Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
When my first off-spring was born, a new tradition was introduced into my household.

We celebrated Christmas dinner as a birthday party. We sang Happy Birthday to Jesus, and either put candles on one of the desserts or had a special candle lit.

As my children grew up, they knew full well that Jesus is definitely the reason for this season we shall soon celebrate.

Now, in their own households, their children are growing up to celebrate Christmas as a birthday party for Jesus.
Hi AirDancer
We did the same thing with my kids.
Not too many families do. We still do to this day.
It's fun!
It also makes Jesus be more real. Kids understand He was a real
child and also celebrated birhdays, including His own.

We could get so caught up in legalism and reasons for NOT celebrating the season of Christmas and
Christmas Day. Children remember ceremony, they remember happy times, they remember tradition.
We shouldn't deny them of this. Already God is being taken out of everything in our secular society.
Let's keep Jesus in Christmas and celebrate this happy event!!

Wondering

Being born in the flesh isn't a reason to celebrate. Maybe we should celebrate the day of our rebirth or, being born again, as it were.

Born spiritually, a new man. Regaining our original identity.

Now there's a reason to celebrate! :sohappy

These feast were not part of the Christmas celebration.
It is interesting that even countries that are atheistic KEEP Christmas. I do not argue about those who keep the traditions.
I stick to what the Prophet Jeremiah says.

Jer. 10.2Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
Christmas and the traditions associated with it orignated in paganism.
The Ancient Roots of Christmas Customs | Ancient Origin.

I stopped celebrating this festival when I saw that it has no relation to Jesus, and I was just 14 years at the time. I have not regretted.

The feasts mentioned in Exodus are the feast of the Lord.
Hi Abide,
You know that we always agree on everything, but we're going to have to disagree here for the reason I stated in my reply in post. 21.

I just want to say that when it suits us we always refer back to the O.T.
Why aren't we doing EVERYTHING as it was done in the O.T.??
Because it has been replaced.

Christmas was used by Christians to replace a pagan holiday.
To me this seems like a good thing.
Replacing atheist, secular holidays with Christian holidays seems like a practice headed
in the right direction - not the other way around.

Let's keep Christmas and let's keep Christ in Christmas.

Wondering

Hi Abide,
You know that we always agree on everything, but we're going to have to disagree here for the reason I stated in my reply in post. 21.

I just want to say that when it suits us we always refer back to the O.T.
Why aren't we doing EVERYTHING as it was done in the O.T.??
Because it has been replaced.

Christmas was used by Christians to replace a pagan holiday.:shock
To me this seems like a good thing.
Replacing atheist, secular holidays with Christian holidays seems like a practice headed
in the right direction - not the other way around.

Let's keep Christmas and let's keep Christ in Christmas. How can Christ be placed in something that he was not originally in. The arguments for keeping Christmas are numerous...but the truth is that TRUTH cannot be replaced.

Wondering

We don't really know when Jesus was born.
Probably in September.
But a date had to be chosen.
A date was chosen so Christians could celebrate THEIR OWN holiday and not take part in a pagan one.
The pagan holiday has disappeared!
So it worked.
Now when Christmas comes around on December 25th, we remember JESUS and not the pagan holiday.

This is a good thing.

Wondering

Christmas is a great time of year.
We celebrate the birth of our Savior.
I believe we should forget about the pagan part of this holiday and focus instead on the joy we get from worshiping the one who created us and gives us eternal life.
It's a big "Thank You Jesus Day".
Amen.

Do you really need to be told?
Do you celebrate His resurrection? (Because, if He wasn't raised then your faith is in vain any you are still in your sins.)(1Co 15:17)
A little less religion and a little more common sense might be in order.

hello Jim Parker, dirtfarmer here

When Jesus was born, we know from scripture that shepherds were abiding their flocks at night. This was in the early autumn. In the month that we call December it is very cold in Israel. This is not "religion" but fact.

As to whether I have common sense could be debated. While I agree that scripture teaches that if Christ was not raised then our faith is in vain. That Christ was born to a virgin was truly amazing, but his resurrection is what our eternal life rest in.

Do I celebrate his resurrection? Everyday, not just on "easter" as some call it, but it is Jewish Passover. Because he lives, I also am alive in Him eternally

We don't really know when Jesus was born.
Probably in September.
But a date had to be chosen.
A date was chosen so Christians could celebrate THEIR OWN holiday and not take part in a pagan one.
The pagan holiday has disappeared!
So it worked.
Now when Christmas comes around on December 25th, we remember JESUS and not the pagan holiday.

This is a good thing.

Wondering

hello wondering, dirtfarmer here

I agree that Jesus was probably born in September or October.

I know the celebration of "Christmas" is a point of contention among believers, but pagans had a feast that was from our December 17 that culminated with the death of a person that was chose to die on the 25th to appease a pagan god. It was the church of Rome that changed it to the 25th in order to get more pagans to worship God. This is what history tells us.

