Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

"Daytona - GOMORRAH??"

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

destiny

"Daytona - GOMORRAH??"
-Jesse Morrell.
[ http://www.openairoutreach.com ]

The sight at Daytona Beach was one of the most horrific sights I
have ever seen in my life. I felt as though we were swimming through
a filthy sewer. The hellishness was horrifying. Girls were walking
around almost entirely exposed while some in their cars were
actually exposed. Everywhere you turned you saw men walking up
to girls who were complete strangers and molesting them without
any resistance. We tried to preach and use the 'money' way but
men were so focused in on their drunkenness and fornication that
we couldn't get or keep their attention that way. Trivia questions
couldn't compete with the alcohol and women. We became just
the buzzing of a bee in a jungle of animals. We couldn't preach
the way we normally do in a park or in a pulpit because they were
so blinded and in such a deep sleep, comfortable in their sin!!

Walking the streets watching men with cameras (putting them in
unspeakable places) and seeing women with almost no clothing
stirred up righteous anger inside of many of us. Many of us got to
the point where we realized that if we were ever going to get their
attention and get God's Word to them then we needed to shout
out a wake-up call and thunder the word of God.

To start if off I stood next to a crowd of maybe 10 guys all on 1 girl
and preached "You dogs! You adulterers and adulteress, the wages
of sin is death! Etc etc." In a short period they completely dispersed,
the girl going one way and the guys going another. I thought that
maybe she was saved from being gang raped, getting pregnant, or
getting or giving Aids.

Shortly after that I preached to the guys walking past on the side-
walks. Right away a drunkard was walking by and heard what I
said, he spewed out, "Don't tell me you have never taken a 14 year
old girl into the bushes and raped her. Don't try to tell me you
have never done that!!?" I could not believe what I was hearing. I
was absolutely appalled and disgusted. I told him that through
Jesus Christ he could be forgiven but that the wicked shall be cast into hell.

Two brothers named Doug and Shawn came with me to find a place
for open-air. There was a street corner that had lines of guys waiting
for girls to walk. When girls would walk by all the men would close
in on them and molest them. I got so angry at sin and the devil that
I started preaching right next to them: "REPENT!!! Fornicators and
adulterers God will judge. (Heb 13:4). You guys aren't men! Look at
you! You guys are dogs! (Rev 22:15). Women put your clothes on!!!
Men put your cameras down!!! Drunkards pour out your alcohol!!!
Turn to God and live. Unless you repent you will perish! Why are
there thousands of people out here today to sin? The wages of sin
is death. Turn to God and live!!" Most of the men started to split
when we publicly called them to repent of their blatantly obvious
wickedness!

We received many vicious hecklers. Doug and I stood back to back
like a dueling duo. Back to back I preached down one way and he
the other, calling some of the hardest sinners to repent. The
hecklers screamed, "I hate you! I _____ hate you! I?m going to beat
the ___ out of you." While we would respond "God bless you. We
love you guys. You can go ahead and beat us, but we want you to
know that unless you repent you're going to perish in the fires of hell
for all eternity." We got to know what it means to love those who
hate us and to bless those who curse us. One heckler tried to force
me to drink his alcohol, but no one got violent and the cops even
informed us that it was absolutely OK for us to preach.

Holdings our Bibles high we walked the streets preaching repent-
ance and declaring the judgment of God, I felt the Spirit of God. I
don't even want to think about the amount of women who were raped
or impregnated or woke up with Aids. It was much like Sodom and
Gomorrah. In those cities hordes of men roamed the streets to find
a man to rape. This day hordes of men roamed the streets to find
women to molest and rape. I warned the women about the men and
also warned the men about the women. I preached out of Proverbs 5
on the trap of immoral women. I had never seen so many "Scare
Face" t-shirts in my life. Scareface is a movie about a murderous
drug dealer thug. When we preached against their role-models of
ScareFace, Tupac, Biggy Smalls, (Tupac and Biggy both thugs
who were murdered) it brought quite a stir out of them.

Because there were thousands of people and we couldn't reach
them all, I wish I still had my PS 7:11 "God is angry with the wicked
every day" easel display which was stolen when my car was stolen.
Though some will not read a tract or listen to open-air preaching,
they will read a scripture on a display and that is a seed planted.

