Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

CBN & TBN

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

I am a CBN fan and member, but it seems like many here on this board do not like evangelizing by TV. I know for sure that many here hate TBN. Many here think that Jan and Paul Crouch are devils. The station manager of TBN's Philadelphia and Burlington New Jersey station is a member of my church and I am waiting to get hired by the station at some point, so will I become a devil to you guy's ? But anyway we don't talk much about CBN here but I think that Pat Robertson and crew is among the best Christian TV out there. Also like Pats political conservative approach. I think that CBN does a great work for God. They don't seem to be disliked like my girl Joyce Myers who I also think is a top notch preacher. But I was looking at CBN this morning and I just said to myself. These people really are about doing the Lord's will and I thank them and I am proud of them. They had Condaleeza Rice on this morning, who I am also a great big fan of. CBN just continues to impress me. Now many here think that TBN strays away from the truth, now there has been some very questionable folks on there. But Paul and Jan are doing more than most people, in getting out the word of God. TBN has more stations than anybody on the planet bar none. And you don't become that big without God being behind you. I get really angry when people come down on Paul and Jan, sure they have made mistakes, but so have YOU. I do think that Paul and Jan should do a better screening of some of the people that they let on there. But these people are trying to do what many of you won't do, and that is spread the Kingdom of God, and for many TBN and CBN is all the church that they have especially the sick and the elderly. So I ask you what are you doing to reach these people ? Just as I thought nothing.

I am not a TBN or CBN fan or groupie, but I have watched them occasionally over the years and they seemed to fill whatever need or purpose I had in my life at that time. As with most stations, I eat the meat and spit out the bones. So are there some programs on these stations I could watch and enjoy? I would have to say yes. I especially like to watch Pat R. (when he is not sticking his foot in his mouth) because he says what he wants and doesn't really care what others think about it.

I dsagree though that you "don't become that big without God behind you." My former pastor told me long ago that you can operate out of your own will (That's what The Secret is all about). Many times when peopel achieve success they want to thank God...but they should be thanking themselves for their success can out of their own determination and hard work. From your assessment, every successful operation/person got to where they were because of God and we know that isn't true.

I think discernment is needed when watching CBN/TBN programming and Christians shouldn't feel intimidated to turn the channel when certain programs/people appear, like Benny Hinn and Kim Clement to name a couple. God holds us individually accountable for what we do even if we did it because we were led astray by others.

So, like with other things in life we must pick and choose among what we hear, especially in light of the fact that scriptures warn us against false teachers appearing as angels of light, who mix Truth with fiction and try to sell it to us. This is a dangerous and deadly concoction because as you may remember from science a positive plus a negative, equals a negative. Truth + lies = false teaching.

Enjoy TBN/CBN, but don't be afraid to tune them off if what you hear doesn't line up to the Word you've read.

Blessings,
Dee

You are right I should have worded that differently fellow Philadelphian. Because there are power house that have been built by the devil. And then there are power houses that have been built by God. I think that CBN & TBN were built with God's backing.

I personally think it is wonderful to see CBN & TBN doing what they are doing, spreading the Gospel!!!

I have a problem with people that have negative things to say about broadcasters like CBN & TBN but yet they will order HBO and have no trouble watching a movie on Cinam X (as I call it) now please don't take me wrong, I am not judging anyone watching secular TV all I am saying is Christians who have a problem with Christian TV should also have a problem with TV period.

And I had to make some kind of comment here, being I am a native Philidelphian myself :clap

Ill be there in August for my Cheese Steak at Pat's and my Chocolate JR for desert oh how I miss home †

I am not judging anyone watching secular TV all I am saying is Christians who have a problem with Christian TV should also have a problem with TV period.

I don't have TV anyway (watch whatever I watch on Netflicks) so I can't weigh in on CBN. I have watched TBN years ago and at that time I found it so rife with false teachers and false doctrines it was like trying to find one stalk of wheat in a field of tares...so I stopped watching.

