Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Circumcision and Baptism

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Veritas

In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ, having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead. Colossians 2:11-12

This verse made me think of infant baptism since circumcision is done on a baby. Any further thoughts on what circumcision signifies and how that relates to baptism?

Baptism must be more encompassing. One obvious reason would be that girls can't be circumcized. More importantly, I also think the Holy Spirit is much more involved in baptism than circumicision.

I believe circumsion is the cutting out of the old nature, our sin nature by the work of the Holy Spirit in the new birth. In other words, all believers have the nature of God. Simply put we have Christ now instead of legalism. There is no difference between Jewish believers than Gentiles. When Jesus rose again, the curtain was taken down sort of speak.

May God bless, Golfjack

So, in that sense, girls are circumcized too. They, along with all believers, are circumcized by Christ.

How about in the Old Testament times? I understand it as God cutting out His people from the rest. But what of the Holy Spirit?

The Jews in the OT. received their forgiveness of sins once a year by the High Priest lifting the veil and going in the Holy of Holies for the people. Therefore, this is part of the Old Law. The Holy Spirit would temporarely come upon the kings, prophets, and priests. We have the nature of God residing in us by what the blood of the Lamb did for us.

May God bless, Golfjack

It is evident throughout the bible that we must be baptized. Baptism is part of the covenant, in which you are saying that you will be a follower, or the parents of a child are saying that they will raise this child to be a follower. So baptism is the initiation into the New Covenant. I often wonder how come infant baptism was accepted and practiced by every Christian until the 17th century? Many people are taught that infant baptism is wrong. Well if you study the covenant of Abraham and Moses, then you will see how children were included into that covenant. Even in the New Covenant Jesus says, “Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.†(Mark 10:14).
Under Abraham, infants were incorporated into the covenant through circumcision and a naming ceremony (if the children were girls). Paul tells us in Colossians 2:11-12 that baptism replaced circumcision as the means of entry into the covenant (family of God). Since circumcision was administered to infants, and since baptism takes it place, it is logical to assume that baptism is meant for infants also. There is also evidence in Acts, that children are being baptized. In Acts 16: 15 and Acts 16:33, entire families are being baptized. Peter tells us that the promise of salvation encompasses children too (Acts 2:39). Whether you believe in infant baptism or not, all Christians agree that when you are baptized, you become a follower of Christ.

Back