Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Does this statement represent the gospel?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Ed the Ned

Please read this statement:

"Thank you for this grace, my God, and especially on this day of resurrection, for the unique and wonderful grace that was shining with truth in Jesus. Thank you for the image of you that he uniquely offers humanity, and the gifts that he offers all people, whatever their language, culture, religion, social standing, political affiliation, sexuality, gender, occupation, age, education, wealth, illness, abilities, intelligence, appearance, moral standing, affiliation, or name. I look forward today to joining with others in celebrating your grace and worshiping you in prayer, song, sermon, ritual, and silence. Alleluia!" - Brian Mclaren.

Does the statement encompase the Gospel or is it false!

Ed the Ned said:

"Thank you for this grace, my God, and especially on this day of resurrection, for the unique and wonderful grace that was shining with truth in Jesus. Thank you for the image of you that he uniquely offers humanity, and the gifts that he offers all people, whatever their language, culture, religion, social standing, political affiliation, sexuality, gender, occupation, age, education, wealth, illness, abilities, intelligence, appearance, moral standing, affiliation, or name. I look forward today to joining with others in celebrating your grace and worshiping you in prayer, song, sermon, ritual, and silence. Alleluia!" - Brian Mclaren.

Sounds dubious .... :chin

the gifts that he offers all people, whatever their .......... religion ?

worshipping in .......... ritual ... and silence ??

:chin

To add the author celebrated Ramadan in a peacemaking attempt to show Muslims we are there brothers. Yet he claims to be Christian. He is taking away the death and ressurection of Christ in his teachings and is opening the way for others to believe there is another way to the father.

Well, the key words are "thanks" and "offer".

So, it is a prayer of giving thanks to God for all that he offers to all people.

But the things is , it never once mentions this.... "through Christ Jesus, OUR Lord and Savior.

And so...... that prayer is a generic one.... one that is said to ALL religions, and people.

Sounds a bit like a Unitarian one to me.

Some people do use those types of prayers when they are speaking to a "variety" of people within the group.

Is it Biblical? Let me ask you this. We, as Christians use the old testament also, as did Jesus.... So, If a person takes claim to being a Jew, is it biblical?
After all, It is a prayer of thank to God for "offereing" those things to all people.

:chin

OKAY, NOW while I was typing this reply you added more to consider and totally changed the gist of the prayer....

To add the author celebrated Ramadan in a peacemaking attempt to show Muslims we are there brothers. Yet he claims to be Christian. He is taking away the death and ressurection of Christ in his teachings and is opening the way for others to believe there is another way to the father.

I agree. This is denying Christ by saying "participating" in celebrating what another religion considers as being one of their holy days. And to say that they are brothers in doing so is blasphamy against the Holy Spirit of Christ Jesus. And yes, he IS using "interfaith" type inclusion. To seperate church and state means the "government" is to not interfere with anyone elses religion, it doesn't mean to deny them of their religious rights. (that is, as long as these religions do not have intent to cause harm to anyone. )

So, IF this man is truly of an "'INTERFAITH" type religion then he is not in violation of the United States Constitution. What other countries Constitutions say about religion, I don't know.

But if it is someone who is a United States Politician doing this.... and I think you are referring to Obama... then,

consider the following...

AS a politician that is, laying aside religious bias (yes people has ever right ot be biased in their beliefs) ... then, he is doing nothing wrong. .

AS "proclaimed "interfaith" type Christian, he is not doing anything wrong according to his religions "doctrines".

HOWEVER, as a Christian who does not practice or believe in the "interfaith" teachings... THEN YES, he is not in proper form for giving such a speech.

But again... I must ask this same question as I did above....IF it were a Jew giving such a "speech" it a varied audience, then ask is it biblical? I think it being generic (without including that bit about celebrating the Ramadan with the Muslims) then the "prayer" is okay.
But as soon as you included that fact that the prayer was follwed by an inclusion of celebrating WITH the Muslims what they call one of their holy days....AND the person gving the prayer claims to be Christian who is NOT of the "interfaith" "demonination" (yes it's a denomination, even though these people claim it is not) ... And I don't believe these people are true to the bible anyway... so my final answer after determining all those factors in this case.... is NO it is not biblical IF this person is celebrating another religions holy day with them.

The bible warns us of paganism.....of honoring other 'gods' and of practicing 'false' religion(s) .

