Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Did Jesus go to hell between his death and resurrection?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Man himself is a spirit.

Man is made in the image of God.

God is a Spirit.

16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, Romans 8:16

All you can seem to say is, that doesn't prove anything.

Many scriptures have been given to you to show we have a spirit and are a spirit.

If you choose to believe man doesn't have a spirit or is not a spirit being, or that man lies unconscience in a grave at death, then you have chosen not to believe the scriptures.

JLB

Actually, it's the contrary. I've addressed the passages you've posted. You haven't addressed mine, they've been ignored. You claim that man is a spirit being but haven't shown a single passage that says man is a single being. I've already acknowledged that man has spirit in him and that it is God's. The spirit in the man is not the man.

There is no problem because in Matt 8:22 Jesus stated that the dead can exist in a live body. From Isa 2:22 we can see there are men with only their own breath in their nostrils who are of no esteem.

Sorry, I don't see how either of these make your point.

Gen 2:7 says it is a living soul that has a body, not just any soul.

It's not called a soul until it's living. However, if we follow your argument we'd have to say a dead soul is a body.

Gen 35:18 establishes that a soul departs the body rather than decays with it.

This hasn't been an issue

God is made a liar in Gen 2:17 if there is no such thing as spiritual death.
Or the passage can be understood differently than you are understanding it. The passage says nothing about a spirit why impose that idea onto it?

Adam did die in the day he ate from the tree of knowledge. The answer is in the way God reckons time. Adam lived 930 years. A day with the Lord is as a thousand years and a thousand years as a day. Adam didn't fulfill the thousand years but died short of it.

Butch said -

Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Your theory leads us to the conclusion that God's "soul" can sin?

The soul of man may belong to God, however it is still man's soul.

JLB

Your theory leads us to the conclusion that God's "soul" can sin?

The soul of man may belong to God, however it is still man's soul.

JLB

God doesn't have a soul He is spirit. The soul belongs to God it is in a man but it belongs to God. Man isn't a spirit and he doesn't have a soul inside of him, he is a soul.

If you want to make your case then please show me where in Scripture I can find the following, God formed a body from the dust and He breathed into it the breath of life and He made a spirit and He put that in the man and He made a soul and He put that in the man and man was created. Now, It doesn't have to be exactly like that but if you can't find that teaching in the Scriptures then you can't say the Bible teaches it. The most you can do is what you guys have done, that is to infer it. What I've posted is not in the Bible you won't find it. We have the creation of a man the dust of the earth and the breath/spirit of God. Those two became something else, a living soul. Ezekiel 37 give a description of the resurrection and contrary to what many Christians claim it isn't "THEIR" spirit that is reunited with the body it is God's spirit that is reunited with the body and the body again lives. It's just like we see in Genesis 2.

KJV Ezekiel 37:1 The hand of the LORD was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones, 2 And caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and, lo, they were very dry. 3 And he said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O Lord GOD, thou knowest. 4 Again he said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the LORD. 5 Thus saith the Lord GOD unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live: 6 And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I am the LORD. 7 So I prophesied as I was commanded: and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and behold a shaking, and the bones came together, bone to his bone. 8 And when I beheld, lo, the sinews and the flesh came up upon them, and the skin covered them above: but there was no breath in them. 9 Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to the wind, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live. 10 So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood up upon their feet, an exceeding great army. 11 Then he said unto me, Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel: behold, they say, Our bones are dried, and our hope is lost: we are cut off for our parts. 12 Therefore prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, O my people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel. 13 And ye shall know that I am the LORD, when I have opened your graves, O my people, and brought you up out of your graves, 14 And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the LORD have spoken it, and performed it, saith the LORD. (Eze 37:1 KJV)

All of the words in red are the Hebrew word "ruwach" which means spirit, breath, wind. If you read this using the same word it is quite clear that it is God's breath/spirit in them that gives them life. He says nothing at all about a spirit that "IS" man being reunited with the body. In Genesis 2:7 man has body created from the dust and God breaths His breath into it and in this passage of the resurrection God once again breaths His breath into the body and it lives.

Last edited:
God doesn't have a soul He is spirit. The soul belongs to God it is in a man but it belongs to God. Man isn't a spirit and he doesn't have a soul inside of him, he is a soul.

