Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can Politics Be An Idol For Christians?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

rwbovee

I've followed politics for most of my life. As a teenager I dabbled in some American Nazi Party literature, the "White Power" newspaper. And it wasn't good for me. And even today I enjoy reading political articles and writing about politics. But is it possible politics is going to send a lot of people to hell?

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me." Exodus 20:3. You have the Reverand Sharpton and Reverand Jesse Jackson types who can't seem to talk about Jesus in the Democrats. And then in modern times you have all these "Christian Right" people promoting Republican politics. I enjoyed reading the "Last Trumpet Ministries" website by Reverand David Meyers for a long time, but it seemed he was getting increasingly hateful toward President Obama. I remember the last newsletter I read of his in which he seemed very angry toward Obama and saying he was praying that he would die. Then the next month I tried to access his newsletter and they said Rev. Meyers had died. At 60. Pretty young. But I don't think politics should be getting us angry and hateful and violent.

"Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh" Jesus Christ said. We as Christians are supposed to be getting the fruit of the Spirit of love, joy, peace, etc. of Galatians 5:22,23. We aren't supposed to be displaying the lusts of the flesh of Galatians 9:19-21 which include wrath, hatred, and murders. I think many of these Christian Right people are on the verge of where they will be wanting to assassinate President Obama. We as Christians are supposed to love our enemies. "the powers that be are ordained of God." Romans 13:1.

Christianity is not political, my friends. Maybe the pope is telling you to be political, but Jesus Christ didn't say that. David had the opportunity to have killed King Saul, but he believed that was God's business. He prayed for him to be brought down, and he finally was, but David didn't revolt. The Jews in Jesus' day wanted to revolt against Rome, but Jesus advised against that. God was not leading in that and we need to be following God. I think it's time to stop reading these political articles, even newspapers, and just read the Bible. That will build up the fruit of the Spirit in us and not the lusts of the flesh.

Anything that we devote our love and attention to more than our display of love for and service to God,which can be roughly measured by the time devoted,is an idol in our lives.

If you regard politics as anything other than an interesting indoor sport,you are most likely tied up with the world too tightly which can make it impossible to free yourself enough to FULLY serve God rather than a nation or its government.

James 4:4 (New King James Version)

Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back