I do disagree (respectfully :nod) with the above statement though. Christians have the liberty to watch whatever they want as far as entertainment goes. What a person watches is between them and the Lord.

But, we are commanded to test the spirits and weed out false prophets and teachers. (1 John 4) If I watch Monk or Psyche because I think they are witty and entertaining, that's one thing...but if someone uses a platform like CBN or TBN to preach such atrocities like we are little God's (both Copeland and Hinn are guilty of this heresy) and the producers at CBN or TBN don't pull the plug on them, then CBN and TBN are guilty of allowing false teachers and prophets corrupt the gospel.

Monk and Psyche and other silly tv shows are just that, silly TV shows. False prophets and teachers should be exposed for the wolves that they are though...the Church should be on record throwing them out...not giving them international platforms to fleece the sheep.

I personally think it is wonderful to see CBN & TBN doing what they are doing, spreading the Gospel!!!

I have a problem with people that have negative things to say about broadcasters like CBN & TBN but yet they will order HBO and have no trouble watching a movie on Cinam X (as I call it) now please don't take me wrong, I am not judging anyone watching secular TV all I am saying is Christians who have a problem with Christian TV should also have a problem with TV period.

And I had to make some kind of comment here, being I am a native Philidelphian myself :clap

Ill be there in August for my Cheese Steak at Pat's and my Chocolate JR for desert oh how I miss home †
Drove past Pat's Steaks last week. I have not had a steak from there in a while, but I am gonna soon fix that.
Now back to the topic at hand, yes Dora that is why I said that TBN needs to screen some of those preachers that come there. But otherwise than that TBN is doing a great work in feeding people and bringing the lost to God. They help so many people in Africa and other places, especially in China, where people are still being persecuted.

Drove past Pat's Steaks last week. I have not had a steak from there in a while, but I am gonna soon fix that.

Not to get off topic...but I think it is cruel that you and Danny keep talking about cheese steaks. I just moved to Canada at the end of last year and they don't have cheese steaks. Heck, they don't even sell american cheese! I am so jonesing for a cheese steak right now and I don't know when I will get back home. Please be more mindful of others who may not have access to the delicious delights of Phily.

Ok...back to the topic.:topictotopic

Dee

Not to get off topic...but I think it is cruel that you and Danny keep talking about cheese steaks. I just moved to Canada at the end of last year and they don't have cheese steaks. Heck, they don't even sell american cheese! I am so jonesing for a cheese steak right now and I don't know when I will get back home. Please be more mindful of others who may not have access to the delicious delights of Phily.

Ok...back to the topic.:topictotopic

Dee
Sorry, I thought you were here in Philly:o. You think you will be back by summer ?

Handy you are rite, and I was not saying we do not have the privilege to watch entertaining TV, in fact we are free to do whatever we like so much as it is pleasing to the Lord.

But I do find it sad we will stand up for the station that has "entertaining" TV but also broadcast buffy the vampire slayer or bewitched or many other shows making the enemy of Christ look a little more attractive, yet we condemn CBN or TBN because we do not agree with the doctrine some of the preachers are spreading. I for one do not agree with some of the preachers as well. Again I am not arguing the fact we as Christians have a rite to watch shows like monk and all, I like monk he reminds me of my mom lol but what I am saying is this, We need to stand up for those trying to get the Gospel out to the nations, and if we do not agree with some of their preachers then we need to be proactive about that as much as possible and write to the networks and voice our opinion.

Just dont think TBN and CBN should be put in the same frame.... CBN seems to be a pretty good outfit. Lots of out reach. Good news reporters. hehe ( not a pun)

Looking to work at CBN? Man i just can't imagin the privlidge of working for a Christian outfit! what a blessing....

I wont watch TV that has swearing in it. That leaves movies out...YOU guys are my intertainment :lol

Years ago going to movies was a SIN! Mom told Dad something like ' you dont want her going to movies what you want her to have all that time to PARK?

Mom said Beck just dont watch a movie you wouldn't take Jesus with ya to see.