While I agree that Jesus should celebrated, but that should be every day.

I know the celebration of "Christmas" is a point of contention among believers, but pagans had a feast that was from our December 17 that culminated with the death of a person that was chose to die on the 25th to appease a pagan god. It was the church of Rome that changed it to the 25th in order to get more pagans to worship God. This is what history tells us.

Well now that you've taken the joy out of Christmas, what shall we do next?
Celebrate Hanukkah?

I agree with everything you've said.

But you mentioned Passover. You see how every religion has it's "special" days. I believe our Christian religion should have its special days too. Christmas and Easter would be those days.

The Christmas season is a beautiful time of year, especially for children.
I like the fact that it's associated with God. Even the music we hear glorifies God.
Children in church choirs sing about out Lord. Adults proclaim the word of God in song.
There are lights all over. Jesus is the light of the world.
The Christmas tree is an evergreen. An evergreen is green all year round and never dies.
It's life is always showing and visible.
The Christmas wreath is round. It has no beginning, it has no end.

The above are just some of the things I used to tell my religion kids.
If there were no Christmas, they never would have heard them.

Wondering

Last edited:
I agree with everything you've said.

But you mentioned Passover. You see how every religion has it's "special" days. I believe our Christian religion should have its special days too. Christmas and Easter would be those days.

The Christmas season is a beautiful time of year, especially for children.
I like the fact that it's associated with God. Even the music we hear glorifies God.
Children in church choirs sing about out Lord. Adults proclaim the word of God in song.
There are lights all over. Jesus is the light of the world.
The Christmas tree is an evergreen. An evergreen is green all year round and never dies.
It's life is always showing and visible.
The Christmas wreath is round. It has no beginning, it has no end.

The above is just some of the things I used to tell my religion kids.
If there were no Christmas, they never would have heard them.

Wondering

What did you tell them about the man in the red suit with white trimmings? That he knew if they we naughty or nice and that he knew everyone of them by name? That he was omnipresent, that he could visit every home in a 12 hour period and leave presents for every child? It is OK to tell a "little white lie"? Then when they get older they learn that he was only "make believe". When we tell them about Jesus, how do they know that he is not "make believe"?

What did you tell them about the man in the red suit with white trimmings? That he knew if they we naughty or nice and that he knew everyone of them by name? That he was omnipresent, that he could visit every home in a 12 hour period and leave presents for every child? It is OK to tell a "little white lie"? Then when they get older they learn that he was only "make believe". When we tell them about Jesus, how do they know that he is not "make believe"?
I know of what you speak.
I agree.
A lot is left up to the parents.
We didn't discuss Santa in my home. Only when the kids were very little, they had leaned to leave him a glass of milk and cookies.
There is the danger, as you say, of the day when one stops believing in Santa, he will also stop believing in Jesus.
Saint Nicolas, if I remember correctly, is a Scandinavian idea, and fairly new.

Jesus came first. Unfortunately, our secular society has placed more importance in Santa Claus, Saint Nicolas who distributed gifts to poor children, Father Christmas, etc.

So what do we do? Just give up?
:thud

Wondering

P.S. In some countries both Christmas and the Epiphany is celebrated. Gifts are given at Epiphany.
This might be an idea...

Ezra, please state what you want to communicate rather than just posting a verse that 10 different people might interpret 15 different ways. (Some are Irish and have more than one firm opinion.)
-----------------------> i celebrate every dAY that is my post i had no idea there was a failure to communicate

i have no issue with Santa Claus Rudolph the red nose reindeer or any other Christmas figure. you simply teach kids about the birth of Christ. if Santa makes kids happy so be it . we took 3 girls last night to look at Christmas lights one of the little girls yelled out i love you Santa .

Ecc 7:1 A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one's birth.

hello Jim Parker, dirtfarmer here

When Jesus was born, we know from scripture that shepherds were abiding their flocks at night. This was in the early autumn. In the month that we call December it is very cold in Israel. This is not "religion" but fact.

As to whether I have common sense could be debated. While I agree that scripture teaches that if Christ was not raised then our faith is in vain. That Christ was born to a virgin was truly amazing, but his resurrection is what our eternal life rest in.

Do I celebrate his resurrection? Everyday, not just on "easter" as some call it, but it is Jewish Passover. Because he lives, I also am alive in Him eternally
Luk 2:8-14 The birth of Christ was celebrated in Scripture.
Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. And behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid. Then the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. “For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger.”
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying: “Glory to God in the highest,
And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!"

Since we do not know the date of Jesus' birth, any date will do. The point is to set aside a time when we celebrate a specific event; the coming of Christ.
ANd we do know that the resurrection was on the Sunday after the Passover so we set aside a day to celebrate God's grace and power displayed in the resurrection of Christ by which the bonds of death were broken.

If you're too religious to celebrate the two most important events in the history of the universe then it is your loss. Enjoy being holier than those who do celebrate Christmas and Easter.

Back