Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Do you keep the sabbath? (christians)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
"it's an accurate translation of the original Greek manuscripts into modern, easy-to-read English. This free study Bible includes historical information, extensive outlines for each book, over 9,000 explanatory footnotes, more than 13,000 cross-references, and 8 pages of important charts and maps."
Just looked it up and this is what it says on biblesforamerica.org which I presume is the same thing. Generic google says:
"The Recovery Version is a modern English translation of the Bible from the original languages, published by Living Stream Ministry, ministry of Witness Lee and Watchman Nee. It is the commonly used translation of Local Churches. The New Testament was published in 1985 with study aids, and was revised in 1991."

Community is one of the many things that kept drawing me to Christianity. I notice unlike other religions the sense of a caring community seems to be absolutely profound

Depends on where you are. But yes, that's the real value in having a good church, btw, if you can find one. If there are good people there, you have others that will love you and look out for you, and help you along in your spiritual development.

When it comes to the Forums, that can be a bit Hit and Miss. You will definitely find some good people who become valuable friends to you, and they're usually more knowledgeable in the word - out of necessity, since Forum life is a lot about being able to defend one's doctrinal and religious views. Unfortunately there are also a lot of jerks and heretics on the forums as well, so it's not exactly like a church, more like a religious Free-for-all, so you need to be selective in places like this.

Depends on where you are. But yes, that's the real value in having a good church, btw, if you can find one. If there are good people there, you have others that will love you and look out for you, and help you along in your spiritual development.

When it comes to the Forums, that can be a bit Hit and Miss. You will definitely find some good people who become valuable friends to you, and they're usually more knowledgeable in the word - out of necessity, since Forum life is a lot about being able to defend one's doctrinal and religious views. Unfortunately there are also a lot of jerks and heretics on the forums as well, so it's not exactly like a church, more like a religious Free-for-all, so you need to be selective in places like this.
Yeah I had to ignore someone already on a different post because they wanted a debate when I didn't and also contradicted their argument against mine so I just didn't reply in the end and ignored. I noticed someone else had left them a profile message saying they were ignoring them for similar reasons so

And yeah Im pretty familiar with forums I was on an eating disorder one for 8 years and that one was very toxic

Im mostly just here to learn more about Christianity and have some meaningful discussion with people like yourself and Wondering so I've found what I was looking for anyway haha

more than 13,000 cross-references,

This is good especially. You can look at the side column if you want to see other places where a particular word or phrase is used in the Bible, and it will tell you where. Very helpful for students and not just readers.
The Recovery Version is a modern English translation of the Bible from the original languages, published by Living Stream Ministry, ministry of Witness Lee and Watchman Nee.

Ok, well that's interesting. I never read Witness Lee, but I did read some of Watchman Nee's books back when I first got saved and he was VERY spiritual. Very deep. Not sure what opinion I would have of him today... and I don't think I have a copy of any of his writings anymore, but I remember him as being very spiritually-oriented, which is a good thing. :)

"The Recovery Version is a modern English translation of the Bible from the original languages

Yeah, I found some reviews and it sounds pretty good to me. The primary complaint is that it is over-literal in some places, which means they were sticking very strictly to the text even at the expense of the translation into English being a bit hard to make out. That's not the end of the world, and better IMO than drifting far afield with what the original text is actually saying just to make it more "understandable." You could always look at other translations and compare if you have a hard time getting what a verse is trying to say.

Anyway, most of these reviews are good. Most of those who appear to actually know something about the original languages appear to approve of it:

This one is somewhat more critical, but that's partly because the source may have a few problems with Nee's doctrinal views. There is no Bible on earth that someone somewhere won't have problems with, so if this is as critical as it gets then you're pretty safe.

Also positive. I was watching this, and the footnote he quotes from is very Watchman Nee, as I recall him. That Bible also has some serious size to it, btw. I thought it would just be a small-print thing since it was free, but that's a $100 Bible easy if you had to actually pay for it.

I think the Lord is with you, sister. You got a very good deal. :)

Yeah, I found some reviews and it sounds pretty good to me. The primary complaint is that it is over-literal in some places, which means they were sticking very strictly to the text even at the expense of the translation into English being a bit hard to make out. That's not the end of the world, and better IMO than drifting far afield with what the original text is actually saying just to make it more "understandable." You could always look at other translations and compare if you have a hard time getting what a verse is trying to say.

Anyway, most of these reviews are good. Most of those who appear to actually know something about the original languages appear to approve of it:

This one is somewhat more critical, but that's partly because the source may have a few problems with Nee's doctrinal views. There is no Bible on earth that someone somewhere won't have problems with, so if this is as critical as it gets then you're pretty safe.

Also positive. I was watching this, and the footnote he quotes from is very Watchman Nee, as I recall him. That Bible also has some serious size to it, btw. I thought it would just be a small-print thing since it was free, but that's a $100 Bible easy if you had to actually pay for it.

I think the Lord is with you, sister. You got a very good deal. :)

Wow thanks for these links I'm even more excited now :lol
🥰

Ok, well that's interesting. I never read Witness Lee, but I did read some of Watchman Nee's books back when I first got saved and he was VERY spiritual. Very deep. Not sure what opinion I would have of him today... and I don't think I have a copy of any of his writings anymore, but I remember him as being very spiritually-oriented, which is a good thing. :)
I have a couple of Watchman Nee's books and I have learned some from them . Deep , yes .