It stuck ....

Handy you are rite, and I was not saying we do not have the privilege to watch entertaining TV, in fact we are free to do whatever we like so much as it is pleasing to the Lord.

But I do find it sad we will stand up for the station that has "entertaining" TV but also broadcast buffy the vampire slayer or bewitched or many other shows making the enemy of Christ look a little more attractive, yet we condemn CBN or TBN because we do not agree with the doctrine some of the preachers are spreading. I for one do not agree with some of the preachers as well. Again I am not arguing the fact we as Christians have a rite to watch shows like monk and all, I like monk he reminds me of my mom lol but what I am saying is this, We need to stand up for those trying to get the Gospel out to the nations, and if we do not agree with some of their preachers then we need to be proactive about that as much as possible and write to the networks and voice our opinion.

I just think we should have extremely high standards when it comes to what we allow out there as far as the gospel is concerned. A little leaven leavens the whole lump and guys like Copeland and Hinn have done horrible damage to the gospel with some of their outrageous false teachings. Sure, some shows on TBN might be good (I truly can't commet on CBN, but if sister Reba likes it, it can't be too bad!) but the ones that are not send a blurred, confused message that the enemy uses against the gospel and the church.

It's like the old illustration...you visit a renowned chef and he prepares, just for you, one of his most famous recipes. Only the best ingredients are used, aged cheese, fresh vegetables, but unfortuanetly the chef realizes that the egg that is necessary for his dish is totally and completely rotten. He can't make the dish without it, and so he reasons, "Well, this rotten egg is only one of the ingredients. All the rest of the ingredients are perfect in every way. So, since I can't make the dish without the egg, and since it's just a small portion of the whole dish, I'll go ahead and use it." So, he cracks that foul, rotten, stinky egg into the pan. Do you really want to eat of it?

God really doesn't need TBN, CBN, or any other specific vehicle to get out the gospel. As the Body of Christ, we need to stop buying into the idea that a few crackpots don't matter as long as the gospel is reaching far and wide. A "gospel" corrupted by false teaching and greed, is no gospel at all.

Only when TBN removes all false prophets from their line-up will I support them in any way. But, I ain't holding my breath.

Sorry, I thought you were here in Philly:o. You think you will be back by summer ?

I just moved in September, but I am not sure when I will be making the trip back to visit. I hate going thru immigration and being molested by "security" at the airport. My mom plans to visit often (she misses the grands). Maybe I will get her to buy a cooler and pack a couple of cheese steaks for me.

Actually, my health isn't that great right now, so maybe not. That's ok...I've had enuf steaks to live off of the memory (and work off the pounds).:)

Dee

I just think we should have extremely high standards when it comes to what we allow out there as far as the gospel is concerned. A little leaven leavens the whole lump and guys like Copeland and Hinn have done horrible damage to the gospel with some of their outrageous false teachings.

I agree 100%

God really doesn't need TBN, CBN, or any other specific vehicle to get out the gospel. As the Body of Christ, we need to stop buying into the idea that a few crackpots don't matter as long as the gospel is reaching far and wide. A "gospel" corrupted by false teaching and greed, is no gospel at all.
That is true as well, God does not need you or I either but He uses us. Even this forum for that matter, Should we stop coming here because so many disagree with us, or they spread a false doctrine? I don't think so, I think we have to discern what we are watching and what we are reading, and allow the Holy Spirit to guide us.
At least on the Christian networks we see a more positive approach to television viewing, take the commercials for instance, sitting back watching monk (not that it is wrong) I have to put up with the constant commercials on movies I would not allow my kids to see along with a score of adds for just about anything and everything worldly out there. On Christian networks I see Godly commercials, adds for world hunger relief and so on, things we should be concentrating our time on as the salt and light of this earth.

Yes there are preachers on there that we do not agree with, it is the same with secular TV there is much we do not agree with (at least we shouldn't) so I guess my point is I would rather turn the tube off when Copeland comes on, but still have a much more wholesome viewing experience.

