Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

College vs. Marriage

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Pard said:
Nick said:
Pard said:
I don't know. College is my route, but if I was to find someone I to live the rest of my life with, I'd grab it in a heart beat. College is actually over-rated, you can do very fine for yourself without college.
I'm going college at the moment, For what I want to do, I cannot do 'fine' without going to college/uni. I just depends on what you want to do.

If God brought a woman into my life while I was attending college, great, and I would take it up, like you said Pard. But I don't see that I would have to give up college becasue of that. Definately the two can coexist together.

No I agree, I was just pointing out that college is a bit overrated. Of course some fields require higher education, but there are plenty of great fields that do not. The one that comes to mind is my friend. He is graduating High School with me next week and then a week after that he moves three towns over to begin his career as a youth pastor!

But yes, marriage and college can work together just fine, the problem may arise when you try to have children in college.
Ok, then we agree. We do have some Christian colleges around here and in some churches (such as mine) to become a full-time ministor (not a youth leader) you have to do some bachelor courses over at the Christian college - fair enough, butI see what you mean.

I agree with the children at college thing. Personally I would want to wait until I was more mature before having kids. But I guess if you feel you would be tempted and it wouldn't be a good thing, then perhaps putting off marraige a bit could be wise. Depends on circumstances I think.

Frankly, whenever I get out of college, then I will consider the children. I care less about maturity and more about practicality. Though my reasoning for children is not out of desire and lust, but because I have always wanted to have kids (bit odd, I know, since it is usually the woman who dreams about having children)

Pard said:
Frankly, whenever I get out of college, then I will consider the children. I care less about maturity and more about practicality. Though my reasoning for children is not out of desire and lust, but because I have always wanted to have kids (bit odd, I know, since it is usually the woman who dreams about having children)
I wouldn't mind some kids either. Hey, perhaps us two could apply for membership for the women's locker room? :lol :biggrin

:couch

I think I'll have to chat to the other mods. The forum doesn't seem to be working properly. :tongue :lol

[attachment=0:1rvhfzxz]ladies.jpg[/attachment:1rvhfzxz]

I was too busy during my college years to care about dating and now that I am out of college almost a year now, I still don't feel a pressing need on my part (God would think differently I believe) for me to date.

Some of us just like to take our time.

Hey man im 20 as well, and working my way through college. Dont mistake singleness for a curse. You have a lot of freedom and mobility as a single man, and you can use it for the Kingdom. Marriage will come, but it will be in God's timing. Focus your gaze upon Christ, the Author and Perfector of our faith, and one day God will give you a helpmate.

I am in a similar situation. I decided a long time ago that I was not going to get married or have kids in college. I've heard too many stories of people getting married in college and then having kids in college and the woman having to drop out. I was going to finish my degree first. I don't really feel bad when I see people with spouses or boyfriends. Sometimes, but rarely. Most of the time, I'm quite happy being single. Right now, I'm way too busy for a boyfriend. Also, I live in a small town with no Christian guys my age. There's a few who are younger than me but there's none that I would like to date. I'm looking forward to leaving for college (I'm currently taking classes at home) in two months and meeting decent guys who are dateable.

Anyway, sometimes I do feel weird about not having a significant other and working toward marriage with a boyfriend. I have a friend who's 9 months older than me who's been married for six months. I have a friend who's seriously dating who's 1 1/2 years younger than me (they've talked about marriage but the boyfriend won't officially ask her to marry him until she's 18 so her parents don't flip out) and I have another friend who's three years older than me and she just got married and another guy I knew who's about the same age is married. Sometimes I do feel "why don't I have someone?" I'm just nine months younger than my mom was when she got married.

But most of the time I'm cool with it.

i really have a second on thought on getting married because the word married means a lot to me. problems and concerns in life is very difficult. you to think about these seriously. you have to enjoy your life while your still single, don't be hurry you will meet the right guy for you. you must think about the future you can give to your children if you get married so early and not stable.

think twice my dear and be wise....

I lucked out. I met my wife in my final semester. She however was a freshmen, mind you an older freshmen. We were ready to get married, and about 15 months from the time we started dating, we got married. Here we are, she is one month and one semester away from graduating, and we are expecting our first child in March. There will be some challenges for the last 6 weeks of her college education, but we trust God will work those out. It is tough to be married and have college work, but if it's what God has planned, just trust and obey and He'll show you what you should do.

Man I am 20 and have been engaged for about 4 months. We both agreed that the wedding will not happen until school is finished. I finished not to long ago but she has about a year left and I plan to go back for an additional four years. We are going to get married when she graduates not me, ONLY because I have my career job and just want additional schooling in case I like lose a leg.. My advice would be go to school man, if you meet someone there or while in school, see how it goes. If she is the one you can always discuss it or even be engaged but not married.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back