Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

compassion: more or less "these days" ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I'm 30. I'm kind of under the impression that there's less compassion for people than back in the day, but...I don't know. There's certainly less of a safety net, more income inequality, more people incarcerated, etc.

Sooooo....yeah. For those you who are older, what do you think? Because sometimes, I think that everybody, at all strata of society, are more "out for #1" and "survival of the fitts," "every man for himself," etc. than in years, decades, generations past. But I could be wrong.

I'm 30. I'm kind of under the impression that there's less compassion for people than back in the day, but...I don't know. There's certainly less of a safety net, more income inequality, more people incarcerated, etc.

Sooooo....yeah. For those you who are older, what do you think? Because sometimes, I think that everybody, at all strata of society, are more "out for #1" and "survival of the fitts," "every man for himself," etc. than in years, decades, generations past. But I could be wrong.

Hey, I'm 20, :hysterical

Nope, OK, nearly 57,
Yep, when I was younger we lived in a farmhouse, never locked the doors.
Teenagers and adults would help an old lady, opening doors and such.
Now you are lucky if one doesn't steal the old ladys' purse when passing by them!

I liked the 60's and 70's
Good music!

We were flower childs ,peace and love, :biggrin2

Mothers raised their own children, no day care.
We had good work ethics, work that farm.
We respected the elders.

We helped our neighbors, instead harming them, or stealing something..

Oh could just go on and on and on.

:topic

Yep, things has changed.

Hey, I'm 20, :hysterical

Nope, OK, nearly 57,
Yep, when I was younger we lived in a farmhouse, never locked the doors.
Teenagers and adults would help an old lady, opening doors and such.
Now you are lucky if one doesn't steal the old ladys' purse when passing by them!

I liked the 60's and 70's
Good music!

We were flower childs ,peace and love, :biggrin2

Mothers raised their own children, no day care.
We had good work ethics, work that farm.
We respected the elders.

We helped our neighbors, instead harming them, or stealing something..

Oh could just go on and on and on.

:topic

Yep, things has changed.

one can look for the good and bad. so it depends on where. I would say its a mixture then and now. I cant speak about the 70s much. In the 80s being poor I would say we did have an anymous food donor. not all the time but it was monthly.

I think there's a lack of compassion on both sides. Liberals pat themselves on the back for speaking up for poor people; conservatives blame poor people for all their problems and try to cut social programs.

I think there's a lack of compassion on both sides. Liberals pat themselves on the back for speaking up for poor people; conservatives blame poor people for all their problems and try to cut social programs.
I see liberals holding people poor to control them.. i dont blame poor people for my problems

Social programs are what the liberals use hold poor people poor... The 50 + year war on poverty has done what?

Conservatives don't 'blame' poor people for all their problems. Instead, conservatives believe that people should be responsible for their decisions and actions. It's recognized that there are times when a helping hand may be needed .... but that help should not persistently last for two or three generations.

We are supposed to help our neighbors who need help .... not government. Government raises taxes in order to turn around and hand out money to make people dependent upon the government. Some people willingly shirk their own personal responsibility in order to receive more hand outs, until they know how to play the system and live nicely without having to put much effort in providing for themselves.

As for compassion, or lack thereof ..... some people have social relationships primarily through their smart phones, texting, tweeting, but not much face-to-face communication. Some people also believe that the rules do not apply to them ...that it's fine to steal from stores or rob from others. Everything is all about them, instead of them being one amongst many in a community.

Conservatives blame the government for keeping the poor at poverty level and the poor cannot see this so they want more of the same. I agree with reba, the liberals appear to want to show compassion, but what they really want is power and control.

As far as your question about showing compassion, even though the world has changed, the church is still going strong and if a person is paying attention, compassion abounds. There are many many believers who display a great amount of sincere compassion. I have been blessed to work with many.
I doubt if I am alone in this, but I could write a book on just what I have witnessed. Compassion is alive and well in the church!

You are so very right but so very wrong, you see the problem is due to a break down of learning. Once people stop being open to learning all order breaks down and evil ensures.

Christ _empowered, my 62'nd birthday is tomorrow. I believe society is less compassionate now then in the past, although there was always a lot of selfishness. I have a different take on economics then others on this forum. See my posts on Christians and Politics on the Current Events and Politics subforum.

Dear Brother Christ_empowered, your question brought interesting thoughts with them. Looking back I believe each generation faced a lack of compassion relevant to their immediate need. WW1, the great depression, WW2, etc., and these were just the national problems affecting great amounts of the populace. Those not involved seldom considered those they only read about. This same narcissism doesn’t seem to cross the lines of economic disparity in any era. I do know I have little empathy toward Donald Trump and any problem he may face in his day to day businesses.

How do we develop love enough to care? Many Christians don’t want trials of their faith; I don’t like and ask for them either, but we read in:
2 Cor 1:3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;
2 Cor 1:4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

Dear Brother Christ_empowered, your question brought interesting thoughts with them. Looking back I believe each generation faced a lack of compassion relevant to their immediate need. WW1, the great depression, WW2, etc., and these were just the national problems affecting great amounts of the populace. Those not involved seldom considered those they only read about. This same narcissism doesn’t seem to cross the lines of economic disparity in any era. I do know I have little empathy toward Donald Trump and any problem he may face in his day to day businesses.

How do we develop love enough to care? Many Christians don’t want trials of their faith; I don’t like and ask for them either, but we read in:
2 Cor 1:3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;
2 Cor 1:4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.
I don't pray for pain so that I can emphasize, that I don't have to ask for. God just brings that stuff.

In the late forties and the fifties Texas was a great place for children and the Elderly. I learned that Children, Women and Old Folks were precious and no matter your vent, you DID NOT CURSE around them and doors had handles for young men to open them! My dad never wore any of his medals because when he did people revered him and he wanted that attention applied to the ones that paid the ultimate price.

Today men beat and rape women, old and young, and beat the living snot out of them. If you can't open a door, today, you don't need to be there! %Today, if you have what I want, you owe it to me@!

I do not like people's attitude so much today.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back