Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can the faith of Christianity be "proved" beyond a reasonabl

Can the faith of Christianity be "proved" beyond a reasonable doubt?

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
S

SnapCount

I personally think so. I think history speaks for itself.

Hundreds of prophecies were made in the Bible, hundreds have already been fulfilled, including about a hundred about Jesus' life and death, not one of them has been shown to be false.

Christianity thrived even after Jesus died and even when the Romans started persecuting Christians. You don't see that with any other religion.

The Bible is unlike any other book in the history of the planet. Christianity is unique, it is unlike any other religion, past or present.

Although it is better not to be a doubting Thomas, I feel there is nothing wrong with supporting your beliefs with evidence.

Thoughts?

Personally, I would question believing in something without evidence, whether physical/historical and/or experiential. That is not to say that there aren't doubts from time to time but a faith built entirely blind won't last long.

The problem with science is that it is based on observation, and since we cannot see the Lord physically face-to-face, there will be some that will never believe because they will never see the Lord and will always attribute His miracles to be acts of nature and chance.

SnapCount said:
Hundreds of prophecies were made in the Bible, hundreds have already been fulfilled, including about a hundred about Jesus' life and death, not one of them has been shown to be false.

Lol, what 'prophecies' would those be?

Christianity thrived even after Jesus died and even when the Romans started persecuting Christians. You don't see that with any other religion.

Oh, please. Religious persecution is hardly a Christian monopoly. Please read yourself a history book on religion.

SnapCount said:
I personally think so. I think history speaks for itself.

The Bible is unlike any other book in the history of the planet. Christianity is unique, it is unlike any other religion, past or present.

Although it is better not to be a doubting Thomas, I feel there is nothing wrong with supporting your beliefs with evidence.

Thoughts?

While a Christian, I would say that your "evidence" is based on biased interpretation. We as Christians interpret the Old Testamant Scriptures to Christ, but they could be interpreted in many different ways. That is not "evidence". The Christian Scriptures are unique, but so is the Koran and the Hindu Scriptures, in their own ways.

To "prove" Christianity requires that one believes the proclamation that "Jesus was crucified, but God raised Him up". If you believe the Apostles' witness, that is enough "evidence". Thus, when they write a series of letters, we come to believe that these letters were insprired by God. There is no internal evidence to prove that - it is based on belief that the Apostles witnessed something extraordinary and are reliable witnesses to these historical events. I don't think you are going to find the proof that "CNN" would require. What would be interesting would be explaining modern miracles done in a Christian setting.

Christianity has enough historical evidence to support the idea that the Apostles were telling the truth.

Regards

For a Christian, yes, for all, not yet. It will be proved beyond a reasonable doubt when He comes back. :) I think faith takes precendence here.

...made me think of a quote by Pascal:

In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back