Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christian Metal. Is it Legitimately what it says it is?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Is Christian Metal really Legit and truly mean what the title says. Is Christian Metal a Genre of Music?

Is Christian Metal music unoffensive to God, or does it welcome the dubbonic?

Are Christians at Risk for listening to this kind of music?

I personally believe that the Metal Voice is a method of speech and not dubbonic.

Some may find it offensive and obnoxious and annoying and irritating but I believe metal speech and metal music doesn't have to be of the devil.

Have a good night - Ignacio

Well, is the peaceful, gentle, gracious, humble Christ evident in music that is commonly associated with violence, anger, fear, and danger? How do screaming guitars, pounding drums, growling and shrieking voices communicate the peace, joy, rest, and love of Christ?

Why don't we watch a funny movie, or one that is romantic, or poignant, to the sounds of heavy/death metal-style music, or to screamo-style sounds? Why is gentle humor, or a kissing scene, or a moment of happy reunion, in a movie never accompanied by thrashing guitars, deafening drums and screaming vocals?

Like calls to like. The man who listens to provoking, aggressive, threatening music is reflecting his inner state in doing so. The dark, fierce, agitated kind of music he listens to is calling to the same within him.

I personally like the sound of metal. I can see how it can be too aggressive and some people cannot handle it. Considering the state of our world, I believe it is not appropriate for aggressive and angry music everywhere. For we all need peace, comfort, and warmth. I believe that all that is needed to survive is Comfort and Protection. So I will listen to soft rock and christian soft rock until heaven. For maybe in heaven there is an even more powerful genre of music. But for now I believe it is best to promote Peace and peaceful music. Have blessed day - Ignacio

The standard isn't what you, or others, may or may not like; the standard is Christ. To him your music choices are to conform. Do they? Do mine? Is the gentleness, peace, rest and love of Christ evident in Heavy/Death metal music? Not that I can see.

I personally like the sound of metal. I can see how it can be too aggressive and some people cannot handle it. Considering the state of our world, I believe it is not appropriate for aggressive and angry music everywhere. For we all need peace, comfort, and warmth. I believe that all that is needed to survive is Comfort and Protection. So I will listen to soft rock and christian soft rock until heaven. For maybe in heaven there is an even more powerful genre of music. But for now I believe it is best to promote Peace and peaceful music. Have blessed day - Ignacio
I would offer nothing of itself is evil save the evil one. It's the lying words that can work to deceive .

I remember when younger 60 years ago saying with most songs I do not listen to the words.Mom I just like the beat. Years later the meaning can chase away a dream. And like the Jews in the wilderness rather than 40 days, forty years. . the long way. You could say a lesson teaching us to listen more intently as he gives us ears to hear his understanding .

Some say the internet is evil. God lovingly commands to go out into the whole world .

I would offer nothing of itself is evil save the evil one. It's the lying words that can work to deceive .

Isn't the act of rape, of itself, evil? Isn't a hideous image of a demon, or depiction of some obscene occult rite, of themselves, evil? In His word, God said a proud look was an "abomination" and that which He hated (Proverbs 6:16-18). It seems to me, then, that the devil isn't the sole thing that is evil in-and-of itself.

Is Christian Metal really Legit and truly mean what the title says. Is Christian Metal a Genre of Music?

I personally believe that the Metal Voice is a method of speech and not dubbonic.

Some may find it offensive and obnoxious and annoying and irritating but I believe metal speech and metal music doesn't have to be of the devil.

What does it bring out and stimulate, the good or the baser feelings and passions. I think you will find the answer.

Hey All,
When he was based here in Southern California pastor Bob Beeman started Sanctuary International in 1985. A church where those who became believers through the ministry of Christian heavy metal music had a place to land and grow in grace. He is now in Tennessee, 70 years old, and still going. Here is a short bio.

Pastor Bob Beeman has been on the cutting edge of Christian music for over 40 years. Since opening Sanctuary International in 1985, his focus has been on pioneering Christian Heavy Metal as a ministry. His dedication to discipleship and mentoring have spawned countless metal ministries and festivals worldwide. Pastor Bob travels and speaks internationally, though very close to his heart is his little home on a lake near Nashville Tennessee. Pastor Bob founded “The Bridge Bunch” a Nashville area ministry that monthly serves thousands of meals to the homeless. He hopes that in addition to helping those in need, the activity will serve as a model to others with the same calling on their heart. Pastor Bob is an avid podcaster, and is the host of the popular “Pastor Bob DAILY!” on YouTube.

