Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Colossians 1:16-20 Question

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Gendou Ikari wrote:
John 6:44 (King James Version) No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

When God the Father draws someone to Him it doesn't in no way mean that a person has no choice in whether they are willing to accept that attraction/draw, or whether they will choose to refuse to be drawn by God.

And in keeping this scripture in line with the whole of the bible, it is That person who accepts the draw of God, which will be raised up at the last day IF they are of those who have accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, believe Him and obey Him.
However, it is those who reject and refuse to accept the offer who are of those who are outside of the gates of heaven. Revelation 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Relic, you can proclaim as much as you want that you, of your own free-will, choose to save yourself from Eternal Damnation but that doesn't make it true.

John 15:16 (King James Version) Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Who does the choosing God or Man?

Quote:

Gendou Ikari wrote:
When have I ever said that I'm doomed to hell. I don't even believe in Hell.

PotLuck wrote:
Quote:
If that one word means eternal I'm ok. If it doesn't I'm still ok and will see something wonderful I'd not expected. If it can mean eternal then you're in for quite shock. Therein lies your wager. Anonios cannot mean eternal above all costs, no matter what.
How far are you willing to go Gendou Ikari?

Gendou Ikari wrote:

I'm willing to go as far as I have to in order to find the truth. If Aiwnios means Eternal then I'm headed for Hell. But as I stated before, I would never even want to be in a Heaven with a ******* god, who would eternally damn anyone.

Fortunately Aiwnios doesn't mean Eternal. When I think about it if Aiwnios means eternal than the Scriptures contradict. For you cannot say God is Love and yet God will eternally damn most of humanity.

You admit that IF such and such is so, then you are headed for hell, to this place called hell, even though you say you don't believe in it.

Well, (even if a definition of a word means eternal or not) you can't say you are going to hell if you don't even believe in hell.
Hell and eternity are two different things.

Your wordings are not much different than those atheists who come on board and talk about God but they say they don't believe there is a God. How can you talk about the facts about God if you don't even admit to there even being a God? That's like saying I will discuss the fact that 2+2=4 but I don't believe in addition.

If you don't believe there is a hell then you have no say so in the matter.
Because to you..... there is not hell. So what have you to talk about? Nothing! All you can talk about is the duration of an age. Whether it is temporary or not.

But if torture is not hell, because how can it be? you don't believe in hell... and you say it is only temporary then why would Jesus talk about that worm that dies not , in hell?

The only point I was trying to make is that if what you believe about God and Hell is true then I am definately headed for Hell.

excerpts taken from an article on:

“Hellâ€Â

The doctrine of an eternal hell is a very important doctrine, but not usually a popular one. Most people, who are not Christians, cannot comprehend how a loving God could put mankind, who seem to be fairly good, into a place of torment for eternity. There are those who do not believe in a literal or eternal hell or try to make it something other than what the bible teaches. But I will show in this chapter that there is a literal hell and that it also is a place of eternal torment for all who reject Christ Jesus as Lord of their lives and choose to live sinful lifestyles.

A Real Place or just the Grave?

First lets look at the view of those who believe that hell is not a literal place of torment. Many religious groups, such as the Jehovah’s Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventist’s, the Worldwide Church of God, and others, have had influence in the lives of people, teaching that hell is only the grave and not a place of eternal torment in fire. But they miss some very important facts. Some people simply do not want to believe in such a place or cannot comprehend why a God of love would send people there. But God doesn’t send anyone to hell by his choice. God has given every man the choice to make himself, whether to serve God and go to heaven or reject his way of salvation and go to hell. The bible says that God “is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance†2 Peter 3:9. God is a righteous judge! He does not want anyone to go to such a place of torment, and that is why God wants all mankind to come to repentance. If a person goes to hell, it will be because they chose to sin and rebel against the commands of God. But if a man deserves to be spared such judgment for any reason, God is just. But the bible only tells us one way to be spared, which is by Jesus Christ alone.

