Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Chronicles of the Devil

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The thing is Biblereader, I encourage you not to make the mistake of thinking that anyone who likes works by Tolkien, Lewis or even 'heaven forbid' Rowlings, must be spiritually immature people who have not studied these things or are being spoon fed by others. Again, I don't doubt your sincerity in condemning Lewis, Tolkein et al (and it does seem very condemning to say, as you have, that they were not born-again Christians), but I do doubt both your sources and your conclusions. I don't have a problem with you sharing the information, though. We should all be open to viewing all sides to an issue. But, I'm not ready to condemn Lewis and Tolkein as unsaved heretics based upon anything you've presented here.

Perhaps, you might be more open to looking at all of their testimonies and works. I know that Lewis' "A Grief Observed" written after the death of his wife, contains his personal struggle with grief and anger towards God, so much so that many have questioned whether or not he lost faith. Although I haven't read the book, I understand that ultimately he affirms his faith, rather than loses it.
Not long before he died, in an interview with Karen Lindskoog, Lewis said, "The world might stop in ten minutes; meanwhile, we are to go on doing our duty. The great thing is to be found at one's post a child of God, living each day as if it were out last, but planning as though our world might last a hundred years." (http://www.unomaha.edu/jrf/shadowlands.htm#15)

This does not sound at all like someone who has lost faith but rather as someone who is living as Christ exhorted us to live in His parable about the Virgins.

Many of find that fantasy and science fiction provide a method for parable that enables us to reach out with the gospel. If you have a huge problem with fantasy or sci-fi, then understandably you wouldn't agree with this. But, it's best not to be too judgemental towards how others might or might not view these things. I'm glad enough that you're sharing what you've found, but don't assume that I simply 'don't know any better' if I wind up not agreeing with you.

vic C. said:
Hi Misfit. You said:
I just really don't get why so many Christians are more interested in "fighting the good fight" going out and telling everyone believed or not how to live, what to watch, what to listen to, what to eat, how to dress etc etc etc.... Instead of going out and taking care of the poor and spreading the love of the true gospel of Christ, just like Jesus told us to.
It's this way; some choose the path of least resistance. It's much easier to condemn that it is to help convert. Witnessing is a thankless task sometimes. We don't always see immediately the fruits of our witness ans testimony, but we often do get some sort of immediate gratification out of condemning. It's Man's pride, more often than not.

I suggest we all read 1 Cor 13. 8-)

True it can be a very thankless task, but it's what we are all called to do. I live in Utah the mecca of mormonism you want a rough day of witnessing come out here and try it some time I tell ya it's rough out here :o . My point is I don't know how it is anywhere else, but out here most people are LDS and they think they are saved and that they know Jesus, so to start off with the hell fire and brimstone approach will make you plenty of enemies and not one friend, starting out with love and common ground however will slowly get you somewhere.

Biblereader said:
No one enjoys receiving a tongue lashing. Especially when those being lashed consider themselves respectable, law-abiding, upright citizens. I'm NOT condeming anyone, I am simply standing up to the false religion of such books as Harry Potter, Narnia, Lord of the Rings, and yes, even C.S. Lewis. Jesus said we are supposed to grow up, be spiritually mature.
We are supposed to stop drinking milk, and EAT MEAT.
Study to shew thyself approved !!
Growing up causes pains, sometimes. It hurts to grow up. It feels bad to find out Santa Claus was a lie, and the tooth fairy doesn't exist.
It's harder to feed yourself, than to let someone spoon feed you, but, would you rather remain spiritually immature? What will you tell Jesus, when He asks you why you chose to remain
childish in spiritual matters?
Learn how to pick up the Sword of the Spirit, and FIGHT back!
Fight the good fight of faith.

But is it not necessary for us to drink milk? And even when we do eat meat, do we start our children with meat, or feed them milk?

I am not recommending these books to you, but to those who do not have the same understanding of theology! Your condemnations of Lewis (or, at least, sponsorships of articles condemning him) will do nothing but deprive us of a great method of teaching, if we take you at your word. No one can reasonably claim that Tolkein's or Lewis' literary worlds are real; they do not promote sorcery, paganism, or any such form of heresy (unless one considers Anglecanism or Catholocism heresies :roll: ), and people who claim that they do just make themselves look foolish.

People who come across silky smooth, and passively aggressively try to mock someone who is sincere in their witnessing(you towards me) looks cowardly.

And, I'm not getting into a spitting contest with you, so, that's that.

I for one, have not any difficulty in seeing the occultism in the aforementioned works.

WHAT ELSE DO YOU GUYS READ, besides fantasy??

Biblereader said:
People who come across silky smooth, and passively aggressively try to mock someone who is sincere in their witnessing(you towards me) looks cowardly.

I for one, have not any difficulty in seeing the occultism in the aforementioned works.

Sci-Fi. :-D

Murder mystries, regency romances, (not the rated r kind).

Yes, I read my Bible quite extensively, and also read the works of great Christian authors, such as Spurgeon, Boice, Sproul, and even C. S. Lewis.

Not too much Tolkein though. I find his writings ponderous.

I'm also big into non-fiction and books of various faiths. I've read the tao de ching, book of Mormon, Koran, the book of the law, many others and of course my all time favorite the Holy Bible the only one that is the true word of GOD!

Biblereader said:

I don't like being spit at any more than you do, but, if I may remind you, "YOU STARTED IT!" :-D :wink:

No offense meant, of course.

Just because a book references occultism does not mean that it encourages such an action. If we use the criterion that a reference to the occult is an endosement of it, then the Bible would be banned as well! I have no difficulty seeing the occult in the Bible. Should we discourage people from reading that as well?

Lewis and Tolkein place these references in the context of an entirely imagined universe. They used concepts that they thought would be familiar to their readers and be at once entertaining and educational. Surely, I would rather see a child reading Narnia than many of the other works of fiction out there.

But as for your question, the other books I read: Last year I read a little scifi, but I haven't read much fiction lately (except in the morning paper :wink: :-D )

Laudate Dominum said:
Biblereader said:

I don't like being spit at any more than you do, but, if I may remind you, "YOU STARTED IT!" :-D :wink:

Just because a book references occultism does not mean that it encourages such an action. If we use the criterion that a reference to the occult is an endosement of it, then the Bible would be banned as well! I have no difficulty seeing the occult in the Bible. Should we discourage people from reading that as well?

Lewis and Tolkein place these references in the context of an entirely imagined universe. They used concepts that they thought would be familiar to their readers and be at once entertaining and educational. Surely, I would rather see a child reading Narnia than many of the other works of fiction out there.

But as for your question, the other books I read: Last year I read a little scifi, but I haven't read much fiction lately (except in the morning paper :wink: :-D )

Amen Laudate Dominum AMEN!

MISFIT said:
Laudate Dominum said:
Biblereader said:

Amen Laudate Dominum AMEN!

To what, exactly? :-? :oops:

This

Biblereader, I only watched the first minute or so of the video, but I decided that it would be a good springboard for a discussion of witchcraft, what it is and what is isn't. So, I'm going to move this into it's own thread.

As of now, I think I'll keep it in General Talk, as this subject has dominated several of the thread right here.

Back