Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Does the Holy Spirit move after Acts?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Mark 16:15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.â€

Are we suppose to heal the sick + cast out demons? What are your thoughts on this verse? I know there are many supporting verses, so this could be a doctrine to preach,cast out demons, speak in new tongues, and heal the sick?

Mark 16:15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Are we suppose to heal the sick + cast out demons? What are your thoughts on this verse? I know there are many supporting verses, so this could be a doctrine to preach,cast out demons, speak in new tongues, and heal the sick?

There are a lot of people who have health problems, and a lot of people who we love that are sick. Are miracles still occurring today? The Bible says, “Absolutely not. In 1 Cor 13:10 Paul said, "When that which is perfect has come then that which is in part will be done away. In the context, which part?

It was a miracle with tongue speaking and the ability to do miracles. But when the perfect came that which was "in part" would be done away with.
Jesus is perfect but He had already come by the time of the writing in Corinthians.. James 1:25 tells us that we have "the perfect law of liberty. "The purpose of miracles was to confirm the Word of God. Mark 16:20 and Hebrews 2:1-4 tell us that miracles were to confirm the Word of God.

Suppose two people stand up, and both of them say, “I have a message from God.” How do you know who really has the correct message in a time when people could not check their Bibles because they did not have Bibles? Today we can test people’s claims by the Word of God. But back then, how could they check people’s claims? If one man could work a miracle, and another man could not, then the one who worked the miracle was confirmed by the miracle that he was indeed a servant of God. The miracles do not exist today because we have the Word of God, which saves us. Miracles served the purpose of proving that a person was a spokesman from God, and that Jesus was the Son of God. In Mark 5 we see the power of Jesus through His healing. In Mark 6 we are given an update on John the Immerser. In Mark 1 we saw John preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins. He was laying the groundwork for Christ to come, and even baptized Christ Himself. Jesus’ ministry pretty much begins at that point.

Mark 16:15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.â€

The problem with this passage is that everyone leaves out verse 14 and misunderstands who He is addressing in verse 17, The antecedent of "them" is "the eleven themselves" (Mark 16:14); and the only way this can be avoided is to change the singular pronouns in Mark 16:15-16 into plural pronouns contrary to the Greek text. (it was the Apostles that would have the power of signs)

Mark 16:14-18 (KJV)
14 Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

There are a lot of people who have health problems, and a lot of people who we love that are sick. Are miracles still occurring today? The Bible says, “Absolutely not. In 1 Cor 13:10 Paul said, "When that which is perfect has come then that which is in part will be done away. In the context, which part?

1 Corinthians 13:1-13If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned,a but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;b 6it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

13So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

I'm not convinced this passage is referring to God not performing miracles any more. It says when the "perfect" comes. We aren't living in this "perfect". When heaven is our reality, then these things will pass away, but love will remain. To me it seems like you are puzzling verses to fit. Now you say this "perfect" is Jesus from James 1, if this were the case why did miracles happen after Jesus came? Do you have any other verses that support that God doesn't do miracles anymore?

The miracles do not exist today because we have the Word of God, which saves us.

The Bible is full of miracles and they had Scripture too. No it couldn't be mass produced because they didn't have the printing press, but they still had the old testament. If you take the Bible which is full of miracle stories, and rip out all the pages with miracles; then you won't have a Bible any more. This word that you use "saves", does it not mean forgiven, delivered, and healed? Which only Jesus saves, I don't believe that it's the Words of the Bible.

The problem with this passage is that everyone leaves out verse 14 and misunderstands who He is addressing in verse 17, The antecedent of "them" is "the eleven themselves" (Mark 16:14); and the only way this can be avoided is to change the singular pronouns in Mark 16:15-16 into plural pronouns contrary to the Greek text. (it was the Apostles that would have the power of signs)

I could understand your point on this IF they were the only ones who performed miracles. The new testament is littered with many different believers performing miracles in the name of Jesus.

2nd Timothy 3:1-9 But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. 2For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, 4treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. 6For among them are those who creep into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and led astray by various passions, 7always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth. 8Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so these men also oppose the truth, men corrupted in mind and disqualified regarding the faith. 9But they will not get very far, for their folly will be plain to all, as was that of those two men.

This passage talks as if the miracles will never stop, but says in the last times that His people would actually deny its power. Am I missing something here? What about all these claims of missionaries in South America and Africa raising the dead up? How about the evangelists who pray over the sick and they get healed? Are they evil or just obeying the Word of God?

