Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Cinco de Mayo!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Knotical

Shepherd of the Knotical kid-farm
What is this and why do we celebrate it?

First we should identify what it is not.

It is not the Mexican day of Independence (which is September 16th).

What it is:

This date corresponds with the Battle of Puebla on May 5th, 1862, the day the Mexicans defeated the occupying French. Basically, what was going on is, after having been under Spanish rule for over 3 centuries, which is basically the equivalent to having lived under the rule of the Obama administration for 300 years (yup, I went there ;)). Then the French come in and try to take over. The French. The same country that effectively became the international surrender punchline for the next 150 years, and counting. The Mexicans by winning this battle effectively said, "Ya know, we can mismanage our country just fine on our own." So they served up a nice big helping of "Get out of our country."

Now, you would think the Mexicans would be the ones to set up this date as their own special holiday because of the victory, but you would be wrong. In fact, it was started by Mexican-Americans living in the Western United States during the Civil War as a way to promote freedom and democracy. Then of course the Mexicans adopted it, but it truly isn't celebrated as much as in the United States, even though most people, now-a-days, have no idea why.

So, here is the discussion part of this. Do you celebrate it, and if so, why?

View attachment 3205

I really knew nothing about it, so I've never celebrated it. At youth fellowship at church yesterday, we did have a Mexican thing called a wet cake, though. It tasted good, but it was actually wet, so we all thought was a little gross.

I only celebrate the grocery store deals I get on Mexican food this time of year.

I don't celebrate it, but you can get double coke rewards point on 12 packs on Cinco de mayo!!!!

They didn't give me double points for Coke Zero! :grumpy It was only for Coke Classic. How do you say "discrimination" in Spanish?

which is basically the equivalent to having lived under the rule of the Obama administration for 300 years (yup, I went there ).

Viente Dieciséis de Noviembre just doesn't have the same ring to it, huh?

Oh nooooes!

I missed my favorite Quote Star Wars day: "May forth be with you." That was yesterday already? Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Back