Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can everyone lose weight??

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Riniel

Definitely.

And it is a sin that most Christians give each other a "pass" on. There is no need to be fat - despite protestations about "metabolism" problems. Just go to a place like Korea (I have been there) - no fat adults whatsoever. I doubt very much that Koreans are all genetically programmed to be skinny. Likewise, I do not believe westerners are programmed to be overweight.

In support of this, you will some overweight Koreans in Canada and the US, as well as some overweight Korean children in Korea. Reason for overweight Korean kids: they are adopting the horrible food habits of North Americans.

The issue here is rather clearly eating and exercise habits, not genetic destiny.

Gluttony is a huge public health crisis in Canada and the USA.

In some ways what you said was insulting to me. Have you ever heard of a condition called 'Polycystic ovarian syndrome' aka 'PCOS'?

It's a condition that many women get, and 75% of Mediterranean women get it. It is virtually non-existing in asian countries for some reason.

What this condition does, is around the age of puberty in girls, cysts start to form on the ovaries, and it causes the hormones to become extremely imbalanced. The hormones that are out of balance can cause weight gain. I was thin as a bean pole, practically under weight until I was about 10 years old. A few months later after I started gaining weight with no dietary changes, I started my menstrual cycle, and coincidentally on Easter day.....

It wasn't until I was 15 years old and having some pain that virgins shouldn't be getting that I went to a doctor and found out many months later that I had PCOS. My hormones were so jacked up, that I had to start treatment immediately.

As a result of PCOS, I may never be able to have children. I still have a little bit of a weight issue, and the treatment they put me on doesn't cure anything. The cysts can turn cancerous, and I could someday die of ovarian cancer.

I don't eat fast food, and I eat a relatively healthy diet, and I keep track of my calories every day. I love to cook, and I've figured out ways to cook some of my favourite comfort foods, and make them to be half, or even three quarters less fat and calories. I eat a lot of vegetables, and drink a lot of water as well. I believe I have a well balanced diet and exercise routine.

There are many other things that can cause weight issues, like an under active thyroid. Cushing's disease which is hard to diagnose and it is legitimate. Oh, and there are metabolic diseases that can cause weight gain as well. So, don't even say that metabolism has nothing to do with it. In fact, PCOS can cause a low metabolism, and this was coming from three different endocrinologist that I went to see and they all told me the same thing. As far as I know, they are very qualified to make those statements as they are doctors specializing in the biology of the human body, and hormones that the body secretes that can in fact effect the metabolism as stated in the website I linked to the word endocrinologist.

Also, I'm Italian and French. I'm nearly 100% Mediterranean. My grandmother had the same thing and ended up having a hysterectomy when she was 36, and my great grandmother had the same thing. My sister also has PCOS. It is hereditary.

So, until you know what you're talking about and you've researched health issues that can cause weight gain, you shouldn't be acting like a know it all.

Re: Is gluttony a sin?

Gluttony is a huge public health crisis in Canada and the USA.
After watching a number of documentaries on NetFlix related to food and food production; I've become aware that neither gluttony nor over-eating are a health crisis. But rather, obesity is the crisis, and ironically obesity isn't so much the result of gluttony and/or over-eating, but the result of what people are putting in their tummies; viz: sugar, carbohydrates, vegetable oils, and high fructose corn syrup; with the latter being the most common of all because it's in practically everything.

In other words, genetically engineered corn has become public enemy #1 in the war against obesity rather than gluttony and/or over-eating— with carbohydrates a close runner-up as public enemy #2.

Ironically, in the beginning man did very well on sugars and carbs. Now he gets obese and runs the risk of type 2 diabetes when the majority of his diet consists of those two ingredients.

†. Ps 69:22 . . Let their table become a snare before them: and that which should have been for their welfare, let it become a trap.

Cliff<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:tongue></o:tongue>
/

Last edited by a moderator:

In some ways what you said was insulting to me. Have you ever heard of a condition called 'Polycystic ovarian syndrome' aka 'PCOS'?
According to webmd:

The good news is that women with PCOS can actually win the struggle against weight gain. If you have PCOS, certain lifestyle changes can help you both shed pounds and reduce the severity of the disease

I perhaps did not qualify my statement appropriately. I fully acknowledge that maintaining a healthy weight can be more a battle for some than others. I know this myself - as a 50 something person, it takes more work to slay trim than it did in my 20's.

In other words, I believe that ultimately everyone has the power to keep their weight in a healthy range. However, I certainly agree that it is more work for some than for others.

