Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Ecclesiastes, A Bible Study by Chopper & Reba.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Rollo Tamasi what do you understand the word literal to mean?
This book is written in a poetic style Which i understand the words are not always LITERAL but we should grasp the literal meaning.. the words are descriptive
po·et·ic
pōˈedik/
adjective
  1. of, relating to, or used in poetry.
    "the muse is a poetic convention"
    synonyms: poetical, verse, metrical, lyrical, lyric, elegiac
    "poetic compositions"
Poetry, eloquence, and truth are words that go together in this book.
If you feel verse 5 is poetry, it should also have eloquence and truth within it.

Ahhh yes, Ecclesiastes...the most nihilistic book of The Bible, lol.

I was into Ecclesiastes just before I (miraculously) managed to get for real saved. I read somewhere...and I agree...that Eccelisiastes points out the emptiness of life w/o Christ. Its sort of...a book anybody can relate to, especially after age 25 or so. Christians, of course, can then see how Christ provides the only real answer to the seemingly meaningless tragicomedy of life.

Rollo Tamasi what do you understand the word literal to mean?
This book is written in a poetic style Which i understand the words are not always LITERAL but we should grasp the literal meaning.. the words are descriptive
po·et·ic
pōˈedik/
adjective
  1. of, relating to, or used in poetry.
    "the muse is a poetic convention"
    synonyms: poetical, verse, metrical, lyrical, lyric, elegiac
    "poetic compositions"
Easy Teach, English Lit. was why I failed eighth grade english.

It's not a science lesson. It's a spiritual lesson in the futility of life.
Correct. But it is the futility of life as a natural man -- outside of Christ. It is significant that Solomon repeats the phrase "under the sun" throughout indicating that this is life as natural man lives it on earth. The best that man can do by himself is all vanity. It is only while serving God and Christ that we find genuine and eternal significance to our lives.

For example, we have this statement (Eccl 1:15):That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting cannot be numbered. Applying this to a crook, it is very true that most felons continue on with their felony after they have been released from prison. But if they meet Christ while in prison, the crooked can be made straight by God's grace and power.

Others might and some will disagree but I am led to feel these verses are to be taken literally. I do not control here or anywhere these days but, mostly from Thompson's Cross References, I know that the Bible is all tied together.

As men we have, vainly, given credit to the scribes God used for the works by attaching their names to the sections God inspired/dictated for them to transcribe that we might learn. Some will benifit from your tying the scriptures in other works together with this book. But perhaps Chopper and reba feel diffently?

I have found various ways the Bible can be interpreted. Personally? I take the words literally unless it's obvious that it's not to be taken that way. I rely totally on the Holy Spirit, otherwise my flesh mind is not equipped to understand spiritual things. I know that a lot of folk say they depend on the Holy Spirit, but in my case, He know that I depend on Him.

Hey Bill, you doing Ok? Are you confined to a bed?

I have found various ways the Bible can be interpreted. Personally? I take the words literally unless it's obvious that it's not to be taken that way. I rely totally on the Holy Spirit, otherwise my flesh mind is not equipped to understand spiritual things. I know that a lot of folk say they depend on the Holy Spirit, but in my case, He know that I depend on Him.

Hey Bill, you doing Ok? Are you confined to a bed?
Yeah for all but 3 to 4 hours a day. I have found a working formula for the Opiod induced constipation. I was give a red stool softner to take twice a day and the VA also has me on a synthetic mother's milk, Lactulos or something similar in name but my dosage has gone to high and it quit working. I, on my own, added two heaping teaspoons of Miralax and slowly puled that beck until I use one rounded teaspoon plus my scripts and that releaved a great deal of the pain caused by the OIC. I feel good enough that I talked Deeter into allowing me to buy a Raspberry Pi 2 single board computer for 35 and now I am looking for people to restore photos for to get another fifty so I have all I need to put the Raspberry into service as a personal Cloud accessible only from my home network. I feel a god bit better.

And you?

