Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christ's Atonement. His Love For Us. How Great He Is.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I have talked about this in a previous thread, but I found it more fitting to start one just about this subject. The subject of this thread is Christ's Atonement. Our recognition of him. How we think his atonement and sacrifice influences and helps us to return to heaven again.

Christ really did do so much for us.
We learn mostly about his suffering on the cross. Which of coarse was terrible and cruel. He loved us so much that he gave his life so we can return to heaven again. He went through so much physical agony.

I think that even more important than his suffering on the cross, is his suffering in the Garden of Gestename.
There is no greater expression of love than the heroic Atonement performed by the Son of God. Were it not for the plan of our Heavenly Father, established before the world began, in a very real sense, all mankindâ€â€past, present, and futureâ€â€would have been left without the hope of eternal progression. As a result of Adam’s transgression, mortals were separated from God (see Rom. 6:23) and would be forever unless a way was found to break the bands of death. This would not be easy, for it required the vicarious sacrifice of one who was sinless and who could therefore take upon Himself the sins of all mankind.

The Bible does not say much by this. But I think Christ probably suffered even more intense pain in that garden then he did on the cross. He bled from every pore. - I guess we recognize that when he suffered in the garden. He was taking upon himself every human heartache, every pain, every sin, every mistake that EVERY man has made from the time of Adam up until the end. If Christ truley went through and overcome every sin, temptation, and pain thrown at mankind. - Then he understands each and every one of us. He can help us overcome Satan and lead us to choose the right path!

-That atonement holds quite a huge significance in our salvation. No unclean thing can dwell in the presence of god. So this is the way to return to heaven again!
However, I don't think the atonement will just automatically save us. We need to love and accept god, follow Christs teachings, love our neighbors, and acknowledge to god our mistakes and sins by repenting and forsaking those sins. Then Christ's atonement will come into effect.

I believe that through Christ Atonement and Pouring our souls out in prayer to God (our father in heaven) we are more powerful than Satan. We could never expect to do it alone of course. But if we are faithful, hold to what Christ taught us, follow the laws he set forth. Even more so than the 10 commandments. We could develop a love for good and learn to choose not to sin. (of course we will always make mistakes on the way) We can earn our way to heaven through the primarily through grace of Christs atonement, and secondarily through our works to god signifying that we are doing our best.

Anyways, what does everyone think?
I'd appreciate some more positive comments and insights on this

Thanks Much
John

^

Whoa ... are you a preacher ? .... :readbible

You have explained very well everything one needs for salvation. What more to add ? . :thumbsup

Christianity is the coolest and easiest religion in the world !
All that one needs to do is seek repentance, forgiveness and atonement of sin and accept Christ as our Lord and Savior, and then we do good works to testify to our faith and bear fruit.

:amen

Tina said:
^

Whoa ... are you a preacher ? .... :readbible

You have explained very well everything one needs for salvation. What more to add ? . :thumbsup

Christianity is the coolest and easiest religion in the world !
All that one needs to do is seek repentance, forgiveness and atonement of sin and accept Christ as our Lord and Savior, and then we do good works to testify to our faith and bear fruit.

:amen

Hey I appreciate that Tina,

Glad to be brothers and sisters in the gospel.

I am currently an 18 year old Mormon preparing to go on a mission for my church. I'm no preacher, heavens no!! :lol but I do have a knowledge of Christ and our role in life. I thought that this christian community may be a good place to learn how to talk to people and share thoughts and knowledge. I am not really good at speaking face to face to people yet, so this is good practice i guess ha ha.

Anyways thanks for the kind comment and god bless you :)

^
Oh you're a Mormon ? ... That's cool !!

I mean, not cool in the sense that you are Mormon, but cool in the sense that I have met you ...
... I had wanted to get to know someone from the Mormon community.

Do you believe in ALL of the Bible ? .... Do you have a website where I can read your Book of Mormon ?

Yea of course we believe in all of the Bible. I know that the Bible is the word of god, as long as it is translated correctly. Ha ha! it has went through many hands as it is. like 5 different versions with all the scribes and centuries. So sadly we have lost alot of the truths, but yes I know the bible from gods mouth.

The Book Of Mormon we believe is a second gospel testifying of Jesus Christ. It goes hand in hand with the bible. The two seem to compliment each other in doctrine. The Book of mormon expands more upon many questions that are not answered. When I read it alongside with the Bible, the entire gospel of Jesus Christ made sense before my eyes. There was no confusion. I just knew it was true and felt a peace inside that god wanted me to serve him and his children.

Many people really judge us just because we have different beliefs. (like no drinking, no sex before marriage, tithing, etc) they kind of don't understand us. It kind of makes me sad when people insult you just because of your faith. But I can assure you we are Christian lol. Our entire gospel is centered around Christ. I am have buddies not of my faith and we are really close and we often discuss why we are here, and where we came from. They are really positive and great friends.

