Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Growth Coerced marriage

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Daniel L Newhouse

Cayn
I am concerned about the issue of coerced marriage. Does anyone know any scripture that can be used as a test to indicate coerced marriage?

I assume you mean something else than an "arranged marriage", so please elaborate a bit more. What problem are you trying to find an answer to?

I am concerned about the issue of coerced marriage. Does anyone know any scripture that can be used as a test to indicate coerced marriage?
I cannot think of any scripture, but I can tell you that a coerced marriage is not a marriage.
A marriage consists of two persons who understand what they're doing and how it is a covenant between them and God.
God is present at a wedding - that's how the wedding ceremony becomes a marriage.
A marriage is NOT a contract, it is a covenant, or alliance made between two parites - the partners and God.
It is NOT a promise, it's an oath. God is present at an oath. You give your word to God.

If a marriage is coerced, it is null and void because it never really took place from the beginning.

Wondering

Last edited:
Hi Daniel and welcome. I do not know your circumstances but coerced is equivalent to being forced to marry; a still practised arrangement in many countries. In America we have something known as shotgun weddings; it's too bad the shotgun isn't used on both parties instead, they normally don't end up as loving marriages. The following article gives some ideas to its practice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_marriage
:wave2

I was about to post something similar to the above. "Coerced" marriage is not a marriage at all. That is axiomatic as far as I'm concerned. It is nothing less than kidnapping and rape, such as what may happen in parts of Asia. If anyone can escape they can flee knowing they were never married at all but only victims of an atrocity.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back