Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Doubts about reported healings and supernatural accounts.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I guess if you have doubts then you will never receive yourself or do it to another person. I believed and was healed of hydrokephilis in a the night before surgery to have a shunt inserted into my head.I watched 2 amazed and relieved brain surgeons cancel an operation the next morning. i believed I was prayed over anointed and healed. praise god and to this day i can attest to gods healing power. It was by no means a trivial healing we are talking bout a painful operation and a shunt in my body and skull.

That's a great testimony.
My original post is not a doubt about Gods healing power, but many of mans accounts of it. A big difference.
You state that if a person doesnt believe then they cannot recieve a healing? Is that true? I thought it was up to the faith of the person praying and not the person recieving the healing? True?

I thought it was up to the faith of the person praying and not the person recieving the healing? True?

I think it's either both or just the faith of the one healed. Jesus said to a woman that had just been healed "Take heart, daughter," he said, "your faith has healed you." And the woman was healed from that moment." (Matt 9:22, NIV) In this case Jesus only mentioned the woman's faith, but I think we can all accept that Jesus himself had faith as well.

That's a great testimony.
My original post is not a doubt about Gods healing power, but many of mans accounts of it. A big difference.
You state that if a person doesnt believe then they cannot recieve a healing? Is that true? I thought it was up to the faith of the person praying and not the person recieving the healing? True?
it seems to me in the stories about Jesus and his healing work "Your faith has made you well" comes up frequently after a supernatural cleansing/ healing. I personally believe an expectation of a miraculous event in both those people healer & sick wil increase chances of it working

I reckon Lazarus displayed a heap of faith. :) Possibly the ten lepers did too, of only one who returned to thank Jesus. Not forgettingn the guy with a legeon of demons etc.
The point is that your statement that "I wont recieve healing", isnt quite right. True?
Besides my doubt is not in God or his healing power but in many of the reports made from loud and noisy stage show evangelists.

I reckon Lazarus displayed a heap of faith. :) Possibly the ten lepers did too, of only one who returned to thank Jesus. Not forgettingn the guy with a legeon of demons etc.

Hmmmm. Good points. Especially Lazarus certainly wouldn't have been very capable of making a decision to have faith while he was dead, would he?

The point is that your statement that "I wont recieve healing", isnt quite right. True?
Besides my doubt is not in God or his healing power but in many of the reports made from loud and noisy stage show evangelists.
I hope you didn't misunderstand me I meant that generally to doubters of faith healing. I have no idea about reports of healings vs success rates. If you need healing go for it. ask god and receive, another thing to do with healing I believe is this. Gods will for you may override your attempt if there is a reason we cant tell god what to do in attempting healings. ME anfd my mate tried this but before we started i really felt his sleeping problem that was making him pray more was something god was temporarily using to teach him something. I prayed for him with hands on him and nothing changed with him, either i dont have that gifting or god wouldn't allow healing then.

The main thing to that comes of healing someone is the alleviation of suffering but also that Christ is glorified through the act. it is a manifestation of the holy spirit and really requires faith. I suspect strongly a healer who attempts to take the credit for it may have little or no success in Christianity. Usually any people gifted in this area i have met are humble and looking to glorify god through alleviating suffering.

I am hearing you bout the hyped up instant cures on tv some of those might be wishful thinking I guess.

Anything i said is all i can say through my own experience of it and how it worked on me.

I know buddhists can do it too. they use some other method.

Ridiculous. :thud:
Okay so why dosen't god heal amputees? Or kill them for that fact. :erm I've never seen a person regrow an arm through prayer. I'm sure some of them are christian and pray for it.

Okay so why dosen't god heal amputees? Or kill them for that fact. :erm I've never seen a person regrow an arm through prayer. I'm sure some of them are christian and pray for it.
dunno there is a lot of people in the world over a long time maybe one did who knows?

God heals amputees if they are ill. Amputees have lost limbs, but that was part of their healing, and the means for preserving their lives. Thank God.

dunno there is a lot of people in the world over a long time maybe one did who knows?

One of my pastors reported watching an amputees limb grow back (on a mission's trip). :gah Can you imagine that? I would have :verysick

One of my pastors reported watching an amputees limb grow back (on a mission's trip). :gah Can you imagine that? I would have :verysick

If I could see that, I'd be dancing with joy! God is able and He is so in love with us!

Um, whether or not God would or could heal an amputees is a drop in the bucket compared to the work HE has done to heal our souls!

The greatest work HE has done and could ever do for us was done at the Cross! What's more important, healing an arm or leg or saving one's soul for eternity?

People place too much emphasis on the external:

1 Cor 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
1 Cor 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1 Cor 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

Be very careful when placing one's faith on signs and wonders.