Here is a link to The Bible -Recovery Version you can read online and there is an Android app also , I may download that myself :) . PrimFinallyFoundGod! let us know how it goes when you get your copy .

Here is a link to The Bible -Recovery Version you can read online and there is an Android app also , I may download that myself :) . @PrimFinallyFoundGod! let us know how it goes when you get your copy .

I'd consider paying for one, as I could use another study Bible if it has cross-referencing, and some of his footnotes could be really helpful/ insightful.

I'd like to wait and see if it's actually that size, however, or if the one in the guy's video is a larger Bible than the one they send out for free. If they're sending out Bibles that size, that's a labor of love. I've never seen anybody distribute anything that high-quality for free before.

Wow thanks for these links I'm even more excited now :lol
🥰

Btw, Prim. I didn't watch all the way to the end until just now, but they may be sending you just the New Testament, as that's the one he says is offered for free. But it still looks high quality, and you can always invest in the entire Bible later. The New Testament is better to start with anyway. Some people try to force themselves to read all the way through from the beginning, and get about as far as the "begats" before they run aground somewhere in Leviticus, Lol.

Btw, Prim. I didn't watch all the way to the end until just now, but they may be sending you just the New Testament, as that's the one he says is offered for free. But it still looks high quality, and you can always invest in the entire Bible later. The New Testament is better to start with anyway. Some people try to force themselves to read all the way through from the beginning, and get about as far as the "begats" before they get run aground somewhere in Leviticus, Lol.
Im still very excited I watched the whole thing and I REALLY like the idea of it having clear footnotes while keeping the verses as true to translation as possible. It sounds like the perfect way to study the bible and I just can't wait to make it a daily part of my routine, spending time with God. Probably in the morning so then I can spend my mornings and my nights with God as I always pray before I go to sleep (usually I ask for forgiveness at the moment and affirm my growing faith in him haha)

can't wait to make it a daily part of my routine

Important Tip:

Actually, a very important tip. Before you start your study times, say a short prayer asking the Holy Spirit to reveal things to you from His word. Do it consistently and your spiritual life will explode. Having the Lord as your Teacher makes all the difference in the world, as He wrote the thing, so He knows what it means better than anyone. But He generally won't do it for others unless they specifically ask Him to, and regularly.

The scriptural basis for it is John 16:12-16:

12 “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; He will speak only what He hears, and He will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify Me because it is from Me that He will receive what He will make known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is Mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from Me what He will make known to you.”

Important Tip:

Actually, a very important tip. Before you start your study times, say a short prayer asking the Holy Spirit to reveal things to you from His word. Do it consistently and your spiritual life will explode. Having the Lord as your Teacher makes all the difference in the world, as He wrote the thing, so He knows what it means better than anyone. But He generally won't do it for others unless they specifically ask Him to, and regularly.

The scriptural basis for it is John 16:12-16:

12 “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; He will speak only what He hears, and He will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify Me because it is from Me that He will receive what He will make known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is Mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from Me what He will make known to you.”
This is such a good idea! I'm definitely going to do that thank you

I currently don't belong to a church. So I guess that would be a no for me. I do rest on Sunday though. As much as I can anyway. I hope it counts for something.

Anyways, it's become a topic I think more and more about lately. I was never really the church type. I don't enjoy sitting or passively absorbing information from a pastor. I enjoy seeking out information and playing an active role or the one delivering the information.

I would like to find a church though. I feel like I should.

I currently don't belong to a church. So I guess that would be a no for me. I do rest on Sunday though. As much as I can anyway. I hope it counts for something.

Anyways, it's become a topic I think more and more about lately. I was never really the church type. I don't enjoy sitting or passively absorbing information from a pastor. I enjoy seeking out information and playing an active role or the one delivering the information.

I would like to find a church though. I feel like I should.
Yeah you should avoid the traditional churches then. I managed to find a church with more passion/vibrancy. Songs are more modern and they use typical instruments instead of just a church organ, and the sermons are shorter but passionate instead of JUST bible stories. It's called christ church I've heard there is different types of church so maybe look into Christ Church's? Many have live past recordings on youtube/facebook now so you can skim through and see what their services are like

Yeah you should avoid the traditional churches then. I managed to find a church with more passion/vibrancy. Songs are more modern and they use typical instruments instead of just a church organ, and the sermons are shorter but passionate instead of JUST bible stories. It's called christ church I've heard there is different types of church so maybe look into Christ Church's? Many have live past recordings on youtube/facebook now so you can skim through and see what their services are like
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that. It could be that it's a problem with me. My mind wanders when I'm bored, and I can only hear "Jesus love you" so many times before I start thinking about what I'm going to have for dinner.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that. It could be that it's a problem with me. My mind wanders when I'm bored, and I can only hear "Jesus love you" so many times before I start thinking about what I'm going to have for dinner.
Yeah try modern church. If you still find that happening you might want to get assessed for ADHD it's extremely common and I personally know many with it. Best of luck to you :)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back