"Always remember that you are NOT a misfit to God. He has a plan for you – and knew exactly what he was doing when he made you. Your life will always find completion in HIM!!" Bob
Beeman

So yes, I know Christian Metal can be legit. It has its place in accomplishing God's will. Keep walking everybody. May God bless,
Taz

Personally I don't care for any kind of heavy metal bands, but when it comes to Christian heavy metal bands that I have heard does witness and testifies of Christ by the Biblical lyrics that are brought forth. I have seen many of the youth come to the Lord as these bands break away from the music for awhile to give time to share the Gospel message of God's salvation through Christ Jesus with the audience. If this is a way to reach the youth then I for one am all for it. Anyone can get a copy of the lyrics.

I See it is Fifty Fifty. I am going to be safe on this one and NOT Support Christian metal. Fifty Percent say it is godly, Fifty percent say it isn't. What if those that believe it is of God are wrong? I will listen to the soft rock and acoustic songs of all the metal bands and keep my music library acceptable to everyone. Peace - Ignacio

I See it is Fifty Fifty. I am going to be safe on this one and NOT Support Christian metal. Fifty Percent say it is godly, Fifty percent say it isn't. What if those that believe it is of God are wrong? I will listen to the soft rock and acoustic songs of all the metal bands and keep my music library acceptable to everyone. Peace - Ignacio

Since when does majority opinion decide what God's truth is? God's truth is not up for a vote. He tells us what is true, not the other way around. And so, when it comes to what the truth is about "Christian" heavy/death/screamo metal music, the way to find out isn't to ask the crowd, but to apply God's word, His truth, to the matter.

God's word, the Bible, reveals to us that Christ is the Prince of Peace, not the Prince of Aggression, Provocation and Anger. Christ invites us into rest and joyful fellowship in himself, not agitation; Christ is meek, gentle, and loving; he is Life and Light; he is joy (Isaiah 9:6; Matthew 11:28-30; John 1:4-5; Galatians 5:22-23). Are these things plainly evident in "Christian" heavy/death metal/screamo music? No. Perhaps the lyrics have some truth in them, but the accompanying music is so threatening, and dark, and aggressive in its character that, at best, the truth in the lyrics is badly diluted. When I listened to the "Christian" death metal my nephew played for me, though, I couldn't make out the lyrics at all (he had to read them to me afterward). The music itself, however, prompted me to think, not of Light, Love and Life, not of Jesus, but of threatening darkness, danger, rage, pain and aggression. Coupled to semi-biblical lyrics, the effect of the song was to produce confusion, as is always the case when one attempts to mix light and dark, good and evil.

We recognize that sound is not always amoral, impacting us entirely neutrally, by the choice of sounds that commonly accompany various events that are played out in movies, or that are the background to advertisements, or are linked to various ideas and behaviors in pop music and culture. As I already pointed out in this thread, the music that is the "backdrop" for a romantic scene is not suitable as the "backdrop" for a murder scene; the music framing a comic moment in a movie isn't appropriate for an intensely dramatic moment; a t.v. commercial selling laundry soap doesn't typically employ the music of a horror movie, and so on. The idea, then, that raw sound, music without lyrics, has no physiological/psychological impact on a human listener is nonsense.

Sometimes, Christians try to argue for heavy/death metal music by pointing to advocates of the music who appear to be achieving "great things" for God. But this is fallacious reasoning, at best, employing a kind of "ends justifying the means" thinking, which is a profoundly morally-corrupt way to justify anything. We wouldn't say, for instance, that holding pagan, Wicca rituals in one's church was a right thing to do, even if the goal was to lead Wiccans to Christ and a Christian devotional "sanctified" the event. We wouldn't agree that beating a rebellious boy near to death was good if it kept the boy from being disobedient to his parents. We wouldn't advocate for the ministry of a pastor who had sex with hookers so that he could evangelize them - even if he appeared to lead some of them to faith in Christ. In the same way, it is fallacious to reason that, because a heavy/death metal musician, or fan, uses heavy/death metal music to promote the Christian faith in some way and positive spiritual results appear to have resulted, therefore doing so is fine.