One argument against the reality of hell is with the Old Testament word for hell, which is “Sheolâ€Â. She'owl (sheh-ole'); Hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranean retreat), including its accessories and inmates:

KJV - grave, hell, pit.

The Hebrew and Greek definitions here are given by the “Strongs†or the “Vines†books of Hebrew and Greek definitions. The definition of the Hebrew word sheol is “The World of the deadâ€Â. What is a “world†other than a dwelling place of several individuals? It surely is not talking about individual graves. The three words listed after the definition of the word are words used in the King James Version Bible in place of this one Hebrew word. Although there are three English words used in this version of the bible, there is still only one definition in the Hebrew, which is “Hades†or “world of the deadâ€Â, which are the same place. It would make no difference if the King James would of used the word “casketâ€Â, the Hebrew definition is still the same, which is “World of the deadâ€Â. It used the word “grave†in the English translation, but does not mean grave, as we know a grave. The translators used the word “grave†because in the context of many of the scriptures it may appear to make more sense in the English, if they did not understand the existence of the underworld, as the grave is also a place for the dead. But the grave is for the body, while the underworld is for the soul.

Isaiah 5:14 “Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.â€Â

The English word “hell†in the Old Testament was always the Hebrew word “sheolâ€Â. But when talking about a grave, as we know a grave for a dead body, the bible uses the Hebrew word qeber, (keh'-ber); or (feminine) qibrah (kib-raw'); a sepulchre:

KJV - burying place, grave, sepulchre.

It is clear to see when examining the scriptures that when the bible uses the word “Sheol†it speaks of the underworld, and when it uses the word “qeber†it is speaking of the grave.

The Greek word for the grave is mnemeion (mnay-mi'-on); a remembrance, i.e. cenotaph (place of interment):

KJV - grave, sepulchre, tomb.

This word, like the word qeber is never used in the context of the departed soul, but only for the dead body. When speaking of the departed soul, the bible always uses the words sheol in Hebrew and Hades in the Greek. There are no scriptures given in the Old Testament that indicate that anyone who ever died during those dispensations went to Heaven. The only ones we can assume that went to Heaven during those times would be Enoch, Elijah, and possibly Moses. Enoch and Elijah never died a physical death, but were taken up alive. Moses did die, but was buried by God. The Psalmist said in Psalms 139:8 “If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.†Surely God will not be in Hell. But what he is saying is that God will always be with him, whether he would go down to sheol through death, or be taken up to heaven as Enoch and Elijah. Either way he knew he was secure in his God.

Because the Hebrew word “sheol†is used as the “grave†in the English “Old Testament†in some scriptures, those who would like to disprove the existence of hell will say that it is always referring to the grave and not a place of torment. Those who teach such do so because they do not understand that both the righteous and the unrighteous went to Sheol before the resurrection of Jesus. Sheol was the place of departed souls, both righteous and unrighteous, but had two main compartments, Hades (Hell) and Paradise. Hades would of course hold the unrighteous dead in it, and Paradise was for the righteous. In Genesis we have an account where after Jacob got word that his son was dead, even though his other sons had lied to him, and he said this:

Genesis 37:35 “And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted; and he said, For I will go down into the grave unto my son mourning. Thus his father wept for him.â€Â

Jacob was not saying that he was going to die himself from mourning so much and go into a grave. But he said here that he wanted to “go down unto himâ€Â, meaning he wanted to be with his son. Surely he was not saying his son was in Hell and that he wanted to go there also. And what good would it do for Jacob to go into the grave? Could he really be with his son if he was in a grave? Surely not consciously! He was talking of a place where he would be conscious along with his son. The definition of Sheol, as seen above, means “the world of the deadâ€Â. This is the underworld, which contains hell with paradise near by. Paradise is the part of the underworld where all the righteous dead went, until Jesus brought them all out after his death on the cross. And surely Jacob did not believe that his son went to hell. That is why the word grave was used here. Man cannot comprehend the meaning of the word hell as the underworld, but only as a place of torment. But it is proper to understand this to mean the “world of the deadâ€Â. For at that time, both the righteous and the unrighteous went to the underworld when they died. The righteous went into paradise, and the unrighteous into the place of torment, which we refer to as “hellâ€Â. The word “sheol†has been used to describe where a person went when they died. In some scriptures the translators of the bible found it to make more sense to put the word “graveâ€Â, and others they found it more proper to use the word “hellâ€Â. But in reality, it was only the body that went into the grave, but the soul went to the underworld, to Sheol. The English word “grave†is not proper in light of the proper definition of the Hebrew word “Sheolâ€Â, but should always be translated as “the world of the dead†or “the underworldâ€Â.