Thousands upon thousands were arrogantly and boastfully marching
into the flames of hell. I wanted to cry. Re 21:8 "But the fearful, and
unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers,
and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the
lake which burns with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."
The preaching was intense. Though we did preach grace, it was very
little. We shared very little about the cross and Jesus Christ because
they would have taken his blood and trampled it under their feet, we
would have been casting our pearls among pigs. Had they humbled
themselves and cried out "what must I do to be saved?" we would
have told them. But until they tremble at the thundering of God's
Law, they aren't ready for it.

There were countless stories about this one day alone, with salvation
stories as well. I had the privilege of praying with one man who
wanted to be saved. Around 5 o'clock we all headed back to the hotel
for the graduation ceremony....

This was it. The boot camp was over, the army had been trained;
now it was time to take the fire back home to win the lost to Christ.

What the ____ ? :o

Where were the police? Why didn't they intervene?

Why is that allowed to go on without people being arrested for indecent public behavior? Aren't there any state or city ordinances against public orgies? those people were in one huge orgy! Swinging, fornicating orgies!

And to think..... Ned Bush is the Governor of Florida!

Someone needs to step in and take some political action against these whoremongers in Daytona!

Seems it's been getting worse and worse every year!

Tell me why is this allowed to go on? :x

The reason is that spring break brings more money into dayton beach in 2 weeks than the entire rest of the year. Not that thats a legitimate excuse, but it is one they think is reasonable.

I'm also not certain that calling people dog's is going to be the most productive manner of evangelism. If you start calling people names, then you are just asking for a confrontation. Just think of what happens when these people go home, say they "had a great time, but there were these stupid Christians trying to ruin it by calling us names, how stupid are they." They were saying disturbing things to get under the skin of who they thought were dumb Christians.

Before I came to Christ I did very similar things, I would tell Christians sick things just to bother them if they tried to publically evangelize me or if the started calling me names I would do the same things back.
What I believe is the better way to evangelize is to talk to and start a relationship with people around you, and who you can take a personal interest in. I'm not saying it can't happen in large groups, but you must be extremely careful you don't turn people from the faith because you became overzealous and angered by their sin. They don't know Christ, so they don't know they are sinning. And people don't listen when you start without knowing them, but immediately judging them.

Sorry, but this is one of my soap box topics that really irritates me about some Christian "evangelism" that actually turns into judging strangers.

Just think of what happens when these people go home, say they "had a great time, but there were these stupid Christians trying to ruin it by calling us names, how stupid are they." They were saying disturbing things to get under the skin of who they thought were dumb Christians.
How can you be sure these men weren't led by God to preach repentance to those people? How can you be sure someone isn't haunted by those convicting words?
but you must be extremely careful you don't turn people from the faith because you became overzealous and angered by their sin.
Jesus, the old testament prophets, John the Baptist, and the disciples all were confrontational at times, and became angered by sin. In fact all the true prophets were probably killed for similar reasons. This type of situation would probably merit some righteous idignation.

Sorry, but this is one of my soap box topics that really irritates me about some Christian "evangelism" that actually turns into judging strangers.
So after hearing what the street preachers described, you think they were being too judgmental?

I wonder if Bike Week, in the story below, is the same as the Spring Break story that is mentioned in the above post?

I wonder if this church, which this article is about, is doing anything about the whoredom on Daytona Beach during the Spring Break, when all those college kids pack together to have their whoredom orgies?
I went to their web site and didn't fid any mention of such wild parties on the Daytona Beach. So I'm wondering what is the real scoop. :-?

----------------------------------------------------

Church of the week
Spring Break: Bikers, Bibles, and the Florida Sunshine
By Barbara Cornick and Pete Bustetter
The 700 Club

February 7, 2005

bikerguy_MD.jpg

CBN.com – If you ride a “hog†or a “street bike,†then you are a part of America’s fastest growing hobby -- motorcycling. This week thousands of people are putting on a leather jacket and hitting the open road for Daytona Beach, Fla., for Bike Week. While there, they might get more then just a suntan.

Bike Week in Daytona, Fla., is the place where chrome, tattoos, and leather rule. It’s billed as one of the largest bike events in the United States, the place to be seen and heard.

But it's certainly not a place where you’d expect to a see a biker with a hand puppet sharing the gospel or a table stacked with free Bibles. For Wheels of Faith ,a group of bikers from Orlando, Fla., a black leather jacket and a black leather Bible go together just fine.

