Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

CS Lewis: Good Theologian or Inkling Witch?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Clive Staples Lewis (1898-1963) was a British academic, theologian and scholarly (Mi. 2.12) essayist, famed for his The Chronicles of Narnia, Screwtape Letters, Problem of Pain and other works. Children across the United States read these books, and many new evangelical pastors and seminarians glowingly recommend his books. It is an interesting day when Lewis in many arguable respects is more received than the law of perfect liberty. Isaias 34.16-7 says,
Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath gathered them. And he hath cast the lot for them, and his hand hath divided it unto them by line: they shall possess it for ever, from generation to generation shall they dwell therein.

A haunting thought came to fruition one day during this study: Why is a fable so very popular among many alleged right-of-center Christians containing sorcery and divination much like the New Age that is unscriptural and arcane? Why do evangelicals like a book praised by occultists in all varieties? Did not Paul as well as Peter condemn fables (I Tim. 1.4, 4.7; II Tim. 4.4; Titus 1.13-4; II Pe. 1.16), pronouncing them as a sign of the end times of men with instability and itchy ears for falsity?
After reading the above volumes by Lewis, I instantly noticed problems the likes any conservative Christian would object. The concept of the solae, Christ, faith, scripture, grace and God glorified unacompanied were indeed alien in all his works. In fact, ever the more startling was Lewis' mentors and propensity for magick. Here, here and here Jason Cooley documents Lewis' occultic fancies. Friends, parents especially, this is a significant matter as John commands believers, II Jn. 1.7-11, not to allow a man into our houses who abides in the doctrine of antichrist, lest we partake of his deeds. See also this brief volume by David Cloud, CS Lewis & Evangelicals Today.

Did Lewis believe in biblicism or sola scriptura, the infallability and inspiration of the sacred Bible, and dependence on it only? Did Absolutely not! Cloud notes on pages three to four,
THE INERRANT INSPIRATION OF SCRIPTURE is a fundamental of the faith, but Lewis denied it. In a letter to the editor of Christianity Today, Feb. 28, 1964, Dr. W. Wesley Shrader, First Baptist Church, Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, warned that “C.S. Lewis ... would never embrace the (literal- infallible) view of the Bible” (F.B.F. News Bulletin, Fundamental Baptist Fellowship, March 4, 1984).

THE HISTORICITY OF THE BIBLE is a fundamental of the faith, but Lewis denied it. He believed that Jonah and Job were not historical books. In his article “Modern eology and Biblical Criticism,” Lewis said: “... Jonah, a tale with as few even pretended historical attachments as Job, grotesque in incident and surely not without a distinct, though of course edifying, vein of typically Jewish humor” (“Modern eology and Biblical Criticism,” Christian Reections, edited by Walter Hooper, Eerdmans).

THE NECESSITY OF SUPERNATURAL CONVERSION THROUGH REPENTANCE AND FAITH IN CHRIST is a fundamental of the faith, but there is no evidence that Lewis experienced this. I have read several of his books, dozens of his articles, and several biographies about him, and I have never seen a clear teaching on the new birth or a clear biblical testimony that he was born again. Even Christianity Today said that Lewis believed in “baptismal regeneration.” This should be cause for the deepest concern. Lewis’ autobiography Surprised by Joy presents a very confused testimony of salvation. Lewis denitely experienced a mystical conversion of some sort and he changed from Atheist to Christian, but that in itself is not biblical regeneration. is has happened to many others, including Malcolm Muggeridge, who at the end of the day was committed to a false sacramental gospel (Roman Catholicism), which Paul identied as cursed of God (Galatians 1). In the Great Divorce, which is about salvation, heaven, and hell, Lewis does not mention the necessity of personal faith in Christ, the blood of Christ, or the new birth. It’s all about works and character.

What a blasphemy! The Psalmist said God's word is "the truth (Ps. 119.142), purified seven times to be divinely kept eternally (12.1-8) in the face of scorners.

How did Lewis find on creation?
THE LITERAL SIX-DAY CREATION is a fundamental of the faith, taught from one end of the Bible to the other and placed at the very heart of the gospel (e.g., the literal fall of man), but Lewis denied it. He believed in theistic evolution, calling the Bible’s creation account a “Hebrew folk tale.”

“[T]hat man is physically descended from animals, I have no objection ... For centuries God perfected the animal form which was to become the vehicle of humanity and the image of Himself ... The creature may have existed for ages in this state before it became man ... n the fullness of time, God caused to descend upon this organism ... a new kind of consciousness which could say ‘I’ and ‘me,’ ... which knew God ... [and] could make judgments of truth, beauty, and goodness” (Lewis, The Problem of Pain).
(CS Lewis & Evangelicals Today, pg. 8)

What did Lewis think aboth the eschatalogical doctrine of a firey furnace, a final place of judgement in the first (Topheth) and second (the lake of fire burning with brimstone that shall consume hell, Apoc. 19.21) deaths?
THE DOCTRINE OF AN ETERNAL, FIERY HELL is a fundamental of the faith, but Lewis denied it. He taught that hell is a state of mind:

“Hell is a state of mind--ye never said a truer word. And every state of mind, leto itself, every shutting up of the creature within the dungeon of its own mind--is, in the end, Hell” (Lewis, The Great Divorce, p. 65).
“If all Hell’s miseries together entered the consciousness of yon wee yellow bird on the bough there, they would be swallowed up without trace, as if one drop of ink had been dropped into that Great Ocean to which your terrestrial Pacic itself is only a molecule.”
(CS Lewis, pgs. 8-9)

Lewis denied also sola gratia (CS Lewis, pgs. 6-7) less sacraments. In no case should any traditional, orthodox bondservant of Immanuel quote Lewis except he betray orthodoxy for heterodoxy.