2 Corinthians 6:14-18
14 ...what fellowship has light with darkness?
15 What accord has Christ with Belial?...
16 ...For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, “I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you,
18 and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty.”

Ephesians 5:8-11
8 for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light
9 (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true),
10 and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord.
11 Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.

Philippians 4:8
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

James 3:17-18
17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.
18 And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

Hey All,
Seven times in Psalms it says to make joyful noise SupporterOfCristo. I will quote the one in Psalms 98 because it also tells us to use musical instruments.

Psalms 98:4-8 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.
Sing unto the LORD with the harp; with the harp, and the voice of a psalm.
With trumpets and sound of cornet make a joyful noise before the LORD, the King.
Let the sea roar, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.
Let the floods clap their hands: let the hills be joyful together

David was not describing chior music. He wanted a loud noise. He wanted the sea to roar. He wanted hand clapping. There is nothing wrong with chior music. It is beautiful and wonderful. But the problem with it is the average "metalhead" won't listen to it.

It is not a sin to create, play, or listen to this type of music. To equate it to sin is in my opinion immoral. You don't have to agree with something, or like something. But calling a Christian act of making a joyful noise a sin equal to prostitution, as one person has done in this discussion, steps over the line SupporterOfCristo. I submit that the argument against it is a straw man showing personal bias instead of facts.

I have been to live performances of Christian Metal bands. For the bands it is a ministry. I have seen it's effect firsthand. Men and women, and teens walking down front and publicly commiting their lives to Jesus. These are people who wouldn't darken the door of a "normal church." (Some churches would probably not let them in.) I have seen people who society in general would call "complete losers" change into responsible adults. Yeah they still had long hair and beads but their lives were clearly changed. Their bills were paid. They provided for their families. They paid their taxes. They were good upstanding citizens. (Who happened to have long hair and like loud music.) I have seen ex-witches, and ex-prostitutes, transgender folks, you name it, have changed lives through Christian Metal music. I worked with them in the late 1980s and early 1990s. So you can understand my passion when someone tries to tell me these people don't count because they weren't saved in the "normal way."

Back in the 1970s we had the"Jesus freak" movement (so labeled by the normal churches) when Christian Rock was starting out. Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa California used to have Friday night concerts to invite these people who otherwise would never go to church. They grew so fast that by the mid 1970s there were about 25,000 attending services every week. Satellite Calvary Chapels rose up in the surrounding cities of Southern California so people didn't have to drive so far. Now there are Calvary Chapels in most states, and some foreign countries. That is what Jesus rock did when someone stopped acting like these people were freaks.
We had a saying back then. "Jesus doesn't turn people into freaks. He turns freaks into people." I hope this helps SupporterOfCristo.
Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

I'm just getting into worship music again right now. It's sooo peaceful right now. Just what I needed.

I'm kinda curious the songs you're talking about though. Will have to look into christian metal sometime.

Since when does majority opinion decide what God's truth is? God's truth is not up for a vote. He tells us what is true, not the other way around. And so, when it comes to what the truth is about "Christian" heavy/death/screamo metal music, the way to find out isn't to ask the crowd, but to apply God's word, His truth, to the matter.

God's word, the Bible, reveals to us that Christ is the Prince of Peace, not the Prince of Aggression, Provocation and Anger. Christ invites us into rest and joyful fellowship in himself, not agitation; Christ is meek, gentle, and loving; he is Life and Light; he is joy (Isaiah 9:6; Matthew 11:28-30; John 1:4-5; Galatians 5:22-23). Are these things plainly evident in "Christian" heavy/death metal/screamo music? No. Perhaps the lyrics have some truth in them, but the accompanying music is so threatening, and dark, and aggressive in its character that, at best, the truth in the lyrics is badly diluted. When I listened to the "Christian" death metal my nephew played for me, though, I couldn't make out the lyrics at all (he had to read them to me afterward). The music itself, however, prompted me to think, not of Light, Love and Life, not of Jesus, but of threatening darkness, danger, rage, pain and aggression. Coupled to semi-biblical lyrics, the effect of the song was to produce confusion, as is always the case when one attempts to mix light and dark, good and evil.

