Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Chairperson of non-profit Steps down.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Ed the Ned

I am not sure where to post this, I am just hoping someone might be able to give some advice from a Christian perspective as well as an operational perspective.

I am on the board on a non-profit old age home in South Africa. The current chairperson is stepping down at the next AGM and a new person has been proposed and accepted by the board.

Would it be in the boards best interest if the previous Chairperson remove themselves completely from the board to allow the incoming chairperson to do their job, or can the old chairperson remain on the board.
I have always had the understanding that an out going chairperson remove themselves from the board.

Just looking for some insight, the old age home is not Christian based.

I would think personalities could make a difference... also some times having enough boards members for quorum is difficult ..

I am not sure where to post this, I am just hoping someone might be able to give some advice from a Christian perspective as well as an operational perspective.

I am on the board on a non-profit old age home in South Africa. The current chairperson is stepping down at the next AGM and a new person has been proposed and accepted by the board.

Would it be in the boards best interest if the previous Chairperson remove themselves completely from the board to allow the incoming chairperson to do their job, or can the old chairperson remain on the board.
I have always had the understanding that an out going chairperson remove themselves from the board.

Hi Brother Ed the Ned. You seem to have an interesting dilemma, and it’s apparent you care for doing well at the position God put you. I do not know if the following scriptures are what you’re seeking, but even Jesus paid taxes to a corrupt regime in Mat 17:27. Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.

Now to me this is not saying that we should bow down to the golden image of Nebuchadnezzar as Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, were told to do in Dan 3:6, but like them I do believe Jesus will be with us in the fiery furnace. Dan 3:25.

Eph 6:5 Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ. (In other words, let us be subject to those God put over us as if they were the Lord, and all these things work together for the good of us who love the Lord - Rom 8:28).

1Pe 2:13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;
1Pe 2:14 Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.
1Pe 2:15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:

Romans 13:1-2 "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God."
Daniel 4:17 "This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men."

Blessings in Christ Jesus. Good to see you posting again. :wave2

I would think it'd be easier for everyone if the person stepping down went off to something else completely. what happened at you organization the last time the chairperson stepped down?

At my last governmental employer, which had a five-member elected board, the practice was simply to rotate the chairmanship annually, and there was never any problem or conflict. To me it would depend on (1) why the outgoing chairman is stepping down (problems? conflicts?) and what role the chairman is expected to serve.

Even with very small organizations in the U.S., the chairman of the board has no real day-to-day operating authority or policy-making authority in his own right. That authority is either vested in the board as a whole or in a chief executive appointed by the board. The chairman basically just presides over the meetings, signs documents and whatnot. Sometimes the chairman of the board is also the CEO or president, and that would be a different story.

I've never actually seen a situation where the outgoing chairman left the board, but again the practice in your country could be entirely different. I think the question would come down to the two issues I identified above. In the U.S., the organization's bylaws typically have specific provisions dealing with the role of the chariman, how vacancies are filled, etc. - as well as the grounds for removing someone from the board if the other members want to do so.

It sounds to me like you may be talking about a situation where the chairman has considerable day-to-day operating or policy-making authority and there have either been past conflicts or the other board members at least see the potential for conflicts. If the board is looking for a fresh start for the organization with the new chairman, that isn't likely to happen unless they have a very frank discussion with the old chairman or are prepared to take steps to remove him if he interferes.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back