Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Correct Interpretation/s

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Many don't believe the symbolic writings are symbolic.
Communion, for example.
We can't deny historical facts (and even some of those are not 100% certain as they are reported), but we seem to be very good at debating everything else.

Sometimes something is so clear to me that it makes me wonder how another Christian cannot understand it as I do.

the literal and/or obvious meaning must always be accepted unless reason or necessity dictate otherwise - which is not so say something can be literal and also symbolic i.e. Baptism, Communion etc [according to science matter is not material or physical but mental and/or spiritual] - as regards understanding why did Jesus speak in parables - twinc

the literal and/or obvious meaning must always be accepted unless reason or necessity dictate otherwise - which is not so say something can be literal and also symbolic i.e. Baptism, Communion etc [according to science matter is not material or physical but mental and/or spiritual] - as regards understanding why did Jesus speak in parables - twinc
Jesus spoke in parables for a couple of reasons. Maybe more that I can't think of right now.

He spoke in parables because people were familiar with the things he spoke about; planting, sheep, land, etc. They could understand what He was talking about and were free to put their own ideas into His parables. In a way, He gave out more information this way because a person could add to it.

He spoke in parables because he was safer from the authorities. If you remember, they always wanted to trick Him with questions that would get Him into trouble. By speaking in parables, He was just telling a story and nothing could be held against Him (by the Sanhedrin, for instance).

And lastly, and I believe the most important reason, is because He wanted people to really hear. Not just with their ears but with their heart. He wanted persons to make an effort to understand. So they had to listen and hear spiritually and they had to understand spiritually. If they could transfer the information He was giving to a spiritual level, then they were ready to enter into the Kingdom of God right here on earth. Those who did not really want to be a part of the Kingdom did not make the effort to understand.
John 6 comes to mind.
John 6:60
John 6:66

Yes. This is true. There are also different factions of Islam.
But within each "family" the same beliefs are upheld.
There are too many protestant denominations to say that it's the same.
churches split not only for big ideas, but also for little ones.
I believe it was Papa Zoom who said that we should not argue every little nuance. Some are just not worth it.
I agree. Maybe our egos get in the way and those that can just start their own church.

Sorry. I'm just thinking out loud.

Hinduism has many Gods, the nearest to Christ being depicted as Krishna - Christianity and Christ are safer and more secure than Noah and the Ark - btw a small/little flock and all that remains of true Christianity - twinc

Last edited:
Jesus spoke in parables for a couple of reasons. Maybe more that I can't think of right now.

He spoke in parables because people were familiar with the things he spoke about; planting, sheep, land, etc. They could understand what He was talking about and were free to put their own ideas into His parables. In a way, He gave out more information this way because a person could add to it.

He spoke in parables because he was safer from the authorities. If you remember, they always wanted to trick Him with questions that would get Him into trouble. By speaking in parables, He was just telling a story and nothing could be held against Him (by the Sanhedrin, for instance).

And lastly, and I believe the most important reason, is because He wanted people to really hear. Not just with their ears but with their heart. He wanted persons to make an effort to understand. So they had to listen and hear spiritually and they had to understand spiritually. If they could transfer the information He was giving to a spiritual level, then they were ready to enter into the Kingdom of God right here on earth. Those who did not really want to be a part of the Kingdom did not make the effort to understand.
John 6 comes to mind.
John 6:60
John 6:66

not really - how is it then Jn.6;60 & 66 come to mind and not Lk.8:9-10 - twinc

not really - how is it then Jn.6;60 & 66 come to mind and not Lk.8:9-10 - twinc
Well twinc
What comes to mind, comes to mind.
In John , I showed how some disciples abandoned Jesus because what he was saying was too difficult for them to accept. Not everyone continued to follow Jesus. Some did not have ears to hear.

Hello TwinC

It would be very nice if there were only one interpretation of all scripture. One church. Just like Jesus wanted.
1 Corinthians 1:10
Ephesians 4:3-6
and more...

I do wonder at times why the Hindu religion does not experience the same problem we do - division. Also Krishna, for that matter. He left much written and made everything very clear.

Why didn't Jesus do this? We are told that He came to set up a church and I sometimes wonder about this. Maybe He really came to give us a different way of living our life. The Kingdom way. Repent, for the Kingdom is at hand.
Mathew 3:2

Why didn't Jesus write anything down? I would assume that it's for the same reason that the other religions are different from Christianity. Jesus came not to write, but to die so that we might have life. Now and after. And so it is a life eternal.

When I want to learn something, I like to go back as far as possible close to the time that Jesus lived. I tend to trust those that came immediately after Him more than teachers of today, who do not seem to be able to agree on a lot.

I'd also like to say that Christianity began to change after Constantine declared it the religion of Rome. Too many changes have been made down through the years.

Perhaps if the original Apostles and writers of the New Testament knew that someone like John Calvin would be born one day, they WOULD have written everything very clearly.

It was clear for those times, but not for our times.
And so we have many interpretations.
The RCC has only one interpretation. But do you believe every priest believes the same doctrines??
What makes you think Hindus aren't at odds with each other?
Hari Krishna is only one sect, the biggest one.
They fight like cats and dogs.

Many don't believe the symbolic writings are symbolic.
Communion, for example.
We can't deny historical facts (and even some of those are not 100% certain as they are reported), but we seem to be very good at debating everything else.

Sometimes something is so clear to me that it makes me wonder how another Christian cannot understand it as I do.
If people don't agree with you, then they are stupid!

What makes you think Hindus aren't at odds with each other?
Hari Krishna is only one sect, the biggest one.
They fight like cats and dogs.
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of Protestant denominations and independent churches.
Does this bother you at all?

Back