If you want to make your case then please show me where in Scripture I can find the following, God formed a body from the dust and He breathed into it the breath of life and He made a spirit and He put that in the man and He made a soul and He put that in the man and man was created. Now, It doesn't have to be exactly like that but if you can't find that teaching in the Scriptures then you can't say the Bible teaches it. The most you can do is what you guys have done, that is to infer it. What I've posted is not in the Bible you won't find it. We have the creation of a man the dust of the earth and the breath/spirit of God. Those two became something else, a living soul. Ezekiel 37 give a description of the resurrection and contrary to what many Christians claim it isn't "THEIR" spirit that is reunited with the body it is God's spirit that is reunited with the body and the body again lives. It's just like we see in Genesis 2.

KJV Ezekiel 37:1 The hand of the LORD was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones, 2 And caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and, lo, they were very dry. 3 And he said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O Lord GOD, thou knowest. 4 Again he said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the LORD. 5 Thus saith the Lord GOD unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live: 6 And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I am the LORD. 7 So I prophesied as I was commanded: and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and behold a shaking, and the bones came together, bone to his bone. 8 And when I beheld, lo, the sinews and the flesh came up upon them, and the skin covered them above: but there was no breath in them. 9 Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to the wind, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live. 10 So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood up upon their feet, an exceeding great army. 11 Then he said unto me, Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel: behold, they say, Our bones are dried, and our hope is lost: we are cut off for our parts. 12 Therefore prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, O my people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel. 13 And ye shall know that I am the LORD, when I have opened your graves, O my people, and brought you up out of your graves, 14 And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the LORD have spoken it, and performed it, saith the LORD. (Eze 37:1 KJV)

All of the words in red are the Hebrew word "ruwach" which means spirit, breath, wind. If you read this using the same word it is quite clear that it is God's breath/spirit in them that gives them life. He says nothing at all about a spirit that "IS" man being reunited with the body. In Genesis 2:7 man has body created from the dust and God breaths His breath into it and in this passage of the resurrection God once again breaths His breath into the body and it lives.

You have been shown many scriptures that man has a spirit, a soul and a body.

The burden of the word of the Lord against Israel. Thus says the Lord, who stretches out the heavens, lays the foundation of the earth, and forms the spirit of man within him: Zechariah 12:1

The spirit of a man is formed by God.

JLB

You have been shown many scriptures that man has a spirit, a soul and a body.

The burden of the word of the Lord against Israel. Thus says the Lord, who stretches out the heavens, lays the foundation of the earth, and forms the spirit of man within him: Zechariah 12:1

The spirit of a man is formed by God.

JLB

Yes, it is we saw that in Genesis 2:7. No one is saying there is no spirit in a man. We've been over this why do you keep posting these types of passages? Can you post scripture that says the spirit "IS" a man?

If I could add, or maybe even tweak what you wrote a bit, I believe you are correct. Man does not have a soul, man is a soul and a living soul at that.
If you look at the creation, you would soon find that all living animals that have the breath of life, are souls as well. So we see a criteria for a soul as being flesh with a breath. In other words, it breaths air and it's body came from the earth.

So what is so special about Man's soul? Simple, it has the very breath of God from when God breathed into Adam the breath of life. Not only that, but God didn't just call the earth to bring forth man, but God himself formed man from the dust of the earth. But as far as the breath of God, It's that spark inside of each and every human being from Adam forward, yourself and I included. Perhaps this is why Solomon could write in Ecc 3 that God has set eternity within the heart of humanity because the very spirit of God has been infused with our very spirit since the time of creation. Perhaps that's why God loves us so much... and perhaps that's why those who recieve the gift of the Holy Spirit have such a task as to love our neighbor as ourselves.

Just some random thoughts. Continue on now.

There is another way to look at Gen 2:7 where man is formed of dust, but doesn't become a living soul until given the breath of life. Absent the breath of life he is a man with a living body, but a dead soul: physically alive, spiritually dead. The difference is the type of breath that animates one's being; heavenly or earthly. Adam was both physically and spiritually alive until the fall, after which he was physically alive but spiritually dead. This is why Christ could instruct His clearly physically alive prospective follower to let the 'dead' bury the dead. The soul is created by God and exists distinct from the body, irrespective whether the body is alive or dead. The soul is considered alive or dead based on the source of the spirit that animates it. Prior to Christ, absent a body to express the soul, the soul was preserved while awaiting judgment.
A great observation worth noting IMHO

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back