We recognize that sound is not always amoral, impacting us entirely neutrally, by the choice of sounds that commonly accompany various events that are played out in movies, or that are the background to advertisements, or are linked to various ideas and behaviors in pop music and culture. As I already pointed out in this thread, the music that is the "backdrop" for a romantic scene is not suitable as the "backdrop" for a murder scene; the music framing a comic moment in a movie isn't appropriate for an intensely dramatic moment; a t.v. commercial selling laundry soap doesn't typically employ the music of a horror movie, and so on. The idea, then, that raw sound, music without lyrics, has no physiological/psychological impact on a human listener is nonsense.

Sometimes, Christians try to argue for heavy/death metal music by pointing to advocates of the music who appear to be achieving "great things" for God. But this is fallacious reasoning, at best, employing a kind of "ends justifying the means" thinking, which is a profoundly morally-corrupt way to justify anything. We wouldn't say, for instance, that holding pagan, Wicca rituals in one's church was a right thing to do, even if the goal was to lead Wiccans to Christ and a Christian devotional "sanctified" the event. We wouldn't agree that beating a rebellious boy near to death was good if it kept the boy from being disobedient to his parents. We wouldn't advocate for the ministry of a pastor who had sex with hookers so that he could evangelize them - even if he appeared to lead some of them to faith in Christ. In the same way, it is fallacious to reason that, because a heavy/death metal musician, or fan, uses heavy/death metal music to promote the Christian faith in some way and positive spiritual results appear to have resulted, therefore doing so is fine.

2 Corinthians 6:14-18
14 ...what fellowship has light with darkness?
15 What accord has Christ with Belial?...
16 ...For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, “I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you,
18 and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty.”

8 for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light

Philippians 4:8
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

James 3:17-18
17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.
18 And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.
Why do you call it death metal if the lyrics are taken straight from the word of God, which is life? There is no aggression, provocation and anger coming from Christian heavy metal bands as what comes out of it is the youth coming to Christ as even though we might not understand the lyrics, they can. There are all kinds of genres of music, but not all genres are for everyone.

Psa 150:1 Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.
Psa 150:2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
Psa 150:3 Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
Psa 150:4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
Psa 150:5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
Psa 150:6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

Music is music. Listen to what you like and don't worry about it.

Hey, SupporterOfCristo. I hope you won't make the mistake others are making in understanding what I wrote. to think that an example (a pastor having sex with a prostitute in order to evangelize her) of a bad principle of reason (ie. the ends justifying the means) that I offered is the same as "making a joyful noise unto the Lord." The example was given to demonstrate the serious problem with thinking that the ends (evangelism) justify the means (sex with a prostitute). And the example was rather extreme so that the problem with thinking the ends justify the means was very evident. The point of my example was to show how this sort of thinking is bad, that it lends itself to very twisted thinking and behavior, and so ought to be carefully avoided (especially by Christians); it was NOT to say that "making a joyful noise unto the Lord" was to justify the means by the end. Nowhere did I even hint at such a thing.

It's slippery reasoning, a kind of fallacious "equivocation of terms," that equates any musical "noise" with the "joyful noise" that the Psalmist wrote about. You can be certain the Psalmist DID NOT have heavy/death metal in mind when he wrote what he did about a "joyful noise." The only ones making anything like heavy metal music in the Psalmist's time were the pagans, who, during their evil rituals, pounded their drums at a deafening level in order to drown out the screams of the children they sacrificed to their demonic gods. This is nothing like the "joyful noise" the Psalmist wrote of and neither is the blasting drums, screaming guitars and growling, howling vocals typical of heavy/death metal "music."

In every place in the Psalms where the phrase "joyful noise" is used, it is always chiefly connected, not to instrumental "noise," but to singing.

Psalm 66:1-3
1 Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands:
2 Sing forth the honour of his name: make his praise glorious.
3 Say unto God, How terrible art thou in thy works! ...

