Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can everyone lose weight??

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Re: Is gluttony a sin?

From the Mayo Clinic:

Your weight is a balancing act, and calories are part of that equation. Fad diets may promise you that counting carbs or eating a mountain of grapefruit will make the pounds drop off. But when it comes to weight loss, it's calories that count. Weight loss comes down to burning more calories that you take in.

From Nicole Nichols (Bs. Ed and certified instructor)

Example: If you cut just 200 calories a day from your diet and burned just 300 calories a day by exercising, you'd lose about one pound per week.

This is simple physics - it is not possible to gain weight with a negative energy balance (calories in are less than calories burned).

Again - no one is saying that we all burn calories as "easily". Fred can burn more calories than Joe if both are just sitting there, if Fred has a higher Basal Metabolic Rate than Joe. But the fact remains - Joe will still lose weight if he burns enough calories to offset his calorie intake.

From Jason Karp Phd.

Despite what many inventors of best-selling fad diets would have the public believe, weight loss is a simple issue. Burn more calories than you consume, and you'll lose weight.

It's possible. I wouldn't have said it otherwise.
With all due respect handy, just because you say something is possible does not mean it is indeed possible.

And the same standard applies to me - no one, myself included, is beyond being mistaken when we assert that something is, or is not, possible.

To be fair to those with hypothyroidism (and similar conditions): It is, of course, true that this condition makes it more difficult to lose weight - no one, least of all me, is denying this.

And my pointing out that it is not possible to gain weight if your calories burned exceeds your calories consumed does not mean that I do not empathize with the fact that this condition makes weight management more of a challenge for you.

Grrrrrr Mike...someone is being patronizing and "suggesting" that I'm mistaken about serious health conversations I've had with several doctors due to the fact that I have indeed, not once but twice, created "negative energy balance" and yet still gained weight. I mean, I challenge anyone, anyone at all, to eat only 900 calories a day, for 5 days, walk 1/2 hour, plus work in a busy office at a job which keeps one up and walking for a good part of the day, each every one of those 5 days and not create a "negative energy balance". Heck, I challenge anyone just to stick to a 900 calorie a day diet for 5 days and not lose weight (and not lose their mind as well).

But, noooo, Mike has to come along and pull the plug on a nice, satisfying argument about it that would only serve to point out how petty and argumentative I can be at times. Sheesh, I could have dragged this thread out for at least 5 more pages, just snipping and snapping at Drew. :bigfrown

What do you think the purpose of forum "discussions" is anyway, Mr. Moderator. :lol

OK, OK, I'll be good. :halo :topictotopic for me.

*** I will add that the "challenge" was for snippy purposes only. Do not, I repeat do NOT go on such a drastic diet unless your physician prescribes it...mine was very strict that I wasn't to go beyond the 5 days, wasn't to go more than 1/2 hour of walking, and I had to eat everything on the menu plan, whether I liked it or not...it's something that no one should do without having a doctor oversee the process.

From the National Insitutes of Health (my emphasis):

The failure of some obese subjects to lose weight while eating a diet they report as low in calories is due to an energy intake substantially higher than reported and an overestimation of physical activity, not to an abnormality in thermogenesis

Translation: Personal reports of calorie intake and amount of exercize are unreliable - there is a tendency for people to "fool themselves" about how much they eat (they claim to eat less than they really do), and how much they exercize (they tend to say they exercize more than they actually do).

Now, of course, this is not true for all, but it is something we need to at least consider. All of us - myself included - have the capability to engage in rationalization.

very interesting!

:toofunny
Didn't I rightly say Dora is a comedian? You are absolutely hillarious.

My uncles and aunts are home (including the snoring aunt)...and my mom has ever been busy persecutiving the kitchen.:lol

Join me and let's persecutive....sorry persecute the kitchen.

The stomach is the scape goat. I agree. But how often could we open and shut the door to the toilet?

And time to help mom in the kitchen...and of course steal some meat. Smart people make it.

perhaps a thread on the thyroid.

i can verify what handy says in parts. a friend and my wife have similiar conditions.

with non-functional thyroid one can exercise all you want and it wont heal the damage from that and breathing is shallow and heart murmur or such like is common.

people dont realise what that gland does.

To tell the truth, I'm not all that interested in a thread on the thyroid, but if others are, I can share my experiences.

My interest in this thread is to point out why it's so important not to judge by appearances, as some are wont to do...I might look like a glutton, but I am not. Those who are in good health and take good care of their bodies have no idea what it's like to work and work hard, just to maintain good health and find oneself judged as a glutton anyway.

That and the fact that I felt my fair and good name was being sullied and besmirched. Besmirched I say!!! :grumpy

:lol The ironic thing about this thread is the entire time I've been commenting on it today, I've been baking cookies and my ever famous "Rocky-Road" Rick Krispie treats made with Coco Krispies, marshmallows and chocolate chips.

But, the only one's I'll eat are the oatmeal cookies...everything else has chocolate. Doesn't bother the thyroid any, but chocolate gives me headaches.

Drew, glad to see you concede " this is not true for all"...it certainly isn't true in my case.
I did not concede that some people can gain weight even if their calories burned exceeds their calories consumed.

I said that not all people who are obese are mistaken about their true levels of calorie intake and / or their true level of exercize.

Big Difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back