Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christianity and pure Bushido

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Dan1966

I became attached to the discipline of pure Bushido during my service in japan with the US Navy, of course I attended a Christian ministry at the same time. I have been a practicing Iaido-ka (martial swordsman) since 1986.

Many people, especially old enough to remember World War II, often equate Bushido with the Kamikaze and the crimes of the Imperial Army of Japan across Asia but that was Bushido seriously corrupted and perverted by the Imperial warloads and they certainly paid for their abuses in full measure.

In reality, besides the Christian Samurai who were Martyred for their belief in Christ, very few Samurai achieved purist Bushido in that they never drew their swords other than in required combat. It is actually a violation of the Bushido code to cut down another person, especially an unarmed peasent even if an offense no matter how slight was offered, unless in the absolute need of combat. Even dueling was forbidden unless it was strictly regullated.

The majority of Samurai were thugs, theives and abusers often masterless roamers of the country, or what were called Ronin. And most of these were the "young and dumb" tuffs who had no concept of what being samurai was.

Bushido is not a religion, another western misconception, but a way of living, a rigid codex of behavior in which a constant tennant is having a faith in a diety for without such how can one establish the other tennants of just living? Even the most famous Samurai, Myamoto Musashi, stated that any Samurai's first duy was to the Gods before others.

In many of their own writings, Samurai who were prominant in their times or had become monks often site worship and faith first in their advice to younger Samurai. They were instructed to pray daily, owing first and last to Gods, then to parents then to master then to clan then lastly thinking of self.

True Bushido frowned on drunkeness, carousing, loose living, spending without abandon, lavishness. There is much in purist Bushido that fits to a Christian life, which is why I addopted it to my own life.

its been said that japan is actually part of the lost tribes of isreal.

much of the mysticism of kaballah is similar to some of the zen and Taoism.

interesting ministry you might have to the lost that are into the arts or the japenese and other asiatics since they are into eastern thought. not my cup of tea per se.i do mma and its taught with a Japanese mentality of training and that is ok but we don't go into this.one could but we don't.if elias does it not directly said. I will ask when he comes back off of a break.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings.

I've been a bit interested in traditional Japanese teachings because I've been doing Kendo for a bit now and Karate for half of my life. Although those martial arts aren't entirely traditional the way they are taught here and nowadays (it's really more about sports and competition than about mental practice and character building) they're still giving an idea about the spirit behind them.
A few weeks back I read the wikipedia article about bushido basically because I was trying to learn more about the roots of Kendo. Reading about it I also thought that bushido values would go well with christianity, and maybe add new perspectives to practicing christianity, and I should study that further. But we know what happens to resolutions that start with "I should do XY..." :lol

so....
Can you recommend anything (books, websites,...) I could read about bushido?
Is bushido as a system of values still relevant in modern Japan?
Do Iaido-ka actually fight, or is it all about kata? Do you use real swords or wooden ones? Do you speak Japanese?

Can you recommend anything (books, websites,...) I could read about bushido?

The best book is one by Japanese teacher Inazo Nitrobe which was written around the time of Emperor meji in the late 1800's

Paul Nowak's "The Way of the Christian Samurai"

The Hagakure http://judoinfo.com/pdf/hagakure.pdf

Is bushido as a system of values still relevant in modern Japan?

Surprisingly there are still many who follow the tennants, mostly the older generations. The common
traits of loyalty, modesty, discipline, respect and accountability still have influence.

Do Iaido-ka actually fight, or is it all about kata?

Now it's more to preserve the legacy and heritage with emphasis on disipline and improving the
self. Kata of course is never perfect or good enough so there is a strive to better every form.

Do you use real swords or wooden ones?

I have both. My sword was a gift from my friends in Japan upon my retirement from the Military
as a charm of blessing for my home, it sits above the entry and was crafted by Nanao Shimozaki
of Shimabara, Kyushu.

Do you speak Japanese?

I'm not totally fluent, roughly 60 percent. I can write it more than speak.

I was trying to learn more about the roots of Kendo.

Kendo grew out of the fighting age after Eaysu became Shogun in 1600 and the Samurai were in essense "out of the job". Duels and fights started to become less frequent and Samurai became monks or builders of martial schools like The Yagu school. The Bokken wood sword replaced the steel one for contests of skill between the rival schools and continued to the moden era. Kendo was banned under the US Occupation from 1945 to 1954 but came back as an elementary, middle and high school sport in the 1960's.

If I am allowed, I wrote a 46 page manuscript on my thoughts of Bushio and Christianity and why one serves the other. I would like to share it.

Wait your grandpa killed someone and then stole the dead guy's sword? The sounds dishonourable to me.

it doesn't its called right of war. still done today. the officers like dan also knew how to kill with that sword. so I would take one do and if I knew how to use it. I would if I ran out of ammo and had to stay alive.we made the Japanese destroy thousands of those swords after the war.

Back