The ESV renders this passage as follows:

1 Shout for joy to God, all the earth;
2 sing the glory of his name; give to him glorious praise!
3 Say to God, “How awesome are your deeds! ...

The NASB puts it like this:

1 Shout joyfully to God, all the earth;
2 Sing the glory of His name; Make His praise glorious.
3 Say to God, "How awesome are Your works! ...

In "noise-making to the Lord," joyful voices lifted in glorious praise of God are described, not entertainers on a stage, fog machines and lights dazzling the eye, high-volume drums and guitars blowing the ears off their audience. Nothing like this was in the mind of Psalmist when he urged Israel to worship God. And the Psalmist certainly wasn't thinking the "noise-makers" would sell tickets to hear them "praise God," or hawk albums, t-shirts and posters to their fans. Instead, congregational singing was what the Psalmist was urging:

Psalm 81:1
1 Sing aloud unto God our strength: make a joyful noise unto the God of Jacob.

Psalm 95:1
1 O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.

Psalm 98:4-5
4 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.
5 Sing unto the LORD with the harp; with the harp, and the voice of a psalm.

Psalm 100:1-2
1 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.
2 Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.

And what about the instruments? Were they to be of a sort and at such a volume that the singing of "glorious praise" to God was impossible to make out, as is often the case with "Christian" heavy/death metal? None of the Psalms that urge a "joyful noise" indicate any such thing. Instead, they list harps, lyres, trumpets and tambourines. That's it. No drums, you'll notice, which were a favorite instrument of pagans.

One other thing you might want to take note of is the how poor the argument is that "metalheads," fans of metal music, can't possibly be evangelized except by doing so with metal music. This positions the musical preference of the "metalhead" as the crucial element in evangelizing them, however, not the power of God, the drawing, convicting and illuminating power of the Holy Spirit (John 6:44; John 16:8; 2 Timothy 2:25b). But Scripture is very clear that God needs nothing but Himself, His own power, to save a person. God is entirely sufficient all by Himself to save any "metalhead" He knows will trust in Christ as Savior and Lord. All the "metalheads," then, whom God knows in His omniscience will come to a saving faith in Christ, will come even if they never hear the Gospel in a metal music concert. God is the important thing in salvation, not me or you, not our "seeker-sensitive" approach to the lost, not our careful building of friendships with the lost, not our clever evangelistic patter, not emotional manipulation in a carefully-orchestrated evangelistic service. God needs none of these things and we lie to ourselves and to each other when we position any of these things in evangelism such that they equal, or exceed, in priority God's saving power and work.

What insinuating these things into evangelism often does is dilute and/or confuse the Gospel and distract from the necessity of the saving power of God in evangelism. Effective evangelism is, you see, the product of a holy, Christ-centered life, a life submitted to the will and way of the Holy Spirit and thereby filled with Him, with His power. This was the way the newly born-again disciples brought three thousand strangers into God's kingdom in Acts 2. No relationship-building, no manipulative music, no appealing to the preferences of the "seeker," just the preaching of the Gospel in the power of the Spirit. It's completely false, then, to propose that the metalhead can only be reached with the Gospel by way of "Christian" metal concerts. Biblically, this is a bunch of baloney and, in the case of "Christian" metal music, has resulted in the mixture of light with darkness and the merchandising of worship of God.

So, SupporterOfCristo, be careful of the reasoning some Christians employ in justification of compromise with the World and the Flesh (and, perhaps, the devil, too).

The Regulative principle of worship in Christian theology teaches that the public worship of God should include those and only those elements that are instituted, commanded, or appointed by command or example in the Bible. In other words, it is the belief that God institutes in Scripture whatever he requires for worship in the Church, and everything else should be avoided.

The regulative principle of worship states that the corporate worship of God is to be founded upon specific directions of Scripture. On the surface, it is difficult to see why anyone who values the authority of Scripture would find such a principle objectionable. Is not the whole of life itself to be lived according to the rule of Scripture? This is a principle dear to the hearts of all who call themselves biblical Christians. To suggest otherwise is to open the door to antinomianism and license.

