Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Debating with atheists? Should we?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Thas

Should we debate with atheists? Should we try to intellectually make them broaden there horizion? Or should we as it says somewhere in the bible (just somewhere) leave them if they cant be convinced? Is it a holy and biblical thing to do?

I think debating is useless if you're doing it in attempts to convert someone. In a debate usually the people involved are already convinced that they are right and are not planning on changing their mind anytime soon.
Plus, debates tend to bring out the worst in us. They can be frustrating, then we get angry and it becomes an argument. Not the best way to show the love of Christ...that said, there are of course people who can keep their cool in debates.

I think there is a verse that says something about trying to persuade someone twice and then letting it go. Or something like that. I'd love to know where the verse is and exactly what it says.

In the end, it's God and the Holy Spirit that draws someone, not our intellectual arguments.

P.S.
And I'm NOT saying we shouldn't try to match any arguments and/or attacks on Christianity. I'm all for Christian apologetics.
Plus, debates have their uses. They're good for learning other perspectives, and observing a debate between people who know their stuff can be a good learning tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should we debate with atheists? Should we try to intellectually make them broaden there horizion? Or should we as it says somewhere in the bible (just somewhere) leave them if they cant be convinced? Is it a holy and biblical thing to do?

Good question! I am new to this forum and joined to enhance my study of the Bible and join with fellow Christians. I have observed several "debates" with atheists and even posted with a few of them. When I first read their posts that they were here to learn and had good intentions soon saw that the intentions turned into arguments and did not see where they were attempting to listen to what Christians had to say. They have their mind made up and I scratch my head and wonder why they would even join a Christian forum? I would not think of going to an atheist den pretending I am there to learn...

I must say it has strengthened my faith and turn elsewhere in the forums and not listen to the silly debates about monkeys and atoms.

Thank you for the question, I was wondering myself...

BornAgain

1 John 5:10
NKJV

10 He who believes in the Son of God has the witness in himself; he who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed the testimony that God has given of His Son.

1 Timothy 6: 20,21
NKJV

Guard the Faith

20 O Timothy! Guard what was committed to your trust, avoiding the profane and idle babblings and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge— 21 by professing it some have strayed concerning the faith.

Grace be with you. Amen.

Note the word "knowledge". It also means "science". The original Greek is Gnosis, and here refers to those who claim to have knowledge and science that is a contradiction to God's word. The age of the Universe, the Big Bang Theory, Evolution, etc. These are the things most atheists use to refute belief in the Bible and God, yet here God tells us to expect this from unbelievers, and He's telling us such knowledge and science is false and contradictory. This has never been more clearly seen then today, with the findings of Quantum Mechanics and how we experience physical reality.
Still, this knowledge can be compelling to some, misleading them and deceiving them away from God.

Their are few, if any atheists you can truly have any debate with.
While they may appear to be open minded, they will always resort to criticizing what ever you say and you wind up in a circular argument leading no where. They have chosen to be unbelievers, so they will defend that choice.

Better to claim faith in Christ's Gift of Salvation, His Crucifiction, and Resurrection to them and let it go at that. Pray for their understanding and have faith.

JMHO.
Cheers

1 John 5:10
NKJV

10 He who believes in the Son of God has the witness in himself; he who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed the testimony that God has given of His Son.

1 Timothy 6: 20,21
NKJV

Guard the Faith

20 O Timothy! Guard what was committed to your trust, avoiding the profane and idle babblings and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge— 21 by professing it some have strayed concerning the faith.

Grace be with you. Amen.

Note the word "knowledge". It also means "science". The original Greek is Gnosis, and here refers to those who claim to have knowledge and science that is a contradiction to God's word. The age of the Universe, the Big Bang Theory, Evolution, etc. These are the things most atheists use to refute belief in the Bible and God, yet here God tells us to expect this from unbelievers, and He's telling us such knowledge and science is false and contradictory. This has never been more clearly seen then today, with the findings of Quantum Mechanics and how we experience physical reality.
Still, this knowledge can be compelling to some, misleading them and deceiving them away from God.

Their are few, if any atheists you can truly have any debate with.
While they may appear to be open minded, they will always resort to criticizing what ever you say and you wind up in a circular argument leading no where. They have chosen to be unbelievers, so they will defend that choice.

Better to claim faith in Christ's Gift of Salvation, His Crucifiction, and Resurrection to them and let it go at that. Pray for their understanding and have faith.

JMHO.
Cheers

Amen!

The example Jesus gave us is found here...and in Matt and Mark

Luk 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

Luk 4:8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Luk 4:12 And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Jesus did not use His own words but used only the written Word

The example Jesus gave us is found here...and in Matt and Mark

Luk 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

Luk 4:8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Luk 4:12 And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Jesus did not use His own words but used only the written Word

Agreed...

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Matt 7:13 (KJV)

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. Matt 7:14 (KJV)

I don't think we should or can convert anyone. I believe that is up to the Holy Spirit. There are times I will however get drawn in and when I realize it (albeit too late) I will try to back out.