What needs to be asked is: Is the Bible now complete? to which the answer is a resounding, Yes!

(This was the context of the sign gifts in Acts, during the Apostolic period when the Bible was not yet complete, to confirm the message of the Apostles, especially to their Jewish audience.)

Back when Paul and the apostles were speaking in tongues and preforming miracles, there was a purpose which I laid out in my previous post. There are things that are unexplainable today, but there was a reason why the apostles were given their gift of tongues and healing..

Raising the dead in South American and Africa is another subject which I would be closed minded of those "spirits." That is all I have to say about that...

I could understand your point on this IF they were the only ones who performed miracles. The new testament is littered with many different believers performing miracles in the name of Jesus.

I challenge you to show me one scripture that the power by laying of hands was passed on by anyone but an Apostle...

The Apostles could lay their hands on someone giving that someone powers, but the one given the powers could not pass them on to anyone else, I challenge you to show me where that is in the Bible.

And the power of the Apostles died with the Apostles... Many like to believe that "that which is perfect is come" is a second coming of Jesus but it is the Bible:

1 Corinthians 13:8-10
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Verse 9 the writer is speaking of himself and the other Apostles, no single Apostle was given the entire revelation of God, they knew in part, each wrote part of the Bible, What was revealed to Peter may not have been revealed to Paul (this can be seen in the scriptures where Paul once corrected Peter).

Once the Bible is complete (total revelation) there is no need for the miraculous powers (see verse 8) which brings us to verse 10, "then that which is in part shall be done away".

With the entire revelation (that which is perfect) was brought to man, there is no need for the the miracles and powers.

What needs to be asked is: Is the Bible now complete? to which the answer is a resounding, Yes!

(This was the context of the sign gifts in Acts, during the Apostolic period when the Bible was not yet complete, to confirm the message of the Apostles, especially to their Jewish audience.)

I agree the Bible is complete, but Acts never did have "Amen" at the end completing that book. Do you have any verses that support your theory about God not performing miracles today? God is the same yesterday, today and forever. He doesn't change, but it's obvious we are in the last days.

Joel 2:28-32 “And it shall come to pass afterward,
that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh;
your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
your old men shall dream dreams,
and your young men shall see visions.
29 Even on the male and female servants
in those days I will pour out my Spirit.

30“And I will show wonders in the heavens and on the earth, blood and fire and columns of smoke. 31The sun shall be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the great and awesome day of the LORD comes. 32And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved. For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those who escape, as the LORD has said, and among the survivors shall be those whom the LORD calls.

In this verse it appears that more than just the Apostles will have the signs of the Spirit living in them. Which brings up two more questions. What is an apostle? Does the Holy Spirit live inside us?

To answer those questions, I'd say an apostle is one who manages many churches and has a gift or anointing in doing so. I'm also confident that the Holy Spirit lives inside of me as the Bible says this, so should I be shocked if signs follow because the Holy Spirit is with me?

Back when Paul and the apostles were speaking in tongues and preforming miracles, there was a purpose which I laid out in my previous post. There are things that are unexplainable today, but there was a reason why the apostles were given their gift of tongues and healing..

Raising the dead in South American and Africa is another subject which I would be closed minded of those "spirits." That is all I have to say about that...

I agree that there is a purpose for God performing miracles to nonbelievers and believers alike. The whole Bible is covered with them. Read the above in Joel as this gift was given to way more than just the apostles.

The raising the dead and healing the sick is done in the name of Jesus. Are you trying to say this is blasphemy? That all these miracle workers are of satan?

1 Corinthians 2:1-8 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.

Clearly verse 7 is stating that if you pray the will of God, THEN it will be done. Is not the will of God to save us? The word "save" being interchangeable with "heal" but with added benefits in the greek. Save = forgiven, healed, and delivered

I'm really not trying to offend anybody, but this is a theology forum :) We also know that doctrines can't be started unless there are many supporting verses. As of now there is possible one verse that supports the theory of what you guys are saying of the Holy Spirit not moving anymore. Though, I'd beg to differ as I discussed that verse already. Also, if you have any verses stating that healing the sick or casting out demons is of the devil, then please enlighten me.