Paradise and Hades

Matthew 12:40 "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

The heart of the earth is not a tomb, where Jesus’ body was placed after he died. The heart of anything is always referring to the center of that thing. So sheol or Hades is near the center of the earth. When Jesus was on the cross and spoke to the thief, he told him that “today you will be with me in paradiseâ€Â. Luke 23:43 “And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.†But how could Jesus go to hell and take the keys of death and hell from Satan if he was going to be somewhere else (Paradise). It is because hell and paradise are located near each other, and together are known as the underworld (Sheol). This is where Jesus went when he died, which is in the heart of the earth. He did not go into a place of torment. But the keys are not literal keys anyway. Jesus’ death and resurrection are the keys. He stole that victory from the devil the day he rose again and led those in paradise free. Some would assume that he went to hell to pay for our sins. Jesus did not take the punishment for our sins in hell. He took our punishment for sin on the cross as a type of a sacrificial lamb. He bore our iniquities on the cross and not in hell. In 2 Corinthians 5:21 the Bible says, "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." When it says, "He was made to be sin," it means He was made to be a "sin offering." He bore the sins of all mankind on the cross. He did not bear our sins in hell, nor was he tormented there. But he did that on the cross when he shed his blood. But his purpose for going to paradise was different.

Ephesians 4:8-10 “Wherefore he saith, when he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)â€Â

In an early Church writing called the Epistula Apostolorum (Epistle of the Apostles) the following statement was made as a quote from Jesus:

“For to that end went I down unto the place of Lazarus, and preached unto the righteous and the prophets, that they might come out of the rest which is below and come up into that which is above; and I poured out upon them with my right hand the water (baptism) of life and forgiveness and salvation from all evil, as I have done unto you and unto them that believe on me.

His purpose for descending into the underworld was to bring out those who were in Paradise and take them to the new paradise in heaven. This happened starting the same day that he died, when he told the thief that “today†he would be with him in paradise. When he took the keys he not only led out those that where in Paradise on the third day, but also made the way of salvation for all mankind to be saved. So where did Jesus go, but to the lower parts of the earth where the underworld is. He was there for three complete days. They had been there waiting for the day when the savior would die for the sins of man and take them out of captivity. The blood of animals was never enough to save anyone. This is why the thief that repented on the cross also went to paradise and not heaven or hell. Jesus had to die first, and then he had to rise from the dead. When he had risen so did many of the old saints, which appeared to many in the city on that day. Matthew 27:52-53 “And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.†Matthew did not say that they stayed in the holy city, but only that they appeared to many, and not to all. So they obviously went to heaven afterwards to be with Jesus from that point on. This was a demonstration of the power of Jesus’ resurrection. It was to prove to an ignorant people that there is a resurrection of the dead, and that Jesus is truly the Christ. Paradise may have been a type of what the Catholic Church calls purgatory. But it was emptied at the time of Jesus resurrection and there is no longer any such place in use.

We know that paradise is not in hell. So paradise had to be next to hell. His purpose was to lead captivity captive, to bring them out of Paradise, and to take them to the new paradise with him. There is a story that Jesus told about hell that also confirms that hell and paradise where next to one another.

Luke16:19-26 "There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence."

Some would like to say that this is not a true story, but only a story like a parable. But it would make no sense at all for Jesus to tell a story about a place that does not even exist. That would make him a liar and a deceiver. Jesus never used names in a story unless it was something that really happened. In a parable he might say, “there was a manâ€Â, but never used names. Here in this passage of scripture, he not only uses names, but also mentions that hell was next to paradise. So close that the rich man was able to talk to Abraham, but there was a gulf between the two so that nobody could pass from one place to the other.

