Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Celebrating Easter?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Thanks, Reba! :)

Easter is ... the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox.

Ok, I have wondered this for over 10 years and maybe THIS board can answer it: How did we get to using that formua for Easter? I know the use of the formula goes back to AT LEAST the mid 1500's, but that is all I know.

Not that it matters, I just wonder why. Anybody know?

Thanks, Reba! :)

Ok, I have wondered this for over 10 years and maybe THIS board can answer it: How did we get to using that formua for Easter? I know the use of the formula goes back to AT LEAST the mid 1500's, but that is all I know.

Not that it matters, I just wonder why. Anybody know?

Wikipedia has some information about it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter#Date_of_Easter

Christianity today also has an article about it

christianitytoday.com/ch/news/2004/apr9a.html

Regarding the Hebrew lunar calendar, I'm with you and agree with you, Theofilus. I can't understand how there's some people who adamantly state that ancient Israel, or possibly their forefathers did not use the moon for the months. The very etymology of the word "month" is from the MOON, i.e. "moonth". Even in the prophetic calendar which has a fixed 30 days for a month, where did they get that idea? Then.... if the moon does not matter, why not 45 days or 50 days or whatever one wants to call a "month".

But the feasts were definitely determined by the moon, and the years by the riping of the barley (which made an extra lunar month automatically intercalate with the solar year). I've been keeping such a calendar and have no problems. I have issues with some ministries that celebrate Passover by a solar calendar. If it's not full moon, then it's not Passover time, and it is a dangerous thing to change the times and seasons of the Lord.

May I close with the famous words by Sir Isaac Newton who did extensive study in mathematics, astronomy, and religion (he was a theologian as well):

That the Israelites used the Luni-solar year is beyond question. Their months began with their new Moons. Their first month was called Abib, from the earing of Corn in that month. Their Passover was kept upon the fourteenth day of the first month, the Moon being then in the full: and if the Corn was not then ripe enough for offering the first Fruits, the Festival was put off, by adding an intercalary month to the end of the year; and the harvest was got in before the Pentecost, and the other Fruits gathered before the Feast of the seventh month.

BTW, I forgot to mention, the mandate to celebrate Easter the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal Equinox almost always falls on the same day as the Hebrew feast of Firstfruits. Although the holiday itself is pagan, the movable date it falls on corresponds well. If we would simply call Easter Firstfruits instead, it would be biblical according to the set feasts of the Lord.

Both were good reading, but I liked the second one better.

Thanks! :thumbsup

Considering easter is a pagan holiday,no I don't celebrate it.

So the argument of calenders can end. We must not forget that in the times that christians were converting people throughout the world, they had a hard time with certain groups of people and the catholic church made them take up the pagan holidays and build over the pagan temples to bring the pagans to christ. Or that was the thought.
As a christian I do not celebrate easter and other holidays for this reason.

Why do the heathen rage and imagine a vain thing. Look at how silly some people can be. The so-called Jews don't even have the date from Eden, and I do. The so-called Jews don't even celebrate Pentecost, which is the 1st of the 5th month, "pente" meaning five. The so-called Jews of today thinks that Pentecost is a Christian misnaming for the "Feast of First Friuts." The fact remains, there is no calendar known to man that fits into the time period spoken of in Genesis, about the 150 days it took for the waters to abate, and the ark to rest. There's no calendar known to man that fits 150 days from the 17th day of the 2 month to the 17th day of the 7th month. That's a fact!

Why do the heathen rage and imagine a vain thing. Look at how silly some people can be.

Are you implying that everyone who disagrees with you is a heathen?

The so-called Jews don't even have the date from Eden, and I do.

Do you have any idea how arrogant that sounds? In all the world, nobody know this, but you. Onlly one out of seven billion knows the truth. Would you like to enlighten the rest of us, or do you intend to keep this truth all to yourself?

The so-called Jews don't even celebrate Pentecost, which is the 1st of the 5th month, "pente" meaning five.

Actully, it's fifty, not five.

The so-called Jews of today thinks that Pentecost is a Christian misnaming for the "Feast of First Friuts."