May I have your ATTENTION please?
Udated to make corrections- Please Notice that:

[snipped]
... I snipped out the part where I wrote about Obama and Black Liberation Theology (wrongly thinking the prayer was spoken by him) because upon a second look at the OP I now see that prayer was spoken by a Brian McLaren who according to wkipedia is "Brian D. McLaren is a prominent, controversial voice in the emergent church movement" But mind you, that doesn't deter off of what I wrote about the various factors that were considered in my posting.
[ end explaining why I snipped part of my posting][/size]

Here is a statement I found made by Pat Robertson. (I know some people don't like him, but what he presents here IS TRUTH, and I think it says much about part of what this thread is about... that is...including other religions as if they are "equal" and are 'brothers'. As if their religious teachings are not any different? I hardly think they are equal let alone brothers of the same God as are Christians who follow after the teachings of JHVH GD and through Christ Jesus.

[Quote from cbn.com]
Under no circumstances is Jehovah, the God of the Bible, and Allah, of the Koran, the same. First of all, the God of the Bible is a God of love and redemption, who sent His Son into the world to die for our sins. Allah tells people to die for him in order to get salvation, but there is no understanding of salvation. Allah was the moon god from Mecca. That is why Islam has the crescent moon. The flag of Turkey has a crescent moon with a star in it. Well, the crescent moon is because Allah was the moon god, and that is the deal. But we don't serve a moon god. We serve the God of creation, the Creator of everything.

They are not the same. To translate Allah as God is wrong. When you see something in there and it says Allah, you translate it Allah. Don't call it God because it is different. God is Elohim. He is the Creator, the Jehovah God, Yahweh. Yahweh of the Old Testament was the Father who brought forth Jesus into the world.

[end quote]

Oh YOY!!!! , AND EVEN NOW I NOTICE...
that below this posting that I came to edit because of noticing who actually gave that speech, I NOW NOTICE that jason brought it to our attention that the word "sexually" is included in that speech! I did NOT notice that before....

Ed, Did you add more to the speech that was left out of it before? Because really, I DID NOT notice that word to be there originally..... I must not have had enough coffee this morning before I started to read. Sheesh! :o

And really! with that one word, "sexually", being in the speech, now that totally makes it wrong. But really even without that in the speech what I wrote above still stands.... and that being that even though I considered those various factors..... it still makes the speech out of line with the Judeo Christian standards of BIBLICAL perspective. :yes

Is there anything else that I may have missed? :shrug

Ed the Ned
the gifts that he offers all people, whatever their language, culture, religion, social standing, political affiliation(as in terrorism?), sexuality, gender, occupation, age, education, wealth, illness, abilities, intelligence, appearance, moral standing, affiliation, or name. I look forward today to joining with others in celebrating your grace and worshiping you in prayer, song, sermon, ritual, and silence. Alleluia!" - Brian Mclaren.
This is nothing but Universalism. Obviously haywire.
This will happen more and more...until Christians will finally be persecuted for their strong and proper beliefs. It is the way the world is headed.
Thank God for a final redemption. All these other things will be burned.

justvisiting said:
Ed the Ned
the gifts that he offers all people, whatever their language, culture, religion, social standing, political affiliation(as in terrorism?), sexuality, gender, occupation, age, education, wealth, illness, abilities, intelligence, appearance, moral standing, affiliation, or name. I look forward today to joining with others in celebrating your grace and worshiping you in prayer, song, sermon, ritual, and silence. Alleluia!" - Brian Mclaren.
This is nothing but Universalism. Obviously haywire.
This will happen more and more...until Christians will finally be persecuted for their strong and proper beliefs. It is the way the world is headed.
Thank God for a final redemption. All these other things will be burned.

OH, LORD HAVE MERCY! This guy Brian McLaren is really screwed up when it comes to his beliefs and who he preaches to others. This man is a danger to the preservation of the TRUTH of any type! He's so controversial it is alarming. And to see the influence he is making upon college aged kids... is something not to be taken lightly but MUST BE OPPOSED. This man is going about polluting the minds of our younger generation! I would not hesitate in urging all "Christians" who also believe this man is not any preacher worthy to be called a preacher! to join the movement to expose him for what he truly is. People MUST go ahead of him to give warnings, and go behind him in cleaning up the mess he's made in trying to influence these young college aged kids! I never heard of him before this thread was created by Ed the Ned. And to think! This Brian McLaren has been doing this since the mid-80's folks! As far as I'm concerned he is of the school of those perverters of the word no less differently than Donald Walsch with his so called Conversations with God ( as are interpreted by this quack! ) , and any of those new agers and progressive type preachers who think their NEW INTERPRETATIONS are it. Yes, justvisiting, They are nothing but of the Universalists, the Unitarian, and those who go under the guise of the "United Church of Christ"... All these UNITY type churches that practice and preach falsely and misinterpret the bible. They must be exposed for who they really are only people who bring this new age version of religion!

