Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Earth, not Heaven

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
So that everyone knows the OP is not a new idea but rather a very old understanding of Scripture, in fact it is the original understanding. Here is a quote from Ienaeus. Irenaeus was a disciple of Polycarp a disciple of John.

Chapter 32. — In that flesh in which the saints have suffered so many afflictions, they shall receive the fruits of their labours; especially since all creation waits for this, and God promises it to Abraham and his seed.
1. Inasmuch, therefore, as the opinions of certain [orthodox persons] are derived from heretical discourses, they are both ignorant of God’s dispensations, and of the mystery of the resurrection of the just, and of the [earthly] kingdom which is the commencement of incorruption, by means of which kingdom those who shall be worthy are accustomed gradually to partake of the divine nature (capere Deum ); and it is necessary to tell them respecting those things, that it behoves the righteous first to receive the promise of the inheritance which God promised to the fathers, and to reign in it, when they rise again to behold God in this creation which is renovated, and that the judgment should take place afterwards. For it is just that in that very creation in which they toiled or were afflicted, being proved in every way by suffering, they should receive the reward of their suffering; and that in the creation in which they were slain because of their love to God, in that they should be revived again; and that in the creation in which they endured servitude, in that they should reign. For God is rich in all things, and all things are His. It is fitting, therefore, that the creation itself, being restored to its primeval condition, should without restraint be under the dominion of the righteous; and the apostle has made this plain in the Epistle to the Romans, when he thus speaks: “For the expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God. For the creature has been subjected to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope; since the creature itself shall also be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the sons of God.”

2. Thus, then, the promise of God, which He gave to Abraham, remains stedfast. For thus He said: “Lift up thine eyes, and look from this place where now thou art, towards the north and south, and east and west. For all the earth which thou seest, I will give to thee and to thy seed, even for ever.” And again He says, “Arise, and go through the length and breadth of the land, since I will give it unto thee;” and [yet] he did not receive an inheritance in it, not even a footstep, but was always a stranger and a pilgrim therein. And upon the death of Sarah his wife, when the Hittites were willing to bestow upon him a place where he might bury her, he declined it as a gift, but bought the burying-place (giving for it four hundred talents of silver) from Ephron the son of Zohar the Hittite. Thus did he await patiently the promise of God, and was unwilling to appear to receive from men, what God had promised to give him, when He said again to him as follows: “I will give this land to thy seed, from the river of Egypt even unto the great river Euphrates.” If, then, God promised him the inheritance of the land, yet he did not receive it during all the time of his sojourn there, it must be, that together with his seed, that is, those who fear God and believe in Him, he shall receive it at the resurrection of the just. For his seed is the Church, which receives the adoption to God through the Lord, as John the Baptist said: “For God is able from the stones to raise up children to Abraham.” Thus also the apostle says in the Epistle to the Galatians: “But ye, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of the promise.” And again, in the same Epistle, he plainly declares that they who have believed in Christ do receive Christ, the promise to Abraham thus saying, “The promises were spoken to Abraham, and to his seed. Now He does not say, And of seeds, as if [He spake] of many, but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.” And again, confirming his former words, he says, “Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. Know ye therefore, that they which are of faith are the children of Abraham. But the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, declared to Abraham beforehand, That in thee shall all nations be blessed. So then they which are of faith shall be blessed with faithful Abraham.” Thus, then, they who are of faith shall be blessed with faithful Abraham, and these are the children of Abraham. Now God made promise of the earth to Abraham and his seed; yet neither Abraham nor his seed, that is, those who are justified by faith, do now receive any inheritance in it; but they shall receive it at the resurrection of the just. For God is true and faithful; and on this account He said, “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.”

Early Church Fathers - – Ante-Nicene Fathers: The Writings of the Fathers Down To A.D. 325.

Not a problem here Butch...I also believe the New Earth is our ultimate destiny, but when we (those who die IN CHRIST) pass from here (before the Parousia but after the resurrection), I believe we go to be in the presence of the Lord until that time (and He is seated on the right hand of the Father). But ultimately? Yes I agree that position is the most Biblical...the idea we go "to heaven" for eternity is an idea that came out of Catholic theology...but I do not see it in the Bible

Not a problem here Butch...I also believe the New Earth is our ultimate destiny, but when we (those who die IN CHRIST) pass from here (before the Parousia but after the resurrection), I believe we go to be in the presence of the Lord until that time (and He is seated on the right hand of the Father). But ultimately? Yes I agree that position is the most Biblical...the idea we go "to heaven" for eternity is an idea that came out of Catholic theology...but I do not see it in the Bible

Hi Paul,

I think our differences are in what a man is. However, we are in agreement as to the final destination of the believer. I believe the Heavenly Destiny doctrine stems from Gerrk Philosophy, I believe that is where the Catholic Church got it.

