Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Do Men Get Osteoporosis?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Lewis

My reason for posting this is because, I am having bone trouble from using Prednisone. This drug is known to affect the bones.

This Week’s Question: Do men get osteoporosis?
Yes, men do get osteoporosis, but women are at greater risk.
Osteoporosis, or porous bone, is a disease characterized by low bone mass and structural deterioration of bone tissue. This condition creates an increased risk of fractures.

Osteoporosis is a major public health threat for 44 million Americans; about 68 percent of them are women. One out of every two women and one in four men over 50 will have an osteoporosis-related fracture in their lifetime.
Our bodies remove old bone and replace it with new bone. During our growth stage, new bone is added faster than old bone is removed. We hit peak bone mass around age 30. After that age, we lose more bone than we form.
Who is at risk of getting osteoporosis?
The chances are greater if you are a woman. Women have less bone tissue and lose bone faster than men because of changes from menopause. Small, thin-boned women are at greater risk. Caucasian and Asian women are at highest risk. Age is a major risk factor because bones become thinner and weaker as you age. Heredity can also increase fracture risk.
Low calcium intake appears to be associated with bone loss. Good sources of calcium include low-fat dairy products, dark-green leafy vegetables, almonds, and foods fortified with calcium, such as orange juice. Some people may need to take a calcium supplement.
Vitamin D plays an important role in calcium absorption and in bone health. It is made in the skin through exposure to sunlight. Vitamin D production decreases in the elderly, in people who are housebound, and for people in general during the winter. Depending on your situation, you may need to take vitamin D supplements.
Bone responds to exercise by becoming stronger. Weight-bearing exercise is the best for your bones. Get off the sofa.
Women who smoke have lower levels of estrogen compared to nonsmokers, and they often go through menopause earlier. Smokers also may absorb less calcium from their diets. Quit.
Regular consumption of 2 to 3 ounces a day of alcohol may be damaging to the skeleton. Heavy drinkers are more prone to bone loss and fractures, because of poor nutrition and increased risk of falling. Quit or, at least, cut down.
People may not know they have osteoporosis until their bones become so weak that a bump or fall causes a hip to fracture or a vertebra to collapse. See your doctor for a check-up.
Following a comprehensive medical assessment, your doctor may recommend that you have your bone mass measured. A bone mineral density (BMD) test is the best way to determine your bone health. BMD tests can identify osteoporosis, determine your risk for fractures, and measure your response to osteoporosis treatment. The most widely recognized bone mineral density test is called a dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry or DXA test.
A comprehensive osteoporosis treatment program includes a focus on proper nutrition, exercise, and safety issues to prevent falls that may result in fractures. In addition, your physician may prescribe a medication to slow or stop bone loss, increase bone density, and reduce fracture risk.

Lewis, I focused my career in biotech on osteoporosis for 10 years. Steroid induced osteoporosis is somewhat common, although it's still thought of as a female disease; specifically Caucasian and Asian women as the article says.

The problem with the current osteoporosis treatments is that they have a HUGE half-life in the body, so they remain in the system for a very long time; we're talking like 10 years in theory. It's only been recently that researchers are seeing some of the long-term side-effects of treatment. Steroids are the quick route to breaking down the bone remodeling process as opposed to the natural way.

You have osteoclasts that scrub away old bone, and osteoblasts that build new bone. It's the body's way of keeping bones healthy with new tissue. Treatments have focused on stopping osteoclast activity, so that there's less bone being scrubbed away. The osteoblasts will still build bone, so the theory is that that bones will get stronger, if that makes sense.

The problem is that this meds plant themselves in the matrix of the bone to stop osteoclasts, and they are there a long time. There's a well believed theory called "Frozen Bones" where, because these meds are stopping the process of old bone being "hauled away". They become "frozen" or calcified.

Are you taking anything for it?

Mike I suffer from chronic sinusitis and I have had 2 operations on my sinusis.
So to keep the swelling down which tries to always be present, i have been using Prednisone off and on for years sometimes in high doses.

Mike I suffer from chronic sinusitis and I have had 2 operations on my sinusis.
So to keep the swelling down which tries to always be present, i have been using Prednisone off and on for years sometimes in high doses.

Lewis, I meant for osteoporosis. Are you taking anything for bone loss to offset the steroids?

This Week’s Question: Do men get osteoporosis?
They sure do. About 3 years ago, my doctor told me that I was on my way to osteoporosis. The cause for me was low testosterone, REAL LOW testosterone.

To this day, I take injections three times a month.

I can't comment on your situation, but the short answer to the question is "yes".

Men get it. But in the case of women getting it more often and the so-called preventative, you hear of everyone pushing calcium, calcium, and more calcium! But there's more than "just getting enough". There's the body's absorption and utilization factor.

Sometimes I wonder if vitamin D in part does not play a role (Or, I should say lack thereof). I always picture women of any race and ethnicity as fairer (skinned) than their same male counterpart, particularly white and Asian women. But what have we been taught over the years? Pour on the sunblock and avoid the sun like Dracula, and then everyone wonders why there's even more heart diseases, cancers, osteoporosis and whatnot even though people have been dutifully listening to the advice and taking their medications. (so much for all that!)

Of course I won't rule out hormonal deficiencies in both men and women, which would come under the category of the body's ability to utilize a nutrient.

No Mike I am not taking anything for it yet. I am trying to see if this clears up on it's own, but my age might be against me at 56.

No Mike I am not taking anything for it yet. I am trying to see if this clears up on it's own, but my age might be against me at 56.

Osteoporosis doesn't "clear up on its own", Lewis. While I wouldn't recommend the bisphosphonates (Fosamax, Actonel, etc.), at the very least you should be taking Calcium and Vitamin D supplements (in spite of what Dr. Tim says) and doing light weight baring exercises to strengthen your bone support. Calcium and Vitamin D need to be taken concomitantly or there is little absorption of either.

Likely, if you have anything, you have osteopenia which can progress into osteoporosis if you don't do something to change the trend-line.

Woops, sorry, Lewis. I momentarily forgot your condition was brought on by steroids. (You gotta stop juicin' dude! :lol)

Seriously, since this isn't a metabolic decline, stopping steroids may reverse your bone loss on its own. But make sure you get check-ups to be sure! :salute

Osteoporosis doesn't "clear up on its own", Lewis. While I wouldn't recommend the bisphosphonates (Fosamax, Actonel, etc.), at the very least you should be taking Calcium and Vitamin D supplements (in spite of what Dr. Tim says) and doing light weight baring exercises to strengthen your bone support. Calcium and Vitamin D need to be taken concomitantly or there is little absorption of either.

Likely, if you have anything, you have osteopenia which can progress into osteoporosis if you don't do something to change the trend-line.

Hehe Dr. Tim. :lol

well, I'm never sick nor visit the doctor, even though I'm, 52 where most at that age are on several medications by now. How many times do you go? :lol

Children of God, Like me, have an innate ability to understand health, BTW. I get sick and tired when "Christians" always talk about going to the doctor. It does not impress atheists.

Back