Hi Riniel,

I understand you! I was skinny as a kid, teen and young adult as well. Oh, I dieted...mainly because back in the day, the insurance charts always stated that 98 pounds was the ideal weight for a person of my height (4'11"). I usually was between 108 - 110 so I always perceived myself as being 10 pounds over weight. I spent the better part of my high school years trying to lose that "extra" 10 lbs, even though when I dropped below 105 people became seriously concerned that I was anorexic.

I learned what obesity was though, when I hit my 30's and started gaining weight for no reason. For the longest time, all the image problems I had because of those stupid insurance charts haunted me. I had always perceived myself as having a weight problem so I just blamed things on my weight "problem".

Even though I was gaining weight at the rate of about 10 lbs a year for several years, I still chalked things up to the fact that I was a person with a weight "problem". Then my hair started falling out and my fingernails, toenails and skin began to show some serious issues. I went on a diet and strictly counted the calories of every single thing that went into my mouth. By the end of the week, I should have lost a pound...instead I gained weight. I finally went to the doctor and found out that my thyroid was wonky.

Then I went through a number of years before we were finally able to control my thyroid via medication. During that time, my weight just went up and up and up. After we got the thyroid under control, I asked my doctor if the weight would then start to come off and she just laughed and said, "It doesn't work that way."

I've been given information by my doctors (I've moved several times since my 30's so I've had several different doctors) about "lifestyle changes" that would mean getting the weight off and keeping it off. I've been on several of these "lifestyle changes" regimens and have managed to lose 20 pounds or so...which considering my current weight, dropping 20 pounds still has me at "morbidly obese".

However, here's the thing about the "lifestyle changes"....they suck. They really do. Frankly folks, I don't want to live like that. I don't want to eat salad and low-fat fish all the time. Not only do I dislike the artificial sweeteners that are so pushed by the "lifestyle changes" menus, I think they are far worse for the human body than sugar. Besides, artificial sweeteners give me migraines. I do not enjoy either the food, nor the exercise routines involved in those "lifestyle changes" so touted by health "experts". Living life like that, and then always, always, always, plateauing at around a 20 =/- pound weight loss is just...depressing.

I want to enjoy life in all it's abundance...and that includes good food, good beverages and good fun. I want to eat birthday cake, enjoy Taco Bell Chalupas and pizza and drink Pepsi and down home Sweet Tea. I can sit for hours on the computer right here at cf.net...or (though far less often) watching movies on TV or reading a good novel.

So, this is what I do...I keep my cholesterol, my blood sugars, my blood pressure and all that under control. I eat sensibly; plenty of fruits and veggies and a variety of meats from beef, pork, chicken and fish, (no I don't eat cake or pizza or drink Pepsi everyday). I pump up the Black Eyed Peas and work out on the treadmill, I stay active and really, for being 50 years old and fat, I'm not all that bad. That's my "normal"...but then there are the times I do eat the cake and Chalupas or sit around and watch TV...not all the time of course, but yeah, I do it when I can. I've noticed that, starting around 48 or so, I began to be more sensitive to sodium. I don't use a lot of salt in my cooking, but I am having to be a lot more careful about what's lurking in fast foods...otherwise the blood pressure creeps up. I always get it back down again, but yeah...getting older means that I have to stay on it.

Most folks are really surprised when they find out that I'm 50. Most folks have me pegged for my early 40's at the most. My doctor is fine with me...he commends me on my healthy "stats". But mainly, I'm just much happier and enjoy life a lot more when I live it like I want to.

So, what does any of this have to do with gluttony?

Nothing...nothing at all. I'm not a glutton by any means. Even though as I finish this sentence, I've just polished off a patty of Jimmy Dean sausage and a biscuit, washed down with a Pepsi...(no, not my usual lunch)...I'm not a glutton.

Sure, gluttony can lead to being overweight...but not always. No where near all gluttons are fat, nor are all fat people gluttons. I'm just glad that I'm not my sister. She has the same thyroid problems I have. But, wow, her family are all borderline gluttons. I am always amazed, I mean blown away, at the amount of food her husband, son and daughter can put away. Not only do they eat a lot, they are always eating. My sister really has to work hard at eating sensibly around them. The thing is, they are skinny as rails. Even after having 5 kids, my niece is still quite slim, just sort of loose in the tummy area. Her husband put on 30 pounds after marrying her, because frankly, most people can't eat they way they do and not put on weight. My husband used to be the same way...he would not only finish all his food when we would go out to restaurants, he would finish mine as well, because I can never eat all that they put on the plate (or rather platter at most restaurants). But, now that he's getting into his late 40's, he's realizing that he can't eat like that all the time anymore either. He is currently about 25.8 on the BMI scale...a little overweight and he's finding it harder to get it off than when he was 25.