Good question! I am new to this forum and joined to enhance my study of the Bible and join with fellow Christians. I have observed several "debates" with atheists and even posted with a few of them. When I first read their posts that they were here to learn and had good intentions soon saw that the intentions turned into arguments and did not see where they were attempting to listen to what Christians had to say. They have their mind made up and I scratch my head and wonder why they would even join a Christian forum? I would not think of going to an atheist den pretending I am there to learn...

I must say it has strengthened my faith and turn elsewhere in the forums and not listen to the silly debates about monkeys and atoms.

Thank you for the question, I was wondering myself...

BornAgain

Born Again:

It's experiencing the grace of God in Christ, that is the key, isn't it? With this, a whole new perspective is seen. The hymn says: '...the things of earth will grow strangely dim, In the light of His glory and grace.'

Blessings.

I think there is a verse that says something about trying to persuade someone twice and then letting it go. Or something like that. I'd love to know where the verse is and exactly what it says.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​“For God speaks, the first time in one way, the second time in another, though a person does not perceive it.†(Job 33:14)

“I have spoken once, but I cannot answer; twice, but I will say no more.†(Job 40:5)

“God has declared one principle; two principles I have heard: God is strong.†(Psalms 62:11)

It might be one of these verses in a different translation?

Matthew 16:23
NKJV

But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.â€

Here is the problem with your guy's mindset.

The reason why some of us come on here is to see if you can adress an argument, and if you have any answers for the questions we have. I see nothing wrong with debating, as long as it is not personal.

If you can address a problem to the askers satisfaction, you have given them a chance to think your way.

If you think arguments ( Civil ones) are a waste of time, think of the many people that Could be saved by you talking to them and dispelling the common problems.

If you do it or not, that is your choice.

The reason why some of us come on here is to see if you can adress an argument, and if you have any answers for the questions we have. I see nothing wrong with debating, as long as it is not personal.

You see, we have a problem with our mindset. Some people might come here to see if we can address an argument; you are not one of them. Your mind is completely made up that we have "a problem"; that is why it is not worth wasting our time.

I think some seem to forget the purpose of this site is not to provide a place for non-believers to come and debate the existence of God or to put down the tenets of our faith but to provide a place where Christians can grow in faith through fellowship, study, encouragement and inspiration and to offer non-Christians a place to ask questions they may have about our faith.

If non-believers are here to hear our views about certain things we are more than happy to try and answer the questions they may have. When non-believers begin to argue, debate, and attempt to refute what we believe and hold as truth they have crossed that virtual line in the sand. We have all agreed to the ToS.

2.1: This is a Christian site, therefore, any attempt to put down Christianity and the basic tenets of our Faith will be considered a hostile act. Please read: Statement of Faith

If you can address a problem to the askers satisfaction, you have given them a chance to think your way.

If you think arguments ( Civil ones) are a waste of time, think of the many people that Could be saved by you talking to them and dispelling the common problems.

If you do it or not, that is your choice.

Hello Atothetheist,
Jesus Christ came as a mortal man, lived a sinless life, yet became sin to absovle the sins of this world. He was Crucified, went to Hell, defeated death there, was resurrected and ascended to Heaven so that ALL who believe in Him have Eternal Life in the Kingdom of God rather than Eternal Death.

Is this a concept you can visualize accepting at some point in your life?

Also, how many unbelievers do you personally know who have become believers?

TIA for your response.

Cheers

Hello Atothetheist,
Jesus Christ came as a mortal man, lived a sinless life, yet became sin to absovle the sins of this world. He was Crucified, went to Hell, defeated death there, was resurrected and ascended to Heaven so that ALL who believe in Him have Eternal Life in the Kingdom of God rather than Eternal Death.

Is this a concept you can visualize accepting at some point in your life?

Also, how many unbelievers do you personally know who have become believers?

TIA for your response.

Cheers

Five, actually.

I was once a believer, so I do know that I did believe it at one point.

Thanks for the questions.

If was given proof that that Bible is from God, then, yes. I can believe it.

"If was given proof that that Bible is from God, then, yes. I can believe it".

If you were a believer, then you know belief in Christ comes through faith, and that through hearing the word of God.

You also should know that God provides us all the proof we need in all His creation. If you mean scientific proof, you should already know that is something God will not provide, and you should know God's reasons why.

Do you not converse with the five people you know ho have become believers? Why have they not been able to bring you back to your faith?

When you were a believer, was it by your own choosing, or just something you thought was expected of you?

Hope you do not mind these questions, but I'm trying to understand your "mindset".

Cheers

"If was given proof that that Bible is from God, then, yes. I can believe it".

If you were a believer, then you know belief in Christ comes through faith, and that through hearing the word of God.

You also should know that God provides us all the proof we need in all His creation. If you mean scientific proof, you should already know that is something God will not provide, and you should know God's reasons why.

Do you not converse with the five people you know ho have become believers? Why have they not been able to bring you back to your faith?

When you were a believer, was it by your own choosing, or just something you thought was expected of you?

Hope you do not mind these questions, but I'm trying to understand your "mindset".

Cheers
I don't have a faith.

I recognize that they have their reasons for believing, but I do ask them for evidence.

It was my own choice to have faith, nothing was expected of me.

Back