Wheels of Faith Motorcycle Ministry and Riding Fellowship started at Faith Assembly of God of Orlando, Fla. Members get together and ride as a “pack†for fun and fellowship. Wheels also travels to events like Bike Week to share the gospel.

Pastor Robb Hawks of Faith Assembly sees the mission of Wheels as a vital part of the church’s outreach to the community and beyond. Scott Bush, president of Wheels of Faith, shares that excitement. He knows that the sound of a motorcycle gets people’s attention, but a big smile helps win their hearts.

"We tell them about the ministry, we tell them about the church, and, ultimately, we tell them about the Lord," says Bush. "So we are impacting lives on a variety of different levels."

Wheels of Faith members are feeling the impact of the ministry, too. It’s taking their faith to the next level.

"I have always loved motorcycles," says one biker. "I have been riding for about 50 years. And He uses me now with the motorcycle to reach others for Him. "

Motorcycle ministries like Wheels of Faith are starting up all over the United States. So the next time you see a pack of motorcycles, give them a big smile and remember to wave.

http://www.wheelsoffaithmm.org

Faith Assembly of God
2008 North Goldenrod Road
Orlando, FL 32807
407-275-8790

How can you be sure these men weren't led by God to preach repentance to those people? How can you be sure someone isn't haunted by those convicting words?
I can't be, but I know when these things happened to me before I became a Christian I hated Christians for things like this.

but you must be extremely careful you don't turn people from the faith because you became overzealous and angered by their sin.

Jesus, the old testament prophets, John the Baptist, and the disciples all were confrontational at times, and became angered by sin. In fact all the true prophets were probably killed for similar reasons. This type of situation would probably merit some righteous idignation.

Yes, sin is angering I do agree. But in our culture you can usually do a better job by actually talking to these people rather than immediately judging them and calling them out. How about you help the people who are on the ground passed out from their drunkeness or protect the women who are being molested. Would these be good ways to show God's love and open up avenues for others to listen to the gospel? I just prefer these methods much more than someone on a corner calling people names and telling them they are going to hell unless they listen to them. Most of the time the prophets, and Jesus were angry at the jewish people, not so much at the gentiles who didn't even claim to know God. These people know nothing of God, so it is our job to tell them about God, not tell them about how evil they are. If they come to know God, then that is the only time they will realize how truly evil their hearts really are.

So after hearing what the street preachers described, you think they were being too judgmental?
I'm not judging them, I just said that they should be extremely careful in the manner in which they do this type of evangelism. It is not our job to make them Christians, it is our job to plant seeds and water the seeds so Christ may grow them. We want to make sure the seeds we plant are the love of God and knowledge of Christ's redemtive power. I truly think some people have what I just said in mind when doing public evangelism and I'm fine with that. But from the article it sounded like these people weren't showing the love of Christ as much as they were judging the actions of the people in Daytona beach.

Add:
I think it is a good idea to find common ground with people, show them the love of Christ by intentionally involving yourself with them by showing you care all the while sharing the gospel honestly and openly. I'm not saying that telling people they are in sin is wrong, it is the right thing to do but it isn't wise for it to be the first thing out of your mouth when evangelizing. If people don't hear about the love, then all they hear is the judgement.

But from the article it sounded like these people weren't showing the love of Christ as much as they were judging the actions of the people in Daytona beach.
I don't agree, I think sometimes there are situations that require a different approach, and I think these guys loved God enough to put themselves in a position to be mocked and misunderstood. I think strong rebuke is in order when there is widespread open sexual sin and depravation.

If they were called by God to do this, I'm not going to argue. But there are much better places to evangelize where the crowd will be much more receptive to the message. I don't know about this particular incident, but I have heard people say that they knew God was with them because people ridiculed them for their faith. At times this is absolutely true, and others the people are out looking to be a martyr. All I'm saying is people shouldn't go out acting like idiots calling people names and then getting reactions from people and calling themselves in God's will because they are being persicuted. Persicution for stupidity does not equal persicution for God, which is what happens many times.

If the rebuke is misunderstood what is the point of the rebuke? These people are not Christian, so they don't even understand the concept of sin and deprevation. Basically all they are hearing is that these Christians are saying that they are evil because they don't believe in the same things. That is why you must explain the entire concept of Christ's redemption and God's justice before the entire idea of sin even makes sense.