I agree the Bible is complete, but Acts never did have "Amen" at the end completing that book. Do you have any verses that support your theory about God not performing miracles today? God is the same yesterday, today and forever. He doesn't change, but it's obvious we are in the last days.
I'm really not trying to offend anybody, but this is a theology forum :) We also know that doctrines can't be started unless there are many supporting verses. As of now there is possible one verse that supports the theory of what you guys are saying of the Holy Spirit not moving anymore. Though, I'd beg to differ as I discussed that verse already. Also, if you have any verses stating that healing the sick or casting out demons is of the devil, then please enlighten me.

Please provide a scripture that says we have the power to heal or cast out demons...I have not found one yet. No offense taken :tongue We are here to discuss.

I challenge you to show me one scripture that the power by laying of hands was passed on by anyone but an Apostle...

The Apostles could lay their hands on someone giving that someone powers, but the one given the powers could not pass them on to anyone else, I challenge you to show me where that is in the Bible.

And the power of the Apostles died with the Apostles... Many like to believe that "that which is perfect is come" is a second coming of Jesus but it is the Bible:

1 Corinthians 13:8-10
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Verse 9 the writer is speaking of himself and the other Apostles, no single Apostle was given the entire revelation of God, they knew in part, each wrote part of the Bible, What was revealed to Peter may not have been revealed to Paul (this can be seen in the scriptures where Paul once corrected Peter).

Once the Bible is complete (total revelation) there is no need for the miraculous powers (see verse 8) which brings us to verse 10, "then that which is in part shall be done away".

With the entire revelation (that which is perfect) was brought to man, there is no need for the the miracles and powers.

Do you have any supporting verses? I just replied above with many. What your stating about the Word of God being the perfect to come, is a long stretch if you ask me. Especially with no supporting verses. Normally when the Bible is referring to the words it will say so, example: "Word of God" "Scripture"

2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Let us become thoroughly equipped? :) If God really wanted us to heal the sick and cast out demons, wouldn't you want to know?

Sorry to interrupt but I posted this earlier...here is some scripture.

It was a miracle with tongue speaking and the ability to do miracles. But when the perfect came that which was "in part" would be done away with.
Jesus is perfect but He had already come by the time of the writing in Corinthians.. James 1:25 tells us that we have "the perfect law of liberty. "The purpose of miracles was to confirm the Word of God. Mark 16:20 and Hebrews 2:1-4 tell us that miracles were to confirm the Word of God.

Suppose two people stand up, and both of them say, “I have a message from God.†How do you know who really has the correct message in a time when people could not check their Bibles because they did not have Bibles? Today we can test people’s claims by the Word of God. But back then, how could they check people’s claims? If one man could work a miracle, and another man could not, then the one who worked the miracle was confirmed by the miracle that he was indeed a servant of God. The miracles do not exist today because we have the Word of God, which saves us. Miracles served the purpose of proving that a person was a spokesman from God, and that Jesus was the Son of God. In Mark 5 we see the power of Jesus through His healing. In Mark 6 we are given an update on John the Immerser. In Mark 1 we saw John preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins. He was laying the groundwork for Christ to come, and even baptized Christ Himself. Jesus’ ministry pretty much begins at that point.

hmm i think you need do more study... miracles do take place this day and age i have wittiness healing take place in church..yes i surely have* while the type healing we see on tv with Benny Hinn. i question . i have a niece that is a walking miracle. she had a very rare type cancer that only %5 survive . in fact the surgeon who removed it ruptured the tumor. spreading cancer cells. she was sent to a cancer center in Houston Texas they treated the area with radiation . then done what i would call a caution surgery . went several inches all the way around removing tissue. to this day she is cancer free. yes she has to go every 3 months for check ups. so far so good we give GOD the Glory for this miracle :yes

i have witnessed a young girl have a asthma attack not able to get her breath. they laid hands on her prayed breathing restored . in fact her parents will testify as a baby she stopped breathing completely. a lady took her went to the altar prayed over her. she started breathing the doctor could find nothing wrong...... as per tongues i leave that up to GOD.. i dont feel any of the Gifts of the spirit stopped. no place in the Bible does it say miracles have ceased. when some one gets saved there is another miracle.

i rest my case :thumbsup

I've already read that and replied to it. Infact, thats the only verse I've seen that remotely supports your theory... Cor 13 BUT the rest of the Bible talks about how if you abide in me and my word abides in you ask whatever you desire. Joel says that our sons and daughters will prophesy and speak in new tongues. Mark 16 commands us to heal the sick and cast out demons. In Timothy it says many will deny His power at the end times. All of this I wrote about above, but none of which was taken seriously.

I asked you if you believe raising the dead and healing the sick is of the devil? Should we shun these people who do these things? Or what if they are the ones obeying the Word and really believing and acting on it, not just having a form of godliness.