This is just my opinion I am not anti-TV nor am I trying to sound legalistic in any form, but I like to keep it real.

I just moved in September, but I am not sure when I will be making the trip back to visit. I hate going thru immigration and being molested by "security" at the airport. My mom plans to visit often (she misses the grands). Maybe I will get her to buy a cooler and pack a couple of cheese steaks for me.

Actually, my health isn't that great right now, so maybe not. That's ok...I've had enuf steaks to live off of the memory (and work off the pounds).:)

Dee
I pray that you get better.

While I am not particularly fond of most Christian TV, I do see that they are obedient to Christ. No, I don't like some of the gimmicks that are used, especially TBN. But to those who criticize, I ask. How are you involved in spreading the gospel? Who made you judge and jury to evaluate whether or not they are of God?

As for some people they have on thier shows, are you sure you're not just seeing the person and how they go about living for Christ, or do you feel that some are preaching another gospel?

I think it would be more beneficial to come on this form and encourage others in Christ.

As for some people they have on thier shows, are you sure you're not just seeing the person and how they go about living for Christ, or do you feel that some are preaching another gospel?
Again, not commenting on CBN...and I don't have a problem with the idea of Christian television at all...

But, TBN....I sincerely believe that many on there preach another gospel, and preach it without consequences by the network. I guess as long as the network is making money? :bigfrown

A forum like this...yes, it attracts non-believers and those who would promote false doctrines as well, but the Christians can and do counter the false with truth.

As far as Who made us judge and jury over those who would spread false gospels? God made the Church to spread the true gospel and to test the spirits. This is certainly biblical. Sitting back and allowing false prophets to use Christ's name to promote unholy and heretical doctrines is what is not OK.

mrroy, I'm not trying to pick on you per se, but I do respectfully disagree with some of your premises, I truly do...I DON'T see most on TBN being "obedient to Christ", I see them preaching falsehoods and lies.

As far as the question..."How are you involved in spreading the gospel?" How about I answer this question with another question:

Is it better for one Christian to share the true gospel to one person or for false prophets to use television to spread a false gospel to millions?

After reconsidering what Dora has been saying all along here, I must reconsider what I have said. I agree as Christians, and promoting a Christian network we need to be sure that network is giving truth. Secular TV is not bound by that same scrutiny, so yes as a Christian we need to pick and chose for ourself what we see on secular TV, but the Christian networks need to be above reproach.

However I think it is wonderful to see Christian TV come so far, but we need to be more pro active as the body of Christ to hold these networks accountable for what they put out there, or who they put out there.

So the question becomes, how do we do that?

You make the changes by call in's e-mails and written letters. CBN does not allow false teachers or preachers. But TBN does but TBN also has some honest to goodness stomp down, teachers and preachers of nothing but the truth backing it up with the Bible.

My approach to Christian TV is the same approach I have towards life in general. Put emotions to one side and take a look at the facts. Joyce Meyer is making vast amounts of money from promoting her books/DVDs etc. Then they show her in India dishing out food in designer clothing.:screwloose<O:tongue</O:tongue

My mother enjoys Creflo Dollar. I decided to take a look, and what was the sermon about? The Hell sounds of Syberia<ST1:tongue</ST1:tongue. :screwloose It took her another year or so to convince me to try again and then his sermon was on how my heart problem was a curse. Now try and explain genetics to this nutter. <O:tongue</O:tongue
<O:tongue</O:tongue

Another guy quoted the Lord’s Prayer to justify his bank balance. :screwloose<O:tongue</O:tongue

So in short; I agree with the above posters that there need to be serious screening done, but who are the guys who can afford to have their mug shots on TV? Not the ones who spread the gospel for free, because they just don’t have the money to pay for it and being on television can cost you and arm and a leg (and a couple of vital organs).<O:tongue</O:tongue

All that being said – I thoroughly enjoy Perry Stone. :lol<O:tongue

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back