Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Dating: Thoughts on Christians and Non-Christians

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I have a Christian friend who dated a non-Christian. I am not sure if she is still a non-Christian, but he is a really nice person. He is humble and just relatively a good Christian. He said he wanted to show her the Christian way through his actions.

What do you all think of the old age question: Should a Christian date a non-Christian. I am interested in knowing what you think in regards to how you interpret The Bible.

I came across this article: http://www.fusion101.com/guide/dating_n ... stians.htm and am unsure of what they mean here:
5) The Bible tells us that few will enter the kingdom of heaven which is important because it follows that the number of potential partners available to us will be equally few. It is to be expected that meeting compatible people is difficult. What does this mean?

We should be equally yoked when engaging in relationships. At times I have personally thought it may just be better to date a non-Christian and they may be better off than a Christian woman. Because we should be equally yoked I will stay away from non-christian women for more than that reason alone and I will explain. I think a big important part is sharing that same faith and if one does not share the same as the other it may create conflict down the road possibly coming down to push and shove while one is trying to go to church and the other wont or things that are not christian to do and the other is doing it because of non christian beliefs it may create huge arguements or disgust between the couple. It can also be reversed where the non-christian is turning the christian around from their Godly ways. I think a big important part of finding someone equally yoked is to share that same faith where they can support you in that area and you support them. Its basically your partner in life to help eachother make it to the kingdom of heaven if you so must get married and many of us would like too.....including me. I am sure some relationships can work out between a couple who share completely different faiths, but I just do not want to take that chance personally. Many people are good people for whatever faith they have, but we should still seek after those who believe in the same as us. Its much like my old relationship, I think it sorta failed because of common interests. After the falling in love scene we soon found out we had no similar interests and it became boring for her to be around me. I was more active, she was more passive(i.e. reading a book staying away from physical activities). So yeah, I definitely believe we should find somebody equally yoked... I just cant take that chance on somebody pulling me away from God or end up getting divorced because she felt I was too pressuring on the subject of Faith. There are many ways to get somebody to come to know Christ,but dating one to help that is probably a real bad idea.

The short answer: no. I have experience in this area--the other person will only add a burden to you, since the person is NOT helping you live the faith and you have to carry all of it yourself. It causes more problems and the relationship is more divided.

I always like to fully understand what we mean by the words we us.

DATING ?
Do you mean a one off night out to see a movie.?
Do you mean a regular series of nights out to follow a lot of different interests?

I am probably a lot older than most on the forum, I am from a different culture than most (even if that is only from the UK). We will have slightly different understandings.

My first definition I would see no problem whether they are Christian or not. Dating them is one way of discovering them, and they discovering me.

My second definition is quite different. If it becomes a regular thing then it is extremely important. I have perhaps found out that she is not a Christian, then the relationship should end there. Remain friends but allowing it to develop further would be detremental to my own faith.

Examine your own motives. Are they rooted in Christ or sexual desire?

Furthermore, if you aren't thinking of possible marriage, then you shouldn't date or court the person.
And you have to think about all the problems with marriage: do you have the same beliefs? What will you teach your children--his or hers? Do you feel the same about religion and God? Do you have the same opinions on abortion? Contraception? Divorce? What about the roles of women and men? Cultural differences? These things all are things that matter in a marriage, for once the initial flush of emotions fades away, this is all you're left with--feelings of love aren't enough for a marriage. It has to be between two compatible people--marriage is hard enough as it is without being unequally yoked on top of it!
So I would definitely caution AGAINST dating or courting someone outside your faith.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back