Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Embryonic Stem Cell Research

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
E

elijah23

Is it okay to kill human embryos in the name of scientific research? Personally, I believe it is repugnant. However, maybe you feel differently.

For me the question is, is the person just a cell, or the accumulation of multiple cells?

Unlike abortion, embryonic stem cell research is just fertilizing the egg and harvesting the stem cells soon after. So the embryo hasn't even had a chance to form organs or a full human form.

Also, if the cells are used to treat an illness, the cells where never killed, but where allowed to live in the new person.

My thoughts on the matter.

Question is moot. Stem cells can be created from non-embryonic sources now. It actually works better anyhow when you use cells from the patient themselves.

Takahashi, K., et al (2007). Induction of pluripotent stem cells from fibroblast cultures. Nature Protocols 2:12

Among many others.

Question is moot. Stem cells can be created from non-embryonic sources now. It actually works better anyhow when you use cells from the patient themselves.

Takahashi, K., et al (2007). Induction of pluripotent stem cells from fibroblast cultures. Nature Protocols 2:12

Among many others.

Hey, i've met Kazutoshi Takahashi, at Kyoto uni back in 2010. Funny little guy.

Stem cells are usually harvested before the egg develops into anything recognizable as a human. Even when nearly developed fetuses supposedly don't have a functioning brain, so when a human becomes "alive" is another endless argument that is even more complicated when you bring souls into the mix.

It's been mentioned before but stem cells can be harvested other ways, so this specific issue does become less important.

Abortion on the other hand...

I think easing the restrictions on adopting those Embryo's would be a more fruitful effort in giving them a chance at life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't make any sense to me, like most of the things the world does.

Well, as has already been pointed out, we can harvest the cells through alternative means now so it's all moot as DHR said.

Back