Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Contemplating a Conversion to Christianity

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Despite my introduction, I actually joined this forum because I am seriously considering a conversion to Christianity. My grandparents were Catholics, but my mother did not believe in the teachings, and therefore raised me irreligious, never even introducing me to any sort of religion. However, this did not stop me from being fascinated with all types of faith and spirituality from a very young age. I have studied many religions and philosophies, finding beauty and wisdom in all of them, but never being truly called to any one of them. But, for years I stayed far away from Christianity. This was because all my friends talked about how they hated church and didn't listen to the priest at all, and I thought that a religion that could not even satisfy its initiates could not contain much truth. But two months ago, in desperation to find greater truth, I bought a Bible and read it. I was shocked to find how different what was in the bible from the boring old faith my friends described it as. I found beautiful poetry that was full of life and wisdom from ages long ago. I felt moved by what I read to the point where I have decided that I want to pursue this religion further. Does anyone have any advice for me on what I should do from this point?

Hello and welcome to CF.net! :wave

I'm very pleased to hear that you are thinking of becoming a believer. But that's exactly the point. There's a big difference between choosing religion and choosing Christ. Only Christ will get you into Heaven.

My advice at this point would be to read the gospels. Not that I think you're naive, but if you don't know that's Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Read and learn about Christ, and see what happens in your heart. If you find that you believe He is who He said He is, then you just have to confess to him that you're a sinner, that you believe He is the Christ, and ask Him to come into your heart. That simple.

Please, keep us updated as you delve into the Word!

Thank you. I will set myself to this task tonight. Up until this point I have only read the Old testament and the Book of Revelations.

It's good that you've read the OT. It will give you a good foundation to understand the life and teachings of Christ.

I have read the Gospel of Matthew, and I was utterly blown away by it! Your Jesus is a most magnificent hero. Here we have a son of God, a perfect holy being, who dies for men! I find it so incredible that a son of God would lay down his divine life for a race full of sin and evil. I mean look at human history full of war, genocide, hate, and sin. But, Jesus still gave himself up for us, when we are nothing compared to him,. It is deeply humbling and beautiful that he would do that. Jesus is clearly the most magnificent being to ever exist. His teachings are also excellent, bringing a simple message of love, peace, and humility to this world.

Despite my introduction, I actually joined this forum because I am seriously considering a conversion to Christianity. My grandparents were Catholics, but my mother did not believe in the teachings, and therefore raised me irreligious, never even introducing me to any sort of religion. However, this did not stop me from being fascinated with all types of faith and spirituality from a very young age. I have studied many religions and philosophies, finding beauty and wisdom in all of them, but never being truly called to any one of them. But, for years I stayed far away from Christianity. This was because all my friends talked about how they hated church and didn't listen to the priest at all, and I thought that a religion that could not even satisfy its initiates could not contain much truth. But two months ago, in desperation to find greater truth, I bought a Bible and read it. I was shocked to find how different what was in the bible from the boring old faith my friends described it as. I found beautiful poetry that was full of life and wisdom from ages long ago. I felt moved by what I read to the point where I have decided that I want to pursue this religion further. Does anyone have any advice for me on what I should do from this point?

Hello Aristocrat. I was very moved by your sincere story. I pray you will continue to seek God through Christianity. However, as you do, try to consider what the word religion and relationship mean in as great a depth as you can of each; because you will find that Christianity, although a religion, is actually much more than just that. Christianity is a real relationship with God. It is unique from any other religion in every way.

It is a long story that is still unfolding. It is about our creator, our freedom, His love for us, and our redemption from sin through His grace, mercy and love. No other religion is founded on the same type of sacrifice from any other god, but from the one who created you.

Christians don't just "happen". They are not people who simply made a decision to worship an idea, or concept of God. They are involved in a unique relationship with Christ, who is God, who chose them long before they chose Him.

One of our greatest known pastor, leader and missionary, Paul of Tarsus, was once a man who hatted Christians. He persecuted them mercilessly, but he met the resurrected Christ on a road leading to Damascus. Paul was converted at that moment and he grew in faith over time to become one of the greatest leaders of the church in our earlier years. Paul wrote, influenced, and dictated many letters, that today comprise a vast majority of the New Testament. In many of those letters. he talks about how we are chosen by God before we think we choose Him. For example, Colossians 3:12-17 (NIV) <sup class="versenum">12 </sup>Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. <sup class="versenum">13 </sup>Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. <sup class="versenum">14 </sup>And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
<sup class="versenum">15 </sup>Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. <sup class="versenum">16 </sup>Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. <sup class="versenum">17 </sup>And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Here are several more examples.
2 Thess. 2:13, "But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth."

1 Tim. 5:21,"I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus and of His chosen angels, to maintain these principles without bias, doing nothing in a spirit of partiality."

2 Tim. 2:10, "For this reason I endure all things for the sake of those who are chosen, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus and with it eternal glory."

any advice for me on what I should do from this point?

Sure, Embrace God. Embrace your salvation. Realize that God has chosen you right where you stand, right where you are in life, and you are excepted not by anything you can do, or have done, or will do. You are excepted in love, grace and mercy from the one who wants a relationship with you today. And, as you will walk with God in this life, you will learn, and grow in your faith, and as you do that you will grow strong in your faith, and as you do that you will reflect that same love, mercy and grace God has shown on you, to the world, and as you do that, others will come to know Christ as well. God has great plans for you, but you just have to let Him show you.

Bless you, and if you need anything, let me know. :wave

I felt moved by what I read to the point where I have decided that I want to pursue this religion further.