The New Testament, being written in Greek, uses a word for hell that is nearly the same definition as the Hebrew word Sheol. The Greek word is haides (hah'-dace) "Hades" or the place (state) of departed souls:

KJV - grave, hell.

This same word is translated as the grave, but only in one scripture in the New Testament. 1 Corinthians 15:55 “O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?†Although the word grave is used here, it is not the proper translation of the Greek word. It would be proper to translate this word as hell, saying “O hell, where is thy victory†After all it is hell that would get the victory over the soul of a person and not the grave. It is obvious in the story of the rich man and Lazarus that the rich man did not lift up his eyes from the grave. For there would be no consciousness in the grave, but there is in hell. Hell was the place of departed (all) souls (Plural). It is the underworld. The grave is not for the soul, but for the body. The paradise of the underworld is now empty, and all Christians that die today go to the new paradise, which is in the heavens. This paradise is discussed in the chapter on Heaven.

Hell is Eternal

Mark 9:43-48 "And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched''. Five times Jesus mentioned hell as a place of fire that shall never be quenched, and where the worm does not die. Some people will teach that hell is only a temporary place of judgment, and not eternal. But Jesus said, “the fire is never quenchedâ€Â. And that people will be in this eternal place of judgment is evident by the fact that Jesus was warning against going to such an eternal place. The word for “hell†in the passage is the Greek word geena (gheh'-en-nah); of Hebrew origin; valley of Hinnom; ge-henna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem, used (figuratively) as a name for the place (or state) of everlasting punishment.

Gehenna was known as the place where people took their trash to burn it. The fires of this city dump never stopped burning. Jesus was using the word Gehenna here figuratively to help people understand somewhat of what hell is like. The fire never stops burning and the worm never dies. The fact that the word Gehenna was used figuratively does not mean that hell is not real. Because it is obvious that Jesus was talking about a place where people will be going for eternity and the horrible mistake they will make in doing so. Matthew 25:46 “And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternalâ€Â. Jesus used this figurative comparison to help the people of that day to understand what the real hell was like; eternal fire that is never quenched. Revelation 14:11 “And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor nightâ€Â.

2 Thessalonians 1:9 “Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;†Many have assumed that hell will annihilate its victims, because the bible speaks of the soul being “destroyed†in hell. But destruction here does not mean to end the existence of the soul, but to leave the soul in everlasting punishment without any hope of escape. This is made evident in this scripture when the Apostle said that they will be punished with “everlasting†destruction. This destruction will last for all eternity without end, otherwise it would not be everlasting.

Matthew 5:29-30 “And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut if off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.†Jesus in this scripture is using the word gehenna. In this passage he says that it is better for a person to pluck out their own eye if they have a problem with looking at women with lust in their heart. Because otherwise that lust could lead them into sin in which they may wind up going to hell for eternity. That is a hard statement to say someone should pluck out his or her eye or cut of a hand or something else. But if it will keep you from falling into sin and going to hell it would be well worth it.

Matthew 25:41-46 “Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.†Jesus will separate the sheep from the goats, the true Christians from the non-Christians. Those who are on his left, which he calls the goats, will go away into “everlasting†punishment.

All true believers now go directly to heaven at death and do not wait in paradise as the Old Testament saints did. II Corinthians 5:6-8: "Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: (For we walk by faith, not by sight:) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord."

Is Hell Worse for Some?

The bible says that every Christian will stand before God at the Judgment seat of Christ and be judged by their works during their life in their physical bodies. Each Christian will receive their rewards according to their works. This belief is fairly well received amongst Christians. But what about those who will go to hell? Will there be harsher punishments for those who may have done more evil works than others? Or is the ignorant sinner treated the same as the reprobate murderer?

