Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Experiencing God

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Jesse

Last week, my study group started talking about experiencing God, and having a deep desire to do so, basically a relationship that goes deeper and deeper with Him. Common sense would tell us the further we go, the more we experience Him. This is what I’ve been thinking, we all want something more tangible, not necessarily something that God does, but the relationship itself.

We have friends, siblings our spouses that we can walk, talk and laugh together, we share one another’s thoughts, we study together, other times we just hang out and not do much, it’s the “being” together that constitutes the relationship. Even being on this forum, I have developed some great relationships with people. With these friendships we are in the presence of one another.

Isn’t this what we’re looking for in our relationship with God? Many might limit their relationship with Him by only reading the Bible or praying, that this would somehow constitute a relationship, but there has to be more. Does just reading the Bible allow us to experience Him for ourselves? We can read it and see that yes, people had a relationship with God that we might desire, Abraham walked with God, Moses spoke to God – this is the relationship, I’m talking about! He wants us to experience Him this way, imo.

If we don’t believe we can have a relationship like this, then we won’t have one, after all, it is the faith and desire we must have in order for it to develop into this. The relationship like this will take God from a mere concept to an actual REAL LIVE person and it might be a little weird for some people.

With this kind of relationship our responsibility also shifts – and I’m assuming some people might think this is difficult OR their desire is not there – in order to maintain this relationship, there are things to consider, like obedience, trust, repentance, waiting on Him and really, really making Him the Lord of our lives, putting Him FIRST in our life – and this is not always easy to do!

It seems it’s much easier to believe in the concept than to have the actual relationship, one that is deepening and growing.

What do you all have to say – are we going off the deep end here? Lol

Thanks.

I'd say that a relationship with God is definitely more than praying and reading routinely--I think these things are an important part of it and keeping it up, though.
I have been closer to God in the past than I am now. Trying to get back there.

I'd say that a relationship with God is definitely more than praying and reading routinely--I think these things are an important part of it and keeping it up, though.
I have been closer to God in the past than I am now. Trying to get back there.
I definitely hear what you're saying and it is us who determines how close we are to God. Agree about praying and reading, too, it is a way God communicates with us, also
I'll be praying for you Quest - that you will have a heart on fire for Him!!

Last week, my study group started talking about experiencing God, and having a deep desire to do so, basically a relationship that goes deeper and deeper with Him. Common sense would tell us the further we go, the more we experience Him. This is what I’ve been thinking, we all want something more tangible, not necessarily something that God does, but the relationship itself.

We have friends, siblings our spouses that we can walk, talk and laugh together, we share one another’s thoughts, we study together, other times we just hang out and not do much, it’s the “being” together that constitutes the relationship. Even being on this forum, I have developed some great relationships with people. With these friendships we are in the presence of one another.

Isn’t this what we’re looking for in our relationship with God? Many might limit their relationship with Him by only reading the Bible or praying, that this would somehow constitute a relationship, but there has to be more. Does just reading the Bible allow us to experience Him for ourselves? We can read it and see that yes, people had a relationship with God that we might desire, Abraham walked with God, Moses spoke to God – this is the relationship, I’m talking about! He wants us to experience Him this way, imo.

If we don’t believe we can have a relationship like this, then we won’t have one, after all, it is the faith and desire we must have in order for it to develop into this. The relationship like this will take God from a mere concept to an actual REAL LIVE person and it might be a little weird for some people.

With this kind of relationship our responsibility also shifts – and I’m assuming some people might think this is difficult OR their desire is not there – in order to maintain this relationship, there are things to consider, like obedience, trust, repentance, waiting on Him and really, really making Him the Lord of our lives, putting Him FIRST in our life – and this is not always easy to do!

It seems it’s much easier to believe in the concept than to have the actual relationship, one that is deepening and growing.

Thanks.
Jesse, does the bible really say "relationship"?

Jesse, does the bible really say "relationship"?
Just as Jesus had a close relationship with His disciples, it is the same with us, he also wants to walk with us.

I could have used the word "friend" as Jesus called us in John 15:15 "....I have called you friends" said Jesus.

Could have used the word "brother", "father", doesn't really matter - it's just easier to use the all encompassing word "relationship".

Just as Jesus had a close relationship with His disciples, it is the same with us, he also wants to walk with us.

I could have used the word "friend" as Jesus called us in John 15:15 "....I have called you friends" said Jesus.

Could have used the word "brother", "father", doesn't really matter - it's just easier to use the all encompassing word "relationship".
Yes it is a all encompassing word.