Last edited:
He was a good writer. He isn't so much a theologian--in fact, I believe he explicitly states he isn't--as he is a philosopher, and that is one reason why some may find things they don't agree with in his writings. His books are quite enjoyable.

How enjoyable is it to read a man who spent his life using witchery and stood against all that can be called orthodox Christian doctrine? Only someone in the flesh might enjoy Lewis, or perhaps one that ignores the tremendous issues in his works, like Christian Hedonist John Piper and Rob Bell, author of the universalist Love Wins?

How enjoyable is it to read a man who spent his life using witchery and stood against all that can be called orthodox Christian doctrine?
Claiming that Lewis "stood against all that can be called orthodox Christian doctrine" needs proof to substantiate it; a lot of proof. Until then it is conjecture, and a personal attack.

Only someone in the flesh might enjoy Lewis, or perhaps one that ignores the tremendous issues in his works, like Christian Hedonist John Piper and Rob Bell, author of the universalist Love Wins?
John Piper is great. I really enjoy Lewis and I'm not in the flesh. And we all have issues with our understanding, including you.

How enjoyable is it to read a man who spent his life using witchery and stood against all that can be called orthodox Christian doctrine? Only someone in the flesh might enjoy Lewis, or perhaps one that ignores the tremendous issues in his works, like Christian Hedonist John Piper and Rob Bell, author of the universalist Love Wins?

A bit of sola Scripture

Php_4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

A bit of sola Scripture

Php_4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Sister, if only there were good things upon which to think with CS Lewis. However, there is a time to sound an alarm (II Chron. 13.12; Joel 2.1-2), and it is a matter of blood. Twice God warned Ezechiel that if he did not warn the sinner or his brother (Ezek. 3, 33), God will require of that watchman the blood of those he failed to alert. How honest is a novelist who used the occult term refering to Satan Glorious One in The Last Battle, chapter fifteen,
Then I fell at his feet and thought, Surely this is the hour of death, for the Lion (who is worthy of all honour) will know that I have served Tash all my days and not him. Nevertheless, it is better to see the Lion and die than to be Tisroc of the world and live and not to have seen him. But the Glorious One bent down his golden head and touched my forehead with his tongue and said, Son, thou art welcome. But I said, Alas, Lord, I am no son of thine but the servant of Tash. He answered, CHILD, ALL THE SERVICE THOU HAST DONE TO TASH, I ACCOUNT AS SERVICE DONE TO ME. en by reason of my great desire for wisdom and understanding, I overcame my fear and questioned the Glorious One and said, Lord, is it then true, as the Ape said, that thou and Tash are one? e Lion growled so that the earth shook (but his wrath was not against me) and said, It is false. Not because he and I are one, but because we are opposites, I take to me the services which thou hast done to him. For I and he are of such different kinds that no service which is vile can be done to me, and none which is not vile can be done to him. erefore if any man swear by Tash and keep his oath for the oath's sake, it is by me that he has truly sworn, though he know it not, and it is I who reward him. And if any man do a cruelty in my name, then, though he says the name Aslan, it is Tash whom he serves and by Tash his deed is accepted. Dost thou understand, Child? I said, Lord, thou knowest how much I understand. But I said also (for the truth constrained me), Yet I have been seeking Tash all my days. Beloved, said the Glorious One, unless thy desire had been for me thou shouldst not have sought so long and so truly. For all and what they truly seek.
(CS Lewis, pg. 12). Cloud explains on this page,
In the popular Chronicles of Narnia series, which has had a great inuence on evangelicalism as a whole because of its popularity with children, Lewis taught that those who sincerely serve the devil (called Tash) are actually serving Christ (Aslan) and will eventually be accepted by God.

Claiming that Lewis "stood against all that can be called orthodox Christian doctrine" needs proof to substantiate it; a lot of proof. Until then it is conjecture, and a personal attack.

John Piper is great. I really enjoy Lewis and I'm not in the flesh. And we all have issues with our understanding, including you.

Sorry, oh High and Mighty. I did not know three hours of video with direct quotes from Lewis and those that influenced him were insufficent. There was a minor prophet in the Old Testament, Jehu, with a major message to foolish king Jehoshaphat. II Chronicles 19.2-3 "And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him, and said to king Jehoshaphat, Shouldest thou help the ungodly, and love them that hate the LORD? therefore is wrath upon thee from before the LORD. Nevertheless there are good things found in thee, in that thou hast taken away the groves out of the land, and hast prepared thine heart to seek God."