People called me evil because I did drugs, drank and had sex, but I thought they were just being bigots and hypocrites. I didn't understand what they were saying until someone sat down and explained Christ to me. Those people screaming sinner on the sidewalk just pushed me farther from Christ honestly.

All I'm saying is people shouldn't go out acting like idiots calling people names and then getting reactions from people and calling themselves in God's will because they are being persicuted. Persicution for stupidity does not equal persicution for God, which is what happens many times.
I didn't see that these guys were focusing the story on their persecution, mostly they were being descriptive in what they saw.
I sure wouldn't call those who are in my own camp 'idiots' or 'stupid', I hope I will always back a person of God, especially those out in the trenches until they can at least be proven guilty of wrong doing.
If the rebuke is misunderstood what is the point of the rebuke? These people are not Christian, so they don't even understand the concept of sin and deprevation. Basically all they are hearing is that these Christians are saying that they are evil because they don't believe in the same things.
Of course there will always be somebody who is going to misunderstand, but most can comprehend.
I agree that those people being rebuked weren't christian, but I don't agree that they can't comprehend the concept of sin because more than likely some of them were regular "church" attenders, and more than likely some were backslidden.
Yes, they did hear that they were evil and rightly so, judging from the description of everything that was going on.
People called me evil because I did drugs, drank and had sex, but I thought they were just being bigots and hypocrites. I didn't understand what they were saying until someone sat down and explained Christ to me.
Well I did the same things you did and those things did make me evil in the sight of God im sure, and if I sat under a message that convicted me for being evil I knew it was the truth without anyone having to explain Christ to me, thats why I avoided churches when I was unsaved.
Conviction doesn't feel good, it makes us have to see how evil we've become.
I saw a street preacher once who made me want to go crawl under a rock, the words pierced my heart and made me feel like crap....but I knew they were true no matter how much I didn't like what was being said, they made me have to think about more than how to gratify my flesh, if only for a little while.

Quote:
All I'm saying is people shouldn't go out acting like idiots calling people names and then getting reactions from people and calling themselves in God's will because they are being persicuted. Persicution for stupidity does not equal persicution for God, which is what happens many times.

I didn't see that these guys were focusing the story on their persecution, mostly they were being descriptive in what they saw.
I sure wouldn't call those who are in my own camp 'idiots' or 'stupid', I hope I will always back a person of God, especially those out in the trenches until they can at least be proven guilty of wrong doing.

I said this is what happens many times, and we must be careful not to do these things. I absolutely think Christians are complete idiots sometimes, I admit I have been one on occasion as has everyone. Doesn't mean I don't support them, I just want people to be a little bit wiser in their actions at times. I'm just reading this article and it sounds a bit fishy. I'm not even accusing them of anything, just saying that we must be careful of how we represent Christ.

Quote:
People called me evil because I did drugs, drank and had sex, but I thought they were just being bigots and hypocrites. I didn't understand what they were saying until someone sat down and explained Christ to me.

Well I did the same things you did and those things did make me evil in the sight of God im sure, and if I sat under a message that convicted me for being evil I knew it was the truth without anyone having to explain Christ to me, thats why I avoided churches when I was unsaved.
Conviction doesn't feel good, it makes us have to see how evil we've become.
I saw a street preacher once who made me want to go crawl under a rock, the words pierced my heart and made me feel like crap....but I knew they were true no matter how much I didn't like what was being said, they made me have to think about more than how to gratify my flesh, if only for a little while.
I was convicted of these things before I became a Christian, but my point is, I didn't and you probably didn't have any idea what to do about it. The street preachers who preached that we were going to hell usually didn't preach what to do about it. That is my absolute problem. If you preach "your going to hell" and don't mention Jesus then you are not evangelizing. That is what I experienced and thats how I saw Christians before I became close personal friends with some who were genuine and loving. That is what turned my opinion around, people showing me the love of Christ no matter where I had been or what I had done. Not someone telling me I'm going to hell.
When you tell a non-Christian to quit sinning it is like telling a drug addict to quit. It is extremely hard and really there is little upside to quitting if you have no reason to quit. If Jesus is present and you understand Him and his plan for salvation then there is immense reason to turn from sin. That is one of the reasons in 12 step programs there is a requirement to believe in a higher power or at least purpose in life, otherwise there is no point. Sinners are just like drug addicts, it isn't crack, cocaine, heroin, meth or alcohol, it is the simple fact that these sins fill something that is missing in their life, if only for a little while to make them feel better. This is why my heart goes out to them, I used to be in the same place.

