Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Difficult Questions

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Goldwing

Many christians believe as they were taught from childhood, that the ten commandments are good rules to follow, as all but the 4th were reinstated after being nailed to the cross, upon the death of Christ. This would include me.

However, there are some questions that many have never given serious thought to, such as:

I. If they were abolished, then how does one define sin/disobedience?
2. If they were abolished, then why do we need grace?
3. If they were abolished, then what evidence can we give to show we love God?

Here is a link to just what you say . https://christianheritagefellowship.com/lords-day-early-christianity
Goldwing if you would like to see this .
Hawkman. Thanks for the link, I read it through word for word. Please note that the only Biblical texts ever mentioned in the whole article is Rev. 1:10. Where John uses of the term, "Lords Day," which the author of the article insinuates John is referring to Sunday. There is no truth in his claim, as there is, "no biblical evidence that either he, or any other disciples ever observed Sunday as a Holy day. John was referring to the seven day sabbath, as Mark 2:25-28, reveals the very words spoken by Jesus. Vs.28, "So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."

The rest of the article are quotes from church fathers who were promoting the, "Lord's day," but their reasoning is void of any Biblical support as their quotes bear that out. Please note in one or two of the quotes that some of their reasoning had to do with making sure that early Roman christians were distancing themselves from Judaism because of the hatred between the two. If you are willing to consider this then you can better understand the motivation by early christians to change the observance of the seventh day sabbath to Sunday.

However, that change by man, does not change the laws of God. King David wrote, “All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal.” (Psalm 119:160)

The Bible says that where there is no law, there is no sin. (Romans 4:15) It also says that sin is the transgression of God’s law. (1 John 3:4) If love is the fulfilling of the law (Romans 13:10), we can say that the Ten Commandments are an expression of God’s two laws of love.

Most of us who observe the seventh day as a holy day find it awkward and difficult to overcome Christian culture and heritage. When you add the pressure of social stigma and consequences that often come with being different (weird), some Christians think that it is best to leave the Sabbath question alone. It’s easier to go along with a world in rebellion than to be an outcast from your own family and/or church family.

The biggest hurdle militating against obeying God’s law is our own sinful nature. We are naturally opposed to doing whatever God commands. Paul wrote, “Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so.” (Romans 8:5-7, italics mine)

When these obstacles are combined and if we go along with the seven superficial arguments that some Christians use, it becomes easy to see why Sunday remains a holy day for most Christians. For 20 centuries this rebellion has been ongoing even though God clearly declares otherwise in the Ten Commandments.

Many christians believe as they were taught from childhood, that the ten commandments are good rules to follow, as all but the 4th were reinstated after being nailed to the cross, upon the death of Christ. This would include me.

However, there are some questions that many have never given serious thought to, such as:

They werent abolished-- Jesus brought a new covenant= LOVE, Thus if one has this love Jesus spoke of--those hearts would not even consider to have any other God before their face, they would not steal from their brothers, they would not murder their brothers, they would not covet their brothers things, they would not commit adultery on their mate. etc,etc all the way down the line. It may be done away with on paper, but it is written on ones heart. Some of the old Mosaic laws were done away with. Like stoning one to death for certain sins. And others.

So this is really about the Sabbath not the 10 commandments. How would anyone know what "many" Christians believe? Ask millions of them did we?

I personally don't know anyone that believes they were abolished. One can use the word "abolished" yet those laws He now wrote on in our heart. Its not what "many" Christians do its what do you do that matters to Him. If you believe you must.. then you better keep it.

Christ did not come to do away with the law but to fulfill it, Matthew 5:17, and brings spiritual meaning it to law and do away with the pointless certain timeline and certain people aspects of the law. Mixed fabrics was a law for the Jews, it doesnt make a difference for us today as believers in Christ. Our clothing should be the Holy Spirit.

Back