You came up or at least live close enough to me that you should know about Nuns, other Christian Women Teachers and rulers, behave you-self before you get her on both of us.
Lol, Mother Superior would come in the classroom at the end of the day, give some kid a 5 minute head start and then let us all out and say "go sic em'".
We'd run after him like we were gonna kill him but she always gave a big enough head start so he'd get away.
Yeah, the good ol days.
9ec3cf568865e223c72384f8bbfb13d1.jpg

Lol, Mother Superior would come in the classroom at the end of the day, give some kid a 5 minute head start and then let us all out and say "go sic em'".
We'd run after him like we were gonna kill him but she always gave a big enough head start so he'd get away.
Yeah, the good ol days.
9ec3cf568865e223c72384f8bbfb13d1.jpg
Yup, I remember. We had the Civil War Cemetery and the Gringos, the Blacks and the Latinos would all stake out their territory inside and we would fight. And you let somebody from elsewhere come into the neighborhood and whip someone and every one of us was going together to show the what for. We could whip one another but don't you whip nobody from our neighborhood, you did not have that right. I wish the kids today could learn that. We had, what stupid people call, interracial marriages early on. And if you messed with them we would hurt you. Marriage was special and w knew that early.

At the request of Dear Angel, Reba and I would like to present a Bible Study on this wonderful Book of Ecclesiastes with the hope that all our Bible Study family joins in. Folks who have not yet joined one of CF.net's Studies, Reba & I extend a warm welcome to join us with your thoughts and nuggets of Truth.

The writer is none other than Solomon, the King of Jerusalem, and of all Israel since there were no divisions as of yet.

Ecclesiastes 1:1 "The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.
1:2 Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher, vanity of vanities! All is vanity.
1:3 What does man gain by all the toil at which he toils under the sun?
1:4 A generation goes, and a generation comes, but the earth remains forever.
1:5 The sun rises, and the sun goes down, and hastens to the place where it rises.
1:6 The wind blows to the south and goes around to the north; around and around goes the wind, and on its circuits the wind returns.
1:7 All streams run to the sea, but the sea is not full; to the place where the streams flow, there they flow again.
1:8 All things are full of weariness; a man cannot utter it; the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.
1:9 What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun.
1:10 Is there a thing of which it is said, "See, this is new"? It has been already in the ages before us.
1:11 There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.
1:12 I the Preacher have been king over Israel in Jerusalem."

I see, as the result of Solomon's request in response to God's question of what He could do for King Solomon, great wisdom in dealing with God's people was the result. Unfortunately, Solomon cast wisdom aside to gather to himself many women from foreign lands to satisfy his inner flesh needs which led to idolatry which weakened this great Leader.

Later, Solomon repented of his sins of idolatry before the people and other Leaders and thus comes his sermon, if you will, about the pure vanity of seeking that which is not of, or from, our Holy God.

Lets take off from here on a fun voyage thru the words of this Preacher Solomon, the King of Israel.

Alive In Jesus
Chopper

recess is over back to class

1:9 What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun.

What does this mean exactly? Technology is new under the sun.

The words of wisdom are sought after and too often, when found, rejected. Without thinking I have often fibbed and said all that made sense to me before I was saved was the first three chapters of John but the truth is Proverbs and this book of Wisdom was easily read.

This opening passage did not, as a Lost Man, please me but as much as it distressed me it marked the recognition a universal issue with me and the rest oif mankind, vainity!

Like so much of my generation I wanted to be different... special and so it was that I wore pegged Blue Jeans, pegged so tight they needed zippers to get my feet through them.

To be different I grew my DA, flipped the back of my shirt collar up and smoked cigaretts as I strolled along in my Penny Loafers. I was Mister Cool and there were none like me.

Even the Army did not cure my vanity, no, it took my turning and complete submission to the hand of God. Only then did I begin to try ridding myself of this issue through prayer and study.

If the Church coiuld rid itself of this issue, the church, with a small c, I believe nothing would be impossible for us. But the 0problem is why we cannot rid the Church of it, maddening.

I used to run with street punks, and I thought I was awesome. I had a multicolored mohawk, several piercings, cool clothes, popular friends.
How stupid! Now? I don't want to stand out. I don't want to drink or use. I am extremely careful about the people I let in my life. And I value God over vanity. Sometimes the world teases me, but if I do get mixed in I get out asap.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back