In other words, when God established the Tabernacle, He instituted the form of worship He desires. He is God so why wouldn't He know in which way He wants to be worshiped? Well, He did. A biblical church is one in which they obey God's commands on how He wants to be worshiped.

The "regulative principle" is often contrasted with the normative principle of worship, which teaches that whatever is not prohibited in Scripture is permitted in worship, so long as it is agreeable to the peace and unity of the Church. In other words, there must be agreement with the general practice of the Church and no prohibition in Scripture for whatever is done in worship.

Personally, it is better to obey than sacrifice (1 Sam. 15:22-23.) Do you understand this?

Anything not prescribed in Scripture towards the worship of God would be "strange fire." A deeper study into this should be followed up.

Why do you call it death metal if the lyrics are taken straight from the word of God, which is life? There is no aggression, provocation and anger coming from Christian heavy metal bands as what comes out of it is the youth coming to Christ as even though we might not understand the lyrics, they can. There are all kinds of genres of music, but not all genres are for everyone.

There is a style or category of music described as heavy and/or death metal. It's characterized by very high volume, a pounding, dominating beat, wailing, screaming guitars, and a growling, howling vocal style that, to me anyway, often sounds like someone in pain, or who is threatening another, or who is in a mad rage (or all of these together). Death metal is just a more extreme type of heavy metal music, as is "screamo" metal music, which is, I think, more extreme still than death metal.

In any case, trying to sanctify the metal style of music by attaching biblical lyrics to it is like trying to pretty-up a pig covered in filth by tying a big, satin bow on it. As I pointed out, sound has an effect on human beings, encouraging certain brain states and biochemical reactions in them entirely apart from any verbal message. This is why certain events in movies are typically accompanied by certain types of music. The music accompanying a romantic moment in a rom-com movie, for example, is not the sort of music that accompanies a moment of danger in a thriller-type movie; the musical score for the "Sound of Music" is very different than the score for, say, " A Nightmare on Elm Street." Certain styles of music make us pent-up and anxious, some relaxed and sleepy, some thoughtful and creative, and so on, all entirely without lyrics.

When, then, music that prompts aggression and anger, that is provocative rather than peace-making, that agitates rather than prompts rest, as metal music does, is coupled to biblical truth, the effect is a corruption of biblical truth, not the sanctification of the music. If you drop a dog turd in a pitcher of crystal clear, distilled water is the turd purified? No. So, too, when the music of the World, music devoid of the gentleness, meekness, love, peace and rest of Christ is mixed with God's truth.

2 Corinthians 6:14
14 ...For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

There is a style or category of music described as heavy and/or death metal. It's characterized by very high volume, a pounding, dominating beat, wailing, screaming guitars, and a growling, howling vocal style that, to me anyway, often sounds like someone in pain, or who is threatening another, or who is in a mad rage (or all of these together). Death metal is just a more extreme type of heavy metal music, as is "screamo" metal music, which is, I think, more extreme still than death metal.

In any case, trying to sanctify the metal style of music by attaching biblical lyrics to it is like trying to pretty-up a pig covered in filth by tying a big, satin bow on it. As I pointed out, sound has an effect on human beings, encouraging certain brain states and biochemical reactions in them entirely apart from any verbal message. This is why certain events in movies are typically accompanied by certain types of music. The music accompanying a romantic moment in a rom-com movie, for example, is not the sort of music that accompanies a moment of danger in a thriller-type movie; the musical score for the "Sound of Music" is very different than the score for, say, " A Nightmare on Elm Street." Certain styles of music make us pent-up and anxious, some relaxed and sleepy, some thoughtful and creative, and so on, all entirely without lyrics.

When, then, music that prompts aggression and anger, that is provocative rather than peace-making, that agitates rather than prompts rest, as metal music does, is coupled to biblical truth, the effect is a corruption of biblical truth, not the sanctification of the music. If you drop a dog turd in a pitcher of crystal clear, distilled water is the turd purified? No. So, too, when the music of the World, music devoid of the gentleness, meekness, love, peace and rest of Christ is mixed with God's truth.

2 Corinthians 6:14
14 ...For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?
To each their own genre as if it brings those to the Lord I would think God is in favor of it. End of story will not drag it out. Psalms 150 sounds pretty loud to me, just saying.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back