Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christianity and the Hijab

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
M

muslimdude

Hello All :)

I am a muslim (as you can see from my username lol), and I come in peace!

Anyhow, I know many Christians find the concept of Islamic Hijab strange. But in Corinthians (which is from the new testament, i believe), it does allude to head coverings, or at least it seems that way. This is the verse I am talking about:

“Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head (4).But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven (5). For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered (6). For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man (7). For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man (8). Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man (9). For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels (10). Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord (11). For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God (12). Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? (13)

Anyhow I am not here to debate this or anything. I just want to get the perspective from Christians as to what they feel this verse means.

Hope to hear from all you guys soon :)

Your topic was somewhat discussed in this other thread not too long ago:

http://www.christianforums.net/f21/womens-head-coverings-while-worshiping-31213/

Personally, I have no problem with headcoverings or women choosing to wear them.

Edit: And welcome to the forum, btw. :wave

Thanks PouringRain, and nice to meet you :)

So I was reading the thread and was quite surprised some Christian sects promote it (such as Pentecostal). I'm assuming the Baptist sect is against this practice though?

From old pictures etc, I assume many christian women in the old days, especially in Eastern European countries and the Middle East, used to cover their heads regularly. So why do you think the practice is less common now than it was in the past?

Because it was never a commandment or a "thou shall...."

It was a cultural thing, and remains to be that way. Paul gave that advice, specifically, to the Church in Corinth. Now it's more of an outward display of reverence for some in the Church. Just like wearing your "Sunday best" :)

PS: the thread implied that the Baptists do promote it by wearing hats in church. Whether their hearts are in the right place or not is not for me to judge though

Thanks PouringRain, and nice to meet you :)

So I was reading the thread and was quite surprised some Christian sects promote it (such as Pentecostal). I'm assuming the Baptist sect is against this practice though?

From old pictures etc, I assume many christian women in the old days, especially in Eastern European countries and the Middle East, used to cover their heads regularly. So why do you think the practice is less common now than it was in the past?

i am pentacostal and we dont encourage that in my church. in fact the chruch of God denomation allows women pastors. i disagree with that but no church will ever be perfect nor will i agree with all of the non salvinical tenets.

Hello All :)

I am a muslim (as you can see from my username lol), and I come in peace!

Anyhow, I know many Christians find the concept of Islamic Hijab strange. But in Corinthians (which is from the new testament, i believe), it does allude to head coverings, or at least it seems that way. This is the verse I am talking about:

“Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head (4).But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven (5). For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered (6). For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man (7). For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man (8). Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man (9). For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels (10). Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord (11). For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God (12). Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? (13)

Anyhow I am not here to debate this or anything. I just want to get the perspective from Christians as to what they feel this verse means.

Hope to hear from all you guys soon :)

Not all Christians agree on the meaning of those verses. Some believe that women should wear head coverings while others say it was a cultural practice and people today should follow the cultural practices of our time. The way I see it, it doesn't have anything to do with head coverings at all. If you look just one verse earlier than what you quoted, you will see this:

Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. (I Cor. 11:3 NIV)​

Throughout this section, the "heads" being refered to are not our literal heads and the "coverings" are not hats or scarfs. It's about authority. It's saying that women should not preach without being under their husband's authority and that men should not put any human authority between themselves and God.

I believe the word "head" here isn't refering to the part of the body. Often head is used to refer to someone in charge.
Ephesians 5:23 says. "For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior." Ephesians 5:24 says, "Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything." Collosians 3:18 says similarly.

I believe "having her head covered" means being in submission to her husband and having a submissive relationship with Christ.

Back