Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Church Membership Requirements?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Everyone claims to preach the truth and the Gospel, most are close, but there are subtle differences. I have yet to find any church that preaches the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth,

You wont find such a church .. Churches are made up of people.. not one of us is perfect,,, it is not just to expect a group of people to be perfect... we just arnt...
A million years ago mom said Chew the meat and spit out the bones .,.,. We set such high standards to fill our needs ... sometimes we need to be filling 'their' needs

What is the difference between a concert show where people pay for whatever is on the stage and a church where people pay for whatever is on the stage?.

Do you think just because one says the name god or jesus they suddenly should not have to pay taxes on income but the other should.

As I said, I am not looking to get into a discussion of that, so I won't be responding to it beyond this reply.

I believe there is no fellowship at a church because all people do is sit there staring at a stage show for an hour then go home. I bet hardly anyone at a Church knows the name of the person sitting next to them.

And if there is fellowship, they might have a cup of tea and scone together for 5 mins after church.
One thing I've come to grasp more fully than I did for a long time is Church happens outside of worship. That's where a local church community defines itself and tests its metal. Does it matter so much how they sit those 60-75 minutes? You would probably be critical of our church for that reason, but I've lived 49 years and never witnessed a church be the Church like this all 168 hours a week.

And our church does not require a tithe, nor would I join a church that did. I'll respect the intentions of the OP and keep it at that.

Because everything is based off the bible, maybe thats the only source people can go to for truth. There is the rock and the solid foundation, Jesus Christ and his Apostles teachings, everything else is just a mixture as all churches claim to be church yet all have different rules and teachings.

WHY MEMBERSHIP?
Where I assemble when I can, there is no local membership role, but we are members one of the other in Jesus.

Rom 12:5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

1 Cor 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

We’ve never had a bake sale, building fund, or other means to raise money, and yet everything is always paid for.

Where I assemble when I can, there is no local membership role, but we are members one of the other in Jesus.

Rom 12:5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

1 Cor 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

We’ve never had a bake sale, building fund, or other means to raise money, and yet everything is always paid for.

One body of Christ, I could not find anywhere in scripture where it says I also need to sign a membership to the world. Please fill in and sign this form.

Boidae21, how sure are you that a certain giving level is required or expected? I am not saying I suspect you are not being honest, I am just wondering if there is any chance you may be misunderstanding their position?

I believe only full Gospel truth preached is worthy of there wage. Good luck finding it in this day and age.

I have been looking for a new church to attend because of my work schedule and since the church I attend now with their service being a little later in the morning on Sunday it conflicts with my work schedule. So church shopping I go.

The one church that I was looking at seemed good until it mentioned church membership requirements. On the same page it mentions funding the ministries of the church. I know that churches need money in order to continue to provide what they provide, however I am not a believer in a "requirement" to "tithe" or offer money. I believe in a basket at the back and people give as they feel led.

Should there be a requirement to fund church ministries or should it be based on a give as you feel led system?

I am going to skip this church (for the above reason) and hope I can find one that has an earlier service time that I think I would feel comfortable at such as this one so that it doesn't conflict with my work schedule.

**I do not currently tithe as I do not have the money to tithe. I give an offering when I can.

**I do not want this to turn into a you must tithe thread and the myriad of reasons why. That is not the intention of this thread. I am asking if there should be a requirement to tithe/give offerings in order to be a member. Nothing more.
Dear Boidae21,

God expose's what needs to be corrected (sin) 1 John 1:5-10 NIV. He only reveals it so it can be fixed.

Heavenly Father I ask in the name of Jesus, that you give Brother Boidae21 detail instructions how to solve every problem in his life. Encamp your mighty Angels over his roof of his home, flapping their wings with the benefits that comes from the Cross of Christ. In Jesus name I pray - Amen.

I do not think that they allow you to necessarily go and not become a member.

Here is the "Become a Member" explanation from their page.

"WHY MEMBERSHIP?

Because membership matters! At Heartland we believe that church membership is synonymous with involvement. Whether you're new to the faith or have followed Christ for years, gathering with other believers and serving in ministry are critical parts of a vibrant, healthy relationship with Christ. Being a part of our church family means partnering with us in creating, leading and funding the ministries of the church.

