Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

E Reader Advise, I cant decide which one to buy!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
:wave

I want a ereader purpley for reading purposes I think if I am allowed to add music, games, yahoo messenger Ill never use the device for what it is actually made for! So My question is..

Nook?
Kindle?
Kindle Fire?

if you own any of these & use it on a regular basis can you tell me what you love / hate about it?

I would be using this device indoors & outdoors I know for a fact that the lcd screens SUCK in the sunlight I have a terrible time with my phone in the daylight as it is. Just wondering which way I should go.

Thankies.

I'd be interested in feedback on this as well... I'd like to get one as soon as finances make it feasible...

I would recommend the Kindle. The Nook is pretty nice, but the kindle marketplace on amazon is pretty nifty. Four under 100 dollars you can have an ereader with tons of free books and cheap books at your disposal. The Kindle Fire is nice, but its an Ipad light and if I would suggest a tablet I would recommend just going all out on an Ipad or the 10 inch Accer.

The Kindle sounds about right for what you are looking for. My Grandfather has it and loves it.

I can only tell you my experience with the Nook. I have it for a year and a half now and love it. That said, I only use it to surf the web in bed, or to download free reading material. People think I'm nuts not downloading a book from B & N, but I found the best reading material is free! It also has other apps you can download and this came with chess that I play once in awhile.

This thing can surf the web well, watch videos, emails even answer to this forum! My only gripe are two things:

1) since this is a touch screen, I often fat finger between two links and get the wrong link. But not to worry. At least you can accidentally go on the worst site with this thing and not worry about a "drive-by virus" like Microsoft gets since it runs the viral free Android OS. With Microsoft, you probably would fry your device or computer for the night.
2) I don't know how Kindle is, but Nook does not handle web pages with frames at all. Let's say a web site has 3 frames. It does not know which to scroll, so you only see the top of the web page, and you cannot scroll it down making the site totally useless. However, only inexperienced people use such web page designs and major, reputable sites are not designed that way. Back in my HTML class days, we were told this is a bad way to design a web site anyway due to the fact there are issues --- if one for example, google's such a site, they may come up with only one of the frames. It's sort of like meeting half a person! :lol)

Overall, these are not major issues and in my "book" makes for a very good E reader--- My Nook book!

I would recommend the Kindle. The Nook is pretty nice, but the kindle marketplace on amazon is pretty nifty. Four under 100 dollars you can have an ereader with tons of free books and cheap books at your disposal. The Kindle Fire is nice, but its an Ipad light and if I would suggest a tablet I would recommend just going all out on an Ipad or the 10 inch Accer.

The Kindle sounds about right for what you are looking for. My Grandfather has it and loves it.

Awesome thanks for the advice!! I saw a nook yesterday in Target looked pretty cool but trying to figure it out was a bit confusing...Ill have to take a look at the kindle I loveeeee Amazon!

I can only tell you my experience with the Nook. I have it for a year and a half now and love it. That said, I only use it to surf the web in bed, or to download free reading material. People think I'm nuts not downloading a book from B & N, but I found the best reading material is free! It also has other apps you can download and this came with chess that I play once in awhile.

This thing can surf the web well, watch videos, emails even answer to this forum! My only gripe are two things:

1) since this is a touch screen, I often fat finger between two links and get the wrong link. But not to worry. At least you can accidentally go on the worst site with this thing and not worry about a "drive-by virus" like Microsoft gets since it runs the viral free Android OS. With Microsoft, you probably would fry your device or computer for the night.
2) I don't know how Kindle is, but Nook does not handle web pages with frames at all. Let's say a web site has 3 frames. It does not know which to scroll, so you only see the top of the web page, and you cannot scroll it down making the site totally useless. However, only inexperienced people use such web page designs and major, reputable sites are not designed that way. Back in my HTML class days, we were told this is a bad way to design a web site anyway due to the fact there are issues --- if one for example, google's such a site, they may come up with only one of the frames. It's sort of like meeting half a person! :lol)

Overall, these are not major issues and in my "book" makes for a very good E reader--- My Nook book!

Thanks for the advice!! I have been trying the nook out nut for personal reasons my mom actually nicked named me nook so I thought it would be cute if I had one...LOL but as I mentioned above I tried to use one in target & kinda had a hard time...Im gonna keep shopping and try them both out. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back