Although the bible is not completely clear on this subject, it does appear to indicate that such will be so. We need to understand that the bible always refers to hell as a place of eternal torment for all who go there, regardless how bad they may have been in this life. But it is very possible that some may receive further torments from different beasts and evil creatures that are in hell, or be confined to areas specifically made for those who receive the harsher judgment. Let’s read a few scriptures that might lead us to understand this belief of different levels in hell.

2 Peter 2:21 “For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.†Peter says that it would be better for a person who never heard the gospel on the “day of judgment†then it would be if they hear it and even know it, to then turn away from it. But is not sin, sin? And is not hell, hell? It would appear that he is saying that judgment will be harsher for some sinners than it will be for others.

Matthew 11:24 “But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee.†Jesus spoke to the religious people of his day that rejected his truth and were self-righteous. He tells them that their judgment will be worse than those who lived in Sodom. But will they not all be in the same place of torment? If they all went to the same hell, then how could their punishment possibly be any harsher? There must be added torment for those who are judged with harsher judgment.

Hebrews 10:29 “Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?â€Â

Luke 12:47-48 “And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.†Jesus said that punishment will be worse for those who know to do right and do not. And those who don not know, but are ignorant, although they will still be punished, theirs will not be as harsh. James 4:17 “Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.â€Â

“The bottomless Pitâ€Â

To make mention of a bottomless pit sounds like something you might hear in some science fiction book or movie. But it is in the bible as well and was there way before Hollywood ever made any mention of it. Revelation 9:1-11 “And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit. And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit. And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power. And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads. And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man. And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them. And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men. And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions. And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle. And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power was to hurt men five months. And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.â€Â

Revelation 11:7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

Revelation 20:1-3 “And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.â€Â

It is out of the bottomless pit that the locusts like creatures and beast will come. And it is also where Satan will be bound and cast into for a thousand years until the end of the millennium. Then he will be released for a season to deceive the nations once again. But after this he will receive his final judgment and be cast into the Lake of Fire, which will be his eternal place along with all the lost souls of mankind and the fallen Angels.

The Lake of Fire

Christ has the keys of death and hell, which will ultimately have to give up its wicked dead for judgment. "Sheol" or "Hades" (the present hell) will then come to an end just as Paradise did, and the "Lake of Fire" will take its place.

Revelation 20:10-15 "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, From whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire".

Being that the Lake of Fire is a different place than Hades, some assume that the Lake of fire will consume its victims, causing them to be non-existent. This is known as the doctrine of Annihilationism. This is concluded because that it is called the second death. But the first death is the death of the body, and the second death is of the soul being eternally cut off from God. Others say that the first death is the spiritual death that separated us from God from that fall of man, then the second death being the same. Either way, it is the second death we are focusing on in this chapter. Those that teach “Annihilationism†do not believe in the first hell and only believe the lake of fire to be for a moment as the sinner is being consumed and becoming non-existent, or annihilated. But if men were annihilated, then it would not be eternal punishment as the bible speaks of. The bible says that the Lake of Fire will be a place of eternal torment, “and shall be tormented day and night for ever and everâ€Â. The scripture says that Satan will be cast into the Lake of fire where the Anti-Christ and false prophet are. The first death, which is physical and spiritual, happens to a person who dies in their sin without Christ. The second death is a result of the first death, which is eternal judgment of the soul, without hope. Although their bodies died in the first death, they will be resurrected to go before God in judgment. They will go from the first death that takes them to Hades, then after the resurrection of the dead to judgment, then to the second death in the Lake of Fire. The second death does not mean annihilation. Many would like to believe that, as it is much easier to accept the thought of being annihilated then it is to burn in a Lake of Fire for eternity. But there resurrected bodies will go into the Lake of Fire to the second death. Revelation 14:11 “And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor nightâ€Â. The bible does not give any indication at all that the soul of man will be annihilated. But it does use the terms “forever and ever†in the same way that it speaks of eternal life being forever. The first death did not end their existence, just as the second death does not either. But it is a final judgment of the souls of mankind. People do not have a problem accepting that God will give eternal life, but do not want to accept the scriptural fact of eternal punishment. But if they will never accept the reality of an eternal hell, it will not change the fact of its existence. Hell is not a popular doctrine that most Christians love to talk about or even want to believe in. But we must accept it as truth, because it is clearly in God’s Word. The unrighteous will experience a type of death, but yet be very much alive. But the righteous will go into eternal life.

