Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Do you really believe Christ died for you?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
frank ledford said:
The fact that I acknowledge that Jesus raised his own body leads to evidence that more than the body of Christ was dead. Why? Because Paul introduced himself at the beginning of his epistle to Galatians thus....Paul, an apostle—sent not from men nor by man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead—

Since Jesus promised he would raise his own body then the fact is that God the Father must have raised something else from the dead besides the body of Jesus.

Indeed. I agree that Jesus stated he would "raise the temple" in three days "speaking of his body" ... but it was his Father, God, who restored his life itself. Perhaps once alive again in a spiritual form, Jesus assumed the form of his human body when talking to his disciples after death. Perhaps it could have meant something else. But apart from him saying that he would "raise the temple" the entire rest of the bible repeatedly states that it was his Father, God, who restored Jesus from death. Not Jesus defeating death by his own power while he was dead. If he had the power to do anything (including "defeating death" ... he obviously could not have been "dead." Meaning he would have never "died" for us, and therefore we would have no hope.)

How can Jesus take on the punishment that man is supposed to take and live at all?

If punishment for man is hell...

and hell is eternal...

and Jesus died to take on our punishment and sin...

then how is he not in hell for all of eternity?

Paradox, eh?

Because the God said "the wages of sin is death." ... not "hell." Revelation even shows that "death and hades will be thrown into the lake of fire" at the final judgement. So, obviously if "hades" referred to anything beyond a common grave, it would still be done away with at judgement. The fact that Jesus paid for our sins by dying (not by being tortured with hellfire for eternity) shows that God was telling the truth that "death" is the wage of sin.

samuel said:
John 10:15 "I surrender my soul in behalf of the sheep"
John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his soul in behalf of his friends."
Matthew 20:28 "Just as the Son of man came, not to be ministered to, but to minister and to give his soul a ransom in exchange for many"

New translation junk, which is destroying the true word of God. This stuff is from the pits of hell, and is responsible for the destruction of the faith of many. The KJV the only true word of God, has it right the word is LIFE.

So, when is it appropriate to translate "psuche" as "soul" instead of "life?" And when is it appropriate to translate "pneuma" as "breath" instead of "spirit?"

When it's convenient it seems that mainstream christianity demands that such words must mean nothing less than an individual spiritual being inhabiting our bodies... a ghost. Yet, when it's inconvenient, they're to be translated as a person's physical life, and specifically not any sort of metaphysical spirit or soul?

... Honestly, do you define the word of God by the original language? Or does the KJV translation supersede the original text any time the two disagree?

I'm not educated in the original bible languages... but in the bible commonly used here the word used in these verses means life :chin
I don't believe that souls die when the physical body dies... in Jesus' case I believe his body died and the soul went to the Father. :shrug

So, when is it appropriate to translate "psuche" as "soul" instead of "life?" And when is it appropriate to translate "pneuma" as "breath" instead of "spirit?"

When it does not contradict logic or other scriptures. As I said above one scripture says, that in the period Jesus was dead, his soul went to Hades to preach to the old testament dead. Thus, it would be illogical to translate psuche in a manner that would contradict another part of scripture. If two definitions are given for any given word, one compares it to the rest of scripture to make sure it fits. Scripture can not contradict itself.

Mohrb said:
Here's how I read the account: Seems to me that God so loved the earth that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life (guess where that came from).

Easy, it came from the NWT (Jehova's Witness Bible), which is prohibited on this forum except in discussion of Jehovah's Witness beliefs (permitted in the "Christianity and Other Religions" forum). You are not to use this translation interchangeably with Christian translations as per the Terms of Service:

ToS said:
3 - No active promotion of other Faiths is allowed:

Only scripture from accepted Christian bibles will be allowed to be posted on this board. The New World Translation is not considered Christian material on this site. Discussion about other scripture, documents, writings or material is acceptable but will not be permitted to be used as a basis of support within a debate or discussion.

The fact that your premise in the OP comes directly from this translation, which you did not cite for others to see (citation is required unless one uses a KJV, which is public domain), changes the whole discussion. This topic will remain open for now, but it may be closed in the future depending on what the moderators of this specific forum decide...

Did Jesus die specifically for some people and not for others? Who is part of the "world" that God so loved? Who applies the sacrifice...we, who estimate that our faith is sufficient?...or is this unknown and can only be administered by God Himself?

If we see that Jesus dying for all brings Him halfway to us...He is the Mediator after all...and we dying to ourselves brings us up to meet Him halfway....! Perhaps we should see the cross as a rallying point, where Christ and they that are His are brought together. Jesus then died for they who die for Him...again, as God judges. :)

I agree that Jesus stated he would "raise the temple" in three days "speaking of his body" ... but it was his Father, God, who restored his life itself.

I think it was the Holy Spirit that actually raised Jesus from the dead. I draw that conclusion according to this verse:

Romans 8:11

And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back