This is something to rejoice in. Blessed is the name of the LORD

Danus says it better than me, so my only advice is this: believe in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord, and you will be saved (Romans 10:9). You are saved grace through faith in Jesus Christ alone. Not your works, not your prayer, even baptism doesn't save you. It's faith in the LORD Jesus Christ that saves you. Jesus said that if you truly love him, you will follow your commandments.

So believe in your heart. The bible is much more than poetry, but it is the living word of God. It is timeless, and its truth endures forever.
Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.
Isaiah 49:15

Paul and Silas in jail
Around midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening. Suddenly, there was a massive earthquake, and the prison was shaken to its foundations. All the doors immediately flew open, and the chains of every prisoner fell off! The jailer woke up to see the prison doors wide open. He assumed the prisoners had escaped, so he drew his sword to kill himself. But Paul shouted to him, “Stop! Don’t kill yourself! We are all here!”

Acts 16:25-28

We are more than just servants, but friends.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.<sup> </sup>Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.<sup class="versenum"> </sup>Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

John 15:13-15
1 Peter 5:7 tells us to give all our worries to Jesus for God cares for us, and Matthew 28:10 tells us not to fear anything but the LORD himself for he is your refuge and salvation, and the book of Psalms and Proverbs tells us that the fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom.

Philippians 4 tells us to leave our worries and pray to God, and we will have peace that surpasses all understanding. It's true and its beautiful.

So have faith in Jesus Christ alone, believe and be saved.

nike.jpg

And don't forget this
However, as you do, try to consider what the word religion and relationship mean in as great a depth as you can of each; because you will find that Christianity, although a religion, is actually much more than just that. Christianity is a real relationship with God.

Hello Aristocrat and a warm welcome to the forums! It does a heart good to see a new believers enthusiasm for Christ! It's good for me to be reminded how wonderful our Savior is!

In addition to all the wonderful suggestions here, I saw you mention philosophy so after you finish the bible I would add Mere Christianity by CS Lewis.

Blessings!

Hello Aristocrat and welcome to the forum. Only advise I have for you is while reading the Bible, "believe what you read, don't read what you believe.":thumbsup

Aristocrat, after the four Gospel books comes the book of Acts. Acts 17 is where Paul explains God to the Athenian philosophers of the day, in contrast to other places in the New Testament where God is described to the Jewish people who had the Old Testament background.

This is a situation which reminds me of Philip and the man from Ethiopia in Acts 8:26-40 where not only reading the Bible but also the joy of understanding and practising(doing) what God says also has to be nurtured and honed as we grow in the image of Christ.
Philip focuses on this point of really understanding in verse 30"Do you understand what you are reading" .The Ethiopian Official takes a brave step in humility and regardless of his elavated status admits that he dose not understand. (Which a lot of pride filled people , myself included find very difficult). The Ethiopian Official rather than being a fool pretending to undrstand wisely says "How can I , he said , "unless someone explains it to me?" So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.

The point I am making is don't be shy in asking advice from loving forums such as this or look up commentaries in the local library or on the site and make your desicions ,as the Spirit guides you due to your unconditional faith in God though Jesus Christ.Congratulations on your wise choice in finding the purpose as to why God has placed you among us.:clap

It is glorious and it is epic and let us just say that many times our perceptions of the truth of Christian faith can be misled, can be deceived. The foundation for Christian faith is of GOD the heavenly father and his son and through his son lord JESUS, and the love of the divine and mankind.

Learn to get in the word, adopting it into your heart and let the seeds planted grow and mature, pray as JESUS the son of GOD taught us and pray for discernment. Let me remind you as a CHristian walking in faith you WILL be persecuted. The enemy is crafty so I would advise to.......

Ephesians 6:10-18

New International Version (NIV)

The Armor of God

<sup class="versenum">10 </sup>Finally, be strong in the Lord<sup class="crossreference" value='(A)'></sup> and in his mighty power.<sup class="crossreference" value='(B)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">11 </sup>Put on the full armor of God,<sup class="crossreference" value='(C)'></sup> so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. <sup class="versenum">12 </sup>For our struggle is not against flesh and blood,<sup class="crossreference" value='(D)'></sup> but against the rulers, against the authorities,<sup class="crossreference" value='(E)'></sup> against the powers<sup class="crossreference" value='(F)'></sup> of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.<sup class="crossreference" value='(G)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">13 </sup>Therefore put on the full armor of God,<sup class="crossreference" value='(H)'></sup> so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. <sup class="versenum">14 </sup>Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist,<sup class="crossreference" value='(I)'></sup> with the breastplate of righteousness in place,<sup class="crossreference" value='(J)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">15 </sup>and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.<sup class="crossreference" value='(K)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">16 </sup>In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith,<sup class="crossreference" value='(L)'></sup> with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.<sup class="crossreference" value='(M)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">17 </sup>Take the helmet of salvation<sup class="crossreference" value='(N)'></sup> and the sword of the Spirit,<sup class="crossreference" value='(O)'></sup> which is the word of God.<sup class="crossreference" value='(P)'></sup>
<sup class="versenum">18 </sup>And pray in the Spirit<sup class="crossreference" value='(Q)'></sup> on all occasions<sup class="crossreference" value='(R)'></sup> with all kinds of prayers and requests.<sup class="crossreference" value='(S)'></sup> With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying<sup class="crossreference" value='(T)'></sup> for all the Lord’s people

Learn what true love is a Christian and fight the good fight, stand and deliver, daily devotionals to reading the scriptures, and............

Proverbs 3:5-6

New International Version (NIV)

<sup class="versenum">5 </sup>Trust in the Lord<sup class="crossreference" value='(A)'></sup> with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
<sup class="versenum">6 </sup>in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths<sup class="crossreference" value='(B)'></sup> straight

Most importantly LOVE when the context of the meaning is defined and understood, and listening to wisdom; keeping close and never far.

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Back