Tartarus

Jude 6 “And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.â€Â

2 Peter 2:4 “For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;â€Â

Tartaroo (tar-tar-o'-o); from Tartaros (the deepest abyss of Hades); to incarcerate in eternal torment:

KJV - cast down to hell.

This place where these Angels are kept in the underworld is called Tartaros or Tartarus. This is a prison in the underworld where these Angels are kept in chains until the Day of Judgment.

1 Peter 3:19-20 “For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.â€Â

These spirits are the fallen Angels who are now in Tartarus, a separate compartment in the underworld, who had taken the daughters of men and had children. But Jesus did not go to Tartarus to preach to them. Verse 18 was talking about him being quickened by the Spirit. So in verse 19 he says that by the Spirit he preached to these Spirits. Not after they were in this prison, but when they were on earth in the days of Noah. Noah was a preacher of righteousness, anointed by the Spirit of God to preach righteousness in those days. Verse 20 indicates that during this time that they had heard the preaching, even though they were disobedient, God was longsuffering through the 120 years while Noah built the Ark. It would do no more good to preach to them while in Tartarus than it would to go to Hades and preach to the lost that are there. Why would he preach to a lost and hopeless people who cannot receive it? Once they have died all hope of salvation was gone. Some scholars have suggested that Jesus went and preached to people in hell and that many got saved. But that neither follows God’s righteous judgment, nor does their theology have any scriptural support. But the bible is clear that hell is a real place and that God does not want anyone to go there. Jesus died to keep all men from going to such a place, but he leaves the choice up to you and I.

John 3:16-17 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.â€Â

2 Peter 3:9 “The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.â€Â

(example of defining terms:
"should" does not ean "will" I should jog.... but I don't do it all the time!
So whosoever should jog, should not have flabby thighs. )

Romans 10:13 “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.â€Â

(example of definition of term:
who so ever meaning... who ever does it, ....that is,.... makes that call upon the Lord, then.... they shall be...... saved.

In other words..... if they don't, then they... shall not be saved.

again,
But the bible is clear that hell is a real place and that God does not want anyone to go there. Jesus died to keep all men from going to such a place, but he leaves the choice up to you and I.

Please forgive me for not commenting on the whole post. I don't have the time to do so. All of these articles saying what Sheol, and Hades are, missed one simple definition of it, given to us by God.

Ecclesiastes 9:10 (King James Version) Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave[SHEOL], whither thou goest.

Why dost thou dispute God?

mutzrein said:
Relic said:
When God the Father draws someone to Him it doesn't in no way mean that a person has no choice in whether they are willing to accept that attraction/draw, or whether they will choose to refuse to be drawn by God.

Sounds like we have to make a human decision in order to be born again. Doesn't scripture deny that?

And you are kidding right? :o

You are trying to set me up for one of your trick questions right?
Like our names are written already in the Lambs book of life! :lol:
God Knows the outcome even before we do.

Well, yes! God knows because He made the rules of order.
But he didn't give us ALL of HIS WISDOM! HE gave us our own senses from which to make decisions.

Wouldn't the world we live in be really drab if we were without choices?
Wouldn't we be like nothing but robots if God was going to force us to follow him? What good is choice if there really is not choice at all?
God is not a trickster! He gives us choices to be whatever way we choose to be. It is up to us to make the choices that lead to Him, but we are not going to be forced to make choices. It is our freedom to choose which path we take in life. But the outcome of our choices are absolute. There are absolute laws of order that cannot be broken. For instance.... you can't make yes mean no and no mean yes! It is just impossible! Unless you want to believe a lie that yes means no. Then you live in deception of the truth! Get it? It is all about choices. AND YES, WE HAVE A CHOICE as to whether we want to be baptised or not. Some people reject the holy spirit all too often. And IF you are truly born again.... you DON'T seek after acting out in sin!
Christians don't seek out sin. they repent of it! and Go and sin no more. If you aren't living in such a way as to remove sin from your life, then you are not being born again in the spirit. you are then being born into the carnality of greed, and in so doing is to live in deception of what you had taken claim to! You can't live a lie IF you have the HOLY SPIRIT living IN you. Reject the holy spirit and you have turned your back and denied truth. Peter denied Christ three times..... was this before the Holy Spirit descended on them on the Day of Pentecost or not?

