Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Defining Biblical Terms

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

JLB

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life
Supporter
I wanted to start a thread that deals with the definition of biblical terms; words or phrases used in the Bible.

I believe this is a much needed study so when we are discussing biblical doctrine we all understand the word and terms that the Bible authors are using, which may have a different meaning in the culture and time they were living, as well as the language they were speaking.

I believe it’s important to allow the context as well help us to define these often misunderstood terms used in the scripture.

It would be His disciples, who would be be sent as Apotles, and be responsible for establishing Church doctrine forever. Culture does not change the truth of Church doctrine.

As Jesus said - teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you;

And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.
Matthew 28:18-20

The first one is: Inherit the kingdom of God

Jesus used this phrase when teaching His disciples in His Olivet Discourse.

It refers to those who have their part, in the kingdom of God, on the Day of Judgement.

31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Matthew 25:31-34

• Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

Those on His left hand, who do not inherit the kingdom of God, will hear these words.

Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: Mathew 25:41

It’s very easy to understand from this context what inherit the kingdom means and when it takes place.

Paul used this term when writing to the Church. Here is one example.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-21

• those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

JLB

Tough one JLB
The scriptures tell us what the Kingdom of God is
Rom_14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

It refers to those who have their part, in the kingdom of God, on the Day of Judgement.
Reads to me like you are saying there is no righteousness peace and joy in the Holy Ghost tell the day of judgement

Tough one JLB
Rom_14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Reads to me like you are saying there is no righteousness peace and joy in the Holy Ghost tell the day of judgement

Sorry you take it that way.

I don’t see the the term “inherit the kingdom of God” in Romans 14:17

Tough one JLB

If we have the Spirit of Christ in us, then don’t we have the kingdom of God within us?

According to your post how can we have the Kingdom of God as Romans says if this not as you say the Day of Judgement

According to your post how can we have the Kingdom of God as Romans says if this not as you say the Day of Judgement

Again, Romans does not use the very specific phrase “inherit the kingdom”

The kingdom of God is eternal, and has always been.

That is different than a person inheriting God’s kingdom on Judgement Day, when we will be Judged according to our deeds, and either inherit the kingdom or not.

As I said, the context is what helps us define biblical terms and their meanings.

JLB

Rom_14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost

dirtfarmer here

The Church is not the kingdom of God, but it is the body of Christ.

The kingdom that was taken from Israel (ethnos - singular) during the time when Christ walked on the earth in his prepared body will, at the end of the times of the Gentiles( the rapture), be restored to Israel as a "kingdom of priest". It was this that is referenced in Matthew 28:16-20 and will usher in the earthly kingdom that was promised to Israel.

What is the Kingdom of God and when is it inherited

God’s Kingdom.

Where God is obeyed as King.

Where those who obey God as King dwell and the immoral do not.

• there shall by no means enter it anything that defiles, or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life.

And the nations of those who are saved shall walk in its light, and the kings of the earth bring their glory and honor into it. 25 Its gates shall not be shut at all by day (there shall be no night there). 26 And they shall bring the glory and the honor of the nations into it. 27 But there shall by no means enter it anything that defiles, or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life. Revelation 21:24-27

again

12 “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, theBeginning and the End, the First and the Last.”14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city. 15 But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie. Revelation 22:12-15

• But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.

JLB

What is the Kingdom of God and when is it inherited

It is inherited or not on the Day when Jesus returns to gather His people and Judge each one according to his deeds.

31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’ Matthew 2.5:31-36

• Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

Again

7 He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son. 8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” Revelation 21:7-8

• He who overcomes shall inherit all things,

• But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

Inherit - Strong's G2816 - klēronomeō

1. to receive a lot, receive by lot
    1. esp. to receive a part of an inheritance, receive as an inheritance, obtain by right of inheritance

2. to be an heir, to inherit
  2. to receive the portion assigned to one, receive an allotted portion, receive as one's own or as a possession

3. to become partaker of, to obtain

JLB

Last edited:
Luke 16:26 KJV
The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

Sheep and goats were external shadows (under the law) of things to come (in the kingdom). Shadows of inward thoughts and behaviors that became the real issues.
Ephesians 6:12 KJV
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

This Ephesians verse shows (IMHO) that the now apostles had inherited the kingdom (on a level).

They were not crossing Jordan to fight people and get grapes. They were after inward peace and joy after Pentecost provided power.

The kingdom of God now exists. The New Jerusalem is coming down.

Matthew 11:12 KJV
And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

Now here is a Matthew verse that time and context are needed in understanding:
Which kingdom?
Which time period?

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Revelation 22:15 what is meant by dogs please?

A derogatory term for an immoral person.

2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the mutilation! 3 For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh, Philippians 3:2-3

Dog - Strong’s 2965
  1. a dog

2. metaph. a man of impure mind, an impudent man

Surprisingly enough it is a term still used today, and refers to a man that will go around and have sex with just about anyone.

JLB

Back