Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

D&D anyone?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I still sit in on a friend's game a few times a month.

Mostly I'm running my own games. While neither is a D&D game, both use the D20 system that D&D uses.

Currently I'm running a Conan D20 game and an Iron Guantlets game.

Scott said:
Just out of curiousity, what exactly do you do when playing D&D?
Well, basically we sit around a table and talk.

:lol: , thats it!? Truthfully I really don't know much about it all. I've heard the word roleplaying thrown around a lot, and I've seen satires of character/player conflicts on occasion. Is there a predominent age group that plays?

Wizards of the Coast (the publishing company of the D&D rulebooks) puts it like this:

What is Dungeons and Dragons

D&D is an imaginative, social experience that engages players in a rich fantasy world filled with larger-than-life heroes, deadly monsters, and diverse settings. As a hobby game, D&D is an ongoing activity to which players might devote hours of their timeâ€â€much like a weekly poker gameâ€â€getting together with friends on a regular basis for weeks, months, or even years.

Players create heroic fantasy characters -- mighty warriors, stealthy rogues, or powerful wizards -- which they guide through an ongoing series of adventures, working together to defeat monsters and other challenges and growing in power, glory, and achievement. The game offers endless possibilities and a multitude of choices . . . more choices than even the most sophisticated computer game, because you can do whatever you can imagine!

What is a roleplaying game?

The D&D game (as a roleplaying game) is a fantasy game of your imagination. It's part acting, part storytelling, part social interaction, part war game, and part dice rolling. You and your friends create characters that develop and grow with each adventure they complete. One player is the Dungeon Master (DM). The DM controls the monsters and enemies, narrates the action, referees the game, and sets up the adventure. Together, the Dungeon Master and the players make the game come alive.

----------

The rest of the that article can be found at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/whatisdnd

Scott said:
:lol: , thats it!? Truthfully I really don't know much about it all. I've heard the word roleplaying thrown around a lot, and I've seen satires of character/player conflicts on occasion. Is there a predominent age group that plays?
I'd wager that most players are between 13 and 25 but I know many who are outside that range.

Scott said:

My favorite of such satires is "8-Bit D&D". It's a flash animation rendition of a skit that mocks somewhat the idea of people thinking that D&D is leading youth into the occult. It depicts a group of gamers sitting down to play. It's tragically accurate, especially with regards to Cheetos and Mountain Dew. I know people who do that... heck, I've done it *laughs*

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=90046 (click WATCH THIS MOVIE!)

Note: The clip is about 5 min long and is rated as having "mild adult themes". This is based on a single, brief sexual allusion, and a guy repeatedly asking if his character is getting drunk. It's funny and has no foul language, I just wouldn't show it to a 4 yr old.

Eskarina said:
Scott said:
I'd wager that most players are between 13 and 25 but I know many who are outside that range.
I can tell you that there is a wide range as far as the age of players goes.

In my games the youngest player is 27 and the oldest is 45. The majority of players that I deal with are between their early 30's and mid 40's.
Now, a lot of players will start out in either middle or high school. For obvious reasons those are teenagers.
I've also run into players who were taught to play by their parents. These "second generation players" can be as young as 7 or 8.

I've also witnessed convention games where a single group of players have ranged from early teens up to players in their 60's.

The only real limit on the age of a player is their ability to understand the rules.

Khaine said:
Eskarina said:
Scott said:
I can tell you that there is a wide range as far as the age of players goes.

In my games the youngest player is 27 and the oldest is 45. The majority of players that I deal with are between their early 30's and mid 40's.
Now, a lot of players will start out in either middle or high school. For obvious reasons those are teenagers.
I've also run into players who were taught to play by their parents. These "second generation players" can be as young as 7 or 8.

I've also witnessed convention games where a single group of players have ranged from early teens up to players in their 60's.

The only real limit on the age of a player is their ability to understand the rules.

Yeah, it's an awesome game like that *grins*.

You forgot about the bathing in the blood of children, and dancing in the nudd.

It certainly can't hurt to get all sides of a story, can it CB?

I played a demo on the site Eskarina gave me links to. It seems like a fantasy game that is long and drawn out. The Dungeon Master definitely gets to hone up on their reading skills which isn't a bad thing. I know I only played a small portion of the game, but I really don't have anything negative to say about it. I'll just say its probably not my cup-a-tea because the amount of time it probably takes to make progress in the game. But hey, thats just me.

Solo said:
Khaine said:
When you look at the religioustolerance site, make sure that you read their liberal ecumenical statement of faith.

