Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christianity is not a religion

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Let's not change definitions just because we feel uncomfortable with the connotations it may bring up in one's mind... A religion is: "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs." (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion)

Does Christianity answer questions such as "where did we come from" "where did the universe come from" "why are we here" "what happens when we die" etc..? Then it is a religion! BUT, the wonderful and mysterious thing about it is that it is the only religion that offers a personal relationship with the Creator of life!
I'm on Tapatalk and didn't scroll down to see your response before I responded. :) :thumbsup (no smileys)

the answer is yea and then nay! It is a religion to those that know not the Christ and to those of us that do it is a relationship. Personally, my religion is Baptist and it or any other religion will get any man or woman to hell equally as fast as the lack of one. As a practicing Christian I have taken Jesus, the Son of God for my Savior and there by were adopted into thye family of God.

Obviously you have not looked it up on urban dictionary lately :laugh
I did now. What a joke of a resource. Anyway, Christianity is a religion by every acceptable sociological definition. How's that? :)

I see it first and foremost as a relationship, not a religion. To me, the word religion, or religious, as theLords said, makes me think of the legalistic Phrarisees. There's no way I want to be chucked in the same basket with them! As Carolline said, technically Christianity is a religion by many worldy standards, but it is so much more.

God comes to us. At the core of the issue - it's not really religion.

Obviously you have not looked it up on urban dictionary lately :laugh
LOL urban dictionary. :biggrin

As far as I see the case is settled. Its a religion. Anything else attributed to it (like a relationship with god) is fine, but that doesn't mean its not a religion by todays standards. :yes

James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

If we say christianity is a religion...then religion is christianity:shocked - therefore christianity isn't a religion.

I look at it this way:

Christianity is the name of my faith that enables me to practice my religion which is best described in James 1:26-27 "If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless. Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world."
So, according to those who insist that Christianity is not a religion, James was wrong?

If we say christianity is a religion...then religion is christianity:shocked - therefore christianity isn't a religion.
It doesn't follow that if Christianity is a religion then religion is Christianity.

Look at it mathematically: A is a subset of AB, but A is not B and B is not A.

It doesn't follow that if Christianity is a religion then religion is Christianity.

Look at it mathematically: A is a subset of AB, but A is not B and B is not A.

Interesting!
At least it has no commonality with this religious world.

Back