Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Does forgiveness also mean friendship?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

boolnz

Not sure if this post fits here but I want to vent, and ask a question.

"Julie" and I have been friends for two years. She is a sweet girl, but I find myself not enjoying her company anymore.

-A week before my surgery, Julie began joking about how in some cases, anaesthesia doesn't work. She started describing how much pain I would feel if it didn't work for me in a joking way, and laughed about it. This wasn't a minor procedure. As I was already feeling nervous, I found it appalling that she'd be so insensitive. When I politely told her it wasn't a nice thing to say, she just ignored me.
-She asks invasive and inappropriate questions repeatedly. She keeps asking me why my husband and I sleep in separate rooms (we both sleep more comfortably that way, none of anybody else's business, right? Not according to Julie). She keeps asking "so do you guys REALLY have trouble sleeping when you're in the same room?" as if trying to figure out what marriage problems we must have to be in different bedrooms. She's also asked me about a very personal medical problem I have, something most people wouldn't probe others about. Again, I indicated I didn't want to discuss this, and she ignored me.
-Julie annoys my son - to give an example, last time she came over to our place, he happened to be sick. My son was grumpy and threw his cup on the floor. She jokingly told him he was going into "time out", and my son, recognising the word, became upset. Over the next hour she told him about ten times that he was going to go to "time out" and laughed each time because it was funny for her to get a reaction out of him. I told her he was ill and please stop agitating him, but she completely ignored me. (This seems to happen a lot when she's around)

There have been so many other occasions where I felt like Julie was being inconsiderate. I just don't enjoy her company anymore and I find myself feeling edgy and wondering what else she's going to do next. I have stopped inviting her to our place because it's impossible to put my son to bed when she's there - she talks so loudly he can't sleep (and this is after we repeatedly and politely ask her to tone it down). I have started to distance myself away from her and Julie has been making an extra effort to be nicer to me. To be honest, I would prefer if we just stopped meeting up. But I feel guilty and wonder if God wants me to remain friends with her. I keep telling myself, "how can I expect God to forgive me and stick with me if I won't do the same for others?" But I really, really dread being around Julie.

I haven't come up with a good conclusion after much thought, so I want to know what others' perspectives are. From a biblical point of view, does God tell us to be friends with people whom we dislike? Do I need to keep preserving this friendship to please God? Does forgiving somebody also mean we need to remain friends with them?

As a Christian your first responsibility is to your family. This person is disrupting your home....

You say this stuff is not her business, i agree, but how does she know about it... Why would she know you dont share a room?

Myself i could joke about surgery but when you KNOW you are hurting some one your out of line...

I told her he was ill and please stop agitating him, but she completely ignored me. (This seems to happen a lot when she's around)
I would just open the door and ask her to leave. Julie it is time for you to go now...

Friendship? she does not sound like a friend to me. Should you carry a grudge NO! Just move on.. And allow the forgiveness to happen.
Being a friend does not mean you must be a doormat. If she returns with a pleasantness you might give the friend ship a second or millionth try.

You say this stuff is not her business, i agree, but how does she know about it... Why would she know you dont share a room?
If you come to our house, it's fairly obvious my husband and I keep separate bedrooms. I don't think it's something we should be ashamed of and if anyone asks, we tell them we sleep separately so we can both get a good night's sleep. But I certainly don't expect the other person to quiz me about it incessantly over a period of several months, and make assumptions about the state of our marriage.

I guess the main thing is, I feel guilty ending the friendship. We have several mutual friends so if I want to distance myself from her, it would involve pointedly ignoring her and not inviting her to social events.

Sometimes I think the best thing you can do for people is cut them off from interaction. It helps them see that their behavior isn't "cute." Also, like reba said, she's disrupting your home life and obviously prying into your life.

I'd just stop being friends with her. Does she have this incredible lack of social skills with other people, or is it just you?

Jesus taught the three greatest commandments of Love your God with your all, love your neighbor as yourself, and to love your neighbor as Christ loves us. Nowhere does it say that we have to like a person or be friends with them. However, we must be polite and considerate of them since it shows that we love them.

If you don't want to be friends with her then let her know that you do not want to be friends with her and let her know you forgive her for her transgressions against you and your family. After that, just walk away and ask God to guide her to being a better person, friend, and Christian.

Is she a Christian ?

The devil can use people like her to drive believers insane and disrupt peace ....

May God give her wisdom to realize her mistake and be loving and sensitive.

Is she a Christian ?

The devil can use people like her to drive believers insane and disrupt peace ....

May God give her wisdom to realize her mistake and be loving and sensitive.
Yes, she's a Christian. Does that mean God uses believers to drive random people insane and disrupt peace, too?

I haven't come up with a good conclusion after much thought, so I want to know what others' perspectives are.

1)From a biblical point of view, does God tell us to be friends with people whom we dislike?

2)Do I need to keep preserving this friendship to please God?

3)Does forgiving somebody also mean we need to remain friends with them?
Ok, finally read your opening post! My answers:

1) We are to be kind to them, provided they are only a bother and not a threat to us. If they have harmed us, THEN the question of forgiveness comes into the picture. But you can only forgive someone who has repented.

2) No, I do not believe so.

3) If they repent, apologize and make amends, and wish for reconciliation, I believe it is probably expected of us to repair the friendship.

But in your case, this person is simply driving you nuts! She sounds inconsiderate and somewhat dull-witted or self-absorbed. I'd simply distance myself from her. Do not hate her, but do not allow her to continue to steal your joy!

Forgiving the sins and trespasses of others does not include allowing them further opportunity to do so. Your friend may have a mean streak, or she may be genuinely clueless about social interactions. In the first case, you are not required to provide her further opportunity to hurt you and your family. If it's the second case and she is simply clueless about social norms, you may decide to have a frank and up-front discussion with her about how her behavior is hurtful to you.

I let my rabbit loose in my room once, and he chewed up my comic books. I forgave him, but he never again was set loose in my room.

Back