Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Change in my religious beliefs

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
In a sense of speaking I agree, but to me it seems like genesis or at least the first part, the creation account and the garden of eden, were written in a very obscure eccentric matter

But as I just prayed, I don't know it all.

But it seems that part of Genesis was written like folklore

It shares a lot with other tales from that time...

Here's a bone to chew on as far as the opening chapters of Genesis:

The double, repetetive creation narrative in chapters 1 and 2 is actually carefully crafted, although the themes differ slightly. Have you ever noticed how under God's first name/title given as Elohim in chapter one (only Elohim is used this chapter) is shown first as creating, blessing, and multiplying the creatures (indicating God's love and faithfulness to His creation, if God indeed planned a covenant/relationship with man and the earth from the foundation of the world) whereas when God is revealed as Yahweh in chapter two for the first time His very first thing to do is not to bless (unconditionally bless, at that - as He did in chapter 1) but rather to command (think: law). This is shown in Genesis 2:16 where it says, "The LORD God commanded the man". Elohim is still used (Yahweh Elohim) but when the name Yahweh is present we see the righteousness of God appear as Yahweh, who must command His creature for the sake of righteousness. In chapter 1 then we see blessing and grace, and in chapter 2 we see standards and laws being set forth (even naming & labeling things that are forbidden vs. 17). That is one big thematic difference between the two chapters.

I am teaching a bible study class for my Church each week and we are going through a book on the names of God called The Names of God: Discovering God as He Desires to Be Known that discusses those thematic differences in the discussion of Yahweh in chapter two of his book. There is deliberate order and thematic structure to the opening chapters of Genesis (more than I've mentioned here), you just have to carefully study and look for it.

God Bless,
Josh

OATS- good to hear from you again! Welcome back?

I disagree. If this is true for you, that is fine and good.
River are you saved, are you filled with the Holy Ghost ? If not, how can you know anything about what we are talking about ? Reason because without the Holy ghost you lack understanding, plain and simple.

In a sense of speaking I agree, but to me it seems like genesis or at least the first part, the creation account and the garden of eden, were written in a very obscure eccentric matter

But as I just prayed, I don't know it all.

But it seems that part of Genesis was written like folklore

It shares a lot with other tales from that time...
Just a warning. What satan is after is our faith in Jesus Christ, hang on to Christ like you would hang on to a solid rock in the middle of a raging river. ALL of the bible does not have to make sense,just be truthful with what you read and keep faith in God.

Oats, friend, it is good to see you back. You've taken up wrestling in your time off? :)

That might be a good thing, if you are wrestling AND seeking the Truth. If you've never truly grappled with your faith, this might be a season where He grows it mightily. I just pray that you don't stop wrestling until you've exhausted all your strength and rely on Him to show you His Truth. I believe someone who's never done this to some extent could well be very shallow in his faith. I have a degree in math. I could have simply learned what to do in certain circumstances, or I could have learned why mathematics behave the way they do; the reasons why certain equations work.

Please don't stop fighting to know the Truth and take a "lazy" comfortable spot on the couch. God doesn't want us sitting on the couch, and I don't know that it pleases him as much as when we've cared enough about the Truth to fight for it. I'm not saying you're being lazy. I'm saying I hope you never get to that place.

Certainly other religions have elements of truth, but they are all incompatible with with The Truth when they preach a different Gospel than that of Jesus Christ. I'm really glad to see you back, Oats.

River are you saved, are you filled with the Holy Ghost ? If not, how can you know anything about what we are talking about ? Reason because without the Holy ghost you lack understanding, plain and simple.

Worry not, my friend.
My salvation is between myself and God.
He understands my understanding.

Hey guys thanks for the encouragement, please pray that I can quit smoking as well

I have prayed for you Oats. Hang in there, keep the faith, and always pray. And may God bless you even when times are hard!

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you" (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)

In Christ,
~Josh

Are you having doubt because of the 7 days? We do not know how long one day with God was in human time. His days could have been moments or a million years. Just my thoughts.

I'm starting to have a big shift in my religious belief, it's really hard for me to believe a lot of the bible literally,

My main reason is that life is much more complicated then we knew 2000 years ago, the univere is basically infinite as far as man in concerned

Why would God stoop down so low, what was his purpose in creating?

Ask any artist if not creating is preferable over creating.

I, too, for a while changed my beliefs for a time. Back in 2009, I was a Bahai (but it only lasted for 4 months). I just didn't feel God or Jesus in my life at the time and the people in that belief were not as loving and helpful as in the Christian belief.

So, I came back to Jesus and God. And to Christianity. This is where I find true LOVE & MERCY....Praise the Lord.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back