Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

COMPUTER Help Please!!!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
We have been using a 2002 Microsoft office version on our Vista and other windows 7 computer. Recently the 2002 version is not working anymore on the computer. I think simply of almost 12 years old it’s not able to read it correctly like it used to. We are looking for an update version of Microsoft office. That which where we can use this to write letters as a document to type out and copy and paste and sent to friends. We tried to download a 2010 version. It says free download. But once you try to install it then it asks for a code. Then they want you to pay 139 dollars. So then how is that free?

We don’t work in an office. We just use it at home to type letters and use the spell check and grammar check. We don’t want to pay 139 dollar for a 2010 version. Does anyone know what we can do to get a program not too outdated to get the Microsoft office or that document that you can use to type letter correct spelling and grammar? Plus of course change font and colors of. .

What should we do? We want something less than fifty dollars we are not serious business workers. . But using this program is helpful at home. What and where should we get for a decent price on this program? I figure those using computers or good at saving money can answer this. Also please I am not always familiar with computer Lingo and abbreviations so try not to get carried aware with terms but breaking them down simpler. For example if you say ‘OS” say ’operating system’ that helps me to know what your talking about. . I’m several years back from some of these computer ideas and up.

I want to clarify that I am looking for something that can be used with Windows 7. It also has to have spell check, and grammar check for under $50 if possible. I’m on a fixed income.

OpenOffice is good, but if your system has a problem excepting that give the following link a try. Ive been using it for a while now and it seems to do everything I need it for. I basically use it for the same things you do.
http://www.libreoffice.org/

OpenOffice is good, but if your system has a problem excepting that give the following link a try. Ive been using it for a while now and it seems to do everything I need it for. I basically use it for the same things you do.
http://www.libreoffice.org/
Open Office and Libre Office are basically the same Office Suite and were built by the same team when they split after Open Office was purchased and before it was ported to
Apache. Both of them use the same format, recognized and opened my MS Office 2010 and after.

I forth the consensus regarding an open office suite. However, whether or not Vista can do so without the attitudes is another thing. Even avid MS fans hate that version. I'll give it a 25% shot that something will work on that OS, at least for awhile until it gets bogged down and slows up taking 5 minutes just to boot up or something like that.

Between the operating system you now have, and the "free deal" you got, you been rooked IMO. Hopefully what you downloaded (or if you downloaded) is not some Trojan yet to boot coming with your software.

I, working the members of my Church Family's computers, agree with Tim's critique. Tim, if I remember right, and I both use a variant of Linux and avoid nearly all of the MS Windoze plagues.

I currently use Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop and Mint 14 Cinnamon on my Desktop. I love Ubuntu, as does HP on everyone of their new servers but, Mint being, just, another flavor of Ubuntu and knowing you will need to do no customization to use the system, I strongly recommend Mint with the Cinnamon Desktop for it's feel like windoze for newbees.

It comes with the free Office Suite that would cost over 600 dollars to get that much from MS.

I've used both MS Office and the truly free Open Office on Win XP, 7, and 8 and have no problems or complaints at all about Open Office. Can't speak for Vista as being a flight sim fan I avoided that one like the plague and never regretted it. :)

I don't think you will find a legitimate copy of MS Office for anywhere near your $50 goal, so if I were you I would keep the $50 and download Open Office for free. Like any program, give yourself some time to get used to the details of how it works and I think you will find it to be so similar you wont even notice much difference. Just make sure, as with any freeware, updated drivers, or whatever that you download it directly from their site (openoffice.org in this case) so that you are getting the real version of it, not a version that someone else has tampered with.

Thanks everyone for checking into this. See I guess I'm always learning something new.
I figure it would be good to ask here. We decided to get the Apache Open Office 4.0.1 version.

So far we like it better then what we had.
It has a better dictionary, better grammar check, let's you know when you are leaving too much space in between your words
and I'm sure much more then that.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Since you have all been helpful I would like to give you all a point.
To bad this posting board doesn't have a points sysyem. LOL!!!

If we run into any more problems I think this would be a good place to ask.

I, working the members of my Church Family's computers, agree with Tim's critique. Tim, if I remember right, and I both use a variant of Linux and avoid nearly all of the MS Windoze plagues.

I currently use Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop and Mint 14 Cinnamon on my Desktop. I love Ubuntu, as does HP on everyone of their new servers but, Mint being, just, another flavor of Ubuntu and knowing you will need to do no customization to use the system, I strongly recommend Mint with the Cinnamon Desktop for it's feel like windoze for newbees.

It comes with the free Office Suite that would cost over 600 dollars to get that much from MS.

Yes, you remember correctly. I also remember that you install Linux on computers and give them out as a ministry, (good for you! :clap) and VERY FEW come back for problems. It's as if you install Linux and that computer sails off without a problem forever and you never hear from them again! I use Linux 12.04 Ubuntu on this laptop (Dell Inspiron E1505) which was originally the college computer of my son back in 2006 with Vista. But, it got one of it's usual viruses and "was ready for the trash heap" (as most people would say) when I decided to try destroying utterly the Microsoft off of it and installing Linux instead. That was two years ago. Today this computer is as good as new and I'm in love with it! I hope it never dies, but if it does, it'll be because of hardware and not software like Microsoft.

I can't for the life of me understand why people would stay with Microsoft AND PAY for it as well just to have myriads upon myriads of problems. I don't have that kind of patience or tolerance (nor do I seek to punish myself). One must have the patience of a Catholic Saint to stay with Microsoft (either that, or they are ignorant of what's out there that's better)

I'm well known for my detestation of everything Microsoft, and also the medical establishment's (and pharmaceutical) push for useless medicine. I cannot begin to express how weary I get with my hatred for these things.

Yes, you remember correctly. I also remember that you install Linux on computers and give them out as a ministry
LOL! I agree with your assessment of all things MS, I, so, agree. Back in the '70's I disassembled MS software and corrected the errors for folks. Then, that was what Hackers did but today there are so many Black Hat Hackers I try to avoid the title, completely, and I did not maintain the software tools for that work and restrict myself to ministry work since Jan. 1, 1990. I'm still repairing a few units and giving them away with Linux on them. You are correct, my man, Every machine has my email and phone number on it and a few, not many, will call for instruction but then they never trouble me again except for the rare hardware failure.

Since there are over a thousand flavors of Linux today, so the system is built to please sys-nuts like me and then there are some flavors for pure nerds and other flavors for just users that do not want to learn computers, but to just use them meaning there is no reason for paying anything for an operating system.

The last Desk-top I built for myself has 8 gig of RAM, a 3.1 gig Triple core and is snotty quick. I put my old copy of XP on it for the first week and when I wiped it and installed Ubuntu the average boot5 time dropped to abut 25%. I love the speed difference in the systems.

I'm still testing variants so that I can advise friends but I would not go back to MS software if they paid me. Since I Beta Tested a good bit for them they know something has changed but if I get an email from them for any reason, now, I hit Delete without reading.

God bless you for being a free thinking man.

Back