Yeah, just absolutely evil horrible things. I mean, just check out this filth

We do believe:

In the inherent worth of every person. People are worthy of respect, support, and caring simply because they are human.
Respect people? Come on. Our steward of Chrisitianty, Solo, has taught us that we need to disrespect unbelievers and/or other believers who disagree with us---that is the only way to get through to them and is the 'Christian' thing to do.

In working towards a culture that is relatively free of discrimination on the basis of gender, race, sexual orientation, xenophobia, degree of ability, age, etc.
Another horrible statement--every good Christian needs to descriminate against others that are inferior to them. Isn't that what the gospel of Christ is all about--Lording it over the scum who aren't as perfect as we are?

In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment including the death penalty. 1
Give me a break. Bush says terrorists need tortured, so torturing is moral. We need to be pro-torture as Christans. And yay death penalty! Let's enforce it like the Israelites did! The more people put to death the better!

In the importance of democracy within religious, political and other structures.
Well, Bush seems to love Democracy, so shouldn't Christians? Oh wait, when it comes to religion, the majority is always wrong and the minority of fringe fundamentalists are right.

In the separation of church and state; and the freedoms of speech, association, and expression. 2
Horrible things. We need a theocracy giving us a state religion and forcing us to worship. That's what God wants us to do after all---force everyone to follow him.
That systems of truth in the field of morals, ethics, and religious belief are not absolute. They vary by culture, religion, and over time.
Yeah, moral truths are absolute. Just like in Biblical times, slavery is moral. I can't wait to buy me my first slave.

In the generally positive influence that most religions have had on their followers and on society. 3
Of yeah, religions have a horrible influence on people.

In the importance of individual believers determining evil influences and policies within their chosen faith group, and advocate for their correction.
Individuals have no ability to determine right from wrong. We have to be told what right and wrong is, mainly from self-righteous believers that know better than us.
In the importance of education. We believe that a person is not truly educated unless they have studied religion and its effect on society. Students need to learn about all major religions and ethical systems.
Give me a break. Everyone knows education is of the devil. Christians need to be as ignorant as possible.

Thank you Solo, such a great Brother, warning Christians of the evil beliefs of religioustolerance.org. Without you we might fall prey to such horrible evil subversive statements. You are such an amazing person.

cubedbee said:
Solo said:
Khaine said:
When you look at the religioustolerance site, make sure that you read their liberal ecumenical statement of faith.

Yeah, just absolutely evil horrible things. I mean, just check out this filth

We do believe:

In the inherent worth of every person. People are worthy of respect, support, and caring simply because they are human.
Respect people? Come on. Our steward of Chrisitianty, Solo, has taught us that we need to disrespect unbelievers and/or other believers who disagree with us---that is the only way to get through to them and is the 'Christian' thing to do.

[quote:be84a]In working towards a culture that is relatively free of discrimination on the basis of gender, race, sexual orientation, xenophobia, degree of ability, age, etc.
Another horrible statement--every good Christian needs to descriminate against others that are inferior to them. Isn't that what the gospel of Christ is all about--Lording it over the scum who aren't as perfect as we are?

In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment including the death penalty. 1
Give me a break. Bush says terrorists need tortured, so torturing is moral. We need to be pro-torture as Christans. And yay death penalty! Let's enforce it like the Israelites did! The more people put to death the better!

In the importance of democracy within religious, political and other structures.
Well, Bush seems to love Democracy, so shouldn't Christians? Oh wait, when it comes to religion, the majority is always wrong and the minority of fringe fundamentalists are right.

In the separation of church and state; and the freedoms of speech, association, and expression. 2
Horrible things. We need a theocracy giving us a state religion and forcing us to worship. That's what God wants us to do after all---force everyone to follow him.
That systems of truth in the field of morals, ethics, and religious belief are not absolute. They vary by culture, religion, and over time.
Yeah, moral truths are absolute. Just like in Biblical times, slavery is moral. I can't wait to buy me my first slave.

In the generally positive influence that most religions have had on their followers and on society. 3
Of yeah, religions have a horrible influence on people.

In the importance of individual believers determining evil influences and policies within their chosen faith group, and advocate for their correction.
Individuals have no ability to determine right from wrong. We have to be told what right and wrong is, mainly from self-righteous believers that know better than us.
In the importance of education. We believe that a person is not truly educated unless they have studied religion and its effect on society. Students need to learn about all major religions and ethical systems.
Give me a break. Everyone knows education is of the devil. Christians need to be as ignorant as possible.

Thank you Solo, such a great Brother, warning Christians of the evil beliefs of religioustolerance.org. Without you we might fall prey to such horrible evil subversive statements. You are such an amazing person.[/quote:be84a]
And where did I say that the statement of faith was evil and filth? You have placed words in my mouth again dear liberal friend.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back