Hi Paul,

I think our differences are in what a man is. However, we are in agreement as to the final destination of the believer. I believe the Heavenly Destiny doctrine stems from Gerrk Philosophy, I believe that is where the Catholic Church got it.

You are probably correct on that one Butch...but do you agree that when a person is truly born from above they are a new creature in Christ, in the world but no longer of it?

This is interesting and I just got finished with a Bible study with my dad on the subject of heaven. This evening we discussed the New Jerusalem. The New Jerusalem is described in Revelation 21:16 as being in the shape of a cube that measures 12,000 furlongs on each side. A furlong is 1,500 miles. That would make the base of the city 2 million square miles!

This is interesting and I just got finished with a Bible study with my dad on the subject of heaven. This evening we discussed the New Jerusalem. The New Jerusalem is described in Revelation 21:16 as being in the shape of a cube that measures 12,000 furlongs on each side. A furlong is 1,500 miles. That would make the base of the city 2 million square miles!
It is not the surface that we will be standing on that is the shape of a cube but the perimeters that is that shape.

You are probably correct on that one Butch...but do you agree that when a person is truly born from above they are a new creature in Christ, in the world but no longer of it?

Hi Paul,

I do but I'm not sure we understand that passage the same way. I understand Paul to be saying we make ourselves new by changing our behavior.

Hi Jeff,

As I understand it the New Jerusalem will be the present Jerusalem restored.

Now surely this is a thread for strange biblical thoughts.
Ezekiel 9:4
4. And The Lord said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.

These people are to be spared from death, and sent into dispersion.
Ezekiel 11:16
Though in dispersion they will have a little sanctuary among the countries.

The comparison with the New Jerusalem is great. If we confess our sins and open the door Revelation 3:20 He will come in to us. All of a sudden the expanse of our thinking becomes the mind of Christ. No matter where our feet trod, we have Jesus sitting on the right hand of the Father; making intercession for us. Paul on missionary journeys practices this concept (in storm or fair weather).

We learn to be content with all situations. And in the end eternal life. It just is beyond my mind to see NT concepts in Ezekiel. Of course you have to let the ox be the bishop to accomplish these thoughts.

eddif

In this thread I’d like to make the case for the land inheritance. May believe that the believer will spend eternity in Heaven but that isn’t what the Scriptures teach. The hope of the Christian is the land inheritance promised to Abraham.

I agree, The Nicene Creed even states "I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come."

The Christian hope is for resurrection and eternal life, not a spirit life in heaven.

Hi Paul,

I do but I'm not sure we understand that passage the same way. I understand Paul to be saying we make ourselves new by changing our behavior.

Yes I see we have a difference here....I see it as the Scriptures call it "regeneration"...actually becoming a new creature...a new order of being...no longer of the order of Adam (one of the sons of men) but NOW we ARE the sons of God (beni-Elohim). Yes we still have a body residue of the old man, but he has been crucified with Christ (It is already a done deed in the eternal but in the temporal it will not be realized/actualized until the resurrection) therefore reckon yourself dead unto sin. In other words, this Old Man has already been judged, found guilty, condemned and dealt with once and for all (he has been nailed to the cross with Christ)...the life I now live is Christ in me the hope of glory. I am NOW a partaker of the divine nature...a child of the living God (not figuratively but actually born of HIS Spirit)...for me spiritually it is a present reality though physically it is a future hope (eager expectation of that I have been assured of by Him who is faithful who will also do it).

Hebrews 11:10
10. For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

Not a physical city, but a creation of God. The New Jerusalem has angels at the gates and is built on foundations containing the names of the 12 apostles.

Revelation 21:23
The New Jerusalem has no need of the sun or moon.

IMHO the New Jerusalem seems more spiritual than physical.

We are the dwelling place of God. He comes into us. We are not perfect yet; just as Israel was not perfect when Jesus was on earth.

Physical Jerusalem was a shadow of things to come.

eddif

Yes I see we have a difference here....I see it as the Scriptures call it "regeneration"...actually becoming a new creature...a new order of being...no longer of the order of Adam (one of the sons of men) but NOW we ARE the sons of God (beni-Elohim). Yes we still have a body residue of the old man, but he has been crucified with Christ (It is already a done deed in the eternal but in the temporal it will not be realized/actualized until the resurrection) therefore reckon yourself dead unto sin. In other words, this Old Man has already been judged, found guilty, condemned and dealt with once and for all (he has been nailed to the cross with Christ)...the life I now live is Christ in me the hope of glory. I am NOW a partaker of the divine nature...a child of the living God (not figuratively but actually born of HIS Spirit)...for me spiritually it is a present reality though physically it is a future hope (eager expectation of that I have been assured of by Him who is faithful who will also do it).

Yeah, we're far apart on that passage. I see all active verbs in the passage meaning that the one who is the new creation is the one doing the action of the verbs, thus we are changing ourselves. If the verbs were passive I'd be more apt to lean your way.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back