If a person is a glutton, then they need to address that. God means for us to enjoy our food...everything essential for life and the procreation of life in His creation is meant to be enjoyed. But, not abused. Gluttony is a sin like fornication...it's taking something that God meant for our enjoyment and twisting it into self-indulgence and lust. And, for some people, when they do this with food, they get fat. But, not all gluttons get fat and not all fat people are gluttons.

According to webmd:

The good news is that women with PCOS can actually win the struggle against weight gain. If you have PCOS, certain lifestyle changes can help you both shed pounds and reduce the severity of the disease

I perhaps did not qualify my statement appropriately. I fully acknowledge that maintaining a healthy weight can be more a battle for some than others. I know this myself - as a 50 something person, it takes more work to slay trim than it did in my 20's.

In other words, I believe that ultimately everyone has the power to keep their weight in a healthy range. However, I certainly agree that it is more work for some than for others.

Obviously you didn't read what I posted. I wrote that I have a very well balanced diet, and exercise routine.

I've been to doctors and they don't know why when I exercise and kick my own butt for 90 minutes that I don't lose any weight. I have to work four times harder than a woman who doesn't have PCOS.

I don't have time to work out 4 - 6 hours a day.

I limit myself to 1400 calories a day. For my height and weight, and the exercise that I do everyday except on Sunday as it's the Lord's day, I should be burning about 600 calories a day. My BMR which is the metabolic rate that my body should be burning calories if I were to do NOTHING at all, I should be burning 1873 calories with no exercise at all. So, eating a 1400 calorie diet that is 400 calories a day without even exercising. The 90 minutes that I do everyday is an additional 200 calories that I burn daily.

So, you're continuing to act like a know it all by posting something from a website "assuming" that it applies to every single woman on the planet with PCOS.

So, tell me, Doctor Drew what am I doing wrong with my exercise routine and diet of 1400 calories a day since you're acting like you're a licensed doctor?

Hi Riniel,

I understand you! I was skinny as a kid, teen and young adult as well. Oh, I dieted...mainly because back in the day, the insurance charts always stated that 98 pounds was the ideal weight for a person of my height (4'11"). I usually was between 108 - 110 so I always perceived myself as being 10 pounds over weight. I spent the better part of my high school years trying to lose that "extra" 10 lbs, even though when I dropped below 105 people became seriously concerned that I was anorexic.

I learned what obesity was though, when I hit my 30's and started gaining weight for no reason. For the longest time, all the image problems I had because of those stupid insurance charts haunted me. I had always perceived myself as having a weight problem so I just blamed things on my weight "problem".

Even though I was gaining weight at the rate of about 10 lbs a year for several years, I still chalked things up to the fact that I was a person with a weight "problem". Then my hair started falling out and my fingernails, toenails and skin began to show some serious issues. I went on a diet and strictly counted the calories of every single thing that went into my mouth. By the end of the week, I should have lost a pound...instead I gained weight. I finally went to the doctor and found out that my thyroid was wonky.

Then I went through a number of years before we were finally able to control my thyroid via medication. During that time, my weight just went up and up and up. After we got the thyroid under control, I asked my doctor if the weight would then start to come off and she just laughed and said, "It doesn't work that way."

I've been given information by my doctors (I've moved several times since my 30's so I've had several different doctors) about "lifestyle changes" that would mean getting the weight off and keeping it off. I've been on several of these "lifestyle changes" regimens and have managed to lose 20 pounds or so...which considering my current weight, dropping 20 pounds still has me at "morbidly obese".

However, here's the thing about the "lifestyle changes"....they suck. They really do. Frankly folks, I don't want to live like that. I don't want to eat salad and low-fat fish all the time. Not only do I dislike the artificial sweeteners that are so pushed by the "lifestyle changes" menus, I think they are far worse for the human body than sugar. Besides, artificial sweeteners give me migraines. I do not enjoy either the food, nor the exercise routines involved in those "lifestyle changes" so touted by health "experts". Living life like that, and then always, always, always, plateauing at around a 20 =/- pound weight loss is just...depressing.