The perfect place to start this process is at one of our monthly Connection Point membership events. At this event you'll hear all about the history and mission of Heartland Church, the requirements for becoming a member, how to connect with a small group, as well as how you can find your perfect fit on one of our many ministry teams. Connection Point happens one Sunday of each month in the Connection Room. We will serve you a great lunch and even provide care for your children!"
Are you sure this means you have to become a member to attend and that you have to tithe 10% of your financial income if you are a member? Personally I'm not reading that here. I'm not sure by saying "church membership is synonymous with involvement" this means you can't regularly attend worship services and probably all of their other activities on a regular basis without being an official member. I can understand membership may be required for some positions, such as if you were to become a pastor, elder, or deacon, etc. But if you are just looking for fellowship and worship I don't really see a requirement to be a member or if you don't they would like you to not to return.

As for the tithing part, I don't even see that word or any equivalent of it mentioned. Where it says "Being a part of our church family means partnering with us in creating, leading and funding the ministries of the church", well, regarding funding the ministry this is simply a logical part of any church. No organization, including even the 12 disciples of Jesus, functions without funding. If the members are not willing to at least help with this funding as they are able, who else will do it? I don't see any mention here of any kind of tithe being required for membership. In fact, I don't even see any requirement here for each member to participate in all three of these areas (creating, leading, and funding). Maybe you don't have the money to give in the offering, but you are a gifted leader who can participate by leading a certain ministry. That time and effort you put in is part of our tithe as well. Or maybe you are a visionary who can envision and create a ministry. That's part of your tithe too. But I just don't see this as saying that every member has to do every one of these things, and I'll bet this church is like most other churches where 90% or more of the people do nothing or, at best, put a couple of dollars in the plate on Sundays, far less than any kind of 10% tithe.

And then, of course, there is the question of whether or not a tithe is even Biblicaly required in the church body. But that's another topic that could (and has) go on for 500 posts and not get settled.

People would rather speak a thousand words and add a couple of biblical quotes than just say if your looking for truth just pick up the bible and read it.

Quote from the bible offering help and prayer but never say read for yourself.

All people do is use the bible themselves yet never lead people to it.

Because everything is based from there and people dont want to get caught out.

Last edited:
People would rather speak a thousand words and add a couple of biblical quotes than just say if your looking for truth just pick up the bible and read it.

Quote from the bible offering help and prayer but never say read for yourself.

All people do is use the bible themselves yet never lead people to it.

Because everything is based from there and people dont want to get caught out.
I really don't think all your ranting against the church in this thread such as the one above, several others, and many that you've deleted as well is helping the OP find the answers he's asking us for help with.

I really don't think all your ranting against the church in this thread such as the one above, several others, and many that you've deleted as well is helping the OP find the answers he's asking us for help with.

Well with a million different churches, doctrines, and claimed different truths to choose from, I dont think there is an answer to be honest.

Last edited:
Well with a million different churches, doctrines, and claimed different truths to choose from, I dont think there is an answer to be honest.
Sure there is: a born-again believer endeavors to show the grace they have received from their Lord - in its many manifestations - to other members of the body of Christ. God ordained this is done in a Biblically structured local assembly. There is no better place to have the opportunity to minister unmerited goodness to others than as a person submitted to the leadership of a local assembly and serving along side of others people just like themselves. Kiwiden, you are right in that no leadership and members of a church deserve your support, but then again, isn't that the point of grace? God does not owe you support - you and I deserve only his disdain and wrath - and yet he shows grace. Go and do likewise.

When the established Church's that were founded on Christ by that of His Apostles they were the true Church of Christ. Did they have their problems, yes, and Jesus gave them instructions as we read in Revelations. The foundation was Christ, but soon man stepped in with their doctrines, interpretations of the word and even now have become socially acceptable by mans standards, rules and regulations. Jesus has sent warning to the Church as they are to be the body of Christ and not some building made by hands. Church needs to be a place of teaching, edifying and Godly counseling. These type of Churches are far and in between and hard to find and for me I refuse to attend a Church with all it's legalism that gives place to Satan unaware and would not even recognize Jesus if He was allowed to walk through the door. I do not need to be socially acceptable, but only accountable to God and taught by His Holy Spirit.

Forums like this one has become my Church as we learn through the Holy Spirit working through others to teach us. Many say forums can not be Church, but what is Church, but that of the assembling of the body of Christ that we should never forsake. There are times when a home Bible study group can teach us more than what we get in most Churches as it is more relaxed and opened to ask questions and share scriptures as like any Church the assembling needs to be Christ centered. Just ask the Holy Spirit to guide you where your assembling needs to be and it will be opened unto you. God bless.