For someone who claims to know more than anyone else, you sure get a lot of things wrong. Pentecost is another name for the Feat of Weeks, not First Fruits. The Feast of Weeks is held on the day after the seventh Sabbath afer the Feast of First Fruits (see Leviticus 23). Since the Feast of First Fruits is during the Days of Unleavened Bread, which is in the first month, Pentecost is in the third month, not the fifth. You can read about all the biblical festivals in Leviticus, chapter 23 (except Purim, which is in the book of Esther, and Chaunukah, which is mentioned once in the NT, and was first celebrated "between the testements".)

The fact remains, there is no calendar known to man that fits into the time period spoken of in Genesis, about the 150 days it took for the waters to abate, and the ark to rest. There's no calendar known to man that fits 150 days from the 17th day of the 2 month to the 17th day of the 7th month. That's a fact!

And the fact also reamains that I've already shown you one - the lunar calendar based on the sighting of the new moon. If it were cloudy on the day the new moon would otherwise be seen (not an unlikely scenario, given the circumstances), each month would be declared to be 30 days. 5 x 30 = 150 What's so difficult about that?

What is the point with the TITLE? Regardless of what day from Moses law it is or was??

Are you wanting others to know who it was that had been & still were keeping these Finished Laws of Moses here in Acts, which were Israel of old. Is that the point??? (and not the Acts Extended Church)

These ones had James killed & Peter put in prison & to also be executed it seems after this 'cellbration' day. And these ones had no such power to kill anyone in their Godless Church Fold, but their 'king' Caesar (satan/church/State) was their god, is that what you are getting at with your Easter question? + maybe Gal. 1:6-9 & Gal. 4:9-11

---Elijah

Philippians 3 vrs 8. Yea doubtless,and i count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord; for whom I have suffered the loss of all things , and do count them but dung , that I may win Christ.

Why do the heathen rage and imagine a vain thing. Look at how silly some people can be.
Are you implying that everyone who disagrees with you is a heathen?
Yes

Theo's
The so-called Jews don't even have the date from Eden, and I do.
Do you have any idea how arrogant that sounds? In all the world, nobody know this, but you. Onlly one out of seven billion knows the truth. Would you like to enlighten the rest of us, or do you intend to keep this truth all to yourself?

Theo's
The so-called Jews don't even celebrate Pentecost, which is the 1st of the 5th month, "pente" meaning five.
Actully, it's fifty, not five.

Theo's
The so-called Jews of today thinks that Pentecost is a Christian misnaming for the "Feast of First Friuts."
For someone who claims to know more than anyone else, you sure get a lot of things wrong. Pentecost is another name for the Feat of Weeks, not First Fruits. The Feast of Weeks is held on the day after the seventh Sabbath afer the Feast of First Fruits (see Leviticus 23). Since the Feast of First Fruits is during the Days of Unleavened Bread, which is in the first month, Pentecost is in the third month, not the fifth. You can read about all the biblical festivals in Leviticus, chapter 23 (except Purim, which is in the book of Esther, and Chaunukah, which is mentioned once in the NT, and was first celebrated "between the testements".)
Yeah right, just rip and tear, rip and tear.

Theo's
The fact remains, there is no calendar known to man that fits into the time period spoken of in Genesis, about the 150 days it took for the waters to abate, and the ark to rest. There's no calendar known to man that fits 150 days from the 17th day of the 2 month to the 17th day of the 7th month. That's a fact!
And the fact also reamains that I've already shown you one - the lunar calendar based on the sighting of the new moon. If it were cloudy on the day the new moon would otherwise be seen (not an unlikely scenario, given the circumstances), each month would be declared to be 30 days. 5 x 30 = 150 What's so difficult about that?
Like I said before, it only rained 40 nights, what about the other 110 days? Besides that, I already proved that only a 360 days calendar equate to the 1,260 days equalling 3 1/2 yrs or 42 months, which by the way, is a clue to understanding bible prophecy.

Without this formula it's impossible to understand the 1,260; 1,290; and the 1,335 days/years prophecy. These are clues left by God that proves God's foreknownledge that man would divert from his calendar inorder to disprove his existance. WITHOUT THESE CLUES, I WOULD OF NEVER BEEN ABLE TO CALCULATE THE DATE FROM EDEN. THAT'S WHY I'M 100% POSTIVE THAT I HAVE THE CORRECT DATE AND CALENDAR FROM CREATION. GO FIGURE!

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the point with the TITLE? Regardless of what day from Moses law it is or was??