I want to enjoy life in all it's abundance...and that includes good food, good beverages and good fun. I want to eat birthday cake, enjoy Taco Bell Chalupas and pizza and drink Pepsi and down home Sweet Tea. I can sit for hours on the computer right here at cf.net...or (though far less often) watching movies on TV or reading a good novel.

So, this is what I do...I keep my cholesterol, my blood sugars, my blood pressure and all that under control. I eat sensibly; plenty of fruits and veggies and a variety of meats from beef, pork, chicken and fish, (no I don't eat cake or pizza or drink Pepsi everyday). I pump up the Black Eyed Peas and work out on the treadmill, I stay active and really, for being 50 years old and fat, I'm not all that bad. That's my "normal"...but then there are the times I do eat the cake and Chalupas or sit around and watch TV...not all the time of course, but yeah, I do it when I can. I've noticed that, starting around 48 or so, I began to be more sensitive to sodium. I don't use a lot of salt in my cooking, but I am having to be a lot more careful about what's lurking in fast foods...otherwise the blood pressure creeps up. I always get it back down again, but yeah...getting older means that I have to stay on it.

Most folks are really surprised when they find out that I'm 50. Most folks have me pegged for my early 40's at the most. My doctor is fine with me...he commends me on my healthy "stats". But mainly, I'm just much happier and enjoy life a lot more when I live it like I want to.

So, what does any of this have to do with gluttony?

Nothing...nothing at all. I'm not a glutton by any means. Even though as I finish this sentence, I've just polished off a patty of Jimmy Dean sausage and a biscuit, washed down with a Pepsi...(no, not my usual lunch)...I'm not a glutton.

Sure, gluttony can lead to being overweight...but not always. No where near all gluttons are fat, nor are all fat people gluttons. I'm just glad that I'm not my sister. She has the same thyroid problems I have. But, wow, her family are all borderline gluttons. I am always amazed, I mean blown away, at the amount of food her husband, son and daughter can put away. Not only do they eat a lot, they are always eating. My sister really has to work hard at eating sensibly around them. The thing is, they are skinny as rails. Even after having 5 kids, my niece is still quite slim, just sort of loose in the tummy area. Her husband put on 30 pounds after marrying her, because frankly, most people can't eat they way they do and not put on weight. My husband used to be the same way...he would not only finish all his food when we would go out to restaurants, he would finish mine as well, because I can never eat all that they put on the plate (or rather platter at most restaurants). But, now that he's getting into his late 40's, he's realizing that he can't eat like that all the time anymore either. He is currently about 25.8 on the BMI scale...a little overweight and he's finding it harder to get it off than when he was 25.

If a person is a glutton, then they need to address that. God means for us to enjoy our food...everything essential for life and the procreation of life in His creation is meant to be enjoyed. But, not abused. Gluttony is a sin like fornication...it's taking something that God meant for our enjoyment and twisting it into self-indulgence and lust. And, for some people, when they do this with food, they get fat. But, not all gluttons get fat and not all fat people are gluttons.

Just a great post.

Luckily I have genes and stay in the average range for my age, still can wear a 34 jean. My wife was thin all her life, but also had hormonal issues that caused unknown weight gain, plus she likes to eat, just didn't gain until the issues.

When I traveled and did mission work in Borneo most of the tribal women were large, they did have high protein diets, but it was more wild food, lot's of fish and carbs, but they were healthy and strong as horses. Skinny women were seem as frail, weakly and unattractive, not talking about model thin, talking what we here would deem a normal average girl of 125lbs. They had many large feast and could eat all day.

Certainly diet plays a role with disease, but for us Americans it's more the type of food we eat.

Obviously you didn't read what I posted. I wrote that I have a very well balanced diet, and exercise routine.
You are mistaken - I did indeed read what you posted. Even if I did not, the claim from webmd is what it is - they appear to believe that weight gain associated with PCOS can be remediated, at least in the typical case.

So, you're continuing to act like a know it all by posting something from a website "assuming" that it applies to every single woman on the planet with PCOS.

So, tell me, Doctor Drew what am I doing wrong with my exercise routine and diet of 1400 calories a day since you're acting like you're a licensed doctor?
I stand by my post - I am inclined to believe the medical authorities at webmd that, at least for the typical case, PCOS weight gain can indeed be dealt with.

Let's be clear - no one, least of all me, is suggesting that weight loss is equally easy for all people. But it really is a numbers game. If your calories burnt exceeds your calories consumed, you will lose weight.