Im closer to God now than I have ever been and I havent read the entire bible yet but I feel one with him .Its amazing to feel so perfect yet be a total mess in reality but I know that this is him making me feel so complete.Being still and quiet and just letting him envelope me and talk to me oh man I just wish I would have known this so long ago.Heaven on earth it is.

Im closer to God now than I have ever been and I havent read the entire bible yet but I feel one with him .Its amazing to feel so perfect yet be a total mess in reality but I know that this is him making me feel so complete.Being still and quiet and just letting him envelope me and talk to me oh man I just wish I would have known this so long ago.Heaven on earth it is.
That's awesome bonnie! I know exactly what you're talking about. I think because of His lovingkindness towards us we want to be be closer to Him, we want to obey, we don't want to do anything that would offend Him even though we are a mess sometimes. It's that one place where we can feel secure, safe and unconditionally loved.

Thanks.

To me it is not just a concept. It is a life long goal to be so engrafted into the vine that no one will see me but that people would see just Jesus. People say that those who choose to walk, talk, live, breathe, eat, and sleep Jesus are extreme. But i say this is not the time to not be totally sold out, and extreme for Jesus. Many people of the world say go big or go home, well i am going big and then when my purpose on this earth is fulfilled i will gladly go home to be with my Lord! The Bible says that whatever you put into this relationship, and walk with God is what you will get out of it.
No relationship is easy. Just ask all the divorced people out there or even those who have been married for 50 years. But what we have to search for within ourselves is, is our relationship with the Father worth it? Is choosing to obey Him, and His ways worth it? Is choosing life and life Words, worth it? Or would we rather choose the widely traveled path that the world takes, just to be accepted by the world, which leads to death. Spiritual first and then physical. Jesus clearly spelled out the requirements of being a true follower, so that we can count the cost. And if we look at his last day before being brutally beaten, and humiliated and then nailed to the cross, are we willing to crucify our own worldly desires to follow in His footsteps? I am! I say yes Sir i am Yours to command, where shall I go? I trust Him completely that no matter where i am sent He will take wonderful care of me! I take Him at His Word, and choose to believe every Word of it, even if my understanding needs to be developed some. All i have to do is ask, and He will answer.
Peace to you all!

Jesse Hi,
It sounds like you are on the road to His heart and I urge you to not ever stop.
The limits to a "relationship" with God are endless and priceless BUT you have to go after it with your whole heart.
Out side of Faith you can NOT please God.
Faith in Him and in Jesus and His word. Faith that what His word says it is the final authority. Doing what His word says to do as well.
Faith comes by hearing and hearing of the word...So yea reading and listeining to His word being taught is a key factor in this but NOT the only one. Prayer time with the Father and I am not talking about a now I lay me down to sleep prayer every now and again....Talk to God with His word and about His word. Spend much time worshiping and praising Him. Here is one, have you ever just simply gone to Him in prayer and asked Him nothing or to do something for you and just spent a good quality time telling HIm how thankful you are to Him and how much you love Him and so forth ? If NOT.....be prepared to experience Him in a brand new level...That never goes un noticed.

There is so much in having a relationship with GOD. The more you work at it and put into it, well the more He gives back and YOU will NOT ever give more to God then He gives back...You keep going after His heart and you will find it and thats when you will cary on conversations and out of the BLUE HER HIM CALL YOU or ask you a question.
All I can say is this...........if you have what it takes then GO FOR IT....YOU WONT EVER BE DISDAPOINTED.
Remember though, just like any other relationship, how you trteat it and how you value it can and will determin how strong it becomes......
Well that's what I wanted to say.....:sohappy
Be Blessed Brother Jesse
Jim