Please provide a scripture that says we have the power to heal or cast out demons...I have not found one yet. No offense taken We are here to discuss.

hmm i think you need do more study... miracles do take place this day and age i have wittiness healing take place in church..yes i surely have* while the type healing we see on tv with Benny Hinn. i question . i have a niece that is a walking miracle. she had a very rare type cancer that only %5 survive . in fact the surgeon who removed it ruptured the tumor. spreading cancer cells. she was sent to a cancer center in Houston Texas they treated the area with radiation . then done what i would call a caution surgery . went several inches all the way around removing tissue. to this day she is cancer free. yes she has to go every 3 months for check ups. so far so good we give GOD the Glory for this miracle :yes

i have witnessed a young girl have a asthma attack not able to get her breath. they laid hands on her prayed breathing restored . in fact her parents will testify as a baby she stopped breathing completely. a lady took her went to the altar prayed over her. she started breathing the doctor could find nothing wrong...... as per tongues i leave that up to GOD.. i dont feel any of the Gifts of the spirit stopped. no place in the Bible does it say miracles have ceased. when some one gets saved there is another miracle.

i rest my case :thumbsup

Hi Ezra,

As I explained through scripture there is nothing in the bible that gives us the power to heal. We have doctors that God can work through but we do not have the power to lay hands on and heal anybody.... Our minds can work miracles.

That leaves me with another great question, the one I really wanted to discuss. Do you obey it?
Do you my "brother"? :)

I do hope those of us who have these great gifts would remember they are "gifts"
Also If a "brother" says he believes the Word, why challenge him such as this? Its appears as a form of pride? I know many on this forum love to see us "Holy Rollers" acting unholy.

All the gifts in the world profits nothing without love. :thumbsup

Hi Ezra,

As I explained through scripture there is nothing in the bible that gives us the power to heal. We have doctors that God can work through but we do not have the power to lay hands on and heal anybody.... Our minds can work miracles.

2nd Timothy 3:1-9 But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. 2For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, 4treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. 6For among them are those who creep into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and led astray by various passions, 7always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth. 8Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so these men also oppose the truth, men corrupted in mind and disqualified regarding the faith. 9But they will not get very far, for their folly will be plain to all, as was that of those two men.

This passage talks as if the miracles will never stop, but says in the last times that His people would actually deny its power. Am I missing something here? What about all these claims of missionaries in South America and Africa raising the dead up? How about the evangelists who pray over the sick and they get healed? Are they evil or just obeying the Word of God?

I guess the dead are pretty good at playing mind tricks too. Oh and limbs growing back is a cool mind trick too. :) Who can forget about the mind trick to cure cancer. I'm a little shocked actually about this whole thing. The Bible is covered with miracles and God uses His people. I'm really seeing the verse of 2nd Tim 3:5 come to life here. The moment I got saved I witnessed many miracles. Thank God they have never stopped! I've witnessed hundreds of people healed, and all sorts of radical miracles having to do with finances, healing, perfect timing. None of which can be marked off as a mind trick.

I feel so sad for you, you say the Holy Spirit lives inside of you "born again" born of both water and spirit, but deny even listening to Him. The Spirit has been trying to tell you, that what I say is true. I'm grieved as well as His Spirit. How can you read the Bible and say God doesn't do anything anymore? Is He not the same yesterday, today and forever? You have one verse with a half twist in its meaning. If only you had more, then I could understand.

Do you my "brother"? :)

I do hope those of us who have these great gifts would remember they are "gifts"
Also If a "brother" says he believes the Word, why challenge him such as this? Its appears as a form of pride? I know many on this forum love to see us "Holy Rollers" acting unholy.

All the gifts in the world profits nothing without love. :thumbsup

Thanks for responding :) Yes, I obey this now that my eyes have been opened. I'm trying to do the same out of love, but I'm afraid it might be offending people (hope in a good way to seek the Truth). We fight a spiritual battle on our knees and are required to have faith.

I proudly humble myself, (joke!). In reality, I teach many people how to walk in these gifts. It's easier than it sounds brother. Faith is all that is required, not righteousness because it's not by our righteousness, but we are clothed in Jesus' righteousness. Everyone in my core group now has the gift of healing and also are very discerning when God speaks. Being able to see directly into the hearts of man as they witness to people. It's very powerful when you desire to hear His voice more than all the others, as that's when you hear Him.

Back