I am quite confident of the following: every person, no matter what "condition" they have, really does have control over their weight (unless, they are immobilized to the point of not being able to exercize). I realize this is offensive to some people, but so be it. I am willing to be proven wrong but please, give us some credible scientific data - anecdotal stories are notoriously unreliable.

Have you ever heard of a condition called 'Polycystic ovarian syndrome' aka 'PCOS'?

It's a condition that many women get, and 75% of Mediterranean women get it. It is virtually non-existing in asian countries for some reason.
Well, it appears that "race" genetics is not the issue here:

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is more prevalent in South Asian women residing in the UK than in Caucasians

Source: US National Library of Medecine, National Institutes of Health.

This does not disprove your assertion that PCOS is virtually non-existent in Asian countries, but I believe it strongly suggests that Asians do not have some sort of "genetic" immunity from the condition.

Let's be clear - no one, least of all me, is suggesting that weight loss is equally easy for all people. But it really is a numbers game. If your calories burnt exceeds your calories consumed, you will lose weight.

I am quite confident of the following: every person, no matter what "condition" they have, really does have control over their weight (unless, they are immobilized to the point of not being able to exercize). I realize this is offensive to some people, but so be it. I am willing to be proven wrong but please, give us some credible scientific data - anecdotal stories are notoriously unreliable.

not always, the metabolism slows down.

i know some doctors who will agree with that and also a few personal trainers.

and i also know that some skinny women(mom) who have high bp and no matter what will have that for life and is also anemic and was told to gain weight as she is 30 lbs to light!

my mil eats kosher and has had 4 bypasses.

and is underweight. genes do play. i asked a doctor on that who was in the field for 30 years and said his sister died from a heart attack, ate well and exercised.

body makes cholestorol. same is the case with mil.
im on the opposite my cholestorol has never touched 170. yet i eat like crap.

it takes for me to loose weight alot more then a few minutes on the treadmill to get where i should be(170).i did the run thing and only loss ten lbs. when i regained it, weight lifting did it and now. i will have to use other tricks if i want to try.

Unless you want to put a qualifier on this that you're speaking only of people with no health issues, you're wrong about this. There have been several times now when I've ensured that my caloric intake is less than my caloric burnage...and yet twice I actually gained weight and once I just maintained.

The first time I gained weight, when according to the numbers game I should have lost, my thyroid was still out of control. As a matter of fact, it was what caused me to go to the doctor and seek testing...I knew that something was seriously wrong, after eating a strict, completely controlled diet of 900 calories per day for 5 days, and I gained weight.

The other time I gained weight, when I should have lost, again following a strict diet and exercise regimen, my thyroid had been controlled via the medication, it was the dieting itself that threw my thyroid out of whack again. Took a few months to get it back under control.

Sometimes it's best for me to just maintain the weight I have...if I diet too strenously it causes my thyroid to get all wonky again. I seem to be able to lose between 15-20 lbs...but if I try to hard to go for more I wind up gaining instead.

Weird, I know, but not uncommon for folks with thyroid diease.

When my thyroid is out of control, there is a lot more at stake than just weight gain. My hands, feet and joints just throb with pain, my neck and throat are sore and my voice is raspy, my hair falls out, my skin looks really bad and my finger and toe nails get bumpy and discolored. I feel and look really sick.

Frankly, I'd rather be fat. Since I don't have any health issues with the extra weight, my blood pressure, cholestrol and blood sugars are all fine and I feel good. My husband loves me no matter what and life is much better than when my thyroid is out of whack.

Over the course of a year, I tend to creep up in weight...so I do try to get it back to a certain level and maintain it.

But, I'm not going to worry about the extra weight anymore...I just don't want to live life having to worry about it. Good health should be the issue, not a number on a scale or a dress size. And, besides the thyroid, which is under control via medication, some arthritis in my hip and getting migraines...I'm in good heath for a 50 year old woman. Hey, I can keep up with my 11 and 14 year old and that's saying something.

Also, Riniel, I agree with the others, you are indeed a beautiful young lady!!!!

Unless you want to put a qualifier on this that you're speaking only of people with no health issues, you're wrong about this. There have been several times now when I've ensured that my caloric intake is less than my caloric burnage...and yet twice I actually gained weight and once I just maintained.
Sorry, I would need to hear something directly from a qualified medical person about this.

I simply do not believe what you are describing is physically possible. Based on my training in engineering and science, I believe it is simply not possible to gain weight if you burn more calories than you consume.