I was convicted of these things before I became a Christian, but my point is, I didn't and you probably didn't have any idea what to do about it.
Oh yeah I did know what to do about it, in fact I promised God early in the beginning of my rebellion when He was convicting me that one day I would serve Him.
I also invited God to leave me alone while I sowed my wild oats, he left me alone to make many serious mistakes, but he also held me to my end of the bargain.

Knarfs, you and I have similar pasts as far as rebellion, yet totally different experiences concering our religious background, and thats just it, there were people like you there who this sort of evangelism wouldn't work for, but there were also people like me there who would be convicted under those circumstances.

That is true. I never stepped foot in a church until the age of 17. I never heard the gospel till 17 and never did meet a Christian I could stand till I was 17. So I really truly didn't know anything about God or Jesus. There are many people out there like I was and certain types of evangelism could push them away because they don't know anything. I wasn't in a rebellion as much as being utterly lost with no way out.

Thats why I think personal evangelism is a little better if possible. Not that public evangelism hasn't done some amazing things. But if you personally know someone you can figure out what they need to hear and what they need to know. This is of course difficult much of the time too.

All in all, I really don't care how people come to Christ as long as they are not lied to, tricked, not told the truth or pressured into it. Because these embarass Christ, Christians and the person who is brought in will probably have issues and leave the church anyway.

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO NOW??

First of all let me say, I'm a little suprised this was such a shock to you. It has been going on there for years. So how are you going to change your strategy for reaching these people? I will tell you that soapbox revival will only land you a spot as the crazy guy holding a "worlds comimg to its end" sign in a movie. Everyone of those people have hurts and needs and with the right approach can be reached. Calling them Drunkards Whoremongers is just going to inflame them. We live in a society where everyday in the news the liberal left is painting Christians as wacko barbarians that want to take your rights away. We do not want to prove them right. It is great that you have the desire to reach these people, and went there and witnessed. You ran into some barriers, what are you going to do differently from now on?

I was sad to see this information. My mother lives there at Daytona Beach.

Here is an email i got form a pastor friend of mine in deland Fl, about 30 min from DB, Fl.

Greetings to all.

FIRST. Yesterday in Daytona Beach we preached and distributed literature to
over 100,000 outside Daytona International Speedway. In 29 years of public
preaching this was the most hostile crowd I have seen. I can tell you that
several things are happening in this nation. Side bar -- if you are a
pastor or evangelist who never preaches to lost people unless they come and
sit in a church, you need to read what I am about to write because it is the
only way you will know it.
1. There is a general hatred for Jesus Christ and the preaching of the
gospel that did not exist in this land ten years ago.
2. For the most part, the police share this view and would rather remove
than protect preachers.
3. The opposition from professing Christians is as great as that from the
world.
4. The fact that most Christians and preachers are cowards who will not obey
the great commission makes those who do so look like nuts.

Yesterday we had another physical assault. One of our young men was walking
along a sidewalk handing out tracts. He was not preaching. He was simply
offering people literature. He was being followed by a pack of race
fanatics shouting at him in the most vile language imaginable and shouting
to the crowd not to take the literature. After a few minutes of this, one
of the pack struck our young man in the back with his fist. When our man
turned to see who had hit him he was sucker punched and received a bloody
nose for Jesus.

We had two other conflicts which seemed they would end in violence but did
not.

When will you go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature?
If we do not all obey the Lord there will soon be real persecution of
genuine Christians in this land.

If you watch tv and do not preach in public you think
1. Nascar fans are family oriented, laid back, country folk
2. There is a real movement for a return to Christian values in America
If you proclaim the gospel to the public you know
1. Nascar fans are bunch of foul-mouthed, near-naked, drunks. If that's
your crowd, don't justify them, repent and start living for Jesus
2. There is an almost total absence of Biblical Christianity in America

Pray for us as we preach to 200,000+ July 3 & 4

I have been to this church, they are not hateful, or any such like attitude.
I went out with them for the daytona 500 this febuary and was blessed to be a part of the gathering to preach the gospel.

The world is offended by anything that goes against the way they live. They would have been just as offended if hell was preached, Christ the only way was preached , or Christ died to save you and change your life...We dont need to be offensive but we need to let them know that God is offended!

Preacher Boy
http://www.inthestreets.org

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back