Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Damage done by use of logical fallacies

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
In the example given Oz 'assumes' they had not been talking about Joan's husband John all along but wihout context that is/can be a false assumption.

civil,

Please go back to #5 and get the facts straight. John was not Joan's husband in the example I gave.

Oz

Having read this thread i see the whole of this as thought control... think like me or your not being logical .. We have a world full of 'snowflakes' .
Sure it is subjective OzSpen , you made that point clear with your example of the 2 women..

Well at least I tried. :mouthdrop

If a person isn't familiar with logical fallacies, pointing them out will do little good. That said, they are a problem in most discussions. Communication is like that; you have to work around the rough spots.

Yup you tired. This person hopefully will never think like you do... When some one sees something different than you do, IMO, you label their thoughts as in some form as illogical or a red herring and dismiss it.. giving no account to your own thoughts as you did in your example of the 2 women..
Thank you for the lesson in liberal thinking .. been interesting

civil,

No, it's not a subjective perspective but an error of logic. When any tactic, intentional or non-intentional, is used to divert attention away from providing evidence in support of a statement, it is fallacious reasoning. It is not logical. Logic has nothing to do with subjective perspectives but with whether we want to be logical or garbled in our conversations.

Oz
Of course it is subjective; it is influenced by many things outside of us. That is why there is so much misunderstanding between countries and cultures and even individuals. Logic and reasoning do not stand as isolated pillars they are directly influenced by our environment, what we are taught to believe, etc. Your claim to the contrary is, in itself, a logical fallacy......

If a person isn't familiar with logical fallacies, pointing them out will do little good. That said, they are a problem in most discussions. Communication is like that; you have to work around the rough spots.

Papa,

I had hoped this thread would be an educative process to help people become more familiar with logical fallacies. It failed. :wave

Oz

That is one of my points; without the context of what they were discussing it can be read that way.....

No, civil. You made an error in what you stated about the content of #5. Why can't you admit it when you got it wrong?

Oz

reba,

That's an inflammatory statement and a false view of my thinking.

Oz
you believe my view of your words is false ... that is because the case to the contrary has not been made . Why is my understanding of what your words say to me inflammatory? Back a few post you asked me to be honest i am ..
Seem i remember from high school it being on the speaker to make him self clear.

In simple english JLB what is he saying?

Logical Fallacies.

They range from attacking the person, rather than addressing the actual topic the person presents, to making up lies about what the person said, rather than addressing the actual point the person is conveying.

Example:

Donald Trump: Let's make America great again, and secure our Borders.
Media: Donald Trump is a racist and a Bigot.

Donald Trump: Let's make America great again, by bringing back Jobs to the U.S.
Media: Donald Trump is a racist and a Bigot.

JLB

you believe my view of your words is false ... that is because the case to the contrary has not been made . Why is my understanding of what your words say to me inflammatory? Back a few post you asked me to be honest i am ..
Seem i remember from high school it being on the speaker to make him self clear.

Your statement about me in #64, 'Thank you for the lesson in liberal thinking', was flaming me.

Papa,

I had hoped this thread would be an educative process to help people become more familiar with logical fallacies. It failed. :wave

Oz
One has to have an interest in them I suppose. Some fallacies are mind benders. They don't make sense at first glance. Personally I like learning about them but some aren't easy to understand.

If a person isn't familiar with logical fallacies, pointing them out will do little good.
And lot's of harm sometimes (Disclaimer: not just with women.

I said to my wife; "you are not thinking analytically but emotionally" one to many times. Never again.

She taught me not to be to 'hasty with my generalization' of her thinking, really quick.

One has to have an interest in them I suppose. Some fallacies are mind benders. They don't make sense at first glance. Personally I like learning about them but some aren't easy to understand.

I agree, but most of the common ones used on this forum are fairly easy to understand if one has a basic understanding of the English language. However, illogical language, as Jim Parker has stated, amounts to gibberish. We can't understand sentences without accurate logic. Logical fallacies fly in the face of logic.

Many do not have or want to have an understanding of logical fallacies as this thread has demonstrated.

Oz

I agree, but most of the common ones used on this forum are fairly easy to understand if one has a basic understanding of the English language. However, illogical language, as Jim Parker has stated, amounts to gibberish. We can't understand sentences without accurate logic. Logical fallacies fly in the face of logic.

Many do not have or want to have an understanding of logical fallacies as this thread has demonstrated.

Oz
Take it from me peeps, we'd all do well to learn a thing or two about logical fallacies. AND we'd all do well to cut others slack when they fall short in this area. Discussions aren't competitions.

Back