Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Confused I am... advice I need

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Dev

There's this girl I've known for almost 8 years now, and we're the best of friends, we hang out almost every day, whenever we can. I've always had somewhat of a crush on her, but lately it's getting bigger... The problem is she's 15 and I'm 19.
And then there's the whole "we've been best friends forever, don't want that to end" thing. Help?

Dev,

I'll give you the same advice I'm giving to my daughter and to the young man she dearly loves, but can't date because of the age difference.

Remain friends. Friendship is one of the most important relationships in life and unless there is a serious betrayal, remain friends.

Then...you're 19, you're single. You have a the last vestiges of childhood to grow out of into full adulthood. Concentrate on that. Finish your schooling, learn your trade, develop your talents that you are going to need to be a fully competent, contributing adult capable of supporting a family. Go your way.

If, along your way, you meet a young woman that you find a "connection" with, by all means ask her out. See where the relationship takes you. Naturally, conduct yourself with honor and integrity, keep chaste, but see if the young woman is someone that might possibly become much more in your life. If she's not, then she's not. Allow the relationship to move apart, just stay honest with her, don't treat her badly.

Also, go out with other friends. Have a social life. You're young and independent, this is a great time in life to do things that you might not be able to do later.

When all is said and done, and your 15 year old best friend turns 18...that's less than 3 years, since she's already 15...and the two of you still have the attraction, then by all means, ask her out then. If your friendship remains true throughout your moving into manhood and her finishing high school, there is probably a very good chance you have a life-long mate in her.

My daughter's young man is now dating another girl. He made the decision to do so last September, and the relationship seems to be going well. He talks with me about his girlfriend, and I don't get the impression that he's ready to pop the question to her anytime soon, but she's cute as a button and they certainly enjoy each other's company. I don't honestly know if he'll still be single when my daughter turns 18, but then again, he still has some pretty special feelings for her. I know it was a very hard decision for him, but one I fully support. And, one my daughter, even though it kills her to think of him dating, supports as well.

But, I'll wrap this up with this: Don't try to make your relationship with this 15 year old girl into anything more than friendship at this time. Over two years is too long and both of you will be making some jumps in your maturity level. You might find big changes in you when you turn 21...that's when things really hit my daughter's guy. She might rethink things a lot differently when she graduates high school...that's when my best friend's daughter broke up with the guy she thought she would marry just as soon as she turned 18.

If you push for something more than friendship and then things change...you'll lose the relationship. Stay as friends, live life, move forward...and when she's old enough to make an adult decision with a fellow adult...then go for it.

Thanks for that well thought out answer! That sounds like the best thing to do, I can certainly wait 3 years, she's well worth it.

Also, go out with other friends. Have a social life. You're young and independent, this is a great time in life to do things that you might not be able to do later.

When I said we hung out almost every day, I didn't mean it was exclusive, there are usually plenty of other friends around.
Thank you again.

Gotta agree with Dora on this one. While the age difference probably wouldn't bother you guys, being as good of friends as you are..wait till she's 18. Not only will she be more mature by then, but you don't have the whole legal or not issue looming (not assuming you'd do anything!). My friend had a similar issue and he just let the girl go, because at the time, things were going nowhere and he knew he'd have to wait anyway. Do your own thing, let her do her own thing, and just be there for her when she needs you.

+1 on Handy's and Navigator's post.

Don't spoil the friendship by making it something it's not, and keep yourself in check.

Thanks guys, I've decided to wait till she's 18, and if someone else comes along before then, I'll see how that goes :)
I was never jealous when she had a boyfriend, If she's happy, so am I :)
Hopefully it goes both ways!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back