John 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Um, whether or not God would or could heal an amputees is a drop in the bucket compared to the work HE has done to heal our souls!

The greatest work HE has done and could ever do for us was done at the Cross! What's more important, healing an arm or leg or saving one's soul for eternity?

People place too much emphasis on the external:

Be very careful when placing one's faith on signs and wonders.

John 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

So right!
thumbsup3.gif

Alabaster wrote
As far as discernment increasing for you, friend, I believe that you have replaced it with doubt, the opposite of faith.
Now that was a great and on time answer.

So right!
thumbsup3.gif

Thanks. It just bugs me sometimes when people, especially non believers, are always looking for empirical evidence for the existence of God. If I knew nothing of the miracles laid out for us in the NT and only had knowledge of God's plan of salvation for me, I would have still have come to salvation because it was HE that did the saving.

Those miracles were done for HIS chosen ones and yet they saw and still rejected Jesus. The Apostles were indwelled with the Holy Spirit as Pentecost and their response was to accuse them of being drunk!

I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand

My previous point was that I too have doubts about some healings, but my Faith does not hinge on any other miracle but the miracle of redemption. :pray

Thanks. It just bugs me sometimes when people, especially non believers, are always looking for empirical evidence for the existence of God.

Point them to Soren Kierkegaard. He is the OG existentialist and he says that God can be proven empirically, but you have to actually go and LOOK for Him. I find Soren can be a good way to bring people who are scientifically mind around. of course you can point out that a Being like God must exist (using the UNBEATABLE ontological argument) and then apply that because He is the greatest thing and most perfect thing He very well may not have any empirical value

I have been a Christian for 25 + years.
Over this time I have seen a LOT of claims of healings done in Jesus name.
Usually these healings cannot be proven and are of a trivial nature, like legs supposedly growing out etc.
Yet when it come to REAL needs like people having cancer etc, these healings are no where to be seen in my immediate life.
Though I do believe in God,and I do believe that He heals, all I can say that I have ever seen is cheap side show tricks by noisy "evangelists".

I have a friend who is ALWAYS advocating healings on Facebook, and for some reason it really annoys me because usually they are the phoney healings I earlier refered too.
Am I too synical these days, or has my discernment increased? Dillemma !!!

Hi, nothing happening today can be moved from the Theology Thread can it?? Or even End Time Theology??

Whatever?

--Elijah here:

First: There are many fakes! (not All!) Yet, are we not to find the 'Very Elect' [near] deception?

We ARE in the time of the END as 'i' see it. And that means that God has prophesied & [allowed] satan & crew (Matt. 24:21-30 or so) to do marvelous deceits. And we are in for this time. Note 2 Thess. 2. And ask yourselves when these things ACTUALLY take place, and one who is in Christ knows that the party is documented as false in their doctrines of.. just saying that of 7th Day Sabbath keeping on Sunday for worship, would any Christian go on the devils ground if they themselves needed some physical attention?? If so, THAT WILL BE A VERY BAD 'Elect' DECISION!

2 Thess. 2
[5] Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
[6] And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.
[7] For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

[8] And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
[9] Even him, whose coming [[is after]] the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
[10] And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

[11] And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
[12] That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Let me just add that Salvation finds the saved, saved by Moral Obedient Loving Principle, not excitement, or miracles or noise or drama nor EMOTION. All of this will be used for satans last stand as that IS where we are at, at present as it quickly accelerates.

But I noticed that -

"Thanks for your eagerness to pass judgement upon my genuine questions and time of difficulty.
This is not a Christian attribute.

But - You simply "blew off" the testimonies of healing that were presented. THAT speaks volumes about "intent", and real center of interest.

My Pastor was healed about 15 years ago of breast cancer, His Wife was instantly healed of an "Issue of Blood" during a meeting where John Kilpatrick (Brownsville revival) stopped in his sermon and said - "Receive your healing" - and went back to the message.

There was a 23 year old fellow in my bible study in '74 or so that had been sent home to die from a bone cancer that was in the final stages - we prayed, and watched Him recover, and be pronounced cancer free. 5 years ago he was a deacon in the AoG in St Mary's Ohio.

Our Youth Pastor at DeSoto AoG was in hospice days from death from stage 4 testicular cancer 5 years ago - and after preayer simply got better, and is cancer free.

SO God heals - cancers and other SERIOUS physical issues.

SO what if there are "phony healers"???

My daughter just came home a few minutes ago and told me she went for healing last weekend in obedience to God who told her He wanted to heal her of it. She had this ailment for over three years, and tonight it is gone.

All glory to God through Jesus Christ!

Back