I'm pleading with everyone here.... Please! Listen folks these churches do more damage to naive people who want to come to know Christ... these people do nothing but teach garbage new age thinking type stuff. Please fight the good fight against them and help expose them for the false churches that they are.... share the news with everyone you know and help stamp out this movement. Your complacency will do nothing but to allow them to grow even more! If you don't join in on doing something about it then what good is your faith in showing work for the Lord... Faith without works is dead folks. You must help spread the news to expose these so called pastors and churches. I'm not saying to demand they be shut down... because with enough exposing of them, they will shut down on their own! But without your help.... they will just grow! So get off your left behind but's and get up and do your share of exposing them for what they are false teachings. Jesus did no less to expose those who were false preachers/teachers and in Revelation, the inspired word also exposes these false churches! Please, it is your obligation and duty to spread the word of this also.

Here is an excerpt from the wikipedia article in relation to the controversy attached to this person Brian McLaren:

• [quote from wikipedia]
    From the conservative wing of the emerging church movement Mark Driscoll has complained about McLaren's calling God a "chick," his advocacy of open theism, his downplaying of substitutionary atonement,[7] and his implicit denial of hell. Evangelicals who have criticized McLaren include John MacArthur,[8] Albert Mohler,[9] Michael Horton,[10] Millard Erickson, Norman Geisler, Ray Comfort,and D.A. Carson.[11] Carson has been particularly vocal in his criticism of McLaren's doctrinal views, saying "as kindly but as forcefully as I can, that to my mind, if words mean anything, both McLaren and [Steve] Chalke have largely abandoned the gospel" (D.A. Carson, Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church, (2005), p.186). You can hear Todd Friel on Wretched Radio criticism him also.
    [ end quote]

Spread the news-warnings folks! Don't just drop your jaw and do nothing!!! Pass the warnings along!!!

I'm done.... what is one voice here? I pray I've reached at least one of you to move on this. :gah Seems prayer is only affective if the Lord move you to do what needs to be done, rather than just sitting on that chair in front of your computer and not doing anything. How many people are in this forum and don't do a darn thing but read things on the computer without acting upon what they need to do in having an obligation and call to duty to do so? How many do you think just are lukewarm Christians? :sad This is urgent folks! We all need to get off our butts and help stamp out this movement before it grows like some horrendous weed that was neglected in your very own back yard!

It just breaks my heart to know that people are so lax in chipping in to do their part.

ED the NED... thank you for exposing this Brian McLaren creeepy man! :thumb I will do my part in helping to expose him and his cohorts even further!!!! The more people read about them and what they preach the more people will stay away from them.

Ed the Ned said:

I dunno. Does God offer Jesus to everyone regardless? I suppose everyone is free to "accept" the "offer," or not. If they do accept it, then I suppose they would change their "sexuality," "religion" etc. Lol. I guess, I dunno. Lol. ;) :biggrin

researcher said:
Ed the Ned said:

I dunno. Does God offer Jesus to everyone regardless? I suppose everyone is free to "accept" the "offer," or not. If they do accept it, then I suppose they would change their "sexuality," "religion" etc. Lol. I guess, I dunno. Lol. ;) :biggrin

Yep, I can see from that perspective also, but in seeing it from that perspective, perhaps you missed some things at first reading? I read the TWO postings Ed made this morning and AT first reading (I wasn't fully awake, not enough coffee) ... I had missed the part in the speech that included the word "sexuality" and the fact that it was written by an extremely controversial preacher named Brian McLaren (see links in one of the above postings I made) . But, I did consider the second posting Ed had presented which gave us more to think about in regard to the first posting... and it changed my perspective totally.

Here it is:

So researcher, Does this now change your perspective ?

Hey Relic.

I haven't heard about the author so I couldn't say anything about him. As for the "celebrating" Ramadan, I don't know. Paul became like the Jews and other people so that he could reach them with the gospel. I believe there is a vast amount of freedom regarding strategy in one's effort to reach the "lost" if you would.
I think we would have to know the person's heart i.e. "motive" for doing what he does in terms of "evangelizing."

I'll have to look up the author when I have a little time.

Thanks! ;) :biggrin

How is this for a quote form Brian Maclaren!
"...many Hindus are willing to consider Jesus as a legitimate manifestation of the divine... many Buddhists see Jesus as one of humanity’s most enlightened people.... A shared reappraisal of Jesus’ message could provide a unique space or common ground for urgently needed religious dialogueâ€â€and it doesn’t seem an exaggeration to say that the future of our planet may depend on such dialogue. This reappraisal of Jesus’ message may be the only project capable of saving a number of religions."

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back