Unless, of course, you eat a block of steel, or something similar.

Again, I stand to be corrected, but it would need to be from a qualified source. With all due respect, anecdotal accounts (yours or mine) are notoriously unreliable.

my wife gained 50 lbs in a year, her thyroid shut down and she ate one meal a day.

that and her meds also caused weight gain. she lost some of that when she was taken of those meds and took thryoxin.

but not all of it. and that is my view with handy. im a bit over but bp is lower then normal, cholestorol below 180 or even 150 at times.

Last edited by a moderator:

I simply do not believe what you are describing is physically possible. Based on my training in engineering and science, I believe it is simply not possible to gain weight if you burn more calories than you consume.

Obviously, when I stated I gained weight not once, but twice following a specific diet and exercise regimen...I lied. Yep, I waste my time coming to this forum to specifically lie to folks all the time! ;)

Reba, I read your article with interest. After conversations with my doctors and my own experiences (which honestly, I don't lie about, I wouldn't share these things if they weren't true, despite some folks opinions of my integrity), I believe what the problem tends to be is this:

The thyroid goes wonky and slows the metabolism rate way down (speaking of hypothyroidism here). Because one feels so sick and one's metabolism rate is just crawling along, one begins to gain weight. However, it's easy to attribute weight gain to all sorts of things, so often, hypothroidism go undiagnosed until after significant weight gain occurs. This is what happened to me. The thyroid diease went undiagnosed for a number of years. I just attributed my weight gain to "being out of shape". Like Jason's wife, I gained a significant amount of weight in a year, but for me, I went several years gaining weight like that.

Then, when the thyroid gets under control, yes the excess build up of salt and water goes away and one loses a few pounds...but the actual weight gain just stays there. So, one diets. However, thyroid medication tends to be attuned to one's body size. So, if there is a significant loss of weight, one's thyroid medication can become less able to control the thyroid accurately and bam...thyroid is all wonky again and more weight gain occurs.

Now that I've been diagnosed and am being treated, I find that maintaining the weight that I was at when diagnosed is...well, not easy, but possible. I tend to creep up anywhere between 15 to 20 pounds in a year, but I also tend to lose that as well, through maintianing healthy eating habits and exercise. It's a see-saw, but it keeps me from consistantly gaining more weight, like I did in the years I went undiagnosed.

But, what I don't try to do any more is try to lose all the excess weight. It's when I try to diet beyond a "maintence" level that things go wonky again. I don't want the thyroid to go wonky anymore (and sometimes it does anyway, like if I get a bad flu or something).

The topic of the thread is gluttony and gluttony is an excess of eating (or excess of other things). My point here is that there are quite a few people walking around who are obese, but are not gluttons. And, there are plenty of gluttons walking around who aren't fat.

Obviously, when I stated I gained weight not once, but twice following a specific diet and exercise regimen...I lied. Yep, I waste my time coming to this forum to specifically lie to folks all the time! ;)
I understand what Drew is trying to say here. No one is saying you are lying, Dora. It just sounds (to me) impossible. It is just like addding a litre of oil into a pot and gainning three.

You know your health condition better than any doctor and Drew. So, you are right...judging physically, it sounds strange

yup, handy.i know of some skinny gluttons.

Ya: my neighbor is a very wiry version of a man. He can pass through the eye of a needle - yet can polish off a whole elephant...and cry out to the world: 'Im starving'.

I understand what Drew is trying to say here. No one is saying you are lying, Dora. It just sounds (to me) impossible. It is just like addding a litre of oil into a pot and gainning three.

You know your health condition better than any doctor and Drew. So, you are right...judging physically, it sounds strange

Physically, life with any disease is strange.

I don't mind, Classik...there is a difference though between saying that something someone said sounds impossible and saying "I simply do not believe what you are saying is possible."

It's possible. I wouldn't have said it otherwise.

From Andrea Cespedes, with degrees from Princeton and Columbia:

A pound equals 3,500 calories. If you eat 3,500 calories more than you burn over the course of a week, or a month, you will gain 1 lb. If you eat 3,500 calories fewer than you burn, you will lose 1 lb.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/458743-can-you-gain-weight-on-a-1000-calorie-diet/#ixzz1hPlYCtJq

I suggest that this person is arguing that it is indeed a simple "numbers" game. I still believe it is not possible to gain weight, or even maintain weight, if your calories burned exceeds your calories consumed.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back