When the established Church's that were founded on Christ by that of His Apostles they were the true Church of Christ. Did they have their problems, yes, and Jesus gave them instructions as we read in Revelations. The foundation was Christ, but soon man stepped in with their doctrines, interpretations of the word and even now have become socially acceptable by mans standards, rules and regulations. Jesus has sent warning to the Church as they are to be the body of Christ and not some building made by hands. Church needs to be a place of teaching, edifying and Godly counseling. These type of Churches are far and in between and hard to find and for me I refuse to attend a Church with all it's legalism that gives place to Satan unaware and would not even recognize Jesus if He was allowed to walk through the door. I do not need to be socially acceptable, but only accountable to God and taught by His Holy Spirit.

Forums like this one has become my Church as we learn through the Holy Spirit working through others to teach us. Many say forums can not be Church, but what is Church, but that of the assembling of the body of Christ that we should never forsake. There are times when a home Bible study group can teach us more than what we get in most Churches as it is more relaxed and opened to ask questions and share scriptures as like any Church the assembling needs to be Christ centered. Just ask the Holy Spirit to guide you where your assembling needs to be and it will be opened unto you. God bless.
Nothing like virtual relationships! Much less messy than flesh-and-blood folks!

Of course, with virtual relationships it's got to be kind of difficult to follow the scriptures: 1 Corinthians 12, 1 Timothy 5:17, Hebrews 13:17, and all the one-to-another commands. In the last week alone, given only on-line relationships I think of what I would have missed in making heartfelt prayer for the family with their son in the hospital awaiting the cancer test results, having friends and family rejoice with me regarding my wife's test results showing everything benign, reminiscing with a young couple on how God has rescued their marriage, and praying my pastor will do well at helping our people see the glories of the Gospel.

In an hour or so, I will go join flesh-and-blood folks and in spite of me having a totally different background from the Chinese couple or the tatted guy with a neck as big as my thigh, we will join in unity and worship our common Lord and savior of our lives. Of course, I do have to bear with all those people with their messed up lives and disagreeable doctrines, but because I love them, I will. And because they love me, they will deal with my messed up life and my disagreeable doctrines.

It's messy, but it is what God calls us to do.

Nothing like virtual relationships! Much less messy than flesh-and-blood folks!

Of course, with virtual relationships it's got to be kind of difficult to follow the scriptures: 1 Corinthians 12, 1 Timothy 5:17, Hebrews 13:17, and all the one-to-another commands. In the last week alone, given only on-line relationships I think of what I would have missed in making heartfelt prayer for the family with their son in the hospital awaiting the cancer test results, having friends and family rejoice with me regarding my wife's test results showing everything benign, reminiscing with a young couple on how God has rescued their marriage, and praying my pastor will do well at helping our people see the glories of the Gospel.

In an hour or so, I will go join flesh-and-blood folks and in spite of me having a totally different background from the Chinese couple or the tatted guy with a neck as big as my thigh, we will join in unity and worship our common Lord and savior of our lives. Of course, I do have to bear with all those people with their messed up lives and disagreeable doctrines, but because I love them, I will. And because they love me, they will deal with my messed up life and my disagreeable doctrines.

It's messy, but it is what God calls us to do.

As I said, I, meaning me personally, refuse to attend a church that is governed by man in its rules and regulations that do not meet the statures God has laid out before us. For me, again me, I do not go to Church just because man says I have to by their standards and have even been told I would go to hell if I did not go. I pray to God that a Church would once again rise up in my area like the one I use to attend until it had to unfortunately close its doors. I miss being a part of the physical assembling, but do have a few friends I do fellowship with. I do not want to feel comfortable or go through temporary emotions that make me feel good for an hour or words that tickle my ears. I want to go to be fed the word of God by those who have the indwelling Holy Spirit using them to teach me and challenge me to dig deeper in scripture and that I get in this forum as there are many that have more knowledge then I as I learn from them and also share what I have learned. That to me is a true Church as we are the Church that makes up the body of Christ. I'm not saying this is for everyone as we need to let the Holy Spirit guide us to where we need to be fed and for now this is where the Holy Spirit has led me to.

Hmmm....well, some of us like this virtual fellowship because we don't have much of alternative. I'm "severely mentally ill" (in " " because although its true, it doesn't always...feel true...), and I've found that many otherwise solid churches just don't care for the "least of these" when it comes to the mentally ill. I'm not the only one who's dealt with this.

What I have found with many of the churches, that require an official membership, if the parents don't register then their kids are kept from being apart of the kids ministries as well. Such as the music ministry, team leaders, etc., and I think that it really doesn't have much to do with the Holy Spirit's leading. That is what I have found when researching online.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back