Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Does anyone keep the Sabbath?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Is there anyone here who actually keeps the Sabbath day? Jesus lived a perfect life, and kept the Sabbath and the Feast Days.

Zech. 14:16
And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

Even in the Kingdom we will be keeping the feast of tabernacles. So I guess it wasn't done away with.. N'or was the Sabbath Day, or the Law, except some decided to listen to doctrines of devils

Luke 16:17
And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

Gen. 2:3
And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

God even sanctified the Sabbath before the Law was given. So to those who would say the Law is done away with, what you're really saying is, 'All that God has decreed is now void - we will live in lawlessness.'

I leave you with John's words. He who can hear, let him hear.

1 John 3:4
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. 5And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. 6Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. 7Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. 8He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning.

Romans 14
" 5 One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord."

When I read Acts 15, I see that the apostles didn't want this to be a stumbling block for gentiles. It really needn't be. Col 2 tells us not to look down on believers who hold to the sabbath or not. We are made free in Christ, and every believer is free to determine for himself what he is Led to do. If his conscience is not piqued by the Holy Spirit, who are we to pique it for Him?

Is there anyone here who actually keeps the Sabbath day? Jesus lived a perfect life, and kept the Sabbath and the Feast Days.

Zech. 14:16
And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

Even in the Kingdom we will be keeping the feast of tabernacles. So I guess it wasn't done away with.. N'or was the Sabbath Day, or the Law, except some decided to listen to doctrines of devils

Luke 16:17
And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

Gen. 2:3
And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

God even sanctified the Sabbath before the Law was given. So to those who would say the Law is done away with, what you're really saying is, 'All that God has decreed is now void - we will live in lawlessness.'

I leave you with John's words. He who can hear, let him hear.

1 John 3:4
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. 5And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. 6Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. 7Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. 8He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning.

I keep the Sabbath...in that I consider Sunday to be a day of rest from my normal activities, and a day for worshipping God. But, I suggest your post begs the question of what, exactly, you think constitutes keeping the Sabbath. Does picking ears of corn while walking through a field on Sunday break the Sabbath? Some would say it does, because many of today's Christians willingly play the role of Pharisee.

i see no problem if its not mandatory in your doctrine. i may do the shabat one day. but i wont continue it as its too much of a burdern for me.

It's almost impossible to keep the sabbath as set out in Jewish law in modern times .

But let's not confuse setting a day a side for God as keeping the sabbath . One should put every day a side for God !

Simply driving to church would break the sabbath law of rest .

I keep the Sabbath in my copy of the old testament along with the Law. and don't do anything else with it except use it to start my bible with. The Sabbath hasn't been trendy since Jesus came and changed things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mosaic Law was concerned with the old covenant.

If you check Leviticus you will discover that the old
covenant was between God and Israel.

Gentiles (us) were not included in the old covenant.

We Gentiles were included only within the new covenant.

So the Ten Commandments are not applicable to the
Gentiles.

:yes

Christians are not under the law.....2nd Corinthians 3:7,11,13

Also, Jesus said the sabbath is made for YOU and not YOU for it.
Mark 2:27

K

Christians are not under the law.....2nd Corinthians 3:7,11,13

Also, Jesus said the sabbath is made for YOU and not YOU for it.
Mark 2:27

K

I know Christians are not under the law, that is their problem. And when Jesus says He made the Sabbath for me, I say 'Thank-you Jesus' and I take it gladly.

I keep the Sabbath...in that I consider Sunday to be a day of rest from my normal activities, and a day for worshipping God. But, I suggest your post begs the question of what, exactly, you think constitutes keeping the Sabbath. Does picking ears of corn while walking through a field on Sunday break the Sabbath? Some would say it does, because many of today's Christians willingly play the role of Pharisee.

Rest from 'your work' is the correct interpretation. Isaiah told us the Sabbath is about doing God's work, and saying His words, not our own.

The Sabbath is a day of rest, and it is the seventh day, not the first day. The Christians made it Sunday, because it's the Day of the Sun, and they like to worship Pagan gods. If you don't believe me, check out the history behind Easter, Christmas, birthdays, halloween, and ask them why they named every day of the week after pagan gods.

OK... if you want to live by the Law.. go ahead. I hope you do realize that you need to live by each and every letter of the Law... not just the Sabbath law, but each and every single one... watch which materials you mix together... and if your kid disrespects you, be sure to stone him to death... and keep up on which women are having their "time of the month", you won't be able to touch anything they touch.

Myself, I'd rather trust in Jesus' finished work on the cross, rather than in my own efforts to save myself. I know for a fact, I couldn't do it. Praise God that He sent His Son to fulfill righteousness for my sake. I'd never, ever make it otherwise.

I'll take being a Christian over being anything else, any day of the week, no matter what the Romans named them.

Yes, the Sabbath has ceased to be a binding requirement for the people of God because we draw near to God through the New Covenant of faith in Christ's blood. That is why the old way has been set aside. Not abolished, not destroyed, just not needed anymore.

That being said, I am of the opinion that it was not God's intention that the church abandon the Jewish worship schedule, even though we are certainly entitled to not HAVE to keep that worship cycle as a matter of binding law.

I think this is the standard by which the Scriptures teach us to live by...

Follow the convictions and leading of the Holy Spirit on issues in which we have freedom... but don't impose those convictions and leadings on others.

Do the one, and one grows in grace.
Do the other, and one becomes judgmental and ultimately a hypocrite.

Many, especially those of Jewish heritage, find a lot of meaning in following the Jewish traditions surrounding the Sabbath day.

Others treat pretty much every day alike and still others find a lot of meaning in meeting with so many in the Church on Sunday mornings.

Again, do what your spirit, in line with the Holy Spirit, leads you to do. Just don't become a judge towards others about it.

This is of course directed at Christians... non-Christians can do what they want, but for non-Christians reading...

There really is the power to life eternal in Jesus Christ... and Him alone. Following Old Testament laws, or the teachings of others, or just doing what seems right in one's own mind... well, as the prophet said, "There is a way that seems right to a man, but the end thereof is death."

Rest from 'your work' is the correct interpretation. Isaiah told us the Sabbath is about doing God's work, and saying His words, not our own.

The Sabbath is a day of rest, and it is the seventh day, not the first day. The Christians made it Sunday, because it's the Day of the Sun, and they like to worship Pagan gods. If you don't believe me, check out the history behind Easter, Christmas, birthdays, halloween, and ask them why they named every day of the week after pagan gods.

Did you miss the Pharisee reference?...or maybe you thought it was a compliment.

:studyfyi the shabat in isreal isnt celebrated due to the idea that the idf must work to defend that nation from her threats. so the orthodox chabad.org and its temples are spreading that idea to jews in america.

When we're told the Sabbath was made for man, it was to say, "Rest is good. Taking time to rest from anything is always good, so I Gave this to you. Find rest in Me.". It is beneficial, of course, but your Salvation is not dependent on it. Do you believe it is?

As for your condemnation of holidays some of us celebrate, there will always be those who take a legalistic approach to anything we do, but I don't let them rob me of the freedom I have in Christ. He specifically told me not to let people reduce my faith to a set of rules. Whenever someone tries to, I take His Word over theirs.

Colossians 2
"<sup class="versenum">16 </sup>Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. <sup class="versenum">17 </sup>These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. <sup class="versenum">18 </sup>Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions. <sup class="versenum">19 </sup>He has lost connection with the Head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow."

His created have a way of making His Love so very complicated. :shame

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back