Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Cutting Straight

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
High-Plains-Drifter450.jpg
A barber with a bad haircut. :lol

ouch WIP! wow.

I almost cut my left thumb off while de-boneing an elk a few years back while sharpening the knife. Holding the sharpener in my left hand on the edge of the table in the garage and pulling the blade down through it, but my left hand had fat on it, the blade caught on the sharpener, pulled it out of my hand, and the blade cut right down to the bone on the top of my left thumb, all in one fell swoop. Took 4 hours at the Dr. to sew the tendon at the top of the thumb back together. Was numb across the top for years after til the nerves healed. Drove myself to the Dr.-blood all over.
I hate when that happens.

OK.
Guys, ever used a straight razor?
What do you like about them?
Dislikes?
Back in my chef days I knew a lot about knife edges and was better than most at putting on a fine pilished edge on my knives....and yes they would shave.
Still got the steady hands it takes to put a new edge on one too...so since I only shave once a week I was thinking about getting one.
Obviously concentration is key when sharpening or shaving.

Do the brushes help?
Special soap for lather?
Want to share your experience?
Aww, man. I clicked on this thread hoping for some practical life wisdom about always cutting straight, cutting against the grain, and it ended up being about razors. Baloney!

ouch WIP! wow.

I almost cut my left thumb off while de-boneing an elk a few years back while sharpening the knife. Holding the sharpener in my left hand on the edge of the table in the garage and pulling the blade down through it, but my left hand had fat on it, the blade caught on the sharpener, pulled it out of my hand, and the blade cut right down to the bone on the top of my left thumb, all in one fell swoop. Took 4 hours at the Dr. to sew the tendon at the top of the thumb back together. Was numb across the top for years after til the nerves healed. Drove myself to the Dr.-blood all over.
Ouuuucccchhh. I nearly cut off my left index fingertip. It was just hangin' there as I drove to the ER. I did it in the dumbest way possible. I tried to cut open a packaged chicken breast with a knife that had no point, but a serrated edge. A bread knife. "Just try to push it through and let the edge do it's job" I said. It slid right down to my finger. The edge did it's job.

Industrial packaging equipment. I was a designer for almost 20 years but two years ago took a new position so I'm no longer designing electrical circuits or writing PLC, HMI, or servo programs.

It is because of my experience that when the nurse asked me if it was a work related injury I replied, "No, it was a stupidity related injury!"
Installing conveyors and then the pallet wrappers are usually good jobs. Sure, zip tying the photo eyes cables are a pain but it ain't too bad. Repair is another thing though. Transmissions must match motors....not as easy to accomplish as you would think.
Good deal.

Aww, man. I clicked on this thread hoping for some practical life wisdom about always cutting straight, cutting against the grain, and it ended up being about razors. Baloney!

You didn't know?
Men get a "man card" when you use a straight razor.
Now this man card must be protected at all times. You get demerits on it if you watch movies like Steel Magnolias or Princess Bride or do anything rather girly or sissy...like wearing lace underwear or your boxers inside out due to the seams chaffing you.

:biggrin

Princess Bride?! Ted Cruz just lost points off his man card!

Thanks for the laugh this morning.

I use chainsaws
Done that too. I worked in the logging industry for about six years and got so accustomed to the heavier saws that we used that one day while using my dad's small lightweight saw I cut the back of my hand. I was using the saw one-handed while holding wood with the other and it grabbed and jumped onto my left hand. Ended up with six stitches that time.

Another incident was while felling trees for a skidder I cut my leg requiring 17 stitches to repair. I had done everything right. I cut my escape route, cut the tree, and immediately began to back away as it was falling. The top of the tree caught another and the butt lifted up and swung right at me. I backed up faster trying to get away from it and backed into another tree. The saw chain was still winding down and the sudden stop caused the saw to drop against my leg. I didn't even know that I had been cut except that I tore my pants. I continued working and when the skidder operator came by he asked what I did to my leg. When I looked down I saw blood.

Maybe I should stay away from sharp objects.

The guards are great but there was a time when they didn't exist. I remember a time when I was felling for a skidder and while delimbing and topping off a load I noticed a small maple tree that had been caught and dragged into an arch. I made the near fatal mistake of cutting the maple in the middle of the arch instead of cutting it at ground level. The instant I touched the bark of that maple it split and threw the saw back at me knocking off my hard hat. When I picked it up I found a 1" deep gash in the brim of the hat. I came that close to having that chain in my forehead. The skidder operator chewed me up one side and down the other and then showed me the scar he had that ran from just below his eye, down his cheek, and through his neck to his collar. He got that scar by making the same mistake and came within about 1/4" of his jugular vein and losing his life. He said it took hours of surgery, 140 stitches on the outside, and 86 stitches inside to repair. Chainsaws can be dangerous if not handled properly and with great respect.

The guards are great but there was a time when they didn't exist. I remember a time when I was felling for a skidder and while delimbing and topping off a load I noticed a small maple tree that had been caught and dragged into an arch. I made the near fatal mistake of cutting the maple in the middle of the arch instead of cutting it at ground level. The instant I touched the bark of that maple it split and threw the saw back at me knocking off my hard hat. When I picked it up I found a 1" deep gash in the brim of the hat. I came that close to having that chain in my forehead. The skidder operator chewed me up one side and down the other and then showed me the scar he had that ran from just below his eye, down his cheek, and through his neck to his collar. He got that scar by making the same mistake and came within about 1/4" of his jugular vein and losing his life. He said it took hours of surgery, 140 stitches on the outside, and 86 stitches inside to repair. Chainsaws can be dangerous if not handled properly and with great respect.
I have some photos to take of what I used mine for.power line poles are hard on chain saws

Ever since I watched a couple of episodes of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy a few years ago and saw how they totally obsessed about shaving and their hair, I try not to get that far into it.

Just to report...
My son got me a straight razor for Christmas. One for beginner's. One that takes disposable blades. (I really can appreciate it... Not that I can't sharpen one)

It's a harrowing experience as I've used safety razors all my life. I'm going to need practice... Just am.
I got one good nick on my cheek. I'm going to try again in a few days when I get home and in my own bathroom. Use my regular shaving cream and mirror.
Might have to upgrade in a few months too...dunno yet. But I see why most come with a Man Card.

Edited to add...I really understand why a guy would get someone else to do this for them.

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back