To me it is not just a concept. It is a life long goal to be so engrafted into the vine that no one will see me but that people would see just Jesus. People say that those who choose to walk, talk, live, breathe, eat, and sleep Jesus are extreme. But i say this is not the time to not be totally sold out, and extreme for Jesus. Many people of the world say go big or go home, well i am going big and then when my purpose on this earth is fulfilled i will gladly go home to be with my Lord! The Bible says that whatever you put into this relationship, and walk with God is what you will get out of it.
No relationship is easy. Just ask all the divorced people out there or even those who have been married for 50 years. But what we have to search for within ourselves is, is our relationship with the Father worth it? Is choosing to obey Him, and His ways worth it? Is choosing life and life Words, worth it? Or would we rather choose the widely traveled path that the world takes, just to be accepted by the world, which leads to death. Spiritual first and then physical. Jesus clearly spelled out the requirements of being a true follower, so that we can count the cost. And if we look at his last day before being brutally beaten, and humiliated and then nailed to the cross, are we willing to crucify our own worldly desires to follow in His footsteps? I am! I say yes Sir i am Yours to command, where shall I go? I trust Him completely that no matter where i am sent He will take wonderful care of me! I take Him at His Word, and choose to believe every Word of it, even if my understanding needs to be developed some. All i have to do is ask, and He will answer.
Peace to you all!
This is awesome, thanks.
I've heard people turn away from God because He didn't answer their prayers and I'm thinking this is exactly what was missing in their lives with Him - a relationship. It's one that will cost us the most, I think. I can see how, in a relationships, in order for it to work, the two need to be selfless.

A relationship with God should be the norm for believers.

If we are Jesus' sheep, we will hear His voice (John 10:27). If someone loves Jesus and keeps His word, He and His Father will come to him and live with him (John 14:23). The Holy Spirit teaches us and brings to mind what Jesus said (John 14:26). The Holy Spirit bears internal witness to us that we are children of God (Romans 8:16). The Holy Spirit will be as an fountain of eternal life in the believer (John 4:14 + John 7:38-39). The Holy Spirit is a 'seal' in our hearts guaranteeing that God will fulfill His promises to us (2 Corinthians 1:21-22).

All of these verses speak of a real, personally verifiable relationship with God. They are not doctrinal statements we are to trust in but never experience.

A relationship with God should be the norm for believers.

If we are Jesus' sheep, we will hear His voice (John 10:27). If someone loves Jesus and keeps His word, He and His Father will come to him and live with him (John 14:23). The Holy Spirit teaches us and brings to mind what Jesus said (John 14:26). The Holy Spirit bears internal witness to us that we are children of God (Romans 8:16). The Holy Spirit will be as an fountain of eternal life in the believer (John 4:14 + John 7:38-39). The Holy Spirit is a 'seal' in our hearts guaranteeing that God will fulfill His promises to us (2 Corinthians 1:21-22).

All of these verses speak of a real, personally verifiable relationship with God. They are not doctrinal statements we are to trust in but never experience.
Thanks for the verses, Andy!

I think if God is not doing something in our lives, then something is amiss.

This is awesome, thanks.
I've heard people turn away from God because He didn't answer their prayers and I'm thinking this is exactly what was missing in their lives with Him - a relationship. It's one that will cost us the most, I think. I can see how, in a relationships, in order for it to work, the two need to be selfless.

Ya know i think that sometimes we forget to ask God what His plans are for our lives, and then pray accordingly. Most of the times people are praying amiss and that's why their prayers are not answered, and then they blame God. God is always selfless, and always has our best interests at hand, even if we don't think so.

Enigmas & Enchantment

How does contemplation of scholastic mysteries make us feel about God?

When we think of unsolved enigmas in science such as quantum leaps and crypto-science folk tales such as those of Atlantis and the Fountain of Youth, do we feel compelled to consider the existence of an enigmatic all-encompassing cryptic intellect or God?

When we read fairy tales or think of science's odd imaginings such as time travel, we may feel a certain odd sentimental spiritualism or pseudo-mystical curiosity about the wonders of existence. Are such feelings similar to meditations of the wonders of a hypothetical God or creator, and/or do such feelings invite us to wonder about the creative intellectual/imaginative powers of God?

When I watch episodes of the classic mystery-investigation TV series "In Search Of" (Leonard Nimoy) on YouTube or on cable television (broadcasted reruns), I encounter stories about Atlantis and the fabled Fountain of Youth and how such stories make me think of concepts such as magic, immortality, and netherworlds. As I feel a degree of intellectual respect towards such investigative explorations, I am motivated to think how other deep curiosities such as the existence of God or the allure of eternal atheism (and hence evolution) also warrant intellectual respect.

The great knights of King Arthur quested after the mythic Holy Grail of Christ, and folk tales of this quest have stirred discussion about the general religiosity and spirituality of great civilizations and how such discussions sometimes link mysticism with skepticism.

The Batman (DC Comics) fictional super-villain Riddler challenges society with deadly riddles designed to confound and confuse. The Riddler compels people to confront the anxious unpredictabilities of life's natural frailties. When we feel artistically curious about the Riddler (or intellectually curious about Atlantis of the Fountain of Youth), are we closer to pondering our humbling relationship with the omniscience (and authority) of God?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back