Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Does this line up with the bible?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Instead of being sorry about my sins to God and asking for his forgiveness, would it be better to ask and repent? What I mean is since we have to repent for our sins, is it better to repent and then ask God for forgiveness for our sin(s)? Does that not make it look more like we are willing to change our ways rather than praying every day asking God for forgiveness? I know the bible says that I must ask God for forgiveness and repent, however, repenting does not mean being sorry; it means to change your ways. What are your guy's thoughts on this? By the way, when I say do not have to pray for forgiveness, I don't mean give up praying altogether.

Thanks for your opinion in advance

Mat 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Mat 6:10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Mat 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread.
Mat 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
Mat 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

This is called "The Lord's Prayer". Jesus gave us this prayer as a pattern of how to pray. Forgive us our debts means to forgive us our sin as we pray everyday recognizing that we do mess up and sin at times. But when we come to the Father with a heart of repentance asking forgiveness, He is quick to forgive us.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

When we sin willfully knowing that it is sin even before we commit whatever sin it is, then we are transgressing against God that will allow us to lose fellowship with Him.

There are certain addictions that lead us to sin against God, but He will help you fight those addictions, but it is up to you to take that first step and walk away from the addiction as God strengthens you and helps you overcome that which you are addicted to.

Forgiveness of sins is part of the New Covenant.

Jeremiah 31:31
“Behold, days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,” declares the Lord. 33 “But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the Lord, “I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,” declares the Lord, “for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

But repentance is what keeps our relationship clear in that Covenant.

Forgiveness of sins is part of the New Covenant.

Jeremiah 31:31
“Behold, days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,” declares the Lord. 33 “But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the Lord, “I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,” declares the Lord, “for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

But repentance is what keeps our relationship clear in that Covenant.
Hebrews 6:1 kjv
1. Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
2. Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
3. And this will we do, if God permit.
4. For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5. And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6. If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Repentance is the first step ( John’s Baptism )
Baptized into salvation ( Baptized into Christ Jesus )
Baptized into the Holy Spirit and Fire ( Empowerment to be a witness .

Of course if a person has not progressed through all the steps, I suppose return to repentance is allowed.

After a certain point is reached Hebrews 6:6 is in effect.

The one new man should,I suppose, follow this.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Hebrews 6:1 kjv
1. Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
2. Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
3. And this will we do, if God permit.
4. For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5. And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6. If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Repentance is the first step ( John’s Baptism )
Baptized into salvation ( Baptized into Christ Jesus )
Baptized into the Holy Spirit and Fire ( Empowerment to be a witness .

Of course if a person has not progressed through all the steps, I suppose return to repentance is allowed.

After a certain point is reached Hebrews 6:6 is in effect.

The one new man should,I suppose, follow this.

Mississippi redneck
eddif
Repentance is a frequent thing. We all miss the mark from time to time and that is what repentance is all about. In that same book it says this:

Hebrews 12:1
Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

That was written to believers. We all can become entangled at times. That does NOT equate with "falling away" as it says in Hebrews 6:6.

Instead of being sorry about my sins to God and asking for his forgiveness, would it be better to ask and repent? What I mean is since we have to repent for our sins, is it better to repent and then ask God for forgiveness for our sin(s)? Does that not make it look more like we are willing to change our ways rather than praying every day asking God for forgiveness? I know the bible says that I must ask God for forgiveness and repent, however, repenting does not mean being sorry; it means to change your ways. What are your guy's thoughts on this? By the way, when I say do not have to pray for forgiveness, I don't mean give up praying altogether.

Thanks for your opinion in advance
Repentance is ongoing. God calls us, we respond asking forgiveness and thus repent. We don't do that first as it's impossible with man to make the first move. Now for the pragmatic end as to what repentance means, you are right that it does not mean "being sorry" but a change of mind.

If my neighbor's kid kept throwing the ball in my yard, I might respond by tearing down his fence out of anger. Of course that's extreme. So I may ask forgiveness and the neighbor forgives me of tearing down his fence (that unfortunately is where many Christians stop). But what good is it if it's still broken? Repentance FIXES the fence so it was like it was before. In addition, repentance says "I won't break your fence again" (ongoing). Now Jesus allows for weakness and if we renege on our promise, we can ask forgiveness again and keep fixing the fence and try again. But the former is preferable. The idea is to get forgiveness and "make it good".

Acts 2:37 kjv
37. Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38. Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

The OP mentioned being sorry for sins. Verse 37 is being touched by the day of Pentecost.
Then repent
Accept Jesus for salvation
Receive Holy Spirit and Fire ( savs
Ed as by fire ).

Jesus intercedes for us
Doctrine of apostles direct us
Holy Spirit leaded us
More.

eddif

Repentance is a frequent thing. We all miss the mark from time to time and that is what repentance is all about. In that same book it says this:

Hebrews 12:1
Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

That was written to believers. We all can become entangled at times. That does NOT equate with "falling away" as it says in Hebrews 6:6.
Got to love Jewish heritage.
Deuteronomy 15:15 kjv
15. And thou shalt remember that thou wast a bondman in the land of Egypt, and the LORD thy God redeemed thee: therefore I command thee this thing to day.
16. And it shall be, if he say unto thee, I will not go away from thee; because he loveth thee and thine house, because he is well with thee;
17. Then thou shalt take an aul, and thrust it through his ear unto the door, and he shall be thy servant for ever. And also unto thy maidservant thou shalt do likewise.

You can be a slave to sin, but you can also be a slave to a good master ( Jesus ). The only example I know of is Jewish.

Exodus 21:2-11 describes the limited time of servitude.
More later.

eddif

Got to love Jewish heritage.
Deuteronomy 15:15 kjv
15. And thou shalt remember that thou wast a bondman in the land of Egypt, and the LORD thy God redeemed thee: therefore I command thee this thing to day.
16. And it shall be, if he say unto thee, I will not go away from thee; because he loveth thee and thine house, because he is well with thee;
17. Then thou shalt take an aul, and thrust it through his ear unto the door, and he shall be thy servant for ever. And also unto thy maidservant thou shalt do likewise.

You can be a slave to sin, but you can also be a slave to a good master ( Jesus ). The only example I know of is Jewish.

Exodus 21:2-11 describes the limited time of servitude.
More later.

eddif
Left out pay scale of slave
Deuteronomy 15:18 kjv
18. It shall not seem hard unto thee, when thou sendest him away free from thee; for he hath been worth a double hired servant to thee, in serving thee six years: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in all that thou doest.

If I have it right a slave gets half regular pay plus benefits.
so
As a slave of Jesus we get 1 Peter 2:24 as a benefit.
Eternal life and complete medical..

Jewish heritage is the only way a Gentile can learn some things.

eddif

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back