Anyways, sorry for my rambling :lol I tend to do that sometimes..

You can send a referal to the missionaries here if you want to know more of us haha. :lol

I think this is a place online you can download or read the book of mormon. (but not as good as an actual copy) - There are many truths that you'll find pretty cool.

Yea, again thanks for your kind comment.

Edit: Just fixed Link. It was being weird.. sorry

I'm probably going a bit off topic here, but what exactly does a mormon believe we have to do to be saved? what differs the two religions? I don't want start anything big on this, but was just curious.

I think I could have found it - you bleieve on grace and works?

That is a great explanation. The sacrifice Christ made for us is amazing. I know it must be a struggle for you knowing that Christ's atonement for our sins does not apply to Mormons. But I think with enough prayer, God can find another way for you.

Nick_29 said:
I'm probably going a bit off topic here, but what exactly does a mormon believe we have to do to be saved? what differs the two religions? I don't want start anything big on this, but was just curious.

I think I could have found it - you believe on grace and works?

Ya,
I appreciate the question and would be happy to explain. We definatley believe in grace. We are saved through christs atonement under conditions of repentence, humility, following his commandments, and love for others. After repenting and forsaking our sins, we are saved by grace. (it is a bit different because it requires a literal changing of ones life, values, habits, etc to meet up to gods standards.)

From this Good works come out of love for others and following christs example. We believe that when you are in the service of your fellow men, you are in the service of your god. LDS missionaries do go out to teach our gospel. But one their primary responsibility is to serve the community and people they are called to.

Overall,
I guess grace comes through sincere repentance, following the comandments, and enduring to the end. The grace of god is given through the atonement of christ.
We show god our gratitude for giving us that grace through our work.

Does that kind of answer your question? I really want all christians to understand how much Christ is important to me and other mormons.

Here is a list of things that we believe in. (We call them the articles of faith, and learn them from a small age.) - some of it may seem a bit odd to you, and I understand because most of you don't ever go look into mormon doctrine for fun everyday :lol , but these key things are what drives us forward. It makes sense with studying the bible and book of mormon together.)

1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.
3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.
7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.
8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.
11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.
13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paulâ€â€We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

joechrist said:
That is a great explanation. The sacrifice Christ made for us is amazing. I know it must be a struggle for you knowing that Christ's atonement for our sins does not apply to Mormons. But I think with enough prayer, God can find another way for you.

I appreciate the compliment. I agree you must born again to recieve Christs atonement. But we believe it is not limited to just a select individuals. Every human being who has, is, and will live on the earth, will have a chance to be born again.

We all believe what Jesus said:
“Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.†- John 3:2–3.

Nicodemus was bewildered and asked: “How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?â€Â

Jesus explained that He was talking about being born spiritually. He said:

“Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

“That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.†-John 3:4–6.

All of us need to be born spiritually, from 8 to 80â€â€or even 90. One lady who was babtized into the mormon faith said, “There I wasâ€â€ninety-four years old and born again!†Our first birth takes place when we are born into mortality. Our second birth begins when we are baptized by water by one holding the priesthood of God and is completed when we are confirmed, and “then cometh a remission of [our] sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost.â€Â
- The Mormons believe this priesthood power is restored back to the earth through our prophets. We believe that the church of jesus christ of later day saints is restored to the earth. The line of authority and priesthood is back in place. It sounds different, but worth a look into. - This sort of describes the orgination of our church set forth by god. I hope it is good enough, i havn't looked much into the subject. church leaders and structure

johnnylingoman said:
joechrist said:

I appreciate the compliment. I agree you must born again to recieve Christs atonement. But we believe it is not limited to just a select individuals. Every human being who has, is, and will live on the earth, will have a chance to be born again.

We all believe what Jesus said:
“Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.†- John 3:2–3.

Nicodemus was bewildered and asked: “How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?â€Â

Jesus explained that He was talking about being born spiritually. He said:

“Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

“That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.†-John 3:4–6.

All of us need to be born spiritually, from 8 to 80â€â€or even 90. One lady who was babtized into the mormon faith said, “There I wasâ€â€ninety-four years old and born again!†Our first birth takes place when we are born into mortality. Our second birth begins when we are baptized by water by one holding the priesthood of God and is completed when we are confirmed, and “then cometh a remission of [our] sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost.â€Â
- The Mormons believe this priesthood power is restored back to the earth through our prophets. We believe that the church of jesus christ of later day saints is restored to the earth. The line of authority and priesthood is back in place. It sounds different, but worth a look into. - This sort of describes the orgination of our church set forth by god. I hope it is good enough, i havn't looked much into the subject. church leaders and structure

Even being a Morman, there may be a way around all the requirements for heaven, I'm just not sure what they are. Just don't give up, because I think God wants you in heaven also, just have to find out the path.

Thanks Joe.
Even if we share different beliefs and have different views on the gospel, I appreciate your sincerity and kindness on the matter.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back