When did the Apostles and including Peter finally receive the Holy Spirit? It was after Christ died on the cross.

Jesus said... take up your cross and follow me.

It is clearly a choice of an action to take on my part! :)

No offense, really, but I am now curious.... Is English your native language?

Do you know what it means to take action?
Do you know what it means to give and it shall be given unto you?
Do you know what it means to accept something?
Do you know what it meand to make a choice to act upon something, or not?

The bible is full of verbs,

put on
accept
take
give
follow
repent
receive

The list goes on and on!

Why would God force us to follow him and allow us to accept to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit BUT before all that happens he tells us to repent (to turn away from, to go and sin no more) , if we didn't have a choice?

Why would Jesus say.... ye have not because ye ask not!

and also,

Why would the Lord say.... My people perish for lack of knowledge. ...

If we didn't have any choices in this world?

'This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live.' (Deuteronomy 30:19)

Why would there even be any guidance in life if we didn't have the freedom to choose? :o

Matthew 4:17
From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Read the book of John also pay attention to all the options we have that are pointed out to us in the bible. Why would God give us options if He is forcing us to follow after him?

What is with you guys that you don't believe in freewill? :-?

God gave us options in life! WE DO HAVE CHOICES. IT IS UP TO US TO MAKE THE CORRECT CHOICES IN LIFE! :bday: BE born again.

BElieve, the word is a verb. In order for that verb to have an effect in your life, you must TAKE into your mind a new frame of mind, a new belief system, a new STANDARD from which you choose to live your life. REnewed mind, order to BElieve.

Be ye transformed by the renewing of the mind.

Be ye born again...

John 3:7
Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

1Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

If someone gives you something.,.... You have to take it (as then being yours, an act of accepting, ) in order to receive it.

Being born again is a matter of receiving the Holy spirit that comes.

Someone can knock on my door but I don't have to answer it!

You have to accept the offering! And you have to live in accordance to what is given to you. You can't accept a gift and then toss it in a corner to never be used and then go about thinking the thing that was offered to you is in effect in your life! You have to take action and utilize that which is given to you!

Anybody knows that in order to maintain a relationship with God we have to GIVE our attention to that relationship and ACT upon it, receive what is being offered.... It is a give and take relationship! If we don't have that then what is relationship anyway? You can't have relationship only being one sided. It doesn't work that way!

Think about it.....

In any relationship.....

If you don't accept and receive the gift that comes in the form of an offering, it's not really yours then....

is it?
:roll:

:bday:

• John 3:1-36
    1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
    2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
    3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
    4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
    5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
    6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
    7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
    8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
    9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
    10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?
    11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
    12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
    13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
    14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
    15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
    16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
    18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
    19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
    20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
    21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.
    23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.
    24 For John was not yet cast into prison.
    25 Then there arose a question between some of John's disciples and the Jews about purifying.
    26 And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him.
    27 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven.
    28 Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him.
    29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.
    30 He must increase, but I must decrease.
    31 He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all.
    32 And what he hath seen and heard, that he testifieth; and no man receiveth his testimony.
    33 He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true.
    34 For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.
    35 The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.
    36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

You know, it may just be me but does anyone else think we may have strayed off topic just a tad? :tongue

Yeah - just a tad I reckon. I didn't think such a simple question would have provoked such a lot of copy & pasting. Wasn't supposed to be tricky either - just trying to get to the premise.

Oh well back later - need sleep.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back