Again, Cloud quoted Lewis on the ninth page of CS Lewis & Evangelicals Today,
THE DOCTRINE OF THE FINALITY OF ONE’S DESTINY AT DEATH is a fundamental of the faith, but Lewis taught a second chance and the possibility of repentance beyond this life. is is the theme of e Great Divorce.

“Is judgment not final? Is there really a way out of Hell into Heaven? ‘It depends on the way ye’re using the words. If they leave that grey town behind it will not have been Hell. To any that leaves it, it is Purgatory. And perhaps ye had better not call this country Heaven. Not Deep Heaven, ye understand’” (The Great Divorce).

Here Lewis professed a belief in not only in pagan reincarnation (Heb. 9.27-29), but in the Roman purgatorial doctrine. No Christian has held to that doctrine outside the Babylonianism pervading Rome, and only recently have some apostate Protestants and Baptists take it up. What is more, Jesus said in Luke 16.25-6,
But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

Last edited:
Sorry, oh High and Mighty. .
Speaking as an Admin..... If you wish to post around here drop the 'know it all" "i am the only one with knowledge" attitude .
your opinions are no better then anyone else's ... Follow the rules and and the TOS ... if you choose to post..

Mark 9
"38 Now John answered Him, saying, “Teacher, we saw someone who does not follow us casting out demons in Your name, and we forbade him because he does not follow us.”

39 But Jesus said, “Do not forbid him, for no one who works a miracle in My name can soon afterward speak evil of Me. 40 For he who is not against us is on our side. 41 For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink in My name, because you belong to Christ, assuredly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward."

Mere Christianity is among my favorite books from my babe in Christ days. IMO, it should be required reading for everybody new to the faith. Such an attach on him seems over the top and sounds like propaganda. Just my opinion.

Brethren,

Infirmities have reared up again that shall require a small sabbatical. Also, there are several outstanding articles and two books to complete. Dr. John Suttles of Coweta Particular Baptist church near Newman, GA would like to publish them, and if one thing there is they do not do is author thenselves.
Grace be to you all in the Lord Jesus, in whose image we are made and strive to be like Him.

Christian "expositors" of all sorts have deployed various uses of metaphors, similitude, parables, even by drawing various analogies, to convey the Gospel.

So, we might ask, right or wrong in such expositions, what would Paul say to it?

And this IS where we should land:

Philippians 1:18
What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

I believe Paul made this statement, understanding that Christ is perhaps more apt and able than the messengers of same, who are all, "technically speaking," wrong to certain extents. No one sees Perfectly, therefore all are speaking from positions of technical partial sights. There is no Perfect in partial sight available to any expositor or in any exposition.

Were it so easy to craft Perfect.

CS Lewis has taught a lot of people a lot of great things about Christianity. I'm not 110% behind everything he wrote, but...he produced some high quality material. Mere Christianity is great, The Great Divorce is my personal favorite, and his writings on miracles is very impressive+persuasive.

I think Lewis adds a touch of elegance and sophistication to the work-a-day Christian's library. He was a great writer+philosopher, not so much a theologian.

I rather enjoy CS Lewis's writings.

I found his works awesome allegory. Even if Narnia wasn't actually an allegory according to him. Reading his works and other allegories by different authors had a huge impact on my faith in my teens. It's part of what led to my faith being as strong as it was and part of why it became something real to me rather than something I just grew up with. The allegories caused me to reflect upon truth and led me to God so that I developed a closer relationship with Him, and renewed my interest in reading Scripture.

If you think him a false teacher I won't argue with you as I doubt that will accomplish anything aside from frustration on both ends. I prefer to find common ground with others than let things divide us that have nothing to do with salvation.
Out of curiosity, are you an independent fundamental baptist? I grew up in that sub-denomination, you sound similar. (I'm not in it any longer.)

Last edited:
Sorry, oh High and Mighty. I did not know three hours of video with direct quotes from Lewis and those that influenced him were insufficent. There was a minor prophet in the Old Testament, Jehu, with a major message to foolish king Jehoshaphat. II Chronicles 19.2-3 "And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him, and said to king Jehoshaphat, Shouldest thou help the ungodly, and love them that hate the LORD? therefore is wrath upon thee from before the LORD. Nevertheless there are good things found in thee, in that thou hast taken away the groves out of the land, and hast prepared thine heart to seek God."

Again, Cloud quoted Lewis on the ninth page of CS Lewis & Evangelicals Today,

Here Lewis professed a belief in not only in pagan reincarnation (Heb. 9.27-29), but in the Roman purgatorial doctrine. No Christian has held to that doctrine outside the Babylonianism pervading Rome, and only recently have some apostate Protestants and Baptists take it up. What is more, Jesus said in Luke 16.25-6,
What, exactly, is the point of your smear campaign?
You're saying that he was a witch of some sort... do you even know what that means, I wonder...?

Questdriven,.
By his screen name, I believe that he is part of the Baptist stream which is highly Calvinist. Not IFB. The branch known as Particular Baptists are their own denomination.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back