Are you wanting others to know who it was that had been & still were keeping these Finished Laws of Moses here in Acts, which were Israel of old. Is that the point??? (and not the Acts Extended Church)

These ones had James killed & Peter put in prison & to also be executed it seems after this 'cellbration' day. And these ones had no such power to kill anyone in their Godless Church Fold, but their 'king' Caesar (satan/church/State) was their god, is that what you are getting at with your Easter question? + maybe Gal. 1:6-9 & Gal. 4:9-11

---Elijah
And there's many a ones here decieving. I quote Paul:
2Cr 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
2Cr 11:15 Therefore [it is] no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Re: Celebrating Easter by shaking off the dust of our feet?

I am quite alarmed by all the dust being shaken off here.
"The LORD [is] slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit [the wicked]: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds [are] the dust of his feet." - Nahum 1:3 KJV

"And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet." - Matthew 10:14 KJV

"And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city." - Mark 6:11 KJV

"And whosoever will not receive you, when ye go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them." - Luke 9:5 KJV

"But they shook off the dust of their feet against them, and came unto Iconium." - Acts 13:51 KJV

Consider instead that we are to wash each others feet and allow our feet to be washed by our Master, that it is necessary part of our salvation:

John 13:13-17 KJV said:
"Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for [so] I am. If I then, [your] Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them."

If the disciples shook the dust of a Jewish town from their feet, it would show their intent of separation from Jews who rejected their Messiah. The gesture was to show the people that they were making a wrong choice and were seperate from Jesus himself.

"The righteous shall rejoice when he seeth the vengeance: he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked." - Psalm 58:10 KJV

This is not the time nor the place to have our feet washed in the blood of the wicked, brothers in Christ!

Surely we need to be aware of such things --and the admonishment that although there are tares amongst the sheaves (and there will be disagreement) we need to choose our ground and remain steadfast in the truth. Who then is sent to judge the world, is this you, O man? Or are we told to wait until the time of judgment when angels will be sent to weed out and gather the tares? There are 10 virgins but only 5 wise. Shall we gather oil for our vessels or shall we gather tares? Toward what purpose are we to spread the good news of our salvation and being joined into the Mind of Christ?

Last edited by a moderator:

"The LORD [is] slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit [the wicked]: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds [are] the dust of his feet." - Nahum 1:3 KJV

"And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet." - Matthew 10:14 KJV

"And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city." - Mark 6:11 KJV

"And whosoever will not receive you, when ye go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them." - Luke 9:5 KJV

"But they shook off the dust of their feet against them, and came unto Iconium." - Acts 13:51 KJV

Consider instead that we are to wash each others feet and allow our feet to be washed by our Master, that it is necessary part of our salvation:

If the disciples shook the dust of a Jewish town from their feet, it would show their intent of separation from Jews who rejected their Messiah. The gesture was to show the people that they were making a wrong choice and were seperate from Jesus himself.

"The righteous shall rejoice when he seeth the vengeance: he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked." - Psalm 58:10 KJV

This is not the time nor the place to have our feet washed in the blood of the wicked, brothers in Christ!

Surely we need to be aware of such things --and the admonishment that although there are tares amongst the sheaves (and there will be disagreement) we need to choose our ground and remain steadfast in the truth. Who then is sent to judge the world, is this you, O man? Or are we told to wait until the time of judgment when angels will be sent to weed out and gather the tares? There are 10 virgins but only 5 wise. Shall we gather oil for our vessels or shall we gather tares? Toward what purpose are we to spread the good news of our salvation and being joined into the Mind of Christ?

But NEVER are [open documented sinners] the tares!

--Elijah

And I'm tired of the hypocritical statements.

And I'm tired of the hypocritical statements.

Take a deep breath & just remember that it will ALL BE OVER SOON ENOUGH!

[16] For as ye have drunk upon my holy mountain, so shall all the heathen drink continually, yea, they shall drink, and they shall swallow down, and they shall be as though they had not been. Obadiah 1:16

--Elijah

As I wave thru all the dust flying, I need to ask the following:

Is Easter still considered a pagan holiday to the Christian today?

As I wave thru all the dust flying, I need to ask the following:

Is Easter still considered a pagan holiday to the Christian today?

OF course NOT. It is the day we mark the risen Lord and the empty tomb.
What it meant to some other culture makes do difference to me. :thumbsup

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back